Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fluffysteve

Islam In Year 2500

when mankind spreads to the stars. how will muslims - assuming they a still around. how do you imagine muslims would perform their obligations. praying to meca when you're light years away. earth could be right above you or in any direction in 3d space.

then there is pray 5 times per day. if you lived on earths moon. one day lasts about 28 days isnt it?

PropellerAds

Hi Steve,

Interesting question :D Reputable scholars would have to make a ruling for each questionable instance. This is similar to the rulings about fasting in somewhere close to the north pole. You see, in Islam we fast from dawn until sundown ... but in a place close to the north pole, as I'm sure you know, it may stay light or dark for months. This complicates the issue; and, as there was no information on this from the The Prophet Muhammad, may Allah exalt his mention, the scholars did their best to come up with the answer.

The same will be done, God willing, if we live in outer space.

As a side note, Islam was sent for all creation. This means that if we encounter 'aliens' in outer space, as Muslims our obligation is to call them to Islam and the worship of none but Allah :D

Peace,

AS

As a side note, Islam was sent for all creation. This means that if we encounter 'aliens' in outer space, as Muslims our obligation is to call them to Islam and the worship of none but Allah :D

oh heck. :D imagine some ET's coming to mecca as pilgrims.

Edited by fluffysteve

Hi fluffysteve,

You mean to say in 494 years time, some people will be living on stars or the moon? :D I wanna live in the land of cheese (moon)! Not fair…. :D

Anyhoo, Lets be realistic, what are the chances of that happening? If such issue did occur then those Muslims (scholars) during that era will have to come to a conclusion and a ruling on where to face, when prayers will be set etc :D .

Wa Allahu’alim (God knows best).

InshaAllah (God willing), by that time there would be nice gadgets invented, which would calculate the required direction/time accurately. So no worries.

Edited by anonymous

Hi fluffysteve,

You mean to say in 494 years time, some people will be living on stars or the moon? :D I wanna live in the land of cheese (moon)! Not fair…. :D

Anyhoo, Lets be realistic, what are the chances of that happening? If such issue did occur then those Muslims (scholars) during that era will have to come to a conclusion and a ruling on where to face, when prayers will be set etc :D .

Wa Allahu’alim (God knows best).

i expect there is a fair chance of humanity spready to sthe stars, carring with it, its human cargo of ideologies of various kinds.

nuclear power could get us to the nearest stars in generation ships. futher with more potent exotic sources. perhaps vacuum energy can be tapped. or some fancy warp drive type thing. as it is, it is possible if humanity was bored, or desired it enough to use its resources in such a way.

Peace from our Lord,

when mankind spreads to the stars. how will muslims - assuming they a still around. how do you imagine muslims would perform their obligations. praying to meca when you're light years away. earth could be right above you or in any direction in 3d space.

You cannot know. We even don't know whether the Universe still exists in 500 years. According to the 3 monotheistic religions, there is a future day when heaven and earth pass away to be replaced by a new creation, and everybody who does not fit in into this new creation will go to hell ...

The issue whether you will go "to heaven or hell" will certainly be decided on some day, but whether Muslims will ever live on the moon God only knows.

So better care for the inevitable and leave the mere possibilities to the future :D Do not stop until You know that You will be among them who enter the joy of God's presence!

BTW: I read there is already a ruling for polar regions. Does anybody know what a Muslim has to do when ramadhan fells into the winter night when the sun never raises, or when it falls into summer day when there is no night for weeks (or months, in the extreme north)? And what about salat? Just out of curiosity, I will not miss much when no-one can tell me ...

i expect there is a fair chance of humanity spready to sthe stars, carring with it, its human cargo of ideologies of various kinds.

We have not even reached the moon. Yes, there have been visits to the earth's trabant, but it is impractible (costs tooooo much) to set up a colony there.

We are decades away from a visit to mars. And since machines can be sent with much less energy (they can be minimiyed, don't need oxygen, water, or food, and they don't leave waste like urine that has to be recycled), it may take centuries until there is a motif strong enough to sent a human to Mars.

Without the cold war, probably no-one would ever have paid the sum needed to take men to the moon.

With the greater planets, the distances are just one half of the problem, their huge mass and as a result of it the big gravitational difference between space and surface makes it very costful to launch a vehicle from there to space (remember, an astronaut will want to return :D ). You may use a (somewhat modified, I guess) version of space shuttle to land there, but the rockets used to launch a shuttle from earth will be far too weak to take the shuttle through the atmosphere of Jupiter or Saturn. Astronauts will rather choose to land on a Jupiter moon or so ...

And it will take more than 500 years to arrive at another star like alpha centauri, and by this I mean the travel time! If You drive too fast, a small piece will hit the vehicle like a projectile, what arrives in the destinatiion will look like a sieve .... if You have a "shield" to avoid this (in fact, the natural laws to build an all-protective shield still wait for discovery ...) the energy needed to "clear the way from dust" will be too much.

So while there is a possibility that men will build a colony in the earth's orbit (in a greater distance than the ISS, to avoid the colony slowing down and falling to earth), it is rather improbable that we will waste ressources to send a colony into sun's orbit or found one on the moon. And it is next to impossible that a manned space vehicle will ever leave the solar system. Unless, of course, new laws of nature detected will make this easier (cheaper) as now, and allow to cross the interstellar dust with a velocity comparable to that of light.

In an aera of rising energy prices there will possibly less space missions than now. Or the exploitation of new methods like "sailing with the solar wind", but this will probably be not efficient enough to carry heavy loads like an artificial ecosystem needed to keep men alive in orbit.

Peace from our Lord,

BTW: I read there is already a ruling for polar regions. Does anybody know what a Muslim has to do when ramadhan fells into the winter night when the sun never raises, or when it falls into summer day when there is no night for weeks (or months, in the extreme north)? And what about salat? Just out of curiosity, I will not miss much when no-one can tell me ...

Peace looking by!

Yes, there is a ruling. Since, you have the attitude problem of saying that you won't miss much if not given the knowledge, then why do you ask, and why do you come to the Forum? I would advise you to take your attitude somewhere else.

Peace out

then there is pray 5 times per day. if you lived on earths moon. one day lasts about 28 days isnt it?

First of all we as muslims talk nothing about tomorrow unless we say "If God Almighty wills " or inshallah . and what happens tomorrow or in 500 years time only God almighty knows .

In 500 years time if you are still around ( you western countries ) you mght all be muslims riding the stars :D .

as for your questions Muslim scholars will derive those rulings when they take place in accordance to the Quran and Our prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم s tradition .

Its not at all a big deal except for those with limitation in thinking .

Haven't any of you seen Star Trek, there aren't any Muslims in the future apparently. I guess Muslims, Jews and Christians must have all killed each other or something.

Please don't get angry I was only kidding!

About the fasting during Ramadan, shouldn't Muslims fast from the times of Dawn till Dusk as they would be in Mecca? What happens when you get closer to the poles?

Peace from our Lord,

Yes, there is a ruling. Since, you have the attitude problem of saying that you won't miss much if not given the knowledge, then why do you ask, and why do you come to the Forum? I would advise you to take your attitude somewhere else.

Peace out

I asked out of curiosity. And it was a remark "by the way", not the theme of my post. If You think You shold not answer to a curious questioner, it's ok.

I said I would not miss much because I am neither Muslim, nor do I live an a polar region, so this problem doesn't bother me.

Please read again the post You answered to, and not only the BTW paragraph, and then think about whether You judged my "attitude" in the right way!

Assalamu Alaikum, for all the people who are concerned here is the Islamic Ruling regarding what to do in case you live close to the North or South Pole. I hope it satisfies you. The Deen of Islam is for all places and for all times, and the scholars will derive what has to be done in abnormal situations when that time comes. Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

Prayer and Fasting in the Two Poles

Date of Reply 04/Nov/2004

Topic Of Fatwa Times of Prayer, Fasting: Rulings & Regulations

Country Applied Latvia

Question of Fatwa As-Salaam `Alaykum. I would be very grateful if you please let me know about the timings for Fajr, Maghrib and Isha' prayers near the two poles where the sun does not rise or set for some couple of weeks during the year. Your earliest response will be very much appreciated. Jazakum Allah Khayran.

Name of Mufti Group of Muftis

Content of Reply

Wa`alaykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

First and foremost, we’d like to make it clear that the religion of Islam seeks not to cause any hardship to its adherents or burden them beyond their capabilities. Easiness and facilitation are of the main characteristics of Islam. Almighty Allah says: (Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks.) (Al-Ma’idah: 6)

This concept of facilitation and easiness in Islam are clearly manifest in its simple and flexible legislations. In taking into consideration different conditions facing people, Islam facilitates its rulings in a way that such diversity comes to term with the application of Shari`ah rulings, without being divorced from the reality whatsoever. The question in point, serves as an example of how Islam seeks facilitation in its legislations.

When a person lives in such an area (i.e. near the two poles), he/she should follow the prayer timing and fasting of the nearest country that has a regular schedule or he can pray and fast according to the timings of the cities that are nearest to them in the normal time zone, i.e. below 64 degrees north or above 64 degrees south.

In his well-known book, Fiqh As-Sunnah, Sheikh Sayyed Sabiq states:

Scholars differ about what the Muslims who are in areas where the day is extremely long and the night is short should do. What timings should they follow? Some say they should follow the norms of the areas where the Islamic legislation took place (i.e. Makkah or Madinah). Others say that they should follow the timings of the area that is closest to them which has normal days and nights.

Elaborating more on the issue, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, adds:

At the poles, that is at 90 N and 90 S the sun does not set for six months continuously, with the exception of one day of the first equinox and then remains risen above the horizon for the other six months continuously with the exception of one day of the second equinox.

Even below 90 N down to 60 N and above 90 S up to 60 S the days and nights are abnormally long or short during the summer and winter seasons respectively. At one time, this was a theoretical issue, but now, Alhamdulillah, Islam has reached to these regions and many Muslims are living there.

Muslim jurists considered this situation long time ago. They based their Ijtihad on the verse of the Qur'an that says, (Allah does not burden a person beyond his/her capacity.) (Al-Baqarah :286)

There is also a Hadith, reported in the books of Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah, in which the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, described the situation at the time of the appearance of Dajjal. He said, “When the Dajjal will come to deceive the people, he will remain on the earth for forty days, one of which will be as long as a year, the second as long as a month, the third as long as a week and the remaining days as your normal days.” One of the Companions stood and asked the Messenger of Allah, 'On the day which will be as long as a year, would it be sufficient to offer only five prayers of the day?' The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, replied, “No, but calculate.”

The aforementioned Hadith gives a principle of determining the times of prayers and fasts in abnormal situations. Thus, according to the Ijtihad based on the above verse of the Qur'an and the Hadith, Muslim jurists have given the name 'abnormal zones' to the areas where the days and nights are unusually long or short.

A conference of Muslims jurists and astronomers was held in Istanbul about 35 years ago. All the jurists gathered there agreed that the areas above 64 degrees latitude in the north and below 64 degrees latitude in the south should be considered 'abnormal zones' whereby people should not follow the movement of the sun, but they should follow the movement of the clock for their five daily prayers and fasting. They can pray and fast according to the timings of the cities that are nearest to them in the normal time zone, i.e. below 64 degrees north or above 64 degrees south

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545936"]SOURCE:[/url]

By the time we're travelling in space I don't think that anyone would still be religious.

Peace Mr. Danger,

By the time we're travelling in space I don't think that anyone would still be religious.

You might be in for a surprise, When we will be travelling in space then the vastness of the Universe will open to us and to the public in general and then Allah Willing, our minds and hearts will also open up to the Greatness of our Creator THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE. umAhmad.

Hi Steve,

Peace,

AS

:D

Gog and Magog are thought to be aliens by a Muslim scientist (and I find his arguments convincing), so I doubt they will want to convert... unless there are other aliens.

As for traveling to other stars, it's quite possible that we'll be able to do it in 500 years. 500 years ago, no one could have imagined internet, computers, tv, radio, etc..

:D

Assalamu Alaikum, InshaAllah there will be Scholars in the year 2500 when we will all be long gone, and they will decide according to the Quran and Hadeeth How to fulfill the obligations of Islam if things become too HItech and we start living in Space Ships.

This Topic will notw be closed, because we could go on speculating and going in circles.

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.