Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue Of Halal Meat

:sl:

Peace

The question is, do they slaughter their animals in Allah's name or in Jesus' name?

I cannot truely answer that one as I don't know what goes on today. What I can say is that I have had occasion to visit abatoirs in the past and from what I can remember no name was mentioned as the animals were slaughtered. Maybe nowadays they are slaughtered in the name of "profit tesco" :sl:

I don't think you meant to say "Islam" here. Because Islam cannot complicate anything. Islam is the path Allah chose for us to follow.

No you are right, certainly a typo on my part, Islam itself is pure, it is man that causes's complications, sorry for the typo.

The Qur'an does tell us that an animal must be sacrificed in a certain way for it to be lawful. Here is the verse you mentioned:

The verse you quoted was 5:3 and I differ with your statement in that I do not see where this verse tells us that we have to slaughter an animal in a certain way. I grant you it tells us what we cannot eat if the animal has been killed in a certain way. Let us though give consideration to the verse that tells us we can eat what trained dogs and falcons catch. I could also add that at the time of revelation it would not be amiss to suppose that birds or game animals may have been killed by arrows and spears. Would these not fall into the category of struck by an object - a violent blow. I don't think so as the hunting was an legitimate practice.

This verse was revealed before the one I quoted above. It was abrogated by the previous one. The conditions of the first three are clearly written in both verses (animals slaughtered in the name of any but Allah, swine, and dead animals) but Allah added more conditions.

How can you make such an argument after reading 5:3? The practice of halaal slaughtering has been outlined by none other than Allah. Animals must not only be halaal to begin with, but they must be properly killed or they are haraam for consumption.

We will have to differ on this one as I do not believe that God abrogated any verses but we have been down this road before so lets leave this part alone.

One question for you and it is a serious question: If my memory serves well I can remember the method of slaughter employed at these houses. I witnessed cows being killed via a high powered "gun" (thats the best I can describe it) directly into the brain. As the beast was struck by an object albeit deliberately is this halal or haram, and as I said earlier, no name was mentioned over the beast as it was being slaughtered.

Peace

Chris

PropellerAds

The verse you quoted was 5:3 and I differ with your statement in that I do not see where this verse tells us that we have to slaughter an animal in a certain way.

A lot of people these days (or even in the past) slaughter their animals either by hitting it or strangling it until it is dead, and then cutting it across the neck.

I'm sure you believe this is haraam, so how does the verse not name the conditions for proper slaughtering of animals?

I grant you it tells us what we cannot eat if the animal has been killed in a certain way.

Are you defining "slaughter" as the cutting of the throat? Because slaughtering is also the killing of animals for consumption, not just the case of cutting their throats. Seems like we might be using two different definitions for it.

If you mean that the verse does not tell us in which way to cut an animal's throat, I agree with you. If you mean that it doesn't tell us the proper methods of killing animals for consumption, then I disagree.

I could also add that at the time of revelation it would not be amiss to suppose that birds or game animals may have been killed by arrows and spears. Would these not fall into the category of struck by an object - a violent blow. I don't think so as the hunting was an legitimate practice.

It sounds as though you're saying the verse is wrong. That Allah says "violent blow' even though He did not mean it.

In any case, I would refer you to a narration from the prophet on the matter, but judging from your last few posts, you probably wouldn't take the Hadiths as a source of knowledge.

If we were to get technical again, "blow" is not the word you would use to describe the act of something penetrating the skin. That would be "shoot", "stab" or "pierce". A blow is most often delivered by a blunt object. It is an impact of an object hitting another with force.

One question for you and it is a serious question: If my memory serves well I can remember the method of slaughter employed at these houses. I witnessed cows being killed via a high powered "gun" (thats the best I can describe it) directly into the brain. As the beast was struck by an object albeit deliberately is this halal or haram, and as I said earlier, no name was mentioned over the beast as it was being slaughtered.

Is the animal dead as a result of the gun?

Peace Redeem

A lot of people these days (or even in the past) slaughter their animals either by hitting it or strangling it until it is dead, and then cutting it across the neck.

I'm sure you believe this is haraam, so how does the verse not name the conditions for proper slaughtering of animals?

I sure do, its cruel and wicked.

Are you defining "slaughter" as the cutting of the throat? Because slaughtering is also the killing of animals for consumption, not just the case of cutting their throats. Seems like we might be using two different definitions for it.

Yes I do and yes I think we are.

In any case, I would refer you to a narration from the prophet on the matter, but judging from your last few posts, you probably wouldn't take the Hadiths as a source of knowledge.

Please do not shy away from quoting whatever you wish. I am not averse of reading anything that may improve my knowledge, none of us should be. As we have free will I can choose to accept or reject.

Is the animal dead as a result of the gun?

Yes it/they were. It was a shocking experience but there was no outward signs of pain and death was instant which is more than I can say for animals sacrificed where I live.

Peace

Chris

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Christians are still the people of the book and they are kuffar. However, we are allowed to eat their meat and we don't even have to ask them how they slaughtered the cattle or other animal. If we have the knowledge that the animal was slaughtered in an unislamic fashion then this is another story.

A proof that Christians are still people of the book is that in Qur'an they are warned against the Trinity and against believing in the Sonship of Jesus.

In the future we know that Isa ben Maryam alayhissalam will give the people (Christians and Jews) the choice between Islam or war. He is going to abolish Jizya.

... However, we are allowed to eat their meat and we don't even have to ask them how they slaughtered the cattle or other animal. If we have the knowledge that the animal was slaughtered in an unislamic fashion then this is another story.

I cant disagree with you more (from a Shaffi perspective anyway). We covered this in much detail in my fiqh classes.

My other (hanafi) shaykh also mentioned that it is impermissible in most circumstances.

From a more general ruling:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=449&CATE=29"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=...449&CATE=29[/url]

ÈÓã Çááå ÇáÑÃãä ÇáÑÃíã

Bismillā hir Raḥmā nir Raḥīm

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

ÇÔúåóÃõ Çäú áøÂ Çöáåó ÇöáóøÇ Çááøåõ æó ÇóÔúåóÃõ Çóäóø ãõÃóãóøÃð ÇÚóÈúÃõå æó ÑÓæáå

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa Ašh hadu anna Muḥammadun ʿabduhu wa rasūluhu

I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã):

Abu Hajira bin Abdul Hamid:

The ﺩöﻴáDaleel-Evidence you presented was refreshing. Usually what is offered are opinions with titles following without evidence from Quran and Sunnah. The explanation you provided was concise and clear for those who seek to follow the truth and not the nafs (Desires) food cravings. Understanding the historical background on why a ayat verse was revealed is very important in the science of Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence)

Surah Ali Imran 3:1-8

# 3:1 (Y. Ali) A. L. M.

# 3:2 (Y. Ali) Allah. There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-Subsisting, Eternal.

# 3:3 (Y. Ali) It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong).

# 3:4 (Y. Ali) Then those who reject Faith in the Signs of Allah will suffer the severest penalty, and Allah is Exalted in Might, Lord of Retribution.

# 3:5 (Y. Ali) From Allah, verily nothing is hidden on earth or in the heavens.

# 3:6 (Y. Ali) He it is Who shapes you in the wombs as He pleases. There is no god but He, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

# 3:7 (Y. Ali) He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is allegorical, seeking discord, and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.

# 3:8 (Y. Ali) "Our Lord!" (they say), "Let not our hearts deviate now after Thou hast guided us, but grant us mercy from Thine own Presence; for Thou art the Grantor of bounties without measure.

Salam

One time, I placed two patties in the microwave stove. One was from a halal store and the other was from a regular store. After one or two minutes, I checked the patties and I saw that blood came out of the meat from the regular store, but I did not see any blood coming out from the halal meat.

The consumption of blood is not allowed.

Here is a video I found of on a halal slaughterhouse, the first clip is the bolt gun method, the rest is the halal slitting the throat method.

Lol, the Barbarity of Halal slaughter!

Arg!

Presented by Dr. Abdul Majid Katme

The Islamic (halal) method of slaughter can be described as follows:[using large font size is not allowed]

The animal has to be lawful to eat, alive, healthy, to be slaughtered only for the reason of food, in the name of The Creator, Allah (s.w.t) and not for any other reasons (it has to be well-fed, not thirsty handled and moved gently and individually).

The slaughter-man must be in possession of a clear mind and not under the influence of alcohol or drugs, trained in the job, with an awareness of what he is doing.

The act of slaughter (Al-Dhabh) starts by pronouncing the name of Allah (s.w.t), The Creator (BISMILLAH ALLAHU AKBAR ), to take His permission and in order to make the Slaughter-man accountable and responsible and to give compassion and mercy to the animal during this act. Besides, any action we do in our daily life should be commenced with the mention of the name of Allah (s.w.t ) The Most Kind, The Most Merciful.

The Qur’an says:

“And eat not of that where on Allah’s name has not been mentioned for verily it is abomination.

( Surah Anam 6/121)

Then, by a very, very sharp knife (which should be kept like a surgeon’s knife in sharpness and cleanliness, as previously stated by DR Ghulam Khan (UFAW, 1971), a Deep swift cut done instantaneously and quickly to the blood vessels of the neck (the two caroid arteries which carry blood to the brain and head, the two jugular veins which bring blood from the brain back to the heart), the trachea (windpipe) and the oesophagus (gullet), but the central nervous system (the spinal cord) should be kept safe and intact (not cut).

This deep, large cut through all the blood vessels of the neck causes acute blood loss and haemorrhagic shock: we know the blood is under great pressure , especially in the big carotid arteries (systolic pressure ) and at high speed and, according to physical law, the pressure always goes from the high to low resistance - the point of the cut is the scene of low resistance for blood to and from the brain. As we have a fully intact, alive heart, so most of the blood is going to be pumped and poured out instantaneously and quickly under pressure leading to a rapid fall in the blood pressure. Thus depriving the brain of its main source of oxygen and glucose, and with no blood which is necessary to keep the animal alive and functioning and able to deal with any perceptive sensation this leads to anoxia and almost immediate loss of consciousness (anesthetization or “stunning†). The cerebrospinal fluid pressure falls even more rapidly than the blood pressure because of the jugular veins being cut, and this results in a deep shock and more loss of consciousness.

The animal, at this stage after the cut, is in a stable and quiet state with no movement or any distressed behavior. One would assume, if there was any pain or suffering, it would kick, move or show signs. After this short resting phase, and because the brain is deprived of oxygen and blood due to the huge amount of bleeding, the heartbeats increase in order to increase the flow of blood to the brain and other deprived areas. Tonic and clonic involuntary contractions and convulsions start and occur as automatic physiological reflexes in order to send and push blood up, especially to the brain. These contractions and convulsions are ‘painless’ (not, as the layman would imagine, that the kicking is due to the pain) especially when the animal is already unconscious and still has an intact spinal cord with safe nerve centers to the limbs, muscles and organs. So, we have a huge amount of bleeding from the initial cut then blood loss is continuing with the squeezing pressure of these contractions and convulsions, leading to maximum bleeding-out and less retention of blood in the carcass, giving a better quality of meat [both safer and healthier (this is like direct method of slaughter, “but without stunningâ€)].

I would like to end this section of my talk with at least one testimony from, for example, Lord Horder GCVO, MD, FRCP, who explained this type of slaughtering scientifically (and without the use of stunning):

‘The animal loses consciousness immediately. It is difficult to conceive a more painless and rapid mode of death; for a few seconds after the cut is made, the animal makes no movement its body is then convulsed, the convulsive movements continue for about a minute and then cease. The interpretation of this fact is clear: the cut is made by a knife so sharp and so skillfully handled that a state of syncope with its associated unconsciousness follows instantaneously upon the severing of the blood pressure. The movement of the animal which begins at about 90 seconds are epileptiform in nature and are due to the blood-less state of the brain (cerebral ischemia with complete anoxaemia). Sensation has been abolished at the moment of the initial syncope.’

Of course, there have been many other statements by eminent scientists giving the same explanations and conclusions about the direct act of slaughtering such as DR Leonard Hill (1923), Sir Lovatt Evans, Professor Harold Burrow, I M Levingen (1979), Professor F R Bell. Mr. Openshaw, Mr. Hayhurst etc. (Some are quoted, in Impact Magazine 1985).

Let me quote Prof. Leonard Hill, F.R.C.V.S, who strongly believed and expressed his views in his article – that the incision applied in the Ritual Slaughter causes no pain. Any Surgeon today knows that sudden big injuries are not felt at the time of infliction. Pain comes later when the wound is (septic, and) inflamed. Structures beneath the skin apart from isolated sensory nerve endings are insensitive to the knife.

Apart from the clear Divine laws and orders to us, and the clear physiological and scientific evidence, I would like to mention one golden rule in Islam which, again, fits into the perfection of mercy to every individual animal.

The rule states “Any action or method which will definitely lead to some harm damage or suffering is to be rejected or, any action which can be suspected to lead to a prohibited act is also to be rejected (e.g. eating dead animals or consuming blood etc.). So any method of slaughtering which can give us more blood or a dead animal [before the cut (for slaughtering) is made] is rejectedâ€

Two facts are indisputably established by the above Professor:

a) That a big injury such as throat cutting is not felt at the moment of infliction.

b) That the cutting of big arteries in the throat instantly arrests the circulation in the brain and abolishes consciousness.

Prof. Charles Lovett Evans, F.R.C.V.S., has this to say:-

" As anyone who has ever witnessed the act is well aware, the animal lies absolutely still the moment the vessels arc cut, and it is only a minute or so later that asphyxia! convulsions set in. Consciousness we know is lost long before this " .

" On physiological principles, it is clear that when such large vessels are severed the arterial blood pressure falls at once to a very low level, moreover the carotid arteries being severed, much of the blood supply to the brain is immediately lost and the result is immediate loss of consciousness. To consider that the animal suffers pain is, in my opinion, quite absurd. I consider the method to be equal to any ".

Prof. Leonard Hill says that no death could be more merciful, taking into account that the animal unlike man, has no knowledge or fear of impending death. The death is as quiet and merciful as that inflicted on murderers by hanging; to them, of course, the whole of this agony is in the advancing fear of death which is dated and timed and known to the victim.

On a lighter note I found this from ManiacMuslim, I found it quite humorous.

What’s the deal with killing the goats? Let them live!

I’m sorry but when a bunch of green-loving hippies start lecturing me on nutrition and describing the Zabihification and Qurbanization of cows and goats as “inhumane†because animals are living creatures then maybe they should stop eating or smoking so much grass because they’re screwing up the environmental balance in their brains and in this world. If humans aren’t allowed to eat animals, then tell the animals to stop eating us. I lost three friends last year because goats mauled them on the street and another friend was in critical condition when a cow started eating him because he made some racist remarks to the cow. It’s unfair that animals can eat humans but not vice versa. I say eat up, be merry!

Have these hippies ever talked to the goats and cows and asked them what it’s like to be sacrificed on Eid? For some reason I’m getting the idea they think it’s like this:

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmaniacmuslim(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/qurbani1.jpg[/img]

This couldn’t be further from the truth. I actually talk to animals all the time and they tell me it’s more like this:

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmaniacmuslim(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/qurbani2.jpg[/img]

Basically they like it and wait all year for this day. It might not seem like it but you can’t speak on behalf of goats when you never talk to them. Eid is a goat’s favourite day of the year. And biryani lovers.

Alhamdullilah!

Lol, the Barbarity of Halal slaughter!

Did you even watch the video? Did you even watch 30 seconds of it? Watch the video and tell me those animals aren't suffering.

Did you even watch the video? Did you even watch 30 seconds of it? Watch the video and tell me those animals aren't suffering.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=731496&hl="]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=731496&hl=[/url]

Orthodox is their a bite size version of what you posted?

Did you even read what I posted?

I did read it which is why I asked you that question. In the article you posted its state:

The animal loses consciousness immediately. It is difficult to conceive a more painless and rapid mode of death; for a few seconds after the cut is made, the animal makes no movement its body is then convulsed, the convulsive movements continue for about a minute and then cease.

that footage shows that the animals lose consciousness.

Are you afraid of admitting that the halal method does not do what it is supposed to do.

I have seen many halal slaughterings and the animals do not lose consciousness, some even get up and walk around with their necks still slit.

Saleri, if it eases your conscience to stun animals to death and then eat them, do your thing. But if you're going to complain about cruelty to animals, maybe you shouldn't be stunning them in the first place. Maybe you shouldn't advocate for their death. Perhaps you should leave em alone, and eat grass alongside them.

People have been slaughtering animals for thousands of years. And uhh, there are no stun guns in most of the world. But there are plenty of knives, and that is the prescribed method that every Muslim can adhere to. If an animal gets up after its throat has been cut, that's a reflection of poor work on the butcher's part.

Islam did not introduce cruelty to animals. It did everything to prevent animal suffering, while ensuring that human beings would be able to consume the meat of animals. The halal method does what it is supposed to; ensure that the animal dies, that it suffers as little as it can, and that the requirements of the Qur'an are met.

We don't eat animals that are bludgeoned, stunned, or shocked to death. We don't eat animals that haven't been drained of blood. If you want to disobey God and do what goes against His commandments so that you'll feel better about the few moments before your butcher slices open the animal you want to consume, I believe that's your worldly prerogative.

This section is for quoting the rulings and views of scholars regarding controversial issues, and whether its compulsory or voluntarily, permissible or unlawful. Post your views only if you are a scholar. That section is not open for discussing the logic behind them, nor for criticizing such issues. It is thus not suitable for non-Muslims to post here, unless they have questions or need more info. Other than that, please keep in mind that our Islamic rulings are not open for criticism in this section.

Salam.

Are you afraid of admitting that the halal method does not do what it is supposed to do.

Is this based on facts or your opinion?

I have seen many halal slaughterings and the animals do not lose consciousness, some even get up and walk around with their necks still slit.

If the incision is not made with a sharp enough knife and is not deep enough to cut the two caroid arteries then, an animal can suffer pain and frantically move about.

Read this to to understand the humanness of the Halal method of slaughter, and why it is considered by both Muslim and many Non-muslims as healthier and less painful to the Animal.

Halal: The most humane slaughter

By Syed Ashraf Ali published 1 year ago

Original Article Source: The New Nation, Dhaka

The great festival of Eid-ul Adha, popularly known in this subcontinent as Bakrid, is celebrated by the Muslims all over the world on the tenth of Dhul-Hijja every year through sacrifices and prayers in memory of the glorious sacrifice of the prophets Ibrahim Khalilullah and Ismail Zabihullah (peace be upon them).

Millions of cattle are slaughtered on this auspicious day with a view to receiving the Divine Mercy through benevolence, Samaritanism, patience and constancy. This noble effort is, however, condemned by many ignorant non-Muslims, shrouded by total ignorance about the significance and sublime essence of Qurbani, as an act of wanton cruelty. What is more, the Islamic practice of slaughter or sacrifice by slitting the throat with a sharp knife has come under attack by some animal rights activists as being an inhuman form of cruelty to animals.

It is claimed that the slaughtering of an animal with a knife is the most painful and tortuous method of killing. Nothing can be farther from the truth. It has been established beyond any shadow of doubt, through impartial scientific experiments conducted in non-Muslim countries, that the Islamic method of slaughtering with a knife is the least painful and thus the most humane method of killing an animal.

An animal is being stunned in a slaughterhouse in BrazilIn most of the Western countries, it is required by law to stun the animals with a shot in the head before the slaughter. It is done with a view to rendering the animal unconscious and thereby preventing it from reviving before it is killed so as not to slow down the movement of the processing line. It is also used from a humanitarian point of view. It is presumed that this stunning prevents the animal from feeling pain before it dies. But research conducted in a non-Muslim country like Germany has come out with very surprising findings which nail to the counter the allegations against the Islamic method of slaughtering with a knife.

The intensive research conducted at the School of Veterinary Medicine, Hanover University in Germany was headed by Professor Wilhelm Schulze. He was assisted by Dr. Hazim. The study was named: "Attempts to objectify pain and consciousness in conventional (captive bolt pistol stunning) and ritual (Islamic method of cutting with knife) methods of slaughtering sheep and calves."

The results were most unexpected to the non-Muslim Westerners. The claim that the CBPS (Capital Bolt Pistol Stunning) method was least painful and most humane dashed to the ground. The findings testified to the fact that the slaughter of an animal with a sharp knife is the least painful and most humane of all methods of killing.

In the study several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skulls of all animals under experiment, touching the surface of the brain. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.

Some animals were then slaughtered, according to the Islamic method, by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular vein and the carotid arteries as well as the trachea and esophagus. Other animals were stunned with the aid of a 'Captive Bolt Pistol' (CBP).

During the experiment an electroencephalograph (EEG) and an electrocardiogram (ECG) recorded the condition of the brains and the hearts of all the animals during the course of slaughter and stunning.

The results were as follows:

Slaughtering with a knife (The Islamic Method)

1. The first 3 seconds from the time of the slaughter (in the Islamic Method) as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any recognisable pain during or after the incision.

2. During the following 3 second, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep-unconsciousness. This is due to the large quantity of blood gushing out of the body. The sudden and profuse bleeding from the incision on the neck causes a shock resulting in a state of unconsciousness due to severe shortage of blood supply to the vital centers located in the brain.

3. After the above-mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.

4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving out a maximum amount of blood from the body, thus resulting in hygienic meat for the consumers.

Captive Bolt Pistol (CBP) Stunning Method

1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.

2. But EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.

3. The hearts of animals stunned by CBP stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Islamic method, resulting in the retention of more blood in the meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.

CBP Method and mad cow disease (MCD)

The Western method of stunning animals with a shot in the head is not only severely painful, as shown by the above experiment, but it is also alarmingly unhygienic. There is rising concern (based on the findings of some researches) that the method may be a factor in the spread of Mad Cow disease (MCD) from cattle to human beings.

Two independent researches carried out recently at the Texas A & M University and by Canada's Food Inspection Agency discovered that a method called Pneumatic Stunning (in which a metal bolt is fired into the cow's brain and followed by a pulverising burst of 150 pounds of air pressure) delivered a force so explosive that it scattered brain tissue throughout the animal's body. The findings are really disturbing since brain tissue and spinal cord are the most infectious parts of an animal with Mad Cow Disease which causes Swiss cheese like holes in the brain of the infected animal. It is all the more alarming because 30 to 40 per cent of the American cattle are stunned by pneumatic guns before the slaughter.

As for the most modern method of electric stunning being practiced in many developed countries, the Meat Inspection Branch of the United States Department of Agriculture came to the following conclusion in 1953: "The use of electric stunning methods by plants which operate under federal meat inspection has not been permitted as a result of experiments which were conducted several years ago at the University of Chicago. These experiments indicated that electric stunning in hogs resulted in certain changes in the tissues which could not be differentiated by gross examination from similar changes produced by disease."

In 1955 the Danish Ministry of Justice issued a circular, which said, "Stunning with electricity causes extravasations in meat, sanguinary intestines and fracture in the spinal column, pelvis and the shoulder blades through shock. The blood in the meat makes it more susceptible to putrefaction and has a detrimental effect upon its taste. The properties of the meat which would co-operate with the salt in extracting the blood traces are interfered within the animal undergoing shock convulsions prior to slaughter."

In 1954 British regulations were amended and electric stunning was prohibited, "the reason being that stunning seriously affected the quality of British bacon."

It was also observed: "Electric stunning hastens the onset of putrefaction in meat. The explanation of the phenomenon lies in the high lactic acid level following electric shocks prior to bleeding. High lactic acid alters the bacterial resistance of meat."

If the head of the animal is severed by one sharp blow through guillotining or Bali at the sacrificial post, there will be sudden contraction of voluntary muscles, which will expel important nutrient fluids and, as in electric shock, some lactic acid will also form. What is more, since the heart will stop suddenly, there will not be sufficient bleeding which is needed for better and healthier meat.

It is evident from the above-mentioned studies that the Islamic slaughter of animals is a blessing to both the animal and the person who consumes it. It may, however, be mentioned in this connection that the Islamic method insists on several measures to make the slaughter lawful.

This is done to ensure maximum benefit to both the animal and the consumer.

The holy Prophet Muhammad's (peace be upon him) emphatic declaration in this regard should be mentioned first. The holy Prophet (pbuh) said: "Allah calls for mercy in everything, so be merciful when you kill and when you slaughter: sharpen your blade to relieve its pain."

According to a tradition transmitted by Muslim, the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) ordered a horned ram with black legs, a black belly and black round the eyes, and it was brought to him to be sacrificed. He told Bibi Ayesha Siddiqua (RA) to get the knife, and then told her to sharpen it with a stone. When she had done so he took it, then taking the ram he placed it on the ground and cut its throat.

The Islamic method indeed demands that the knife to be used for slaughtering animals must be sharp and used swiftly. The swift cut of vessels of the neck disconnects the flow of blood to the nerves in the brain responsible for pain. Thus the slaughtered animal feels no pain.

It may be mentioned in this connection that the movements and withering of the different limbs of the animal after the incision is made are not due to pain, but due to the contraction and relaxation of the muscles deficient in blood. The convulsions are due to the contraction of the muscles in response to the lack of oxygen in the brain cells.

The muscles, by these contractions, squeeze out blood from the blood vessels in the tissues to pour it into the central circulation system to be sent to the brain, but this is lost on the way (due to cutting of big vessels in the neck) and the brain cells consequently keep on sending messages to the muscles to wring out blood, until the animal dies.

Convulsions thus occur when the animal becomes unconscious. And because the slaughtered animal becomes unconscious for massive hemorrhage, it does not feel pain while bleeding.

The holy Prophet's (pbuh) kindness to the animals extended to such an extent that he also instructed the Muslims neither to sharpen the blade of the knife in front of the animals nor to slaughter an animal in front of others of its own kind. It is unfortunate that very few Muslims today abide by this noble and unparalleled instruction of the last and greatest Prophet.

While offering Qurbani on Eid-ul-Azha most of the Muslims unfortunately, ignore the above-mentioned humane instruction of the Apostle of God (phub) and recklessly slaughter camels and cows and lambs right in front of other animals. We not only fight shy of the holy Prophet's unique instruction but also very easily forget that the animals feel and suffer in the same way as the humans do.

Lastly, the Islamic method also insists that the cut should involve the windpipe (trachea), gullet (esophagus), and the two jugular veins without cutting the spinal cord. This method results in rapid gush of blood draining most of it from the animal's body. If the spinal cord is cut, the nerve fibres to the heart might be damaged leading to cardiac arrest, thus resulting in stagnation of blood in the blood vessels. The blood must be drained completely before the head is removed from the body. As most of the blood, which acts as medium of microorganisms, is removed the meat becomes purified and also remains fresh for a longer period as compared to the meat obtained through other methods of slaughtering like gullotining or decapitation, CBPS and electric stunning.

The Islamic method of slaughter is, therefore, not only the most humane and least painful but also the most hygienic of all the methods of killing animals.

I have a question.

In some places where halal meat is scarce, I tend to resort to buying vegetarian or seafood. I just found out that in one of the regular stalls I always go to, they use the same frying pan and sometimes even use the same oil to fry their foods..which means that the fish I'm having may or may not be fried with the same oil as they did with, say, pork. Does that mean I'm not allowed to eat the fish? Is it considered 'najis'? I also learnt that if your doubting it even the slightest bit, you're not allowed to eat the food? What should I do?

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-close-calif-slaughterhouse-abuse-video-042028865.html

on this issue a) if available we should always try to eat food we know has been slaughtered by a fellow believer b) even if one is not Muslim they should be leery of eating anything they didn't see killed c) when in doubt, don't eat meat...its not hard, I know. I say this because honestly I went for several months of eating primarily beans for my protein ( the only real reason besides taste for eating meat ) a couple years back when I was weight lifting [note: I was not Muslim at this time, it was actually suggested by my trainer as better and healthier than eating processed meat from the grocery store...think about that now, when I was kufir another kufir told me it was better to eat beans and stay away from the grocery store meat as much as possible..kind of makes ya think huh?]

What we think is not enough. Let's examine the results of a scientific experiment conducted in Hanover University, Germany:

• Al Shaddad Bin Aous has quoted this tradition of the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H.) "God calls for mercy in everything, so be merciful when you kill and when you slaughter, sharpen your blade to relieve its pain".

Many allegations have been made that Islamic slaughter is not humane to animals. However, Professor Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany, proved through an experiment, using an electroencephalograph (EEG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) that *Islamic slaughter is THE humane method of slaughter* and captive bolt stunning, practiced by the Western method, causes severe pain to the animal. The results surprised many. 

Experimental Details:

1. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of thebrain.

2. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.

3. Some animals were slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and carotid Arteries of both sides; as also the trachea and esophagusHalal Method.

4. Some animals were stunned using a captive bolt pistol humane slaughter by the western method.

5. During the experiment, EEG and ECG were recorded on all animals to record the condition of the brain and heart during the course of slaughter and stunning. 

Results and Discussion:

I - Halal Method

1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.

2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.

3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.

4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.

II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning

1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.

2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.

3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood inthe meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.

• Like 1

I would be interested if there is any documentation of this experiment so that I can use for reference in discussions with others.

I have a question.

In some places where halal meat is scarce, I tend to resort to buying vegetarian or seafood. I just found out that in one of the regular stalls I always go to, they use the same frying pan and sometimes even use the same oil to fry their foods..which means that the fish I'm having may or may not be fried with the same oil as they did with, say, pork. Does that mean I'm not allowed to eat the fish? Is it considered 'najis'? I also learnt that if your doubting it even the slightest bit, you're not allowed to eat the food? What should I do?

You are indeed blessed ... where I live there is nothing halal to be found ...

That being said, if you are buying any cooked food that has been fried then you are guzzling omega 6 oils which are very, very bad for you ... any goodness that the fish might contain is destroyed by vegetable oils.  Unless olive oil is used you are abusing your health.

On the legal side of things I don't think I would be of much help.

There is always something halal brother.  There are fruits, vegetables, & beans.  Between the three there are enough vitamins to keep your body going and give you natural energy.

Good point Dot.  I know I have used the hebrew national brand before as I like hot dogs but didn't want the pork.  In turn I had a very good hot dog that was healthier for me and was halal

The basic theme behind slaughter is to slaughter animal in the name of Allah (SWT) moreover people should eat that meat which is butchered with the name of Allah.

Brother Fathi, of course you should say "besm'Ellah hir rahman ir rah heem" (In the name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.) before consuming kosher meat, and any other food for that matter.