Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islaam-Sikhism

New Article At Islam-sikhism Site

Asalaamu 'alaykum

We have a new article at Islam-Sikhism examining how tenable, realistic, fair and just the proposal of 'Gender Equality' is.

geocities/islam_sikhism/women/equality/equal1.htm

Please send us your comments and please keep supporting us jazakumullah khaira

wa salaam

PropellerAds

You know what, I came to this site seeking to find out more about Islam because I thought, as a religion with such a large following, it must have something good to offer. I still think it does, however, I do not think that I will find it here where it is openly condoned to write such nonsense about other religions. My Sikhi teaches me that every religion has value. Kabir has contributed to the Guru Granth Sahib as has Guru Nanak Dev Ji. It saddens me that every link to this site leads to a false statement or misunderstood statement about Sikhi. Yes, Sikhs believe women are equal to men. Of course there are physiological differences; however, the religion states that women can do anything that men can. The reason some Sikh men and women dress the same is to promote such equity. Women can battle as well as men as is witnessed by Mai Bhago, etc. If Islam states that there is a difference and the genders should have their own aptitudes, that also is a valid argument. But you cannot say that one is right and one is wrong. They are just different. PS. The women of whom you speak (the ones that dress up to go to the gurdwara, etc) are usually there for a wedding (I've been to plently of Nikaahs where women dressed up provocatively...Australia, UK, Canada, USA) I personally believe that if you are in a place to pray, nothing should distract you from that purpose and if you are so easily distracted, it's your mind that needs adjustment. Unless a woman is prancing around nude in front of you, you should be able to do what you came to do.

PS. The women of whom you speak (the ones that dress up to go to the gurdwara, etc) are usually there for a wedding (I've been to plently of Nikaahs where women dressed up provocatively...Australia, UK, Canada, USA)

Hello Dear OneGOD.

Please, do refer to Islam first & thn look at the MUSLIMS practically. Don't see MUSLIMS first & then Islam. See here both above lines are very very different from each other. I hope you can understand tht wht I mean to say here.

Regarding, women's dress in Gurudwara - its completely depends on individuals BUT there is nothing mentioned about how to dress during your visit to Gurudwara or anywhere else in Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji But in Qur'an its clearly mentioned tht how to dress.

I personally believe that if you are in a place to pray, nothing should distract you from that purpose and if you are so easily distracted, it's your mind that needs adjustment. Unless a woman is prancing around nude in front of you, you should be able to do what you came to do.

I don't agree with you here. Because Human Nature is itself is not like wht you said here. Infact, if a beautiful woman comes with putting all perfume, make-up etc. thn definitely MEN are going to see her atleast once - even if your eyes are closed because of Perfume. And thn u are talking about Nude Woman, which is never & ever will be allowed to enter the Worship places. These all things are only good whn we talk BUT in practical its not like tht. Please, don't be offended.

May Allah (SWT) guide you on the right path.

Dear OneGod

This site: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.geocities(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/islam_sikhism/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.geocities(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/islam_sikhism/[/url] clearly proves so many things about sikhism, which I think are correct because first of all they are with references & secondly, if they are wrong thn you should inform thm by Email and Even let me know here, So I can also check the Contradictions & Help you out.

In this, even I'll get knowledge & its good for me to give Dawah to my family also (they are non-muslims)

Thnx for supporting me & urself :D

I guess I can say the same to you. Please look at Sikhism first and then at Sikhs. Religion is not always practiced the way it is meant to be. I was just pointing out how meaningless your deduction was by using one phrased the same way. Just because some women choose to dress a certain way doesn't mean that is what is proposed by Sikhi.

The SGGS states "People are entangled in the enjoyment of fine clothes, but gold and silver are only dust. They acquire beautiful horses and elephants, and ornate carriages of many kinds. They think of nothing else, and they forget all their relatives. They ignore their Creator; without the Name, they are impure.†It also states 'Friend, all other wear ruins bliss, That which to the limbs is torment, and with foul thinking fills the mind." I think that from those two quotes you can clearly deduce as a logical thinking person that as a Sikh one should wear plain, simple, free-flowing, comfortable, modest clothes. As I've stated before, Sikhi does not give you specific rules to follow in a transient world. It shows you a path and it is up to you to follow that path. For some, this is the way religion works for them. Others need set criteria so one is not necessarily better than the other.

I would not claim to know the Qu'ran (since I cannot read Arabic) and I definitely would provide a translated reference if I was making claims about Islam. I think my finding these two quotes negates your sentence that "...there is nothing mentioned about how to dress during your visit to Gurudwara or anywhere else in Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji" so that's one of the MANY mistakes on that site to which you keep referring. I still think that site is a travesty and I can refute 90% of the trash that is on there. If you want to go post by post, we can do it over the next umpteen months. One is checked off anyhow.

Lastly, I still believe that nothing should distract you from prayer if you intend to pray. My example was just that, a hypothetical...practically, it shouldn't happen Regardless, I guess it comes down to how you pray. Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that you shouldn't have to be in a specific place to recite the name of God or pray. You can do it anywhere. When I pray, I close my eyes and close out everything around me so in order for me to actually notice these distractions, I would probably have to be touched. If one prays with their eyes open or does not meditate as deeply as I, perhaps you are right, they may well notice smells or clothes. I feel personally, for myself, that if I'm noticing what a person is wearing or how they smell, I'm not really into praying too much if I can let such little things distract me. That's my personal opinion. I can understand that yours is different. The thing with mine though, it doesn't require that anyone change but me. It puts the power in my hands and nobody elses.

Oh...didn't you say that you used to be a Sikh? You must not have been a very good one if you don't even know your basic scripture? As you can deduce, there is a hint of sarcasm there. I'm questioning whether you were ever a Sikh or if you are just pretending you were one, for what purpose I know not.