Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
emel

Drug Trial Goes Wrong

:D

Six men remain in intensive care after being taken ill during a clinical drugs trial in north-west London. The healthy volunteers were testing an anti-inflammatory drug at a research unit based at Northwick Park Hospital when they suffered a reaction.

Relatives are with the patients, who suffered multiple organ failure. Two men are said to be critically ill.

An investigation has begun at the unit, run by Parexel, which said it followed recommended guidelines in its trial.

The men were being paid to take part in the early stages of a trial for the drug to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and leukaemia until they were taken ill on Monday within hours of taking it.

Eight volunteers were involved, but two were given a placebo at the unit which is on Northwick Park Hospital's grounds but is run independently.

TeGenero, which manufactures the anti-inflammatory drug, described the reactions as "shocking developments".

Scotland Yard said officers are talking to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and doctors.

On Thursday morning, a hospital spokesman said there had been no change in the men's clinical condition overnight.

One of the critically ill victims has been named as student Ryan Wilson, 21, of Highbury, north London.

Another who was taken seriously ill has been confirmed as a New Zealander.

It was the first time the drug TGN1412, designed to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and leukaemia, had been tested on humans.

Within hours of taking it on Monday, the six young volunteers had to be admitted to intensive care.

They "went down like dominoes", according to Raste Khan, 23, one of two trial volunteers who escaped unscathed after being given a placebo.

He told the Sun newspaper: "They began tearing their shirts off complaining of fever, then some screamed out that their heads felt like they were going to explode.

"It was terrifying because I kept expecting it to happen to me at any moment. But I felt fine and I didn't know why."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4811626.stm"]Read more...[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4807042.stm"]Further information[/url]

Have you ever considered taking part in a drugs trial? If so, how was the experience and did you feel you recieved enough information of the possible side effects and dangers associated with the drug, to be able to give informed consent?

PropellerAds

:D

Yeh i read this, apprarently they get thousands of pounds