Sign in to follow this  
Jihad4Jannah

Honey

Honey

honey.jpg

"Make use of the two remedies: honey and the Quran"

Muhammad (saws)

[at-sahih al-Bukhari, Tirmidhi, ibn Majah & Baihaqi]

"And the lord inspired the bee, saying: Take your habitations in the mountains and in the trees ad in what they erect. Then, eat of all fruits and follow the ways of your Lord made easy (for you)'. There comes forth from their bellies a drink of varying color wherein is healing for men. Verily in this is indeed a sign for people who think."

[16:68-69]

Muhammad has informed us of the great benefits found in honey. In recent years, scientific support is beginning to emerge confirming the beneficial effects of honey on certain medical and surgical conditions as well.

You may not be surprised to learn that Australia a few years ago approved honey as a medicine, beginning to sell it in Pharmacies!

Honey is one of nature's oldest and most treasured sweeteners (even if it does take a little nerve to gather), so we're never surprised when we hear about its benefits as a food source. It has occupied a prominent place in traditional medicines throughout world history. It is known that the ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, Chinese, Greeks and Romans employed honey for wounds and diseases.

In ancient time, honey was seen as a symbol of wealth and happiness. It was associated with strength, beauty and longevity.

Today, honey is widely available in most communities but its medical potential remains grossly underutilised.

Nutritionally, honey is a healthy, easily digestible, natural and energy rich food. It contains carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, enzymes and vitamins. One tablespoon of honey provides 60 calories and contains 11g of carbohydrates, 1mg of calcium, 0.2mg of iron, 0.lmg of vitamin B and 1mg of vitamin C. Honey also contains glucose, fructose and saccharine (70%). Besides the above, copper, iodine, and zinc exist in it in small quantities.

The Prophet has also told us of the healing found within honey for a variety of medical problems, including stomach ailments.

One hadith, reported by Bukhari, states that a man came to the Prophet because his brother had a stomach disorder.

The Prophet said "Let him drink honey." The man returned a second time and again the Prophet responded again, "Let him drink honey."

The man returned again, and said "I have done that." The Prophet then responded, "Allah has said the truth, but your brother's stomach has told a lie. Let him drink honey." He drank it and was cured.

Source:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.geocities(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mutmainaa/food/honey.html"]Honey[/url]

PropellerAds

:D

:P for the post ukhti!

I love honey very much, especially in tea. Sometimes I get wild and want to combine with with chocolate for the ultimate in too-sweet goodness :P

Recently I came across some Milk & Honey soap and I dunno if it's any better or if it's actually got those things in it, but I like to think it does and that makes me feel better when i get out of the shower.

More on Honey From Wikipedia

Honey is a sweet and viscous fluid produced by bees and other insects from the nectar of flowers. The flavor and color of the substance is largely determined by the type of the flowers from which the nectar is gathered. Common flavours of honey include orange blossom honey, tupelo honey, clover honey, blackberry, and blueberry honey. In Australia, Tasmanian leatherwood honey is considered a delicacy for its unique flavour. Manuka honey from New Zealand is said by some to have more special healing properties than other honeys, therefore sells at a premium price.

Similar to honey, and usually bottled and sold as honey is honeydew, which is made from the sweet secretions of aphids, scale, or other plant sap s-u-c-king insects. Honeydew from pine forests has a "piney" taste and is prized for medicinal use in Europe and Turkey.

A side-effect of bees collecting nectar and pollen to make honey is pollination, which is crucial for flowering plants.

The main uses of honey are in cooking, baking, spreading on bread or toast, and adding to various beverages such as tea. Because honey is hygroscopic (drawing moisture from the air), a small quantity of honey added to a pastry recipe will retard it from becoming stale. Raw honey also contains enzymes that help in its digestion. It also contains several vitamins and antioxidants.

Honey is a main ingredient in the beverage, mead, which is also known as "honey wine".

Honey is also used in traditional folk medicine. It is an excellent natural preservative. Honey is, however, not always healthy. Because it is gathered from flowers in the wild, there are certain times and places when the honey produced is toxic, see Grayanotoxin. Rhododendrons and azaleas have nectar that is poisonous to humans although harmless to bees, producing the toxic honey. In some areas of the world the hives are emptied immediately after the flowering season and cleaned of any residue to prevent accidental poisoning. Such poisonous honey is very rarely encountered. The shape of the Azalea flower makes access to nectar difficult for honeybees, and during the time at which Azaleas bloom there are almost always other flowers in bloom that are more appealing to the honeybee.

Honey (as well as other sweeteners) is also potentially extremely dangerous for infants. This is because, when mixed with the non-acidic digestive juices of an infant it creates an ideal medium for botulinum spores to grow and produce toxin. Botulinum spores are among the few bacteria that survive in honey, but also are widely present in the environment. While these spores are harmless to adults, because of stomach acidity, an infant's digestive system is not yet developed enough to destroy them, and the spores could potentially cause infant botulism. For this reason, it is advised that neither honey, nor any other sweetener, should be given to children under the age of 18 months.

Honey does not spoil. Because of its high sugar concentration, it kills bacteria by osmotically lysing them. Natural airborne yeasts can not become active in it because the moisture content is too low. Natural, raw, honey varies from 14% to 18% moisture content. As long as the moisture content remains under 18%, virtually no organism can successfully multiply to significant amounts in honey.

The study of pollens and spores in raw honey (Melissopalynology) can determine floral sources of the honey. Because bees carry an electrostatic charge, and can attract other particles, the same techniques of Melissopalynology can be used in area environmental studies of radioactive particles, dust, or particulate pollution.

Almost all vegans avoid honey because it is technically an animal product.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Honey"]Source[/url]

AS

Edited by Allah's Slave

and MORE about honey's uses!

Listed below are some common problems and ailments which can easily be cured and avoided from the use of Honey:

Skin

Honey is extremely nourishing for the skin when used as face pack and helps in rejuvenating the skin leading to the elimination of fine wrinkles.

It is a good moisturiser.

Honey has considerable Laxative effect on the human digestion system which in turn helps in reducing skin problem ie (pimples) and other problems associated with constipation, which become revealed on the skin.

Antibacterial and antifungal properties

Honey contains many minerals and vitamins beneficial to man. However, one of the most important properties seems to be its antibiotic action.

Honey has been shown to be superior to certain conventional antibiotics in treating some infections.

This bactericide (bacteria-killing) property of honey is named "the inhibition effect". Experiments conducted on honey show that its bactericide properties increase twofold when diluted with water. It is very interesting to note that newly born bees in the colony are nourished with diluted honey by the bees responsible for their supervision - as if they know this feature of the honey.

Healing wounds & grazes

Honey is of value in treating burns, infected surgical wounds and ulcers. Honey is very viscous, enabling it to absorb water from surrounding inflamed tissue. For example, a study in West Africa showed that skin grafting, surgical debridement and even amputation were avoided when local application of honey to wound promoted healing, whereas conventional treatment failed.

For such wounds or Grazes, cover the wound with honey and a bandage.

Diarrhoea

At a concentration of 40%, honey has a bactericidal effect on various gut bacteria known to cause diarrhoea and dysentery

Allergies

Raw honey is an excellent treatment for 90% of all allergies.

Teeth

Although Honey is sweet, it helps to maintain and protect teeth! Its anti-microbial activity has been tested on several species of dental plaque bacteria. A study shows that honey has been proven to sharply reduce acid production, thus killing the bacteria responsible for dental caries, and blocking the growth of oral bacteria.

Stomach Ache

Take 1 teaspoon of honey, juice of ½ a lemon with a hot glass of water first thing in the morning.

Colds and coughs

Honey is remedial in cases of persistent coughs and sore throat. The strong antibiotic properties it contains coats the throat and reduces throat irritation.

Mix 6 oz. liquid honey, 2 oz. glycerin with juice of 2 lemons. Bottle and cork firmly. Use as required.

For Blocked noses, Place a dessert spoon of honey in a basin of hot water and inhale fumes after covering your head with a towel over the basin.

For Sore throats, Let 1 teaspoon of honey melt in the back of the mouth and trickle down the throat. Eases inflamed raw tissues.

Uneasiness felt in the mouth & throat due to infection can be relieved immediately with honey, so there is extensive scope for honey in cough mixtures & expectorants.

Honey used for children helps inflammatory throat conditions as it both purifies blood.

Digestion

Because sugar molecules in honey can convert into other sugars (e.g. fructose to glucose), honey is easily digested by the most sensitive stomachs, despite its high acid content. It helps kidneys and intestines to function better. Hence honey is beneficial for maintaining a healthy digestive system as well as combating illnesses such as constipation.

For poor digestion, Mix 1:1 honey with apple cider vinegar and dilute to taste with water.

For patients suffering with various maladies of stomach who consume 10 grams of honey on an empty stomach in the morning & not eat anything thereafter for about 1 hour, will start feeling relief from the disorders within a few days.

Weight control

Honey has a low calorie content. Honey, when it is compared with the same amount of sugar, it gives 40% less calories to the body. Although it gives great energy to the body, it does not add weight.

Rapidly diffuses through the blood

When accompanied by mild water, honey diffuses into the bloodstream in 7 minutes. Its free sugar molecules make the brain function better since the brain is the largest consumer of sugar.

Conjunctivitis (pus in the eye)

Honey dissolved in equal quantity of warm water. Apply, when cooled, as lotion or eye bath.

Blood

Honey provides an important part of the energy needed by the body for blood formation. In addition, it helps in cleansing the blood. It has some positive effects in regulating and facilitating blood circulation. It also functions as a protection against capillary problems and arteriosclerosis.

The Heart

British researchers have discovered that honey slows the oxidation of 'bad' IDL cholesterol, which is responsible for causing arteriosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries. So Honey can fight against Colesterol. And the darker the honey, the better.

Pure honey taken with food daily (instead of white sugar) relieves complains of cholesterol.

This is beneficial for those of Old age, sufferers of Heart-disease, Diabetes, High-blood Pressure, Stroke, and others.

Appetite

Honey improves appetite in children suffering from conditions of Appetite loss.

Headaches & Migraine

Take 2 teaspoons at meals to prevent an attack

For Migraines, Take 1 dessert spoon honey dissolved in half a glass of warm water at start migraine. Repeat in 20 minutes if necessary.

Insomnia

Honey helps in nervous disorders including Insomnia and acts as a tonic in recovery of any damage to the human nervous system.

In cases of Insomnia (Sleeplessness) one teaspoon full of honey mixed in luke-warm water (or milk) & drunk before going to bed helps in getting sound sleep.

Stress

Honey in water is a stabilizer - calms highs and raises lows. Use approx. 1:4 honey to water.

Healing

Honey also greatly helps in convalecense as it has properties to make the body heal faster.

Tuberculosis

Honey helps patients suffering from Tuberculosis as it vastly helps in arresting the spread of this disease.

Asthma

Honey helps in conditions of Asthma as many conditions of Asthma respond favourably to Honey.

Fatigue and exhaustion

Honey is best used to increase the physical stamina & energy level of the human body & since honey is easily absorbed in the blood, it is the best ingredient to remove tiredness ad fatigue after hard work almost instantly.

Dissolve 1 teaspoon honey in warm water or quarter honey balance of water in a jug and keep in the fridge. Honey is primarily fructose and glucose and so it is quickly absorbed by the digestive system.

The Old and young

French doctors advise weak, emaciated children & older patients to take honey & cream or honey & butter instead of cod liver oil.

Boiled mild mixed with equal quantity of water & seven percent honey is a fabulous energy packed food for children.

Osteoporosis

1 teaspoon of honey a day helps calcium utilization and prevents osteoporosis. Essential from age 50 onwards.

Burns

Apply freely over burns. It cools, removes pain and aids fast healing without scarring. Apart from being a salve and antibiotic, bacteria cannot live in honey.

Infertility

Honey consumed with milk increases human sperm count to an astonishing degree. Since, basically Sexual Virility is concerned with three fundamental Organs in the male body, all these organs use Glucose and Fructose to obtain energy.

Honey as already mentioned is the best source of the above required sugars. No wonder it’s dubbed the Elixir of life even earning itself clear mention in the Quran as far back as 1,400 years.

Baldness

Scrub the bald area with onions till red. Then apply honey.

Constipation

For patients suffering from constipation as spoon of honey mildly heated with a small quantity of wheat husk added after it is cooled & administered to the patient, gives immediate relief.

Otherwise take ½ teaspoon honey mixed with ½ - 1cup warm water 2-3 times a day

Paralysis

The famous physician ibn Sina (Aviccina) writes that licking honey mixed with the extract of boiled rice Wij (Peench in Urdu) helps cure partial facial paralysis.

High Blood Pressure

Take mixed 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon ginger juice and 1 teaspoon cumin powder 2x a day

Anaemia

Honey is the best blood enricher by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey the more minerals it contains.

Take 1 ripe banana with 1 tablespoon honey 1-2x a day

Hay Fever

Chewing the tops of comb honey stimulates the immune system due to minute amounts of pollen. During the season chew for 20 minutes a teaspoon of bee capping (tops) five to six times per day. Highly effective and useful for asthma sufferers as well

Insect Bites

According to Islamic medicine, for cases of bite or stinging of poisonous insects, a paste made of one part unsoaked limestone, four parts honey & four parts olive oil applied on the affected part will give immediate relief.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.geocities(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mutmainaa/food/honey_cure.html"]Source[/url]

AS

Peace.

I'm a beekeeper, and know lots about honey.

Honey can spoil, actually. It's just that it has a shelf-life of between twenty-five and three thousand years. If you keep it for a really long time, it may turn black or red and develop a foul taste. Maybe. Some honey found in ancient Egyptian tombs is still good.

Note that honey is a supersaturated sugar solution. It contains more sugar than water. It tends to solidify over time, depending on the specific sugar content -- honey is mostly glucose and fructose, if it's got a higher glucose content it will crystalise more easily. Tupelo honey, which is higher in fructose, doesn't crystalise. You can re-liquify crystalised honey by putting the jar in a bath of warm water. Not too hot. Temperatures above about 120F will damage honey's flavour and destroy some of its healthful properties.

Greetings Kale,

I'm a beekeeper, and know lots about honey.

Awesome, that sounds very interesting :D Thanks for the post too ( :D again). Often times I buy honey at the store because I see it think that I need some. Then I come home and go to put it away, that's when I find the stuff I already had :D It's usually crystallized though because I forget about...but now I know how to save it :D

I hope it doesn't bother you that, more often than not, I end up throwing honey away...it keeps you in business right? :P

I'd be interested to learn more about bee-keeping. Not so much that it's an interest of mine, but just more about how one chooses that for a hobby and what kinds of interesting lessons the bees teach.

Anyhow, it's late and i'm gettin wierd... :P

Peace,

AS

Peace, Allah's Slave!

It's probably a little bit better to store honey in its crystalised form. However, when it crystalises, water is sometimes forced to the surface. It is unlikely, but possible, that this slightly sugary water will grow bacteria or mould. Mostly this does not happen because to be marketed, honey must be less than %17 water. In some countries, honey is deliberately crystalised, cut into bricks, wrapped in waxed paper and sold this way. You just slice off as much as you need and warm it up to liquify it.

Beekeeping is the perfect hobby! It is easy and fun, and provides a very sweet reward. I got into it because my Dad taught me. He's a biologist and an expert on bees. I've been keeping bees since I was around ten years old. I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't deathly allergic to stings. Twenty years of beekeeping and I have only been stung on three occassions, but if a sting is life-threatening to you, keep away. It's a leisurely hobby -- you can do very little and still have good success, and it's not necessary to make your beekeeping activities part of a hard-and-fast schedule. You might look into the hive once a week, or only twice a year. I do my beekeeping work when I have time and the weather is nice. Bees are like people and get bad-tempered when the weather is bad, working with them only on nice days is a good way to avoid stings.

Bees have many wonderful lessons to reveal. They are beautiful and smell good, and they make a pleasant noise. In the winter I do not open the hive, but I press my ear to the side and tap on it. I can tell by the tone of the buzz if everything is okay in the hive. Unhappy bees (say, if they've lost their queen) sound angry. Healthy hives have a harmonious and beautiful hum. In the summer, I often sit right next to the hive and watch the bees go in and out as they work. It is very strange -- they work together so harmoniously, yet busy working bees will push and shove and quarrel with each other at the entrance. The colony is both a single organism and a million individuals. As this thread reveals, honey is a marvelous substance. The process by which it is made is complex, incredible, and truely miraculous. The wax comb is a wonder of engineering, impossibly strong for its delicacy and perfectly designed to create the maximum amount of storage space with the minimum amount of material. It's also especially delicious to eat a chunk of honey-comb -- some of the distinctive flavour of honey comes from the bees, but a good deal of it is minute traces of volitile floral essences (the smell of flowers, chemically alcohols) that partly evaporate when honey is removed from the combs. This makes the house smell wonderful when I am extracting honey, but the full flavour is lost. Comb honey is more expensive because the bees must eat about five pounds of honey to create a pound of wax, but it is worth it.

I could go on for hours about the amazing behavior of bees and the wonderful properties of the things they make.

I found an interesting article about bees at "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/english/Science/2001/11/article6.shtml"]IslamOnline[/url] .

Honey: the Antibiotic of the Future

Part 3: Healing "Bee Venom"

By Nora Belfedal

Through the ages bees have played a significant role in Muslim and Arab culture. In fact, the value of bees was so great that before an important battle Abu Bakr As-Sidiq told his general, Yazid Ibn Abi Sufian, "Do not burn bees and do not scatter them." Surah 16, "The Bee", in the Qur'an also speaks of the importance of bees in Islam. In Sura 16, verse 69 states: "from their bellies come a drink of various colors, wherein is healing for mankind." Many people interpret this "drink" to mean honey, however, bees also produce another healing drink in their bodies - Bee Venom (BV).

Bee Venom is a complex mixture used by the bees to protect their hives against predators. Bee Venom Therapy (BVT), also known as apitherapy, is a popular healing method that uses this venom. BVT consists of using bee stings to treat symptoms of certain diseases. BVT can be performed by a doctor, a therapist, a beekeeper or a patient who is taught how to properly use the bees (Rothfeld). Some physicians use BVT by taking sterilized venom and injecting it under the skin, imitating a bee sting. Other doctors claim that venom loses part of its effectiveness when tampered with and they insist on having their patients stung in the traditional manner. However, apitherapists all over the world agree that taking injections is easier than handling the bees themselves and that injections produce almost the same noticeable results.

Apitherapy was practiced as far back as the age of Hippocrates, who called it "a strange and mysterious medicine." However, although Bee Venom Therapy has a long history, it remains as much of a mystery today as it was in the time of Hippocrates.

In an effort to uncover this mystery, Georgetown University in Washington D.C. has begun a study of Bee Venom Therapy (CNN). The Georgetown University study notes that many reports of BVT successes include people being cured of AIDS, arthritis, high blood pressure, cataracts, heart disease, depression, eczema, epilepsy, hair loss, stress, PMT, and male impotence (Manukahoneyusa). In fact, many studies cite Bee Venom as a valuable cure. Additional studies show that Bee Venom can cure almost anything from osteoarthritis to cancer. In each disease, Bee Venom produces a unique reaction that assists the body in healing itself.

In cases of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, BVT has been known to reduce pain and swelling. While no conclusive treatment has been discovered for rheumatoid arthritis, Bee Venom has been very effective in treating the affliction, according to a study on animals. On humans, Dr. Bodog Beck, in 1935, already recorded a remarkable number of case improved by BVT. A hospital has also used Bee Venom therapy and reported real improvement in 66% of cases treated. Some substances contained in Bee Venom stimulate the production of cortisol by the adrenal gland. Cortisol is one of the most effective anti-inflammatory agents. Another peptide found in BV is known to have anti-inflammatory effects a hundred times stronger than any drugs (Manukahoneyusa).

Bee Venom has also helped in curing diseases like scleroderma, asthma, and ulcerative colitis through a stimulation of endogenous cortisol. Bee Venom Therapy has also shown its effectiveness on injuries - both acute and chronic - such as tendonitis, neck and back pain aches. In those cases, the effects are probably due to an anti-inflammatory action involving the humeral and cellular immune response to foreign proteins (Primushost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)).

In fact, one of the greatest successes of BVT is that it can cure many kinds of chronic pain which cannot be cured by any drugs. Dr. Leo Roy reports that he treated a woman who had suffered from migraines headaches for 15 to 18 years until she had been treated with Bee Venom: "I injected her ten to twelve times… her case is truly an example" he says (Beelief(contact admin if its a beneficial link)).

However, Bee Venom does not just numb pain. It seems to have positive effects on individual organs as well. Scientists from all over the world have found that bee products can significantly ameliorate Liver Cirrhosis (LC). LC is a disease by where normal liver tissues die and the organ becomes filled with more fibrous ones, greatly affecting its ability to function normally. The most common cause of this disease is alcohol abuse, but it can also be caused by malnutrition or iron stock. "A Romanian study showed that up to 50% of persons suffering of liver cirrhosis have been cured by bee products, for they stimulate, nourish and regulate the functioning of the healthy liver cells and inhibit the non-healthy ones" (Santigu).

BVT has also been found useful in curing cases of Multiple Scleroses (MS). MS is a deficiency of the neurological and immunological systems, often due to a nerve infection, viruses or depression. BVT has already improved the state of many MS patients. However, in order to use BVT on MS it requires a certain amount of skill on the part of the practitioner. Bee Venom helps the body to increase immune responses, nourish cellular membranes, clean intestines from toxins, promote healthier blood and provide more energy, as it is a water-soluble blend of proteins (Beelief(contact admin if its a beneficial link)).

Finally, BVT has been used in cases of cancers that are caused by "non-sufficient healthy blood". Scientists have shown that Bee Venom contains different substances that improve the blood flow in the afflicted organism. Thus, BVT is used to help heal scar tissues by softening and breaking them down (CNN).

To make use of these wonderful cures, many people call the nearest beekeeper. However, some people prefer to administer injections themselves. BV injections were developed by Ketshy in 1928 (Santigu). Recently BVT has even replaced some synthetic drugs because of its almost non-existent side effects. BVT is so effective, in fact, that the U.S Army has also studied its qualities (Rothfeld). Studies done by the U.S Army found than Bee Venom contains at least 63 components that have pharmaceutical properties including:

1. Melitin: one of the strongest anti-inflammatory substances known.

2. Adolapin: which has anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities.

3. Apamin: which improves nerves transmissions (Beekeeping(contact admin if its a beneficial link)).

However promising it may sound, Bee Venom Therapy is not completely without risk. The first reactions to a bee sting are redness, swelling, pain and itching, which are not usually life threatening but are very uncomfortable. However, as some people have severe reactions to bee stings, a sting-test is often necessary before embarking on any bee therapy program. A person's reaction to bees must be monitored by a professional because, "Many people who have had severe local reaction to bee sting, which an apitherapist would consider a positive effect, are incorrectly considered to have allergies to bees," says Dr. Rothfeld.

From the above examples we can understand better what the Prophet Mohammad (saws) meant when he said, "I prohibit killing four creatures in this earth: ants, bees, hoopoes and sparrow-hawks." Bees are one of the miracles of Allah, the Almighty (Sunan Abu Dawud).

As further proof of the value of bees: beekeepers tend live longer than the rest of the population. :D

References:

Ali, Yusuf. "Translation of the Quran."

Abu Dawud."Book of General Behavior." Sunan Abu Dawud.

Downey, Charles. "Stinging the Pain." CNN newspaper. 21/01/2000.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Manukahoneyusa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]Manukahoneyusa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

Rothfeld, Glenn, MD. "Bee Venom."

Santigu, Stefan. "Bee Venom and MS."

Peace!

Wonderful post, Z.

There are actually companies who will send you, in the mail, a small box of about five live bees, which you can annoy to get them to sting you, as a treatment for arthritis.

There's a measure of danger to this, though. Some people develop allergies to bee venom when they had no problems before. People's reactions to bee venom are quite varied. I do not find bee-stings very painful, and have only had swelling when stung several times on the ear (my earlobe swelled up to about twice the normal size) but my mom and my brother both have terrible swelling from stings. The one time I was stung badly (repeatedly, on the head, probably about twenty times) I was sick with symptoms similar to those of a rattle-snake bite. (dizzy, numbness on one side of my body, nausea, everything looks yellow)

Guest Sulemaan
I could go on for hours about the amazing behavior of bees and the wonderful properties of the things they make.

And I could go on for hours reading it in amazement! Thanks and please do carry on with your post!

Guest Sulemaan

Assalaamalaikum,

My father once brought this bucket full of honey, with the wax and all, and believe me I have never had such a tasty honey ever again. Now when I try to buy it, I find it's very expensive! Before this we use to go for Langanese, it still is good, but nothing compared to the real stuff!

It's a great source of nutrition especially for kids. And in case your kids are not interested in honey, just get them a cassette of 'Winnie the Pooh' and the next time you go shopping, don't be surprised to find a nice bottle of honey in your shopping cart! It happened with my nieces and nephew!

And I could go on for hours reading it in amazement! Thanks and please do carry on with your post!

MashAllah, same here.

And in case your kids are not interested in honey, just get them a cassette of 'Winnie the Pooh' and the next time you go shopping, don't be surprised to find a nice bottle of honey in your shopping cart!

Peace!

Sulemaan, I wish I had a bucket of comb honey! I didn't take any comb honey this year, all the combs I've got full of honey have a plastic center to make them stronger when I use a hand-crank centrifuge to get the honey out of the wax. But in the summer, whenever I check inside the hive, I scrape off what's called 'burr comb' -- little bits of honeycomb that the bees have built in places the beekeeper doesn't want it. We sit around eating those scraps, and they're extra-delicious. It's okay to eat the wax, and is even good for you, but I tend to chew it for a while and then spit it out and collect a ball of it for my cats to play with.

I have got a bucketload of honey, though. I've been a bit lazy and have yet to package this years honey in jars.

Maybe the honey your dad gave you was just extra good because of the flowers. All honey is remarkably similar chemically, but varies a good deal as to taste and colour. Last summer there was a great bloom of penstemon flowers here. The prairie was all blue with them. I took early honey that year. Bees tend to work the same species of flower and ignore other kinds when they can do so, so the honey I got was probably made from pure penstemon nectar. It was nearly as white as water and had the most wonderful delicate flavour. I was planning to take early honey this year, just after the penstemon stopped blooming, but it rained and rained so there were not very many penstemon flowers, and I did not get honey until later in the year.

Once I had some honey from Italy, made by bees out of pistashio nut tree nectar. It was wonderful and tasted like pistashios in a subtle and undescribable way. Also, it's pale green.

How honey is made:

Plants make sugars by combining carbon dioxide from the air and water, using the power of the sun. In order to reproduce sexually and thus have genetic diversity in their populations, plants produce pollen. Many plants rely on the wind to distribute their pollen, but some also produce nectar to attract animals. Most nectar is primarily sucrose (a disaccaride sugar -- that is, two sugar molecules stuck together. Table sugar is sucrose) and a lot of water. The animals, like bees, who come to drink the nectar get covered in pollen and carry it to the next flower, completing the mating act of the plants.

Bees are born from an egg laid by a queen bee. It hatches into a little larvae, which looks like a tiny white maggot. The adult bees feed it on a sugary solution of honey and water and mysterious substances -- it varies. They can feed a larva on one formula, called Royal Jelly, and it will grow into a queen. Most are fed on another formula, called Worker Jelly, and they grow into worker bees or drones. When the larva has grown enough, it spins its own cocoon of silk, and the adult workers put a wax cap on the chamber it's in. When it is fully transformed, the new adult bee chews her way out of the chamber, waits a little while for her shell to harden, and begins work. For about eighteen days she does house duties. After that, she begins to fly out in search of nectar.

Bees visit about ten flowers per trip, depending on how much nectar the flower offers. It takes aproximately five million nectar-gathering trips for bees to create one pint of honey. If a bee finds a good abundant source of nectar, she tells her sisters about it by doing a circular or figure-eight dance on the combs inside the hive. You can get videos of this, it's delightful. It's highly accurate in communicating both distance and direction, though there is no 'word' in the dance-language for 'straight up' -- if you put a nectar source on a pole above the hive, catch a bee and show it to her, she'll go back and dance to show a very nearby nectar source, but the others will not be able to find it. Science says that bees navigate by the sun. Bees cannot see the colour red (it looks the same as black to them) but can see into the ultraviolet range. It's thought that in ultraviolet, the sunlight produces an amazing pattern on the dome of the sky, which insects use to navigate. On some flowers, especially wild flowers that are white, there is a pattern in ultraviolet, of lines leading directly to the source of nectar. These have been photographed, they're very lovely. All the more so, perhaps, for being such a wonderful secret that human beings cannot ordinarily see.

So a bee goes out and gets nectar. She drinks it. She has a sort of fore-stomach that is a carrying pouch, and can swallow from there to her actual digestive system if she needs a mid-flight refueling. Back at the hive, she gives her cargo to some of the young house bees, usually distributing it between three or more. From her crop she has added acid to the honey. If mad scientists were to creep up on you while you were sleeping and destroy the part of your brain that allows you to feel the sensation of tasting sweetness, honey would be terribly sour to you. She has also added the enzyme invertase, from a gland in her head. Now the field bee either goes back out to collect more nectar, having spent about five minutes inside the hive, or she crawls into an empty wax cell and takes a nap for half an hour. Really.

By beating their wings, bees constantly ventilate their hive, creating a palpable breeze. The house bee who just got a drop of nectar from a field bee goes to a patch of empty comb where she can get some air. She unswallows the drop of nectar there and holds it between her jaws. By opening and closing her mandibles, she can stretch the drop of nectar into a thinner triangular sheet, exposing more of surface area to the breeze. She manipulates the nectar in this way until most of the water has evaporated out of it, then deposits it in a wax cell.

Inside the dehydrated nectar, the acid and the enzyme invertase both work to break the disaccaride sugar sucrose into the two monosaccaride sugars glucose and fructose. When this process is complete, the honey is considered 'ripe' and the bees seal the little cell with a wax cap. It's now about 75% glucose and fructose (proportions varying by the floral source) and 17% water. The rest is minerals, protein, acid, sucrose, extremely complex sugars, and volitile floral essences.

There you have the short of it. A delicious sweet, a fantastic miracle, an invisible world, and another irrefutable proof that God is great.

Peace Kale

My my .....your beekeeping world sounds amazing.... I can tell that you absolutely love it!

I got a new hobby now..just need to go therapist in order to overcome my fear bees. They got mean bite.

Peace, Swanlake!

Don't be afraid! Just get a good bee-proof suit and trust it.

I have a student who was really afraid of all insects. It took her a little while, but she's starting to really enjoy beekeeping. I had her wear my best bee-proof suit, took her out to the hive and said, "If you feel freaked out, just walk away." At first she'd only look in the opened hive for a few minutes at a time, and then walk off, but after a few times she's much more comfortable. Now she wants to pet the bees and talks about how fuzzy and cute they are. Most people are really scared the first time they're near when opening a beehive. A friend of mine wanted to take video-footage of the bees and he was very afraid, but only for a few minutes. Once he felt more confidence in the bee-proof suit and saw that the bees were calm and not trying to sting, he had a lot of fun and was very much enjoying looking the beautiful combs all covered in living bees.

asalamu alaikum

hmm... so this is why mummy makes me put honey in my tea instead of sugar...

wonderful information... may Allah reward you insha Allah... Ameen

hmmmm interesting information and tons of it!!i do like the taste but not sure cuz of glucose, fructose in the honey im just not sure.

Asalaamualaikum

umm.. you buy this fantastic lip stuff from "red earth" and any other good cosmetic store, its 89% pure honey and your lips are totally smooth in no time, no matter how chapped!!

dont know how relevent that was but i thought you might like to try!

Asalaamu alaykum,

jazak'Allah khair, thanks for sharing that article. I love honey and I like to mix it with my milk. I only mix it in black tea, never green tea. Green tea is supposed to be drunken straight.

Peace!

Hi, sunshinez. Honey is sugar, and too much sugar isn't good for you. Honey is better for you than plain sugar, though, since it has some minerals and other stuff in. Also, it won't rot your teeth, because it is so acidic and anti-bacterial that it kills the microrganisms that cause tooth decay.

It's generally agreed that it's not good to give honey to little babies. This is because honey often contains the spores of botulism. Botulism can't grow in honey, so this won't hurt you unless you mix the honey with water or milk or something and then let it stand long enough for the bacteria to grow. People used to give babies bottles of warm milk with a little honey. If the bottle sat out for a couple of hours, the baby would be poisoned. Probably pure honey is perfectly safe, but honey is usually sold with a warning not to feed it to babies because of this.

So, shall I give you guys updates on my beehive? I could do a little 'Year in the Bee Yard' on this thread, if folks are interested.

I check my bees every few days, by going out and sitting next to the hive and watching them go in and out. Or just tapping the hive and listening to the buzz if they're all inside. Two days ago I went to do this and my bees were flying, it was sunny and very summer-like. But they sounded angry. If you keep bees long enough you will know by the sound if they are happy. A few were angry enough to attack me. I wasn't stung, but I knew something was amiss, they almost never do that. I was afraid their queen had died. They get very upset if they have no queen. I put on my bee-proof suit and had a look inside. There are lots of bees (excellent!), and I found the queen, young and healthy (even better!). It is early, but she is already laying some eggs -- from the eggs and developing larvae, I'd guess she's been laying a few dozen every day for the past week. This is great. Also, I didn't see any bees with mites on them -- tiny pencil-tip sized creatures that the blood of bees. This fall my bees had mites and I had to give them a mite-killing medicine. It looks as if it has worked and all is well. Except there's hardly any honey left in the hive! They have eaten almost all of it over the winter. That's why they're angry -- food supplies are running low, but there are no flowers. I have given them a feeder, with sugar-syrup. They're happier now. It was about time I did that anyway -- if there is new nectar coming into the hive, they start to raise more babies. I want hundreds, not dozens, of eggs each day. It takes about 28 days for a bee to grow from egg to adult, and another 18 days before a bee is old enough that she starts to fly outside and gather nectar. By feeding syrup now, I hope to induce the bees to build up a strong work-force of young bees before the first flowers start to bloom, so I get get a lot of the best light-coloured spring honey.

Peace!

Hehe! Thanks, sunshinez!

Alas, I'm in the US. It's too bad, I even have an extra bee-proof suit for guests to wear -- lots of people are curious to see the inside of a beehive. Even folks who are afraid of bees usually get used to it quickly and find it fun.

I don't know about the wheat. Do the bees come to the cut wheat? Maybe it's just because there are lots of active bees in the summer time.

Bees attacking you around the house -- most times, when people are stung by bees or wasps, it's because they've stepped on one or rubbed against one that landed on them. Also, bees and wasps can't see the edges of things very well, and they often bump into people when flying. If they get tangled in your clothes or hair, they'll panic and sting you. If bees or wasps have built a nest near people, so that they fly through an area where people sit on their way in and out, somebody'll get stung eventually. Look for the nest. Probably there is an office you can call to have it removed. If they are really honeybees and not wasps, a beekeeper may want them, and come around to collect them.

If bees are just slowly flying about and bothering you by buzzing about you, you can make them go away by blowing smoke on them, perhaps from a stick of incense. Or just breathing on them softly -- I speak to mine, saying, "Leave me alone, I'm not bothering you," and they go away, probably because they don't like being breathed on. If they're flying slowly they're not likely to bump into you. I have hundreds of beautiful dagger-like black mud-dauber wasps living on my porch in the summer. I just ignore them and we get along fine. I tell my guests that it is against the rules of the house to try to swat the wasps or shoo them away, and nobody gets stung. Being swatted at makes bees and wasps angry.

Some people do pretty well keeping the bees and wasp in a smaller area of the yard. There's a plant called 'bee balm' that bees really love. It has pretty red flowers, and blooms for a long time. If you plant some as far away from where you sit as you can, bees might not bother you as much. Or you could place a saucer of jam or sugar-water (with a few pebbles in so bees don't get stuck in it) far away from where you sit.

Peace.

You're welcome. :D

You can often get them to fly out of the house if you open the brightest window and shut off the lights. Or catch them in a glass against the window pane. They won't sting in the dark, so if you can cup them in your hands before they get a chance to sting, you can carry them out barehanded. Not for the faint of heart. I don't do this, but my dad does.

Almost undoubtedly, the ones outside won't do anything more than fly past or circle you once or twice, if you don't do anything about them. Unless they want to get at your drink. Isn't there a bit in the Qu'ran about how you ought to be peaceful to little creatures? I remember something about not killing ants.

There are some interesteding facts on Beekeeping in "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Beekeeping"]Wikipedia[/url] - the one most astounding is that there is evidence of beekeeping from rock painting aged to over 13,000 BC!!!

Assalamu Alaykum..

I like honey..

It is delicious when mix with milk..

Actually, I am in a process to stop taking coffee too much..