Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islaam-Sikhism

New Article At Islam-sikhism######

Asalaamu 'alaykum

We have added a new article entitled: Forced Marriage - Do we find clear emphatic proof in the Adi Granth prohibiting this evil practice?

(www.)"http://geocities/islam_sikhism/women/rights/forced/forced1.htm"]geocities/islam_sikhism/wom...ced/forced1.htm[/url]

PropellerAds

:D

Brother your link isn`t working :[##][/##] I think you need 50 posts to post a link.

:D

Brother your link isn`t working :[##][/##] I think you need 50 posts to post a link.

Asalaamu 'alaykum

Yes, we were hoping admins would give us privileges for the sake of Da'wah, but, alas...

Just type in the usual " 'dot' geocities 'dot' com" address and paste the rest of the URL afterwards (islam_sikhism), insha'Allaah that should take you to the new site. It's all there walilaahil hamd.

Wa salaam

I don't know what the point of this post was but I don't believe real Sikhi is about laying down the law about how people should live their lives. That line from the Adi Granth illustrates that if man and woman are one light (soul) in two bodies, then they are equals.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji (in Asa Di Var) states that:

We are born of woman,

we are conceived in the womb of woman,

we are engaged and married to woman.

We make friendship with woman

and the lineage continued because of woman.

When one woman dies,

we take another one,

we are bound with the world through woman.

We grow up stronger and wiser having drunk milk from the breast of woman.

Why should we talk ill of her,

who gives birth to Kings?

The woman is born from woman;

there is none without her.

Only the One True Lord is without woman.

From reading these (and other such scruptures) it is evident that the intent was to provide women with equity. It was not to address every aspect of life that was present historically. During that time period of which you speak, forced marriage was not a concern. Indian women married who their parents chose. There was no concept of love or choice. Both men's and women's fates were decided by who their parents thought would be a good match, either for financial reasons or familial connections. The gurus recognized the inequity of dowry (or financial motives) for marriage and wrote:

Any other dowry, which the perverse place for show,

that is false pride and worthless gilding.

O' my Father! give me the Name of Lord God as a gift and dowry.

This was so that women were not being "sold" with the spoils going to the highest bidder. Again, parental choice of marriage partners was common in ALL religions in India at the time. This was NOT a cultural concern. It was the cultural NORM. If you are going to post hateful remarks about other religions, at least make an effort to get them right. I think it's very sad that we minorities are so busy making fun of one another, looking for negativity in one another's religions and cultural practices that we are failing to join together against the ever-increasing threat of white racism. As my gurus would say, I ask forgiveness for anything that offends for it was not meant in that manner.

I forgot to say that I feel Sikhi is not about laying down a strict set of rules to follow that quickly become outdates as the world rapidly changes, but is instead about giving advice on how to live your life, and we, as humans with free will, have to choose to act accordingly. Oh, I was also going through the rest of that site and there is so much wrong with it, that it is a little bit scary in it's ignorance. For example, in the section of the "Impossible God" there is a statement about the inaccuracy of the Sikh religion based on contradictions. Sikhi believes that God is in everything: in fire and water (contradiction), in earth and air (contradiction), formless yet found in everything (contradiction)...etc. etc I could keep going but I won't. HOWEVER, the main point is that we, as humans are unable to grasp exactly what God is so it's everything and nothing all at the same time. Is the contention that Islam (or any other religion) can give a precise definition of God? If so, wow, that's hubristic. If not, some tolerance please and understanding from those themselves who have been oft misunderstood.