Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CHTHON

Do You Think Women Should Have Equal Rights?

Not sure where to post this, as it's not really politcal.

I wonder, if a man can to to the beach, or swim in pool, or suntan, why can't a women?

If a man can go out and work, why can't a women?

If a man can drive where ever he wants, why can't a women?

If a man can get medical treatment when ever he wants, why can't a women?

If a man can decide to leave his wife, why can't a women decide to leave her husband?

If a man can assert himself and defend himself verbally to a women, why can't a women defend herself verbally to a man?

If a man can sleep with different unmarried women, why can't a women sleep with different unmarried men?

Why is it only the man who decideds if he wants to marry a women, why does she have no say in the matter?

Now I know not all these issues apply to all of you, and I'm sure some of you are against certain actions outright for both men and women, so for those of you who don't agree with these actions for either gender, please spare me your replies.

What I want to hear is just one thing, for you to justify why women are enttitled to less then men?

PropellerAds

Peace CHTHON, I understand what you are asking, but I dont understand in what context you are asking. Which society are you talking about, or a certain Culture, or Religion or Country???

Bye, umAhmad.

Peace CHTHON, I understand what you are asking, but I dont understand in what context you are asking. Which society are you talking about, or a certain Culture, or Religion or Country???

Bye, umAhmad.

In different Muslim countries some of these rules apply. I'm not naming any specificly. Even in the west many Muslim women have very few rights because of the pressure they get from the muslim cumunity.

I wonder, if a man can to to the beach, or swim in pool, or suntan, why can't a women?

yes, why not? my whole family go to beaches, with female cousins and women family members, whats the point? :D and where woman r not allowed to go to beaches? one of my class fellow was a very good swimmer in university and there are many swimming pools for women only in my city, and many women r member there.

if there is a need, she can.

yes she can, my mother took us to school and bring us from school in car when we were little kids. :D

lol., is this happens inm your area? very bad, if someone do this than he is stupid, if you see such thing please stop.

well, anyway, ehere this happens? or r u talking about a different planet?

If a man can decide to leave his wife, why can't a women decide to leave her husband?

yes, she can.

If a man can assert himself and defend himself verbally to a women, why can't a women defend herself verbally to a man?

:D :D

If a man can sleep with different unmarried women, why can't a women sleep with different unmarried men?

I don't know about ur culture, but in my country, or in my religion no man or woman can sleep with anyone else except marriage partner.

Why is it only the man who decideds if he wants to marry a women, why does she have no say in the matter?

In Islam, there is no marriage without woman's will. Witout girl's approval no one can marry girl according to Islam.

What I want to hear is just one thing, for you to justify why women are enttitled to less then men?

who said they r less than men?

yes, why not? my whole family go to beaches, with female cousins and women family members, whats the point? and where woman r not allowed to go to beaches? one of my class fellow was a very good swimmer in university and there are many swimming pools for women only in my city, and many women r member there.

if there is a need, she can.

yes she can, my mother took us to school and bring us from school in car when we were little kids.

lol., is this happens inm your area? very bad, if someone do this than he is stupid, if you see such thing please stop.

well, anyway, ehere this happens? or r u talking about a different planet?

yes, she can.

I don't know about ur culture, but in my country, or in my religion no man or woman can sleep with anyone else except marriage partner.

In Islam, there is no marriage without woman's will. Witout girl's approval no one can marry girl according to Islam.

who said they r less than men?

What countries didn't allow women medical treatment? Afganistian until recenlty.

In severl Middle Eastern countries Women are not allowed to drive and in some not allowed to work. Surely you knowing sooo much would know this by now.

What countries didn't allow women medical treatment? Afganistian until recenlty.

In severl Middle Eastern countries Women are not allowed to drive and in some not allowed to work. Surely you knowing sooo much would know this by now.

lol, i am afghan by blood, living in neighbour of afghanistan, some relatives in afghanistan, and you r telling me some new thing about afghanistan, so r u from afghhanistan? or lived there? how u know?

ur views about status of wome lack knowledge, it will be better if you watch and listen by westrners like you about this issue (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.youtube(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/watch?v=4lgsbIGJqFg&search=Islam%20Britain%20Muslim%20UK%20Revert%20Convert%20Islamic%20Yvonne%20Ridley%20Journalist%20Taliban%20Talibaan%20Nasheed"]here[/url]

increase ur knowledge man

lol, i am afghan by blood, living in neighbour of afghanistan, some relatives in afghanistan, and you r telling me some new thing about afghanistan, so r u from afghhanistan? or lived there? how u know?

ur views about status of wome lack knowledge, it will be better if you watch and listen by westrners like you about this issue (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.youtube(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/watch?v=4lgsbIGJqFg&search=Islam%20Britain%20Muslim%20UK%20Revert%20Convert%20Islamic%20Yvonne%20Ridley%20Journalist%20Taliban%20Talibaan%20Nasheed"]here[/url]

increase ur knowledge man

Are you telling me that the women from Afgan who got circimcized, betten and worse lied?

Hello, CHTHON,

I think you are mistaking the cultures of some Islamic countries as Islamic. Most of these cultures are not following Islam but age old tribal values that non-Muslims confuse with the true Islam. In my next post :D, I will answer these questions, although the brother did a pretty good job.

Greetings to our atheist friend,

Do You Think Women Should Have Equal Rights?

Are women not oppressed in the West, lad? It truly saddens me how females are perceived as mere sex objects in the Western way of life. I shall attempt to elaborate on my point.

You see, Western girls are equally compelled to mask themselves from the public, through means of 'make-up' perhaps? Let's be real, shall we? Is not a school girl literally coerced to adorn herself with facial cosmetics, in order to appear attractive to others, or persons of the opposite sex? Do they not feel the need to appear sexy and beautiful, so perchance they might fit in, which inevitably results in sexual depravity and moral corruption throughout the society? What about the girls who do not possess the means to afford expensive cosmetics and sexual attire? Needless to say, they end up left out and bullied. Some, in rare cases, resort to suicide.

Do you realize the liberty the hijab or even the niqab provides for the Muslim woman? I can only imagine the psychological struggle and pain I might be forced to endure as a girl residing in the West.

Are you telling me that the women from Afgan who got circimcized, betten and worse lied?

Perhaps they have indeed told the truth, but I must ask, what is the purpose of your post on an Islamic forum? None of the issues you raised happen to pertain to the religion of Islam. You might try seeking an Afghani discussion board and converse the matter with their members. How would the Christian Forums feel if I presented to them a similar topic which is completely irrelevant to their religion? I'd make a fool out of myself!

All the best,

Joseph

I'm not going to lie, in Islam, a woman must obey her husband. However, men are commanded by Allah ta'ala to be just and merciful. Moreover, this only applies to husband and wife. If my boss if female, I have to obey my boss. Mothers are highly respected in Islam, moreso than the father. A man asked the Prophet :D who he should obey first, to which he replied "Your mother." Then he asked who was next, then he said "your mother" then he asked again and he still said "your mother" Then he asked who was next, to which he replied "then your father." The same applies to aunts, grandmothers, etc.

The punishment is same for both the man and the woman. If a man or woman commits adultery, the accuser has to bring four witnesses to the event. A man cannot just say "my wife cheated on me, kill her." Anyone who accuses a chaste woman of committing adultery gets whipped. And Allah might decide to punish him more in the hereafter.

Again, arranged marriages have nothing to do with Islam. This is a cultural practice which needs to be eliminated.

The reason is because men have more financial responsibility, whereas women do not have to spend money to support their family. For example, if my mom dies and leaves behind more money to me than my sister, I have to spend that money to support my wife, sons and daughters. My sister, on the other hand, can spend it as she pleases. So the money I'm left with to spend on myself is probably less than that of my sister. It is interesting to note that before Islam came, women didn't get any inheritance at all. Islam put women on an equal status with men, at a time when people were contemplating if women had a soul or not. They used to bury their female daughters alive before Islam came. And this practice, where the firstborn son got the inheritance, remained in the U.S. and Britian until the early 20th century. I know wills in the West might lean toward women's inheritance, but in Islam, this is a law. You must give a portion to your female relatives after you die. Allahu 'Alim

I hope I answered your question. You don't have to agree with it, but at least you understand why it is a certain way.

Again, not true. A woman can seek a divorce for a legitimate reason. For example, if she is being abused, or the husband is not following the religion, or if he is lazy and not taking care of the family. And a man needs a valid reason, also. And even after a man divorces his wife, he must support her for three months. If it turns out she is pregnant, he is obliged to help support that child for a certain period of time (Allah knows best)

There is nothing (obviously) in the Qur'an or teachings of the Prophet Muhammad :D that prohibit women from driving. Totally cultural, nothing to do with Islam

You said something else about female circumcision? Same thing, totally unIslamic, pagan cultural practice.

the issue of women in Islam is becoming a very common weapon by non-muslims, but wat they dont realise is that the questions they ask are very easy to answer.

now the questions raise by CHTHON are neither accurate nor are they relavent with regards to the teachings of Islam. can i advice u to study the religion b4 entering into an argument or discussion as u have no hard evidence to bck up wat u say. u seem to believe that women in Islam are persecuted or treated unfairly... do a little more research and u will see that it is actually the contrary.

i will happily enter into a discussion with u about any aspect of Islam, and/or on the rights and duties of women in Islam, but until then, plz do not post mere accusation or pointless opinions.

i'm sorry if this seems harsh but people seem to often bring up the issue of women in Islam not out of curiosity but as an excuse to start an argument. :D

Salaam,

there is obviously a difference between what Islam says on the issue of women and the practice in Muslim countries. I think it is very unfair to offer harsh criticism to CHTHON for therefore questioning the inequlity of women in Islam. At least three of the countries in the middel east have been or are 'Islamic' countries by their own definition, Iran, KSA and Afghanistan. Once these countires start acting in a certain way AND using the Quran to defend their actions, is it any wonder that non-Muslims have these impressions? The questions CHTHON asked are perfectly reasonable and the fact they have a simple answer is good, but it is not good when this is conbined with insults about his sources.

To put it another way, the vast majority of non-Muslims all over thw world believe that the situation discribed bt CHTHON is true both in theory and practice. If I were you I would be glad that someone has quesitoned this and come to ask people who will know the answer rather than just perpetuating tales.

I have a question for you, however, which may require a little more thought. Firstly, one assumption: Please accept, as I do, that what CHTHON discribed is the practice in many Islamic countries but has no basis in Islamic theory. I would discribe these practices as not just non-Islamic, but anti-Islamic as they blacken the name of the religion. What have you done to publically stand up and protest against these practices? Have you marched in the streets? Sign petitions? Protested outside embassies?

When the war in Iraq was still just a theoretical proposition people all accross Europe protested because it went againt what they believed and they felt it would blacken the naem of the west.

My question then, why do Muslims not explicably condemn these practices? Why do Muslims not explicitly condemn taking away from women the rights they were given under Islam? Why do you, personally, not sign/write a petition, go on a protest or act to prevent something that does almost as much harm to the name of Islam as the terrorist issue?

Peace and Love,

DARLA

It is interesting to note that before Islam came, women didn't get any inheritance at all. Islam put women on an equal status with men, at a time when people were contemplating if women had a soul or not.

You are mistaken about the inheritance. Surely there were many societies that did not give women the right to inherit, but there were others that did. Islam was by no means the first time in history that women were given such rights.

In ancient Egypt, to give one example, when a womans husband died she automatically recieved 1/3 of their joint estate (the rest going to siblings and children). Any income or money that a woman recieved from her work or from inheritance was hers and considered seperate from her husbands and she was able to buy and sell property and acquire items (even go into debt). They even had the right to file lawsuits and enter contracts on their own.

Greetings to our atheist friend,

Are women not oppressed in the West, lad? It truly saddens me how females are perceived as mere sex objects in the Western way of life. I shall attempt to elaborate on my point.

You see, Western girls are equally compelled to mask themselves from the public, through means of 'make-up' perhaps? Let's be real, shall we? Is not a school girl literally coerced to adorn herself with facial cosmetics, in order to appear attractive to others, or persons of the opposite sex? Do they not feel the need to appear sexy and beautiful, so perchance they might fit in, which inevitably results in sexual depravity and moral corruption throughout the society? What about the girls who do not possess the means to afford expensive cosmetics and sexual attire? Needless to say, they end up left out and bullied. Some, in rare cases, resort to suicide.

Do you realize the liberty the hijab or even the niqab provides for the Muslim woman? I can only imagine the psychological struggle and pain I might be forced to endure as a girl residing in the West.

Perhaps they have indeed told the truth, but I must ask, what is the purpose of your post on an Islamic forum? None of the issues you raised happen to pertain to the religion of Islam. You might try seeking an Afghani discussion board and converse the matter with their members. How would the Christian Forums feel if I presented to them a similar topic which is completely irrelevant to their religion? I'd make a fool out of myself!

All the best,

Joseph

You've made a good point about it not being a Muslim thing but an Afgan thing. Point taken.

As for the pressures that girls are put under in the west, while it is partially true, many girls who have a good sense of self worth don't let the others opinion get ot them. They wear what they like and don't try to copy the masses. I personally dont like girls with lots of makup and I know that plenty girls don't like to look super sexy either. Most of my flat mates for instance just wear what they like and don't care about about what is cool or not. What you're on about is more of an American thing. Admittedly they are more shallow there. It's not a Western thing.

I'm not going to lie, in Islam, a woman must obey her husband. However, men are commanded by Allah ta'ala to be just and merciful. Moreover, this only applies to husband and wife. If my boss if female, I have to obey my boss. Mothers are highly respected in Islam, moreso than the father. A man asked the Prophet :D who he should obey first, to which he replied "Your mother." Then he asked who was next, then he said "your mother" then he asked again and he still said "your mother" Then he asked who was next, to which he replied "then your father." The same applies to aunts, grandmothers, etc.

The punishment is same for both the man and the woman. If a man or woman commits adultery, the accuser has to bring four witnesses to the event. A man cannot just say "my wife cheated on me, kill her." Anyone who accuses a chaste woman of committing adultery gets whipped. And Allah might decide to punish him more in the hereafter.

Again, arranged marriages have nothing to do with Islam. This is a cultural practice which needs to be eliminated.

The reason is because men have more financial responsibility, whereas women do not have to spend money to support their family.

I hope I answered your question. You don't have to agree with it, but at least you understand why it is a certain way.

Ok, why is it in several Muslim countries teh testimony of a women in coart is worth 1/4 of that of a man?

You're saying that the man must pay for the women, but why can't the women work and pay for her family too? Why must she stay at home?

Why must the wife obay teh hustband? I know what the man is supposed to do within the marrage buuuuuuuuuuuuut, lets be honest, he's human and humans are flawed. Who's to say he isn't abusive? If he is, nobody will listen. I've heard sooooooooooo many cases of this it just isn't shocking anymore. People expect it now here in Europe. That's the Immage that's been painted.

I didn't speak of adulters but of umarried men or women who choose to have a relationship with someone who is also not married. Maybe against Islam but some how the women always gets more punnished then the man. You know how many women got killed by members of their own family in "honor killings" in the UK last year?

Salaam,

there is obviously a difference between what Islam says on the issue of women and the practice in Muslim countries. I think it is very unfair to offer harsh criticism to CHTHON for therefore questioning the inequlity of women in Islam. At least three of the countries in the middel east have been or are 'Islamic' countries by their own definition, Iran, KSA and Afghanistan. Once these countires start acting in a certain way AND using the Quran to defend their actions, is it any wonder that non-Muslims have these impressions? The questions CHTHON asked are perfectly reasonable and the fact they have a simple answer is good, but it is not good when this is conbined with insults about his sources.

To put it another way, the vast majority of non-Muslims all over thw world believe that the situation discribed bt CHTHON is true both in theory and practice. If I were you I would be glad that someone has quesitoned this and come to ask people who will know the answer rather than just perpetuating tales.

I have a question for you, however, which may require a little more thought. Firstly, one assumption: Please accept, as I do, that what CHTHON discribed is the practice in many Islamic countries but has no basis in Islamic theory. I would discribe these practices as not just non-Islamic, but anti-Islamic as they blacken the name of the religion. What have you done to publically stand up and protest against these practices? Have you marched in the streets? Sign petitions? Protested outside embassies?

When the war in Iraq was still just a theoretical proposition people all accross Europe protested because it went againt what they believed and they felt it would blacken the naem of the west.

My question then, why do Muslims not explicably condemn these practices? Why do Muslims not explicitly condemn taking away from women the rights they were given under Islam? Why do you, personally, not sign/write a petition, go on a protest or act to prevent something that does almost as much harm to the name of Islam as the terrorist issue?

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Very good point you made there. I wondered this myself. I heard from Muslism on TV that if they did that people in their comunity would harm them and their family. Makes me wonder if anyone is really all that Muslim anymore when they act like that?

if someone beat women than , their should be proper investigation. Well, i don't know wht u talking about, if someone did that than it is bad, but most of afghans r very good with their families, and women.

and if someone did something in afghanistan that is beat women publicily , or torure woman than it is against Islam.

salaam,

Isla was the first to give womens right. Islam is the most just and fair sytem for any human being to live under. Moreover it gives the best protection to the women. :D

salaam,

Isla was the first to give womens right. Islam is the most just and fair sytem for any human being to live under. Moreover it gives the best protection to the women. :D

I notice that not your nor anyone else here replies to Darla's post regarding how come Muslims never protest against women's rights abuse. I see no evidence to lead me to believe that I was wrong in my earlier assumptions. This or that isn't part of Islam? Why don't you all do something about it unless you agree with it?