Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
taoist

Post Length Limits ...

Greetings, administrators,

Currently, this board supports posts limited to about 500 words (3072 characters, 3kb), which is insufficient for many detailed responses. I would like to point out that since space for individual posts is allocated dynamically in your databases, this limit does not decrease the space required to store individual posts were the limit expanded.

Instead, it merely requires us to break up longer postings across multiple posts. Were I the only one with a tendency to write in 1500-word essays, I'd say this is only a minor issue. But everywhere I go on this board, I see others forced to do the same. Please consider expanding the post length limit to a more reasonable and less restrictive value. I would suggest 20,000 bytes, which works out to about 3000 words.

Again, the software won't use the full 20kb to store smaller posts, so there is no increase in storage overhead.

As ever, Jesse

PropellerAds

Peace Jesse

Thanks for your suggestion. This issue had a poll long ago, and I made my case, explaining that most users get bored and propably wont make it to the end of large posts. By limiting post characters, we're trying to encourage members to focus and condense their thoughts in fewer words, so that more audiance can benefit and share in the discussions. There is also another side to this, as many members tend to copy and paste from other resources. To those we're also trying to encourage them to summarize instead of copying the whole thing effortlessly. Even in replies, you'll find members who simply quote a large post in its full, only to say: 'yea, I agree'!

Because its a forum, characterized by fast moving members between our different sections and growing number of topics, I thought its best to resolve to that setup. Our database is also getting very big and heavy, and that makes harder to manage and maintain. You're right, the software doesn't allocate any preset size for each post, but its only a try to encourage members to put more meanings in less words. At least it worked with the copy&paste fans.

Thanks dot,

I actually considered the "copy and paste" issue, but, ironically, due to post length limits ... :D

This issue has been addressed on other boards, and I know it's a real issue on muslim boards, as there's a tendency to want to cite every last bit of some ruling by an Islamic scholar and then shut up in deference to authority. Generally, while I've seen this issue handled with varying degrees of success, the best solution I've seen is to limit pastes to no more than two paragraphs and require that commentary exceed pasted text.

Ultimately, this is a discussion board, and what we write should reflect our own thoughts. I saw your thread asking for fixed articles on specific issues that arise again and again. I know how annoying it can be to answer the same question again and again, but this is also what makes discussion work. People don't come to a discussion board because they're too lazy to read independently but because they want the personal contact. An answer made to another member may also answer another's intellectual needs, but it fails to touch their hearts.

(I think a better solution to your "call for papers" would be to set up an area for links to articles by outside authors addressing these topics. The articles already exist, you know, all you have to do is search for them.)

It's one thing to discourage unoriginal content, but another thing when these efforts also discourage the more thoughtful poster such as myself, if I can say so with humility. Sure, I can keep on busting my posts up in order to get around the restriction, but is this what you want? I know I'm not the only one who is forced to use this method here.

I see this board is still kind of getting a feel for its place on the internet and wish you the best of luck in finding a mission you can best address with your efforts.

As ever, in peace, Jesse

Blame the short attention spans on net addiction... there will come a time when we wont tolerate more then 10 words in a convo lol

Peace, Abdul,

Actually, I like the idea that people with short attention spans don't respond to my posts. It works as a filter to keep responses down from those who don't want to look any deeper than an IM convo.

Oh, and I might mention that it's possible to set up different limits on different fora on a board. This is especially useful for formal debates when you want to allow 5000 word articles.

I actually prefer that kind of posting, and the peanut galleries that gather to discuss the debate can be really awesome. I've yet to find a muslim forum that hosts mulim/non-muslim debate threads though.

As ever, Jesse

taoist,

Thanks for your suggestions. They were very good, and convincing.

I hope the new changes, announced here: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=28837"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=28837[/url] help improve the quality of topics and replies in the forum insha'Allah. I also hope that you and all other members find them agreeable.