Islamic Forum
desertdweller

Do You Think Reverts Feel/act Superior Sometimes?

Do you think reverts feel/act superior sometimes?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think reverts feel/act superior to born muslims?

• Yes
    • No
    • Born muslims act the same
    • Both sides are guilty

:D

Do you think reverts feel/act superior sometimes to born muslims? lately i've noticed that muslims who have converted go into depth about how born muslims dont know what they are doing, they dont do any good, that they the converts will restore Islam to its natural state....just got me wondering why they want to put down their own muslims? we should be patient with our brothers and sisters, honestly i never heard a born muslim complaining about the converts.

PropellerAds

:D akhi desertdweller.

Okay I must say I am myself a revert so I cannot judge the situation properly. I have experienced a lot of born-Muslims who had a quite superiority complex concerning their stances in discussions. But I have also experienced the majority of Muslims (reverts and born ones) having a more decent character. I think thats merely a character issue not a revert vs. born-Muslim thing.

Maybe reverts are more head-through-the-wall types in average, because in order to leave your old religion/ideology you need first to rebel mentally against it (and that needs a little backbone). Thats what I can say.

So, because I do not know a real answer I voted for "both sides guilty". :D

Ma'a Salama

nasiruddin

Assalaamu'alaykum

I voted for both sides are guilty.

When I first embraced Islam, I thought that born Muslims were really fortunate to have been, well, born Muslims. Here I was searching all my life and only finding Islam after a quarter of a century! But alhamdulillah.. better than never.. nadhubillah.

I guess in a way I felt that they were not making the most out of what they had... but after a while, I realised that many of them are searching too.

And the thing is, the family plays a huge part.. the environment that they are brought up in, the friends that they mix with.

However, thre are also situations where because I am a revert, whenever I say anything with regards to the religion, I am not taken seriously.. because, well, I am a revert.

So well, both sides are guilty.

Once we realise that, no one is different except their level of piety.. and we will never know that except Allah.. things are in better perspective, insya Allah.

Wassalaamu'alaykum,

Rayhana

Yet more divisions within the ummah..

So true brother Hasib, and some people even sometime forget that the sahaba themselfs were reverts...

asalamu alaykum

first of all all people are born muslims its their environment/household that makes them adopt another religions. secondly muslim feels happy to be muslims. there is no superiority thing involved i guess. i think the topic is altogether absurd.

It is sad that either should feel superior over the other. They both can be equally sooo good and equally not so good! Allahua alam

i think many of natural born muslims are to blame... they feel as though they have been born into it so they are better than those who joined at later date.. and i think that born muslims dont really care whether or not htey do bad or good.. as long as they are called "muslim" whereas reverts tend to try and seek forgiveness for their past actions.

by the way nasiruddin desertdweller is female :D

I voted no.

I believe that we must differentiate between superiority and being extremely proud of one's religion.

Reverts took a massive step, by leaving behind old beliefs, a way of life, something that was tried and known, and walked through a door into uncharted territory, so they have a right to be extremely proud of what they did, which is being successful. Because by living Islam on a daily basis, that is in itself a huge success.

And they wonder how many born Muslims (compared to what they have come to know, which is the treasure of Islam), can be so detached from Islam and and stagnant. In comparison to what they have accomplished after embracing Islam which is: constantly moving forward, learning and acting upon the Islamic knowledge they have been blessed with.

And they do make a valid point.

And we must also differentiate between inquiry, constructive criticism and being talked down to also :D...

Asalaam alaikum

I think its really down to both groups. Sometimes you find reverts who masha'Allah are so motivated when they first come into Islam that they will go around renouncing what people are doing wring all the time and in harsh ways but you also get the raised muslims who think reverts are stupid just because they entered Islam at a later time than they did.

I had personal experience of this. I was raised muslim although not at all practicing and later sort of 'reverted' to Islam and started practicing alhamdulillah. but one brother at my uni said i dont understand Islam properly because of this reason that i have not bene practicing all my life! and anything i say he will disregard because he thinks as if i'm stupid...!

It is sad that either should feel superior over the other. They both can be equally sooo good and equally not so good! Allahua alam

Well said... :D

w/salaam

SOBHAN Allah I WAS THINKING THE SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

la hawla wala ghwata ila Billah !!!

dont attack me, its just something ive noticed that is an on-going problem within the community.

:D I voted no. I'm a revert, but I commit sins like everyone else. The way I see it is, yes, reverts get a clean slate, but whoever gives them dawah gets rewarded for everything they do. I've never seen any divisions like this in my community. A muslim is a muslim is a muslim.

It doesn't matter if you're a draft pick or a free agent, just as long as you're on the same team. :D

Your BII,

Jibrael

:D everyone for your insights, some really good reflections have been posted. Sister Rayhana that is so true, people sometimes dont take a convert's words right away :D

Am a little confused now. I always thought a revert is someone who was born a muslim but was never really a practising muslim until s/he 'reverted' to Islam. A convert, in my mind, is someone who followed another religion or none at all and then 'converted' to Islam. Anyone want to clear my confusion?

:ws:

Am a little confused now. I always thought a revert is someone who was born a muslim but was never really a practising muslim until s/he 'reverted' to Islam. A convert, in my mind, is someone who followed another religion or none at all and then 'converted' to Islam. Anyone want to clear my confusion?

Those who embrace Islam and become Muslims are referred to as Reverts, not Converts, because all people are born Muslim :D

Rhetorical question: Do you think everyone feels/acts superior sometimes? :D

AS

I don't know. I always personally did feel that revert or convert were superior to born muslims, but me being a born muslims, i think it ok to have this opinion, if indeed a revert stated this, then it would raise my eyebrow, but one thing i rate about them is how humble they are, and if they thinking like that, it certainly isn't the case

its funny bro because when I first joined this forum I asked the same thing. You are right but some people like to say "reverted" because "everyone is born a muslim" ... so if thats so and they convert to Islam, they are reverting back to Islam :D

:D dear muslims

I never really put much thought into what reverts might think of other muslims, except fortunate.

But i understand now, why they might seem to act superioir. I dont think its what they Fel, but just cant understand why born muslims take Islam for Granted, seeing they way many born-muslims behave.

:D dear muslims

I never really put much thought into what reverts might think of other muslims, except fortunate.

But i understand now, why they might seem to act superioir. I dont think its what they Fel, but just cant understand why born muslims take Islam for Granted, seeing they way many born-muslims behave.

i agree.

:D reverts are given the chance to start afresh..thats truly a privilege, so of course they're going to do things properly..its probably for this reason that some feel they act superior. i dont think they do. i think some muslims feel this because of their own insecurities, from the fact that we take Islam for granted ..simply because we are born into it.

Edited by ~mehnaz~