Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flutterby

healthy competition?

:D

okay here's he deal... in my speech class i got a 44/45 on my speech. :D generally i wouldn't bother because it's an elective and not that much of an importance to my major right now (and come on, it's speech :P ), but before i went to get my grade, i was talking with my friend in the library when this guy walks up to us and he's like 'i just got my grade back for the speech and i got a 43/45... what did YOU get?' like he was challenging me or something. (and this guy treats me like i'm some dumb little kid, but just because i have this bubblegum personality, it doesn't mean i'm naiive or airheaded or something.) but anyway, i went and got my grade and he asked me yet again what i got. when i told him his face went from B) to :P to :D and then finally he settled on :D so... yeah he's MAD at me because i got a better grade than him... even though the difference was only 1 point.

now, should i feel wrong that the fact that i was able to show him up and totally prove that i'm not just some bubblebrained idiot? because the look on his face totally made my day... but i feel bad that it did. anyway, he's mean with his big old briefcase and his 'im better than you' attitude. it's good that he got humbled, but i just dunno.

the day before that, we had to do this debate speech on whether marrying at a young age was good or not (and i got lots of the info for my argument from bro slave's thread lol) but i totally cleaned the floor with him, and he said something and i was going to respond and he was like 'can you WAIT for me to finish?!!?!' the urge to slap him welled up inside me like this monster waiting to come out. I CANNOT STAND THIS GUY!!! what do i dooo? he's in half my classes and somehow i'm always stuck being his partner or in his group or something, and even though i work my butt off and prove i'm not some airhead, it doesn't get through to him that there's more to me than the little girl and i'm sick of being treated like one.

so yeah... there's my vent.

PropellerAds

... teenagers. What's a bubblegum personality?

:w:

Bubblegum personality...hmmm.

Well, im guessing it means 'neither here nor there', very friendly, outgoing, funny, a bit kiddish....annoying?

well...

yeah i guess that would sum it up. lively and all that.

Hey flutterby, ok well I have had the same problem on many occasions.

I finished top of all of my classes, and you can imagine the envy that gets spewed at me. In economics, a guy who used to be my friend, began to be really rude to me after a while because I kept beating him. By looking at me , most of them think Im some dumb bimbo...

I got into many fights with this guy...it mainly came from the frustration of me being better at him in everything. He just couldn't handle it because his ego was soo swollen.

My advice is, especially around guys, to be modest. Don't really talk about your results, and if he asks 'how did you go' just reply with 'I did very well' and eventually he will get the point that you don't want to share the info with him. I mean it is personal anyway :D

haha but that's the thing! i wasn't gOING to tell him, but he specified like 'what SCORE did you get?' i'm gonna unleash my wrath in his direction if he doesn't watch out. btw, this guy is like... 10 years older than me, too. so no this isn't a "teenager" thing. :D

lol so you should release your wrath,,,

eg: respond by "IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS MATE" :D :D

That should work.. B)

If he is in his 20's, then he sounds like a bit of a loser. Men are like that...can't handle the competition

Guest Guest

Salaam sis!:D

hmmm...just be glad you kick his butt!

I'd be.

I hate such people with big ego's I used to go to school with them....

wsalaam

Guest Guest

:D BTW that was me Qassab :D

And dzenana gave good advice

Its funny because I remember in high school we all used to do the same thing and be like oh what did you get and this and that and be like oh well i did better.

Then in University it was like how did you do and we would do the opposite and be like oh i did horrible and blah and blah so I guess we became more humble.

Its something that happens when you are a youngin or when people want to give themselves self confidence but looking down on the capabilities of others.

yeah... like, honestly, i don't give a hoot what he gets or if its better than me... i set and meet my own goals and aims and i always have, never understood being in competition with others. anyway... he's gonna get it! ARRRRGH! <-- that's me being evil. bwa ha haaa

If there was a sister in class that was really clever. I wouldn't mind, I would be quite proud actually :D Then part of me would be *sigh* someone like her is out of my league T_T

:w:

Edited by ahm

there need to be more brothers like you, ahm, and less like captain know-it-all-look-at-my-briefcase-im-so-cool. (but that thing about being out of your league, not true. reach for the stars. :D )

Peace!

Aww, flutterby.

You should be proud of your achievements and not hide them. If he asks, why not tell him. It's healthy for him to know that he's not the crowning achievement of creation.

This used to happen to me all the time when I was in school. I remember one boy who would always ask me what I got on tests and then tell everybody, "I'm really smart, but she is just a brain and that's why she got two points better than me." He made it out as if it was a flaw to be smarter than he was. This was really very funny.

Take him with a grain of salt. You are teaching him things about himself, and about women, and he doesn't want to know these things. It's for the best that he figures them out. He doesn't need to be protected from the truth, even if the truth causes him to make a nasty fuss. Just don't let him make you angry or bait you into acting like a fool or saying something you'll regret. You have such a kind heart, don't let anybody make you forget yourself.

thanks for your words, kale. but yeah, some guys just can't take the strength of us women. :D *flexes bicep* yeaaahhhh...

Peace.

Hehe! Yeah. But you've got to have some sympathy for the gents. They try so hard to be strong and there for women, and if they feel like maybe they can't manage it, well. The easiest thing to do about that is to pretend that women are really weak and dumb and helpless. It makes them feel stronger in comparison, and needed.

The trouble with the western feminist movement is that it hasn't really tried to tell men that we will always, always need them. And that a man's strength comes from his family and community, so having strong women in his society makes him mighty, too. Hopefully the women's movement in the Muslim world will do a better job.

Salams sis

Next time tell him you got 45/45 and guage the reaction. He sounds like the perfect candidate for a few wind ups!!

Ma'a salaama