Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SIJ

Shortening The Esha Salaat

Assalaamalaikum

I want to know if it is Permissible to Shorten the Esha salaat?

As during the week after long days I can't pray the whole 17 rakaats.

So I shorten it and only pray the 4 Fardh, 2 Sunnat and 3 witr waajib.

Is this permissible?

thank you

:D

PropellerAds

Assalamu alaikum

The Sunnah and Nafl rakahs are not compulsory for your salah to be valid, but one must not underestimate the rewards they carry with them. Prophet Muhammed(peace be upon him) said ' those who do not follow his sunnah are not from amongst him.' An extra 10 or so minutes isn't too much to ask now, is it? :D

Ma'assalama

Aslamuaalakum

Actually there is a type of Sunnah for Isha salat (or any other salah containing sunnat) that you can omit:

Ghair Muakkada Sunnah (4 rakats in isha salat)

"Unascertained prayers. These types of optional Salah (prayers) were much, but not always, practiced by the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam)"

You can also omit the nafl, but as strider pointed out, I find that 2 short nafl is a good way to thank or ask Allah for favours.

Edited by peacelover

:D for the feedback above...

I have been told by an Islamic Society Vice that if there's a lot of work to do and isha prayer needs to be shortened, only read Fardh- which i found a bit 'switched off' cuz i thought it wasn't enough for Isha, hence, i suppose that by reading Nafl, it's a satisfaction.

Assalamu'Alikum,

there are many Hadiths which Aisha(RA) states our beloved prophet(SWS) never use to pray less that 7 rakkats. Not that is 4 Fard, 2 Sunna and either 2 nofol and 1 witr or 3 witr. Try to do minimum 7 but as long as the Fard is done then Insha'Allah you will not be sining. Our prophet(SWS) also said to pray witr prayers before one goes to sleep. Remember that the Witr prayer is NOT part of salat-ul Easha.

Fee Amanillah.

as bro SIJ mentioned you can do 4 fardh, 2 sunnah (muakada [stressed sunnah]) and 3 witr

ma'salamah