Islamic Forum
imi khan

Wearing Jeans

Is it fine to wear dress like jeans and T shirt or trousers and T shirts and offer the prayers.. I hope I get an authentic answer inshAllah. and also I wanted to ask that wether wearing dresses like jeans, T shirts , trousers allowed in Islam anyway??

PropellerAds

Assalamu alaikum

What's wrong with wearing jeans providing they are modest? :D

Ma'assalama

Assalam o Alaimum,

Based on my knowledge I will say that if it covers your body it is okay. Doesn't matter if it is jeans or what. As for T shirt I read somewhere that short sleves are not recommended. Wear long sleevs.

Salam.

:SL

If you are female you are not alowed to wear t-shirt but as a male you are and as for trousers woman arent allowed to wear that in the same way that men arent allowed to wear skirt, dresses ect.

:D :D

If you are female you are not alowed to wear t-shirt but as a male you are and as for trousers woman arent allowed to wear that in the same way that men arent allowed to wear skirt, dresses ect.

The manner in which a mans trouser is tailored is different to that of a womans'. As long as the body is covered and nothing is being flaunted shamelessly, and you would be alright standing before your Lord in the attire, wear it. :D

Ma'assalama

:D

Yeah as long your body's covered it allright. That means your body shape aswell and trousers dont exactly do that.

Assalamu Alaikum,

A male is allowed to wear a jeans and t-shirts but it should not be transparent or of thin material so as to show the skin colour and it should not be tight.

The clothing in which a woman appears before non-mahram men must meet eight conditions:

1- It should cover the entire body, including the face and hands(there is difference of opinion regarding face and hand in scholars so one should cover it for it is better).

2- It must be wide and loose, not showing the size of her limbs or the shape of her body.

3- It should not be thin, showing the colour of her skin.

4- It should not be an adornment in and of itself, such as clothing decorated with embroidery.

5- It should not be perfumed.

6- It should not resemble the clothing of men.

7- It should not resemble the dress of kaafir women.

8- It should not be a dress of fame and vanity.

Based on this, a woman should not appear in front of men wearing pants or trousers for two reasons:

1 – They show the shape of the woman’s legs

2 – Wearing them is an imitation of men

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: If a woman wears pants and puts over them a wide garment then she will not be resembling men, so long as she wears them underneath her garments. End quote from Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, p. 573.

But women should not wear garments which resembles male. And our prophet(pbuh) cursed the women who imitates man. so it is better not wear such dresses.

May Allaah (swt) guide this group with true knowledge.

Assalamu Alaikum,

A male is allowed to wear a jeans and t-shirts but it should not be transparent or of thin material so as to show the skin colour and it should not be tight.

The clothing in which a woman appears before non-mahram men must meet eight conditions:

1- It should cover the entire body, including the face and hands(there is difference of opinion regarding face and hand in scholars so one should cover it for it is better).

2- It must be wide and loose, not showing the size of her limbs or the shape of her body.

3- It should not be thin, showing the colour of her skin.

4- It should not be an adornment in and of itself, such as clothing decorated with embroidery.

5- It should not be perfumed.

6- It should not resemble the clothing of men.

7- It should not resemble the dress of kaafir women.

8- It should not be a dress of fame and vanity.

Based on this, a woman should not appear in front of men wearing pants or trousers for two reasons:

1 – They show the shape of the woman’s legs

2 – Wearing them is an imitation of men

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: If a woman wears pants and puts over them a wide garment then she will not be resembling men, so long as she wears them underneath her garments. End quote from Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, p. 573.

But women should not wear garments which resembles male. And our prophet(pbuh) cursed the women who imitates man. so it is better not wear such dresses.

May Allaah (swt) guide this group with true knowledge.

The awrah for men is from the naval to the knees. So if I'm working outside and it's hot, I can take my shirt off, give that I'm covered above from the awrah to the knees. :D

and I really don't agree w/ #7 b/c my dress resembles the dress of kafirs, but what does that have to do w/ piety or faith? As long as you are following the dress code (modesty) then you are ok. Why should I have to go through the trouble of buying different clothes just to be differetn? I bought close from the store and they fit the guidelines of Islame, therefore, there is nothing wrong w/ wearing the same clothes as kafirs!!!!!!

Assalamu alaikum,

Brother you are right, but we should not wear such things that are particularly worn by kafirs, as saffron colour (because it is the colour of hindu religion and they wear it).

So we have to find out the universality of clothes.

And we should avoid wearing clothes which specifically resembles kafir because our beloved Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.â€

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw ‘Ali wearing two garments dyed with safflower and said: “These are garments of the kuffaar; do not wear them.â€

So brother and sister my opinion is that one should check that whether his clothes specifically resembles kuffar or not. And should check the universality of clothes.

salaam.....people r saying that we should not wear clothes that resemble the kafirs.......wot kid of clothes in particular r u talking bout....things like miniskirts.....etc.....r those the kind of clothes ur talking about???

Assalamu alaikum,

Brother you are right, but we should not wear such things that are particularly worn by kafirs, as saffron colour (because it is the colour of hindu religion and they wear it).

So we have to find out the universality of clothes.

And we should avoid wearing clothes which specifically resembles kafir because our beloved Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.â€

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw ‘Ali wearing two garments dyed with safflower and said: “These are garments of the kuffaar; do not wear them.â€

So brother and sister my opinion is that one should check that whether his clothes specifically resembles kuffar or not. And should check the universality of clothes.

assalamu alaikum,

salaam.....people r saying that we should not wear clothes that resemble the kafirs.......wot kid of clothes in particular r u talking bout....things like miniskirts.....etc.....r those the kind of clothes ur talking about???

A sincere advice to all brother's and sister's to read the whole topic before posting as it reduces misguidance.

May Allaah(swt) guide this group with true knowledge

what wrong in a lose t shirt?As far as women aura is covered, i think every thing is permisible.I don't see anything wrong if a woman is wearing lose t shirt, and a lose jeans with proper hijab.

It should not be an adornment in and of itself, such as clothing decorated with embroidery.

i just want to point out that many many abayas from different countries, like KSA, have embroidery on them.

I think this thread is going to confuse people, someone here said 'dont dress like the kufar' well i know lots of non muslims who wear modest clothing like muslims. we need to elaborate on what is 'kufar-like clothing'.

women can wear t-shirts, just not in the presences of non-mahram, and not for prayer, in other words, she should cover herself.

(www.)"63.175.194.25/index.php?cs=prn&ln=eng&QR=69789&dgn=4&dgn=2"]63.175.194.25/index.php?cs=prn&ln=e...789&dgn=4&dgn=2[/url]

that's a good place to get info about this topic. The main idea is that you shouldn't wear what the kufar wear if it is particular to their customs/religious beliefs. Like buddhist monks, they wear a certain garment that is specific to Buddhist monks. If a muslim wears what they where, then this is not permissible b/c in this case, the muslim would be imitating the kufar. But when the kufar and the muslims wear the same clothing, then it is not considered imitation.

Assalam o Alaikum,

I am struggling to separate culture and tradition from religion. Our beloved propher (PBUH) lived in KSA. There were certain things there that were part of tradition and culture according to weather conditions. Like loose clothing that allow free air flow around the body. And that is what early muslim women and men used to wear. Does that mean that we are supposed to wear same cloths today doesn't matter where we live and how it fits us in the society?

I wonder what would happen if Islam had started in a cold place in Russia or Canada?

T-Shirts, jeans, etc are now wore all around the world even in KSA. But, sure it started in a place that is not known to be Islamic. How does this fit into our thinking now a days? If T-Shirts and Jeans started from a place in the world not known as cradel of Islam does it make it non-islamic or the dress of kuffar? What do we have to say about renouned and respected scholars who are wearing suits and tie and they are appearing on national TV?

Salaam,

from what I read (btw, the Islam q+a article was good) it means you can't wear saffron robes like buddhist monks, you can't wear a bhindi like hindu women, you can't wear a dog collar like christian priests, you can't wear a skull cap like jewish men etc

Basically, where something is a clothing symbol of a religion other than Islam then it is prohibited. However, something like jeans are not a symbol of a different religion, they're just a type of garment worn by peopl of all faiths around the world. As they are therefore 'religion neutral' they would seem to be permitted.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

salam,

first of all, wearing jeans and a top for salah, i find unacceptable. We are standing in front of our lord who has created us, who had made covering ourselves modestly compulsory, yet to stand in his court and pray to him in a state like that is not correct. wearing a jubba and a dupatta would make u feel more modest and humble. it will be hard to perform ihsan if the clothing isnt very modest. so id say u shudnt,

secondly, wearing jeans for girls - dont think its ryt. yes we can argue and come out with so many reasons but at the end of the day, who said to mankind somewhere along the lines "men should not imitate women and vice versa"? of course our noble prophet muhammad saw did. all in all taking this in to consideration - wearing jeans isnt correct clothing for a female. esp if there is not jubba or abaya on top! that is a deffo no no!

may Allah forgive me for any mistakes made,

Peace

Salaam,

from what I read (btw, the Islam q+a article was good) it means you can't wear saffron robes like buddhist monks, you can't wear a bhindi like hindu women, you can't wear a dog collar like christian priests, you can't wear a skull cap like jewish men etc

Basically, where something is a clothing symbol of a religion other than Islam then it is prohibited. However, something like jeans are not a symbol of a different religion, they're just a type of garment worn by peopl of all faiths around the world. As they are therefore 'religion neutral' they would seem to be permitted.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Awesome paraphrase of the Islam-QA article. Good job!!

Assalamoalikum

many thanks to all of you.. Allah bless you and me and I pray that He make us go on the right path inshAllah.

w.salam

what wrong in a lose t shirt?As far as women aura is covered, i think every thing is permisible.I don't see anything wrong if a woman is wearing lose t shirt, and a lose jeans with proper hijab.

Yeah, a lose t shirt and a lose jeans wont cover your body in the same way as the proper Islamic dress does. And shouldnt we follow what it says in the qur'aan and the hadiths?

salaam