Islamic Forum
Jibrael

From Robert Dufour To Jibrael

:D I reverted to Islam in 2003. I'd be happy to tell my story.

My birth name is Robert Dufour and I was born in Windsor, Canada in 1981. My reversion to Islam was a rather simple one, compared to some other brothers and sisters who go through many trials and tribulations. I grew up in a small town outside Windsor my whole life. My father was (and still is) a standup comedian, and he and my mother ran a comedy club business. Although my family was Catholic and I went to a Catholic school, they didn't practice their religion that much. Basically, the two Christians Eid's, Christmas and Easer, was when we went to church. I found church to be kind of boring, except for the part where you shake everyone's hand and say "peace be with you." (Ironic, eh?) My worst experience with church was confession. During the reconciliation ceremony in Grade 6, I remember balling my eyes out after I confessed my sins to the priest. I couldn't understand why, it just felt wrong. Allah subhana wa ta'ala, through his mercy and grace, kept me safe through the most dangerous time of a kid's life: high school. Although High School was cool and all, there was a lot of haram stuff attached to it. Drugs, sex, gambling, backbiting, car crashes. HS kids would drink more than you could imagine. The hadith of the Prophet Muhammad :D states that one of the signs of the end-times was when alcohol would be drunk in great amounts. Whenever I would get even close to these things, I would feel like throwing up. Even getting close to a girl would make me feel like vomiting. I wondered what was wrong with me, but later on I would find out why.

After I left High School, I was fascinated with hypnosis. I had gotten a book on it and wanted to study as much of it as possible. I found the nearest school that taught it, and began learning about this fascinating field. I learned that the human body has the ability to do so many things. After finishing that course, I became more religious. I kept thinking how is it possible that the human brain was created from nothing? Skip ahead to Early 2003.

One night, on the internet, I decided to find out the truth. I had already found out the truth about 9/11, the Moon Landings, the Kennedy Assassination, that I wanted to research Islam. I typed in "Islam" on the internet. The first website I came to had a picture of the human embryo in the mother's womb. I thought to myself "what does this have to do with Islam?" I read on and discovered that there were many verses of the Holy Qur'an that are so scientifically accurate, scientists have only discovered them in the past 50 years. The Qur'aan talks about The Big Bang, The Expansion of the Universe, The Solar Apex, and countless other scientific phenomena. I let it soak in, both anxious and freightened. I found a copy of the Qur'an and started reading it. I was glued to the screen. I read al-Baqarah in one night. This continued for a few months, late at night on the computer.

Continued

PropellerAds

My research culminated with one website that said the speed of light was in the Qur'aan. This I had to see! "Verily, a day in the sight of your Lord is like a thousand years of what you reckon." (22:47) Since Velocity = equals distance over time, they figured out that C = (12000 x 3682.092 x 0.8915645 x 655.71986) / 86164.0906 = 299792.5 km/s! :D my heart was racing! Source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.speed-light.info/angels_speed_of_light.htm#speeof_light_12000"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.speed-light.info/angels_speed_o..._of_light_120

0[/url]

That night, I had a dream that I fed a poor person, and all of the sudden, I could see this beautiful light above. I was so amazing, more amazing than anything I have ever seen. When I woke up, I didn't feel scared. Before, I would have nightmares that would scare me to death, but this time, I felt Allah's light protecting me. A few months later, Ramadan rolled around, and I made a promise to Allah ta'ala that I would fast at least 4 days this month. One day, I decided to go to Windsor to the masjid and get a copy of the Qur'an. I met one brother there from the Tableeghi jamaat and we started talking. He asked me why I was interested in Islam. I said that in my opinion, there's no way that a human being could have written the Qur'an. He said well what are you waiting for, then? You have all the qualities of a muslim. I said I don't know, maybe I'd want to research it some more. He said that when you leave here, you don't know what could happen. You could get struck by lightning, or hit by a car, and by then it would be too late. I started thinking, yeah, maybe you're right. Well, he gave me this room to myself for a few minutes to think about it.

So, I'm alone in this room, trying to pray or meditate, and all the sudden, I felt my jaw shaking like 100 time per second. It was shaking so much, I couldn't explain it. This went on for about 5 minutes. I heard the adhan for Dhuhr, and I picked up a Qur'aan from the bookshelf and started reading it. Suddenly, the shaking stopped. I was ready. When the brother came back, I said "let's do it." I took shahadah in front of all my brothers, and the rest is history.

So it's been about 2 and a half years, and so far, so good. :D I feel so priviledged by Allah ta'ala that I could see the signs and not walk away. So many times I try to tell my friends about this, and they look at me with these blank faces. It so easy to see that the Qur'aan is 100% from Allah, but their hearts are sealed. But we can't give up. If we ask Allah ta'ala with sincere devotion, and keep practicing, soon Islam will be the biggest religion in the world. I doesn't take a scholar or a guy with a thobe and beard to spread the message of Islam. All it takes in sincere devotion, patience, and du'aa to Allah ta'ala, and people will :D see the beauty of Islam.

:D

Beautiful story brother Jibrael :D , may Allah keep you and all of us on the straight path.

If we ask Allah ta'ala with sincere devotion, and keep practicing, soon Islam will be the biggest religion in the world.

:D I heard that in the year 2025 or sooner Islam will become the largest relgion in the world.

Asslamu alaykum

Alhamdulliah, Im very much happy for my brother jibrael found the correct path of life.

Allah says:

This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islâm as your religion ( surah Al Ma'dah, 5:3)

Do ask any questions to your brothers and sisters in IF

"May Allah bless us and guide us into the right path"

wassalam

Assalamu alaikum

Wow.. Subhan'Allah! That was a really inspiring read.

Jazakumullah Khair, for sharing. May Allah have mercy on us all. Ameen.

Ma'assalama

That was a really nice read brother Jibrael.

:D for sharing your story. I'm sure it will be an inspiration to many, insha Allah.

May Allah bless us and guide us into the right path"

Ameen :D Ameen!

:D for sharing your story. It was as the others have said, quiet inspiring! Alhamdillah, for the blessing of Islam.

Fee Eman Allah,

that's a really unique but inspirational story jibrael...thanks for sharing brother... :D

wassalam

Salamu Alaikum Dear Beloved Brother

Subhan'Allah, conversion stories are my favorite, but this one really meant something to me. It shows that not everyone is locked up from the truth, some people read these proofs and argue and make a 1000 excuses, but the heart that is open to it, will always accept guidance.

I hope you don't mind, but I want to ask a question(s) :D

Was there any negative forces stopping you from converting, like someone telling you not convert, or a gut feeling, like something isn;t right?

Did you always feel like you were different from others, like you had been protected from most dangers, and nothing really bad ever happened to you?

How did your parents,family, friends take it?

Did you feel you had a responsibility, like Islam was your calling for something better, for something you had to do?

Weird Questions, but I just want to know :D :D

Jazakallahu Khairon Brother.

Salamu Alaikum

Edited by alim_in_training

Salamu Alaikum Dear Beloved Brother

Subhan'Allah, conversion stories are my favorite, but this one really meant something to me. It shows that not everyone is locked up from the truth, some people read these proofs and argue and make a 1000 excuses, but the heart that is open to it, will always accept guidance.

I hope you don't mind, but I want to ask a question(s) :D

Was there any negative forces stopping you from converting, like someone telling you not convert, or a gut feeling, like something isn;t right?

Did you always feel like you were different from others, like you had been protected from most dangers, and nothing really bad ever happened to you?

How did your parents,family, friends take it?

Did you feel you had a responsibility, like Islam was your calling for something better, for something you had to do?

Weird Questions, but I just want to know :D :D

Jazakallahu Khairon Brother.

Salamu Alaikum

Were there any negative forces...

Ummm... not really, although it took me about nine months to convert. Islam is complete lifestyle change. I wanted to make sure that I was prepared to do everything (making wudu before you pray, fasting, etc.) During that "transition" phase I would still go to the bar, but I felt uncomftorable, like I didn't belong there. I stopped eating pork. This one time, when I was listening to music, I though "listening to music is okay", and then WHAM! my hand came down and knocked the headphones out of my ears. Music was the biggest jump. I would listen to music all the time. Now, I've cut down, but I still need to ask Allah for help.

Did you always feel like...

Yes, I was never into drinking, dating, and doing drugs. I remember sometimes when I would get close with a girl, I would feel like throwing up. I kept thinking "what's wrong with me? Am I straight? How come no one else feels like this?" Alcohol and drugs were very prevalent in my high school, which you would never think in a 99% white, upper class school.

How did your family...

:D They had no problem with my conversion. They said that as long you're still a good person, we still love you :D I hope Allah guides them :) Most of my "friends" had no problem either, although their life is at the bar and I don't hang out with them much anymore. I want them to see the truth so we can go to Paradise together, but Allah knows best. It would be a complete lifestyle change for them.

Did you feel like you had a responsibility...

When I was non-Muslim, I was basically living with my parents, and delivering pizzas. I had my hypnosis certificate, but there wasn't much for me to do. I was stuck in neutral. Now :D doors have opened up and I have my own office space. I want to help people quit smoking and lose weight. I also have a responsibility to give da'wah to the non-muslims. Most don't even know you can be white and muslim. We need to change this attitude. It looks pretty bleak right now, though. 99% of the people here in my home town are barhoppers.

All it takes in sincere devotion, patience, and du'aa to Allah ta'ala, and people will :D see the beauty of Islam.

very true!

Glad to hear your story brother Jibrael A friend of mine just accepted Islam alhamdullilah and I can definately understand what you meant about the "transition period".

Just a quick quesion, how is the muslim population in Windsor? Is it similar to Hamilton, London and St. Catherines ?

very true!

Glad to hear your story brother Jibrael A friend of mine just accepted Islam alhamdullilah and I can definately understand what you meant about the "transition period".

Just a quick quesion, how is the muslim population in Windsor? Is it similar to Hamilton, London and St. Catherines ?

:D It's a very good community. 25,000 or something like that out of 300,000 people. 50% Sunni, 50% Shia. And some muslims aren't practicing. But it's a good community. You should come down sometime!

InshaAllah.......if I ever end up going on that road trip! I always thought there was a larger muslim population in Windsor.

Alhamullilah that your parents were accepting of your reversion to Islam. That is usually the number one challenge.

:D for sharing your story with us, brother.

It is truly inspirational.

:D brother. Beautiful story. SubhanAllah.

subhanALLAH...

All praise to Allah :D alone.

Jazak Allah khairun for sharing that amazing experience

Edited by - IQRA -

Salaam;

thanks a lot for sharing ur nice story. whenever i read any lovely story like this, it increases my faith.

ÇáÓÇÇã Úáی˜ã

Thats a great story. i think the moral of the story is when a person trys to find the truth Allah shows him the right way.

asalaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

have you guys heard of Khalid yaseen?

he came down to melbourne at a few university's in melbourne and explained to students and people there about Islam, at the end of the night many converted, now he's not allowed in australia, coz he knows too much.

you guys can find what he said and exactly what he spoke about at dis following site here: read it i highly recomend you guys to read it its exellent.

the site is: (www.)"http://sultan/articles/purposeoflife.htm"]sultan/articles/purposeoflife.htm[/url]

and you can also actually download the actual live audio from that night just go to limewire and type in purpose of life khalid yaseen and download it its beautiful.

Mashallah..

its very affective.. I know some converts like yours from my dad, he knows a lot. I think of these and i thank Allah (Alhamdulillah)..I wish you a big happiness on your path brother :D

Edited by muzur

So many times I try to tell my friends about this, and they look at me with these blank faces. It so easy to see that the Qur'aan is 100% from Allah, but their hearts are sealed. But we can't give up.

All praises be to Allah who showed u the right path.

Here i would like to quote the verses

Surah Al Baqarah Chap.2 V.7

"Allah hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty they (incur)."

Surah Al Baqarah Chap.2 V.11-13

" 11. When it is said to them: "Make not mischief on the earth," they say: "Why, we only Want to make peace!"

12. Of a surety, they are the ones who make mischief, but they realise (it) not.

13. When it is said to them: "Believe as the others believe:" They say: "Shall we believe as the fools believe?" Nay, of a surety they are the fools, but they do not know. "

Surah Al Baqarah Chap.2 V.171

"171. The parable of those who reject Faith is as if one were to shout Like a goat-herd, to things that listen to nothing but calls and cries: Deaf, dumb, and blind, they are void of wisdom.

Jibreel akhi thats wonderful man :D!!

p.s. I went to UW hehe in 1999.. its a small town: windsor is.. i'm originally from mississauga.