Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
--**MinorityOpinions**--

Muslim Woman Abuses Her Baby- Poeple Blame Islam

As Salaam Alaikum,

Disguisting, utterly disguisting.

Leniency for 'ignorant' woman who hurt baby

By Steve Bird

A BANGLADESHI woman who shook a baby boy so violently that he suffered brain damage walked free from court yesterday because a judge conceded that she did not know how to behave in the West.

Rahella Khanom, 24, caused the five-month-old boy in her care to suffer fractures to his breast bone and ribs as she tried to rid him of evil spirits, Southwark Crown Court was told.

The injuries inflicted on the child over several weeks had caused one side of his brain to shrink. It was believed that the boy would have been screaming in agony for eight weeks because his injuries went untreated.

Khanom, from Poplar, East London, said that she had wanted to purge the baby of evil spirits as it cried and cried. She was not found to be mentally ill.

The court was told that Khanom, a Muslim, did not understand that shaking a helpless baby would not exorcise an evil spirit.

Judge Rodney McKinnon told Khanom: “Normal and right-minded people will be horrified by this. Everybody must recognise how serious it is to treat children in this way and to use violence.†But the judge said that Khanom’s strong cultural and religious beliefs, and the fact that she had been forced by her husband to live in isolation since coming to Britain from Bangladesh, meant that there were exceptional circumstances in her case.

He said: “You are a young lady who came from Bangladesh. You lived there in a rural community, adopting the customs and ways of the people there so that getting to know the ways of living in the West and in this country were not easy.

“I accept you were kept really quite isolated from our society by your community and it would seem to a large extent by your husband as well. Under these circumstances I do not feel it is in the public interest to pass an immediate custodial sentence.â€

Khanom was given an 18-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after admitting one count of cruelty to a person under the age of 16.

Sailesh Mehta, for the prosecution, said that the baby was taken to the Royal London Hospital, in Whitechapel, on November 16, 2004, because he was refusing to eat.

“He had been vomiting and not eating and was having difficulty breathing with a bruise to his head,†Mr Mehta said.

“On examination, the doctor found the top of the head was bulging.â€

He added: “On the last occasion the prosecution accepted that the child was doing well and thankfully had passed the developmental milestones expected of him.†Kate Bex, for the defence, told the court that Khanom’s religious and cultural beliefs had led to her shaking the child.

She said: “She now knows that this was not an appropriate way to deal with her belief in manifestation of spirit.â€

(www.)"timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2142347,00.html"]link[/url]

What in the world has she been taught? She believes that in Islam it's ok to abuse a kid?

salaam

PropellerAds

Does the Islam belief include excorcising evil spirits? Because that is what led her to abuse her child.

:D

Islam does believe in exorcising the jinn, but that is done with Qur'anic recitation and absolutely not the above.

The woman did that out of sheer ignorance, and out of cultural beliefs, nothing to do with Islam.

:D they insert the word Islam anywhere these days!

Just like sis Kaneeza said.

:D :D :D

:)

Islam does believe in exorcising the jinn, but that is done with Qur'anic recitation and absolutely not the above.

The woman did that out of sheer ignorance, and out of cultural beliefs, nothing to do with Islam.

well said! :D

Does the Islam belief include excorcising evil spirits? Because that is what led her to abuse her child.

People will make any excuse in courts these days...

Her culture probably is very superstitious of evil spirits but there in no reference to killing babies as far as im concerned in Islam

I don't see a problem with the article. It was her religious and cultural beliefs that led her to abuse her child. She's obviously ignorant of her own religion. But she claims to be a Muslim. Do the math.

they insert the word Islam anywhere these days!

:D :)

i'm pretty sure that she done this because of the stress she is facing in life, and took it out on a defenceless child... this isnt becuase of culture or ignorance of relgion.. typicaly in bangladesh when people want to do an excorism they go to the "imams" they wouldnt do it themself... this is clear cut child abuse... and the media has used it to make the lady seem innocent and blame the relgion of Allah... devils are helpers of one another...

there was a case in southall innit? about some sikh woman who jumped with her 2 infants... she was on the pipes on the otherside of the bridge.. and she saw the train coming.. she jumped off... and got squashed..

Assalamu alaikum

:D I'm in agreement with sister Kaneeza. :D

there was a case in southall innit? about some sikh woman who jumped with her 2 infants... she was on the pipes on the otherside of the bridge.. and she saw the train coming.. she jumped off... and got squashed..

and...? Sikhism didn't even enter the equation.

Ma'assalama

^ er.. yeh thtas what i meant... strange how they always relate bad things to Islam..

Assalamu alaikum

:D I'm in agreement with sister Kaneeza. :D

and...? Sikhism didn't even enter the equation.

Ma'assalama

^ er.. yeh thtas what i meant... strange how they always relate bad things to Islam..

Islam is the victim here. every time a muslim does something Islam pays the prize.

this is so unfair. :)

Islam is the victim here. every time a muslim does something Islam pays the prize.

this is so unfair. :D

Really? I could have sworn the baby was the victim. Thanks for pointing out the mentality of Muslims (you LOVE to think of yourselves as victims).

everywhere you go you point out the bad things about the post

9/11............Islam!!!!!!!!!!!!

london bombings........Islam

spain bombings..........Islam

i wouldnt be surprsied if they said the tsunami was because of the muslims

really bad :D

and wth was the women thinking-beating her child due to evil spirits-wth!

everywhere you go you point out the bad things about the post

9/11............Islam!!!!!!!!!!!!

london bombings........Islam

spain bombings..........Islam

Maybe it's because Muslims are responsible? Ya, I know you deny that they were, etc, etc.

i wouldnt be surprsied if they said the tsunami was because of the muslims

really bad :D

Why would anyone blame the tsunami on Muslims? The Western media is not looking for opportunities to accuse Muslims. Muslims are handing the opportunities to the Western media. They don't need to make up stories like Muslims caused the tsunami.

It's just ridiculous - unbelievable accusations against the muslims these days :D

The Western media is not looking for opportunities to accuse Muslims.

only if you knew

The Western media is not looking for opportunities to accuse Muslims. Muslims are handing the opportunities to the Western media. They don't need to make up stories like Muslims caused the tsunami.

Believe me, the media are looking to accuse muslims - it's so blatent

So you believe there is a worldwide media conspiracy against Muslims?

please-i dont want an argument-i think im gonna stop posting where you post-cos we dont get along

err... yeh kinda.. they wanna defame Islam.. they know were too strong..

you only gotta look at the previous 2 wars.... afghanistan and Iraq... both of them are muslim countries...

:D dear muslim

Its sad and terrible thing to do to baby :D .

Stupid Cultures.

---

Ahh, so you concede defeat. I graciously accept.

Congratulations, now do us a favour and go away