Islamic Forum
guidance

Word Meanings...

Assalamou Alaicom warahamtullahi wabarakatuh...

I hope insha Allah that this message receives you in the best of health and iman.

i've been studying the companion's biographies online... throughout i came across the following terms that i hopw to gain knowledge of their english meanings:

Ansar

Muhajireen

Quraish

Hawdaj

Jizyah

Jazakom Allahu khair, wassalamou Alaicom wr wb

PropellerAds

salaam alaikum,

Here's 3 out of 5 :D

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Ansar"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Ansar[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Jizyah"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Jizyah[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Quraish"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Quraish[/url]

:D

I'm sure you will get replies from others but as for the following i know right now..

Ansar: They were the arabs, the local people of Yathrib (Medinah) who embraced Islam when the prophet :D was driven out of Makkah and travelled to Medina.

Quraish: They were the tribe of people who were responsible for maintaining the Kabaa and the surrouding structures. Mind you in those days, there were 100s of idols in that place and these people the Quraish were protecting all this.

Muhajireen: I belive this word is the plural of the word Muhajir. A Muhajir is a person who does Hijrah (migrate). Hijrah was when the prophet :D migrated from makkah to medina.

For more check out here (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=3737"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=3737[/url]

i would like to add:

Muhajireen:Were the Beleivers who had emigrated with the prophet from Makkah to Madina.

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I think the brothers and sisters have already explained most of the terms, I just wanted to mention though that Allaah says:

"And the first to embrace Islaam of the Muhaajirun (those who migrated from Makkah to al-Madeenah) and the Ansaar (the citizens of al-Madeenah who helped and gave aid to the Muhaajirun) and also those who followed them exactly (in Faith). Allaah is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success." (At-Tawbah 9:100)

The Muhaajirun and the Ansaar mentioned in this aayah are the Sahaabah, and Allaah said that He is pleased with them, and those who follow them exactly in faith, follow them exactly in Eemaan, exactly in belief, believe like they believed and believe in the manner in which they believed.

Is that all the words answered?

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

There are two meanings of the word hawdaj. It depends on which context you have read it. One is the seat on the camel, and the other is the private area designated to a woman. It hasbeen used in the context of Aisha (radhi Allaho anha), when she left her hawdaj and went to relieve herself, and was left behind.

Jizyah is the tax levied on non-Muslims. They were exempted from zakat, and not obligated to fight in battles. BUt were charged this tax to compensate the state purse for the protection and services it rendered for them.

Wassalam