Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shaheena

Why Offer Salaat Only In Arabic?

As Salaam Alaikum

ever since i first learned how to pray as a child i had been asking my parents "why can't i pray in urdu?" The answer every time was " ofcourse you can pray to Allah in any language you want -but Salaat only in Arabic".

Studying at a school run by Irish nuns i saw for myself the changes in the church services from Latin to English , Hindi, Tamil etc. Again my question-but only half hearted- because by now i had learnt the translation of the surahs i would recite while offering salaat.so i could understand what i was saying .

As an adult whenever i helped a child learn the Quran or the salaat,i insisted that it was to be in arabic along with the translation. and yet the question remained at the back of my mind to trouble me.

Then Alhamdolillah i got the chance for Hajj in 2004. and i got my answer there. 2.5 million muslims - speaking in so many different languages - but all praying together as one in one language-Arabic :D

PropellerAds

:D

alhamdulilah... but also translation is not the same as the orginal.. you speak urdu dont you think when translating things from urdu to english it dont convey the correct meaning all the time?... well i know somtimes it happens with bengali it loses the meaning when translating to english.

Thanks sister for asking this very important question.

We first need to set the facts. There is none but one and only version of the Holy Quran, and that is the one in Arabic. There is no English or urdu Quran whatsoever. What you have is simply a commentary on the meanings in the Quran. No human has ever reached a perfect tafsir of The Quran in Arabic, let alone in a different language, and as such, no translation can claim to be 'the translation of the Quran'.

When we stand before The Lord :D in our prayers, we should say verses from the Quran exactly as they were revealed. The language of the Quran is not everything there is. There are loads of treasures in the original words of the Quran, that no translation can ever represent. Perhaps thats why it happens many times that non-Muslims embrace Islam affected just by listening to a recitation of the Quran!

Translations are made only for your own reference to help you reach 'some' understanding of the meanings.

And Allah :D knows best. :D

Quick Answer: The beauty of the Qu'ran is unmatched in any other language in the world. Those who study it can just see the beauty in the verses.

Ever wondered why so many Arab people and jinns converted to Islam after just hearing one or two verses from the Qu'ran? It was because while Arabic was their language, the Qu'ran was very different- it was a more beautiful form of Arabic that could not be duplicated.

Edited by Samee

Assalam Alaikum

Wow.. even I wondered many times.. but this is true tht everyone should pray in single TONE/LANGUAGE.. language of Allah.. i.e. Arabic!!

GOD BLESS US ALL