Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eeps24

Psychiatry

:D

i was thinking of going to school for psychiatry/psychology ...but i hear/read alot of negitive things about it.....whats so bad about it? , your helping people with there problems, i thought it was a good field to help people..........i told a brother at the masjid about how i was thinking of going to school for it, and he looked at me with a look and said not to do it............. what does Islam say about psychiatry?

PropellerAds

Salaam,

I have the exact same question! I heard it's haraam because of the western approach of our spirit and mind etc. , and it's not including our nafs or Allah in any way. Is there any one who could answer this?

Hmmm...interesting subject...

I took a few psychology modules in my local uni before...I think that some of the ideas taught about the mind in psychology do not go hand in hand with Islam. Could be due to the fact that many of the concepts taught in psychology all trace their roots to a person called Sigmund Freud, who was a hardcore atheist.

Also, many psychiatrists reject supernatural causes and religion for abnormal behaviour. They wont believe you if you tell them someone was possessed by a jinn!

Well, this is just my humble opinion.. :D

:D / Peace to all,

Maybe you should explore books written by a prominent Muslim Professor in Psychology. His name is Prof. Malik Badri. I have read a few of his books and they are really an eye opener :D :D

Sis Zabrina

I took a few psychology modules in my local uni before...I think that some of the ideas taught about the mind in psychology do not go hand in hand with Islam. Could be due to the fact that many of the concepts taught in psychology all trace their roots to a person called Sigmund Freud, who was a hardcore atheist.

Also, many psychiatrists reject supernatural causes and religion for abnormal behaviour. They wont believe you if you tell them someone was possessed by a jinn!

Well why would someone who isn't a follower of Islam believe in a jinn (whatever it is, an evil spirit?). There is as much proof of them as there are of ghosts or the resurection of christ and I'm sure you don't believe in that!

I can only say try psychology, maybe it can help. I am sure that you have to come to it positively and believe that it can help you, otherwise tehre is no point as you will be fighting against anything your doctor is trying to do.

I can only say try psychology, maybe it can help. I am sure that you have to come to it positively and believe that it can help you, otherwise tehre is no point as you will be fighting against anything your doctor is trying to do.

I'll keep what I've learnt in Islam, and also in the secular subjects, and I will apply them in the relevant circumstances. Thanks for your words though :D

:D / Peace to all,

Maybe you should explore books written by a prominent Muslim Professor in Psychology. His name is Prof. Malik Badri. I have read a few of his books and they are really an eye opener :D :D

Sis Zabrina

:)

Hmmmm...are his books based on psychology alone, or more on iman? Where can I find his books?

Edited by freedslave

wow...I had a hard time finding this thread after it was moved...

Anyway, I hope sis zabrina sees this post. I just wanted to know where we can get Prof Malik Badri's books from. I read a short sypnosis of his books. Very interesting. I think it'll be useful for future muslim psychiatrists, and those interested in the subject. Do you know where we can get his books from? I wasn't able to find it at any online bookstore....