Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maranatha

What is the desert...

Peace, Love and Blessings,

The Promised Land always lies on the other side of a wilderness. - Henry Havelock Ellis

The lives that are getting stronger are lives in the desert, deep-rooted in God. - Oswald Chambers

The desert is a place where human powers must be renounced. in the desert there can be no more trickery, no illusions as to getting out by ones own means, no possibility of placing hope in natural sources of help.

What is the desert to you? Where is your promised land?

PropellerAds
Guest Sulemaan

Assalaamalaikum,

Life in the desert is what life is all about. To live in the harsh environment of the desert is an unfulfilled dream. To you perhaps the desert is lifeless, but to me the desert itself is life.

October 19, 2001

The Dunes

We ride... like the Bedouins before us... on camels, its inhabitants living on a barren land

The dearth of food and water makes life an everlasting struggle

Yet, this struggle, so real is unseen, hidden by the scenic beauty of the dunes of sand

And this struggle, so real is shrouded by a plethora of tranquility that is ever surrounding

A gust of wind causes a ripple in the air, tenderly caressing the sand

The little grains gently roll down the dunes

I can hear the desert humming... softly and melancholy

This music... it is in perfect accordance with its surroundings

This serene harmonious play makes us forget the struggle

Suddenly, the wind gathers itself and hurls with all fury, threatening to scatter everything

The desert turns hostile, reminding its residents that it is He who is all encompassing

But as quick as it had come, it disappears and everything returns to normal...everything but the dunes

In time, the entire pattern gets refashioned and a whole new landscape is formed

As if the desert cleansed itself from all signs of our existence

We carry on, knowing well that all our tracks are lost and there is no way back,

We carry on, taking a new path hoping to reach the end of our journey

Sulemaan

Peace be ever with you Sulemaan,

I can only wish to experience the desert in the manner in which you have expressed. Truly wonderful words, friend. I am touched by your sharing, Thank you and May God continue to bless you. Amen.

For your first question, the desert for me is an amazing place. Full of tenacity and effeciency and wonderful improvisation. That life can not only take hold but thrive in such an environment is nothing short of amazing to me. The everchanging patterns of the dunes and the wind-scoured rocks is humbling testament to the fact that our Earth is full of such terrible power and yet, even in it's harshest environment it still creates wonderous beauty.

For your second question... My promised land must have trees and grass and lakes and streams. To really be happy I need rolling green hills and fog filled valleys and sandy beaches under a clear blue sky. There is nothing so serene for me as fishing by the muddy shore of a bubbling creek as the clouds float overhead in the Texas spring. Days like that just aren't long enough.

What the desert is to you, this is to me. Cattle lowing off in the distance, bees buzzing in the air, and the soft steady song of water flowing by. That's about as good as it gets.

Er, 'cept for the mosquitoes. I can do without the mosquitoes. All the rest of it's pretty ok though. :D

For your first question, the desert for me is an amazing place. Full of tenacity and effeciency and wonderful improvisation. That life can not only take hold but thrive in such an environment is nothing short of amazing to me. The everchanging patterns of the dunes and the wind-scoured rocks is humbling testament to the fact that our Earth is full of such terrible power and yet, even in it's harshest environment it still creates wonderous beauty.

For your second question... My promised land must have trees and grass and lakes and streams. To really be happy I need rolling green hills and fog filled valleys and sandy beaches under a clear blue sky. There is nothing so serene for me as fishing by the muddy shore of a bubbling creek as the clouds float overhead in the Texas spring. Days like that just aren't long enough.

What the desert is to you, this is to me. Cattle lowing off in the distance, bees buzzing in the air, and the soft steady song of water flowing by. That's about as good as it gets.

Er, 'cept for the mosquitoes. I can do without the mosquitoes. All the rest of it's pretty ok though. :D

Peace be with you Zebra 1,

Wow, what wonderful imaginery!

While reading, I felt like I was almost there with you walking through the streams with a fishing pool over my shoulder.

I hope to read more...

Peace, Love and Blessing,

Peace,

Whenever I think of a 'desert' I think about the hot, scorching sun, little sign of life, and nothing but sand everywhere. :D I imagine people searching desperately for water. They are often met with obstacles like huge sand dunes and decieving mirages.

Only with utmost faith and luck by your side you can survive and find your 'promised land', (an oasis, a spring, a fertile land, etc) a place of safe haven, within the desert.

maranatha, you haven't told us about YOUR promised land.

Edited by Muezza

Peace,

Whenever I think of a 'desert' I think about the hot, scorching sun, little sign of life, and nothing but sand everywhere.  :D I imagine people searching desperately for water. They are often met with obstacles like huge sand dunes and decieving mirages.

Only with utmost faith and luck by your side you can survive and find your 'promised land' (an oasis, a spring, a fertile land, etc) within the desert.

maranatha, you haven't told us about YOUR promised land.

Peace be with you Muezza,

Ah, My Promised Land...

My Promised Land is where there is charity and wisdom and there is neither fear nor ignorance. Where there is patience and humility and there is neither anger nor vexation. Where there is poverty and joy and there is neither greed nor avarice. Where there is peace and meditation and there is neither anxiety nor doubt.

Perhaps, My Promised Land is where ever I am at rest in the presence of God with my heart overflowing with joy reaching out and touching everyone with His Grace.

Peace, Love and many Blessings,

:D

The desert to me....hmm. I see beautiful camels walking for a distance. I see great Muslims talking to each other (with no mixing of the genders). I see the grains of sand making the view look a little like a dream. I see a beautiful place. I can see, or rather feel, the tranquility.

My promised land is (INSHA'Allah, INSHA'Allah) Jannat al Firdaus. Ya Allah, please grant me and all of the followers of the True religion in. Ameen.

Anways, my dream place would be a hilly farm. Not small hills. Big hills with trees acting as a barrier on two sides. Their leaves range from green to red and everything in between. And then, into the forest is a small stream (pure water). Animals of all sorts (not dangerous to mankind) drinking from it and not being frightened by humans. And then, a huge (HUGE) mansion (maybe even a HUGE castle) stands behind me. In it would be the followers of the true religion living peacefully with no hardships because everyone trusts in Allah completely & they know that any pain will be rewarded. There would be no diseases. There would be orphans living there and I would treat them as well as my best friend (better). Everyone would be content with what they have (and no greediness). Everyone would spend most of their time worshipping Allah. Everyone would be a Muslim. Everyone would be educated. Ya Allah. What a world would that be?

BTW, good post

Edited by o2cute4u

salaam alaikum,

interesting question on the day.

The desert, to me, is the modern city. Currently a bustling nest of life, abundant with products derived from the energy fossil fuels. It will not become the desert at least until GW is re-elected :D Once the oil runs out & after the big war, people/businesses will move away from cities to avoid the remediation required to sustain life in such an environment, then the change to desert will occur.

Most cities will be devoid of life save insects and small mammals...perhaps birds. There may be the incidental "mad max" tribes/gangs of humans taking over the remaining structures.

A desert is characterized by the lack of precipitation, and this will most likely be caused by alterations to our atmosphere as a result of the big war. Combine the lack of precipitation with the all-but-non-existent green space and you have a desert. It will not be semi-solid in the future, but concrete.

I would expect people to live the lives of barbarians in ages past...killing for food and sex. It should be a great time i'm sure. I hope maybe you will imagine this next time you're in an urban area and wonder if this idea might be manifested.

As to my promised land, it has a title and that is Jannah.

wassalaam

AS

Asalamulaikum

when I think of desert, first thing that comes to mind is the sonoran desert in Tuscan, Arizona.....

02_05.jpg

Peace,

At first I admit I was like what's the point of this? But when I saw all these beautiful descriptions (from Muslims and non-Muslims both), I thought wow, for once we have a peaceful thread. :D This was... nice.

Edited by Muezza

Peace,

At first I admit I was like what's the point of this? But when I saw all these beautiful descriptions (from Muslims and non-Muslims both), I thought wow, for once we have a peaceful thread. :D This was... nice.

Peace be with you Muezza,

May God continue to bless you and bring you His peace. Amen.

It is important to have perspective, Muezza. To recognize the humanity within us all and to respect that we each come in our own traditions to the feet of our God humble, repentent and seeking His Grace.

Asalamu'alaikum Everyone,

The desert is the absence of all things, except Allah.

The Promised Land is the absence of all things, except Allah.

Wasalaam

Peace be upon you all,

The world's major religions (Judaism,Christianity and Islam) were born in this desert.

Our beloved prophet(pbuh) gave the hope of paradise for the people by showing the right path os Islam from a desert.When desert comes to my mind,the footprints of my prophet(pbuh) be seen there on the desert.He slept on palm leaves,travelled on camels,ate dates,drank camel milk to quench his thirst from this desert.His life was not a bed of roses in this desert.l feel very wondered when i imagine his life here.A man being the heart of millions of Muslims today,lost his father when he was in the womb of his mother,lost his mother when he was at the age of 6 grown up under the guardianship of his father's brother.He was the one who came to show the right path of Allah(swt).He walked from the desert to humanity,love and peace and so to paradise.

My promised land is Jannah(paradise) promised for true worshipers of Allah(swt).

Salaam

Hassan

Wasalaam

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

So there's no difference between a desert and the promised land? :D

Edited by Muezza

Wasalaam

Assalam-ul-Alaikum,

So there's no difference between a desert and the promised land? :D

Asalamu'alaikum Muezza,

When one is filled with the presence of Allah, sister, what part of one is left empty?

Wasalaam

Edited by little-mahdi

^^^It's interesting that you answer my question with a question. :D

Edited by Muezza

this is very excellent thread, and rather an unusual one, for it is peaceful and yet in Islamic-Western section :D

For me my desert does not reside with outer objects but in inner-self. Inner-peace is the essence of outer-peace and only with that can there be any chance of unity and love. And with love prevails happines and all the other emotions.

Having an inner state such as when one feels that every moment is but a dream and every dream is a fullfillment of an action, is the essence of my desert, and that can only come true if your lord is satisfied with you and vice versa.

Peace

Edited by Danish