Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shayrgob

A Sincere Question About Jihad

As-Salamu-Alaikum

Please let me begin by saying that I ask the following quesiton w/ sincerity and complete seriousness and I do not wish to make an attack against the religion of Islam; I do however wish to gain a better understanding and would love to learn. With that said, here is my question/concern:

The Quran, as we all know, says: There is no compulsion in religion. THis is a very famous and well known verse. There are many other ayahs in the Quran that transmit the same message and tell us that we should only fight those who fight us(eg: "And fight in the name of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress; verily, Allah loveth not transgressors" (2:190).

Well, that is all good but I know of a hadith which disturbs me PROFOUNDLY. This is what I wish to understand. The prophet (PBUH) said: "I have been commanded to fight the people till they testify that there is no God but Allah and that I am his messanger".

This basically contradicts the message of the Quran and I have a hard time understanding why he would say such a thing when the Quran CLEARLY says that forced conversion is unacceptable.

I look forward to your responses. thanks!

Edited by shayrgob

PropellerAds

:D

First of all, can you quote the exact hadith as it is not good to attribute anything to Rasool Allah :D that he did not say. May be the wordings are different, and carry a different import than the one you project. Please give the reference too.

It is true that there is no compulsion in religion, and the Qur'an also says that the responsibility to convert people's beliefs is not the responsibility of Rasool Allah :). He was only to convey the Message. Belief in Allah :D was only possible where Allah :D willed, and the person sincerely desired. Hence, the hadith, if correct, could be related to a specific instance. It prima facie goes against the Qur'an and against the character of Rasool Allah :D.

Wassalam

Assalamu Alaikum, To understand an Ayat of the Quraan you have to know the circumstances surrounding it, the time of it's revelation, etc. etc., and to understand a Hadith too, you have to see when it was said, what were the circumstances in which RasoolAllah Sallallahu alaihi Said it etc. etc. If we take just the words and play with them, then yes every person will come up with their own interpretations. Our knowledge is limited and often we become biased by what is said in the Media.

While researching I found this article JIHAD EXPLAINED By M. Amir Ali. Read the complete article to understand the true stance and meaning of the Ayat and the hadith you have quoted. InshaAllah I hope this will clear up your concern. Wassalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/worldupdates/newupdates10/id35.htm"]PLEASE CHECK THIS LINK:[/url]

We remind our members that discussing jihad is not allowed in IF. However, you may read about it in our 'Jihad & Misconceptions' forum, at: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=188"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=188[/url]