Islamic Forum
shahaadil

Islam in CANADA!!!

Asalamu alaikum

^^^^comparing Canada and Mucus?

well anyway.......Canada might not seem like the best place to be for some people but for some of us, its where we live, where we grew up and where our friends and family are and to be honest i wouldn't want to go anywhere else ( other than a muslim country).

aslaamalykum,

no im jus saying that youcant say that mucus is a wonderful creation of Allah, just same as niagra falls.........

wa alykum aslaam

PropellerAds

Asalamu alaikum

That would be great sis sunshinez........Now i don't need a plane ticket for y'alls meeting.

May is a good time, Won't be so cold then. Maybe rainy

Assalam-u-Alaikum

For me, Canada is definitely the right place to live in Alhamdulillah. We came here like 6.5 years ago. now we are settled (me and my parents and bro, sis) in Brampton which is near Mississauga. my university (university of toronto) is in mississauge so i have to take the bus there. i like the transit system but not on Sat. and Sundays when buses run every half an hour. :-(

I studied in a public school here and hence had a chance to meet people of different races and religions. i had a chance to observe their behaviour and ended up deciding that my lifestyle is indeed better. i already had Islamic education and studying with non muslims did not bother me that much. i mean sure there was some wrong stuff going on there but as long as i can fight back the temptation, i am A-OK right.

i think studying in a public school and not a private one has its own advantage. when i have kids, i plan to give them Islamic education plus put them in a public school so that they can learn to be more nice towards non-muslims. :-) that's how i started Dawa to non-muslims in the first place--by being nice.

i love the grocery stores here. the cashiers are like so tolerant towards muslims. then there are like tons of women only gyms. oh Heaven on Earth.

in university i attended the karate club. there were male instructors there as well. at that time i was not so sure whether the bow was ok or not. i told my sensai i am not ok with bowing and also not ok with sparring with males. i also told him that no guy must ever touch me. so how did he reacted to it. Mashallah. amazing. he said its ok if i don't bow and that i should ask my elders (refered to imams) about the karate bow. he also made sure that only Adriana (female instructor--black belt) teaches me and sparrs with me. and he would tell every guy not to touch me. :-) when he would teach me himself how to do the reverse punch, the upper and the side blocks etc. and the katas, he would always correct my hand location by pulling on the sleeve. that way he did not have to touch my arm. that was just cool. anyways. i stopped going to the club b/c after summer, many guys enrolled in the class. during summer there were a lot less guys and they all made a point of keeping to themselves b/c of my hijab. but when the guy population increased, i decided to leave b/c i figured it would be better to train in a girl-only gym. besides, my sensai had gone away and another new sensai had come. so see again so very tolerant people. oh forgot to tell you about Adriana. she was so very nice to me and gave me her full attention. she was so happy that she was teaching me and seemed impressed by my karate techniques. she was so sure i was going to do well. she boosted my morale like way high. Jazakallah.

and now the professors at University of Toronto. Again, very tolerant.

now let's move on to the cons of living in canada:

1-the financial institutes are based on interest and there is no Islamic bank here. booohoooo. i pray to Allah that an Islamic bank is established here in canada.

2-Racism.. Throughout my high school and college life i have met racist people. oh the nerve of these individuals. my conclusion: Racism is Ignorance.

once in my "Cell and Molecular biology" lab there was this girl my lab partner who completely ignored me throughout the lab. she would snatch the tube from my hand without acknowledging my existence as if i was her servant standing there with a tube in my hand so she can take it from me. here my lady here is the tube. God, the nerve of that girl. she would not talk to me at all. i was so very nice to her throughout her display of this racist behaviour. and then i kept thinking about how in the past peopel have been racist towareds me and then eventually, i exploded. in the lab i said to her loudly and menacingly: "Lady you have seen only one of my sides. Don't make me use the other side"

oh my God. i still laugh at what i said to her. upon hearing this she just gave me a look. and for some reason i got all mushy inside and felt bad for saying it to her. i mean really bad i felt. so in the next lab i tried to give her a gift so that we may be friends you know no heart feelings etc. but she refused the gift and at that time it struck me those who are racist to you sometimes its better to just leave them as they are.

3-Some educated immigrants do not get a well deserved job.

Overall, Canada is a cool place to be. its not that bad at all. They support you throughout education which is really good. and people are also very tolerant. but then there is a dark side to living in canada which comes with the package. and really the idea is to transform the dark into light with Allah's help.

so come to canada my friends. there are a lot of muslims here and don't let racism scare you away :-). about gay masjids--i don't think these should be called a masjid at all.

take care everybody

Assalamu alaikum

[

Overall, Canada is a cool place to be. its not that bad at all. They support you throughout education which is really good. and people are also very tolerant. but then there is a dark side to living in canada which comes with the package. and really the idea is to transform the dark into light with Allah's help.

so come to canada my friends. there are a lot of muslims here and don't let racism scare you away

Dear sister Atha,

Assalamo-alaikum

Thank you for inviting bothers and sisters to Canada. I'm trying for immigration to Canada. Can you please write some more details about dark side to living in Canada? What are the major problems a newly arrived Muslim immigrant has to face?

With best regards

:D

Asalamualaikum .. its like any other country i guess .. but better then US here .. people here dont really jump at you for practicing your religion but if its something theyre not use to seeing such as when my mom put on nikaab .. you get alot of wierd comments and stares .. no one really knows about Islam here much where i live (kitchener) ..

shah45, welcome to IF. :D I think you should make a seperate thread in General Chat(?) about your question as it's not about Islam in Canada.

Also, why are some people still going off topic? reminder: This section is called Islam in your country, not where I live (if it's just for the sake of mere chit chat), how the weather is,etc. those things can be discussed in seperate thread in General Chat.

:D :D

Edited by ummammaar

Asalamualaikum ..

o ya .. toronto's pretty populated with Muslims Mashallah (sp?).. over here near waterloo, kitchener i know of one Islamic school which is in cambridge but they only take kids up to grade 8 and its really expensive too .. thats one thing i dont like .. but i guess its not the school's fault for not having more grades coz parents take thier kids out of Islamic schools when they're out of grade 8 .. i dont get it .. highschool is more trouble .. somewhere near toronto though i heard there's a place called thorncliff and i heard that that place looks as if its a Muslim country .. havent been there much though ..

Assalaamu 'alaikom,

It depends where you are in Canada. Some places are kinda red-neck like, especially the suburbs and in the small towns far from the cities. But generally all the Muslims live in the large cities, the most populated of them being Toronto (where i live).

Toronto is very multicultural, perhaps the most multicultural city in the world due to such a large immigrant population. But its the multiculturalism that makes it a much better place for Muslims to live in than almost any other city in North America.

The Masjids cant make adhaan loud, alot of the immigrant muslims are near or under the poverity line and have difficulty in finding good jobs, and the muslim schools are not funded by the government, but alhamdulillah there are alot of masaajid, alot of Muslims, theres almost no racism or discrimination (due to it being so multicultural i guess), social aid and assistance is easily available for those muslim families in need, and not to mention its safer than living in the US.

Ofcourse this is all in regards to living in Toronto as opposed to other parts of Canada.

P.S.

For those living in Toronto and are looking for some beneficial classes to attend and benefit from, i encourage you to come by the QSS Canada Islamic Centre: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.qss(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/news.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.qss(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/news.html[/url] (some of you might not be aware of it since its a new Masjid).

The class schedule is as follows:

Friday - How do we Understand the Quraan (Kaifa Nafham al Quraan) - Shaikh Jameel Zeeno

Saturday - Explanation of 40 Hadeeth an-Nawawee (Sharh Arba'een an Nawawee) - Shaikh Abdul Muhsin al-'Abbad

Sunday - The Salaat and the Ruling on the one who Abandones it (As Salaat Hukmu Taarikuha) - Shaikhul Islaam Ibnul Qayyim

(All classes will be held from after Magrib to Isha.)

The brother who holds the classes basically goes through books in the classes, translating and expounding upon them in the lecture. After a couple months, a book is complete and he starts another book, so they are extremely beneficial maashaa Allah. If you need any more info, u can pm or email me.

wassalaamu 'alaikom

assalaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullah.

What are the PRACTICING (Allah-fearing) muslims doing about the gay "masjids" there? Sorry for asking so bluntly. I think we might have some in America too Allah forbid, but how did these people make a gay "masjid" in the first place?

Shaykh Saeed Rageah in Calgary, Alberta is really good. I heard the muslims there are very practicing. What other communities, scholars there are good?

i know of one gay "muslim's" student association. it's called al-faatihah or something like that. i don't know about any masaajid, but it's very possible that they've tried to establish one or two. may Allah guide them to repentance or punish severely them for their perversion.

as for brother sa'eed, he came by our centre not too long ago while visiting toronto. he said the da'wah there isn't so great. he mentioned that it's very tough calling people to the sunnah over there. calgary's a cowboy city... the situation in edmonton - from what i hear, wallahu a'lam - is a lot better. very large muslim population there.

are there muslims in montreal? sorry i don't like ontarians, a little too boastful of Canada...montreal's so pretty...do they speak english also or only french? Where's napanie???????????????????????????????????????

yeah, there are a lot of muslims in montreal. a lot of the arab population there are from places that speak french in their countries, like morocco and algeria.

the people in montreal generally speak both english and french, unlike quebec city where it's pretty much french only. and i don't know about ontario residents being a little too boastful, the quebeqouis are quite boastful and prideful themselves.

as for napani, that's a small town somewhere in eastern ontario. it's kind of close to ottawa, i think just south west of it or something like that.

I live in Canada, Ontario but born in South Africa, i think Canada has a lot of muslims here but in my school there is not one proper muslim atleast 3/4 of all muslims swear ,astaghfirullah. can anyone from the GTA tell me are they any Quraan classes anywhee

there are quran and arabic classes for sisters at the qss centre taught by a sister, located at pharmacy and lawrence. there's also another sister who frequents the centre who is a haafidhah of quran (she only knows it in riwaayah qaaloon though), she doesn't have a lot of time to teach, but my wife has asked her to teach her, and i'm sure that there are others that want her to teach as well. there are also the classes that take place from friday to sunday that hashi mentioned in his post. if you want more info, PM either me or hashi.

The city of mississuaga is the fastest growing city here. The 6th largest city in Canada. Also with some close to 350,000 muslims.. mind you the population of mississauga is 650,000 so do the math yourself that is a 53.8% majority we hold here ! ! ! !  :D

that number is kind of off. i'm not sure of the exact number, but 350,000 would be more like the total for the muslim population in the GTA (toronto and surrounding areas, including mississauga, brampton, markham, thornhill, richmondhill and others). mississauga is definitely not 53.8% muslim.

It depends where you are in Canada. Some places are kinda red-neck like, especially the suburbs and in the small towns far from the cities. But generally all the Muslims live in the large cities, the most populated of them being Toronto (where i live).

again, it really depends on the part of canada you're talking about. you'd be surprised at how many "small" towns and cities have large muslim populations. london, ontario for example, i'm told has a lot of muslims. calgary and edmonton aren't that large population-wise and they've got a ton there too.

Edited by rasheed gonzales

salaamu alaykum

Since i don't have permission to post in the "current events" section, i'll post it here for the brothers and sisters in Toronto, there will be insha'Allah a free lecture with Dawud Adib at the T.r.o.i.d. Center in Toronto from March 4-6 titled "al-Adab al-Mufrad of Imaam al-Bukhari" it should be very good. For more information like maps or times check out the link below.

"http://troid/centre/events/previous/aladabalmufard.pdf"]troid/centre/events/previou...dabalmufard.pdf[/url]

Well, right now i'm in South Africa, but i was born bred and married in Montreal, Canada, and i sure miss it!!! i lived in Toronto for two and a half years, and i use to study in the masjid on birchmont and sheppard, so i think i know your uncle the mufti Afghan Hijabi!!!

I would say that toronto is probably the easiest place to practice Islam in canada. i mean, in some places like thorncliff, it seems wierd to find a woman not wearing a hijab!!! not to mention that it's full of Desis.

Montreal is much more multicultural, and you'll find muslims from practically everywhere. there are lots of arabs there because of the french.

i really really miss the snow and can't wait to visit again!!!!

Edited by um-eesaa

Oh ok akhi rasheed. I know they have a lot of muslims. Ok so if some americana like myself were to move to Canada, which place would recommend the most in terms of how practicing most of the community is? I was considering Calgary when I had an offer. :D

I don't remember if anyone in this thread talked about Vancouver. There is a sister I know (cybersis if you will), she said that there is no masjid there. However, I believe I have come across links to two masajid there. One is Dar Al Madinah which seems to be very good. Aren't there muslims there? I'm not sure why she said what she did. Do the surrounding cities have good practicing population? or any masjid?

Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatulah

Here is an event that I found might intrest people in the Toronto area:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.isnacanada(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Convention/31/doc/Flyer.jpg"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.isnacanada(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Convention/31/doc/Flyer.jpg[/url]

i really really miss the snow and can't wait to visit again!!!!

really!!!! wow, lots of people actually complain about snow...Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatulah

Hi everyone. I live in Toronto, Canada and honestly there are many many muslims in my high school. The only thing is that sometimes Muslims forget who they are when living in a "free country".

Many Muslim girls these days forget all about their religion and have done crazy things. I am not only talking about them having boyfriends and such. Dating is no big deal here even though it is haram. Things that really concern me is how much they party, drink alcohol, try weed, have sex, where short skirts (change it in school) without their parents knowing.

Dont get me wrong here, there are many good Muslims in Canada but some Muslims just forget their identity. Unfortunately because of this, they don't fit in as Catholics or as Muslims.

No matter what, you should stick to who you really are and not forget your morals and beliefs. If you stick to Islam you will surely stay happy no matter what.

Sex before marriage is so haraam and can curse your marriage. Drinking alcohol and smoking is a sin. I dont know what these teen girls are thinking. All I know is that they don't understand the meaning of Islam and dont realize how much protection there is in our religion. I pitty these girls. I hope Allah shows them the correct path.

Being born a muslim and taking our religion for so much granted is really sad. A message to muslim teens like me in Canada: If your friends are following these bad paths of life, persuade them to change their ways or dont be their friends anymore.

Sadly, my friends arent perfect either so I dont want to be a hipocrit. You guys have to pray for me. Pray that I dont follow their path and that they realize that Islam is the truth and playing with their bodies will only make them stressed out and emotionally insecure!!!!!!

anyone going to the isna masjid in mississauga ?? lemme know i need a ride :D from the sq1 area..

i think canada is a beutiful place and yes i do think it is true that there is more freedom and more tolerence towards muslims, whilst in other places (mainly in the US) people do tend to jump at the sight of someone wearing a hijab..very sad.

inshallah i will dua for you sister CanadianPrincess, May Allah swt guide you and your friends and bring them on the right path. and May Allah swt protect you from the shaytaans deceptions. Ameen.

anyone going to the isna masjid in mississauga ?? lemme know i need a ride :D from the sq1 area..

lollz

you see a lot of hijabi mothers here dropping off their school kids early in the morning when i leave for work.. makes me mad they are slow drivers in their dum minivans but thats another story..

Asalamu Alaikum

Talking about Canada and hijabi mothers, I read somewhere you get a lot of sisters in niqaab driving around in modified Civics and stuff? Really?

Asalamu Alaikum

Talking about Canada and hijabi mothers, I read somewhere you get a lot of sisters in niqaab driving around in modified Civics and stuff? Really?

could be our neighbourhood.. its not typical of canada though :D..

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.anewlife.ca/index.php"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.anewlife.ca/index.php[/url]

Enjoy.....

Asalamu Alaikum

actually.......my aunts a niqaabi and she drives a civic.. B)

hehe...yeah Canada got niqaabi drivers..i used to go to school with one, she drove an accord...i used to call her speedy granny cause she went soooo fast LOL...

Alhamdu Lillah now in Montreal there are more niqaabis