Islamic Forum
Yusuf17

Reverting Soon, A Bit Of Q/a First ^^

Hey there, I pretty much portrayed my road to Islam on the welcome forum thingo-

Well as I said I'm Joseph, I'm 17 and I'm from Melbourne Australia, all my life I have been different, I have always been confused, angry and lost but around a year or so ago my christian doctor taught me about god and the bible (my parents are agnostic), I found it facinating, and I loved every bit of it, I went to church and I prayed and studied the bible but I always felt that something was missing, something that was missing from my heart, later on I was playing an online game called 'Warrock' you might have heard of it, you might not but basically it's a modern online first person shooter set in a fictional setting, well anyhow I was playing this game and I was competing against another player called 'jeehad' anyhow I forget how I got into an argument with him but I started insulting Islam and muslim culture, he seemed a bit hostile at first but then we got into an discussion about the bible, he was quoting many lines and portraying the many contradictions in the many gospels, everything he said was absolutely true, it was also funny because while we were talking we wern't actually playing the game, we were just standing around and getting shot, our team was getting angry at us both, but anyhow I was intrigued and I asked if he would like to talk on MSN, he accepted and over a period of time he was teaching me the Noble Quran, and showing me the true path, he told me about Muhammed the prophet (PBUH), and he taught me Islamic traditions and laws, and I was so in love with the ideas and beliefs of Islam, but I had the idea in the back of my mind "Will I fit into muslim society?" because I am a white anglo you see, so I was a bit nervous I would be different, but I knew the Quran teaches the union of all races, and my new found friend assured me that I would be welcomed with open arms, anyhow just recently I have bought the Quran and a prayer cap, I am waiting a little while before I declare shahada, maybe a month ^^, a month so I can perfect the art of salat, and learn a bit of arabic! (Also I know it's not mandatory but I have also decided to change my name to Yusuf as it is the arabic form of my name ^^)

Anyhow I have questions that I really want answered, it would be so great if you could help!

1. I have read that once I recite shahada I must shave the hair on my head, underarms and pubic area, and then bathe to purify myself and recieve circumcision as soon as possible is this true? I believe it to be but I just wanted to make sure! :D Anyhow if so must I recieve circumcision in a special way?

2. I have no Masjids in my area, nor anywhere around me, I live in outer Melbourne and I would really love to go to a Masjid to pray and learn more, but am unable to :D , I believe the nearest one to be in the city, which I would find hard to get to, can somebody help me on what to do in this situation!

3. Is the name Yusuf haraam? I assume it wouldn't be, it was the name of the prophet after all :D but it's always good to double check! but anyhow my christian name was Joseph Kay, but I was thinking of changing it to Yusuf Steven Kay, as Steven is my fathers name, and I am led to believe that muslim families name their children's last names after their fathers, or something along the lines of that :)

4. I would love to eat clean food but I know not of an Islamic Halal abattoir, what shall i do?

Anyhow I know this is not really a question/answer part of the forum but I would be so happy if someone could help me! :D

PropellerAds

Salam Yusuf :D

I am glad you are interested in Islam and would become a Muslim Insha Alla (God Willing).

For your questions, I don't really know the answer. Sorry Bro, it's better to wait for others :D

Wassalam,

Yasnov

:D Peace and blessing be upon you Dear Yusuf,

It's wonderful news and you seem so eager to please Allah Masha'Allah.

I will try to help best as i can with your questions but wait and ask another more knowledgable one than me.

As for taking the shahada why wait? You already know in your heart its true and Allah dosent expect you to be perfect muslim knowing everything about Islam and how to pray etc....What if you (Allah forbid) died tomorrow? You'd die a non believer and won't enter paradise. :D It's not something to wait to do if you know in your heart and mind and it's what you beleive then take shahada today, right now insha'Allah.

hmmmm as for shaving your head i never heard that before (only thought its done to babies after they are born) but for sure you have to have a shower to purify yourself, shaving other parts is better too and more hygenic.

Circumcision there is no special way but better to go see your doctor.

There are a few on here from Australia so maybe they can help you out with the masjids I'm sure theres one close to you insha'Allah.

As far as i know the only time you HAVE to change your name is if it has a bad meaning, Joseph is nice Yusuf is sooo nice masha'Allah there is nothing haraam about chosing and using that name it's surely beautiful name like the Prophet (PBUH).

As for where you can buy halal meat again ask the muslims that are living there insha'Allah they will help you. But do you have a muslim yellow pages there at all? If you can find something like a muslim directory for your area it would be so useful to you.

Best of wishes my Dear Little Brother and Welcome Welcome to Islam Be proud of who you are because we are all proud of your decison. Masha'Allah.

Edited by Tamarbutah

Salaam(peace) Yusuf,

Welcome Yusuf and im very glad to know that you are soo pleased to please Allaah(SWT). And the answer given to u by bro Tamarbutah was excellent.

And inshallaah you will learn everything.

Salam! and Thank you so much for the answers!

But I am still confused, as to wonder is circumcision mandatory?

How long may one's hair be?

Anyhow about the muslim yellow pages... I know nothing of the sort :D it's a sad fact that much of Australia is anti-islamic and frown upon converts, but I pray for them anyhow... but it would be so wonderful if I could get in contact with some Melbournian Muslims and talk of where they shop, eat and pray!

Also I am not 'very' knowledgable of salat, although I know a bit :D I've learnt a fair ammount from http Islamicfinder which is nice, but I'm very nervous and confused on how I would pray at school, as I learn 'VCE' in a TAFE (for those of you who don't understand VCE is the 'Victorian Certificate of Education, it's like the end of high school before university) I'm sure there are some muslims in my TAFE but I would love to know how and where they would go to prey, also how do I find the times of day for prayers? I'm sure there is a site out there :D

one last little thing (for this post anyway >_<) How do I find an Islamic solar calendar to gregorian calander conversion type of thing, I would love to participate in Ramadan! thanks alot and Salam!

Salam! and Thank you so much for the answers!

But I am still confused, as to wonder is circumcision mandatory?

Salaam

May Allah increasue u in guidance Aameen.

For a person who becomes muslim at a later age ,circumcision is not obligatory but recommended.

There is no specific limit to the length of your hair

Also I am not 'very' knowledgable of salat, although I know a bit :D I've learnt a fair ammount from http Islamicfinder which is nice, but I'm very nervous and confused on how I would pray at school, as I learn 'VCE' in a TAFE (for those of you who don't understand VCE is the 'Victorian Certificate of Education, it's like the end of high school before university) I'm sure there are some muslims in my TAFE but I would love to know how and where they would go to prey, also how do I find the times of day for prayers? I'm sure there is a site out there :D

one last little thing (for this post anyway >_<) How do I find an Islamic solar calendar to gregorian calander conversion type of thing, I would love to participate in Ramadan! thanks alot and Salam!

I pray that u find muslims close to you ..

Wassalam

Edited by al-malabari

Valla! yay I recited shahada! I went for a shower, shaved and purified myself, I am cleansed! ^_^ Insha Allah On to the future!

Valla! yay I recited shahada! I went for a shower, shaved and purified myself, I am cleansed! ^_^ Insha Allah On to the future!

Mashallah ...Allahu akbar...May Allah keep us firm on Islam

Oh, I live in Melbourne, Australia, which way do I prey and how do I know which way I prey if I am in different places?

:D

Takbir! Allahu akbar(Allah is the greatest!)

Congratulations brother welcome to Islam :D May Allah forever guide you, fill your heart with imaan and bless both you and your family.

Masha'Allah (all good is from Allah) you've just made my day(I've got this big smile on my face now). Allah has filled your hearth with Islam at such a young age and the Ummah (Islamic community) has gained a little brother :D Dont worry about approaching any Muslim that you know because they are more than happy to help you learn more about this beautiful way of life. Maybe one of the brothers that go college with you?

1) Here is a website for the convertion to the Islamic calendar:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.oriold.unizh.ch/static/hegira.html"]Islamic calendar[/url]

2)

For men it is supposed to be no longer than the shoulders.

3) The other Q's brothers and sisters from Australia could answer that if possible.

4) About halal food for the moment avoid meat except fish, all alcohol and anything that you think might contain them.

Oh, I live in Melbourne, Australia, which way do I prey and how do I know which way I prey if I am in different places?

Its best u ask a muslims close to u ..if u cant do that ..then try this site:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.qibla(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.qibla(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

Congratulations Joseph on taking the shahada, thats wonderful news. Welcome to Islam brother!

Regarding your questions, pretty soon you'll discover that in Islam there are obligatory things that every Muslim should do, and there are 'commended' things, that were not mentioned in the Quran, but the prophet Muhammed did it, and so Muslims like to do it. For the 'commended' things, you will be rewarded if you did them, but will not be punished if you didn't. circumcision is one of those commended things. You don't have to do it. There is nothing specific about shortening your hair. The prophet :D used to have his hair to his shoulder's length, but you can make it shorter by all means, although its not preferable to grow it longer.

Growing a beard is also a commended sunnah, up to fist's length, but again, you don't have to. You'll always meet strcit Muslims who consider everything to be obligatory, but thats only because they're strict Muslims.

Joseph, or Yusuf, both are fine. Actually, its not obligatory for a revert to change their name. There are several tools in (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfinder(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfinder(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] that should help you to: locate the nearest Masjid/Islamic center to your location, show you the direction of the ka'ba, where we should face during our prayers, and timetable of prayers in your locality. There are also Islamic calendars to help you with Islamic dates. For example, have a look here: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfinder(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/prayerDetail.php?country=australia&city=Melbourne&email=&start=0&home=2006-5-30&aversion=&athan="]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicfinder(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/prayerDetail....version=&athan=[/url]

(for Melbourne, today's times, May 30th, 2006)

Our forum here also can help you find which day is it in Islamic calednar. Find the date and day at the top left side of all pages, right under our logo. You can learn how to pray by watching a flash tutorial, and we have the link to that flash movie in our Q&A section, among other useful links.

Assalamo Alaikum!

Allaho Akbar! Allaho Akbar! Allaho AKbar!

Welcome brother, to Islam and to the Forum. May Allah :D reward you abundantly for the most important decision in your life, ie., the reversion to Islam, and may He make you a beacon for others.

On the Forum, you may ask as many questions as you can, Insha Allah, the learned brothers and sisters will be more than eager to provide you the answers.

Wassalam

Assalaamu'alaykum brother Yusuf!

Alhamdulillah!

Welcome to the family :D

Dear brother, I know someone in Melbourne who is more than willing to be of assistance to you. Insya Allah I will PM you his e-mail address.

Also, he has forwarded me a website, www.iisna(contact admin if its a beneficial link) perhaps you could have a look at that.

I will PM you right after I post this.

Alhamdulillah, once again. may Allah guide you and keep you holding tight to Allah's rope!

Wassalam,

Rayhana

Salam Brother Yusuf,

I thought I would wait for a month longer until you embrace Islam.

But Subhanallah you make it today.

Congratulation, Bro. :D

May Allah always help you when you need it and always give your strength and strong iman (faith)

Wassalam,

Yasnov

:D brother, and welcome to Islam! May Allah bless you and let you enter Paradise.

About meat, the food of the people of the book is halal. That means beef, chicken, fish, lamb, etc. except pork is ok to eat.

Qur'an 5:5 Surah Al-Ma'idah (The Table Spread)

"This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers but chaste women among the People of the Book revealed before your time when ye give them their due dowers and desire chastity not lewdness nor secret intrigues. If anyone rejects faith fruitless is his work and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good)."

Congratulations and Welcome to Islam Dear Brother :D May Allaah :D reward you well for choosing the true path.

Allahu Akbar...

SubhanAllah

may Allah :D bless you in both worlds and keep you on the straight path. ameen

Thats excellent news...

Al salam alaikum

Welcome to the Faith, brother Yusuf. Praise be to God the Greatest for granting you guidance.

In addition to all the great advice given to you by our members, I would strongly suggest you go easy with your Deen, one step at a time. Satan preys on new believers. Try to focus on the first pillar of Islam: Imaan. Strengthen your faith and move on to pillar #2: Salaat (Prayer).

Remember the Words of the Almighty. God does not burden a soul more than it is able to bear. Beware of surfing the Internet for Islamic information, only a mere few website are true in tradition. I recommend (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]www.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]. The site contains a Q & A section in case you wish to post a question to a Shaykh / Scholar.

May your Lord keep your foothold firm on His straight Path and ease your way to His Garden of eternity.

Wa' salaam,

Joseph

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Congratulations and welcome to the Truth Faith of Abraham and all the prophets.

Here I give you reminders in brief form. I hope these can help you.

DO NOT FORGET TO ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING:

1. That Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, is the Most Forgiving Most Merciful

2. That Allah is the Most Severe In Punishment

As Believers we balance fear and good expectations. If we have too much fear then it can lead to despair and you give up, but if we have too much good expectation then this can turn to indifference and heedlessness. Both need to be balanced

QUALITIES OF THE RIGHTEOUS (those who are safe from hellfire)

1. Suppressing Anger

2. Suppressing Desires

3. Suppressing Excessive Fear or Anguish

4. Suppressing Greed and Stinginess

QUESTIONING IN THE GRAVE:

The angels Munkar and Nakir will ask you the following questions:

1. Who is your Lord?

2. What is your Religion (way of life/deen)

3. Who is your Prophet

We are pleased with Allah as the Lord, and with Muhammad as the Messenger, and with Al-Islam as the Way of Life. If you have strong faith in this and live according to this faith then you may be granted to answer the questions with ease.

QUESTIONING ON THE DAY OF JUDGMENT BY THE CREATOR:

1. Your life - How did you use your life and your spare time?

2. Your knowledge - How did you use your knowledge?

3. Your money/wealth - How did you gain it and how did you spend it?

4. Your body/health - How did you use it?

SUPPLICATION TO Allah REMINDER:

When you supplicate/cry to Allah in times of ease, then Allah will help you in the times of hardship.

SHADE ON THE DAY OF JUDGMENT UNDER THE THRONE OF GOD:

Who will have shade on the day of judgment under the throne of God when there is no shade elsewhere, while the sun is burning over the heads of people?

1. The Just Ruler/Judge

2. The Youth who grows up without straying from the path until old age/death.

3. Those who Love to Pray in Congregation in the Masjid.

4. Those who Cry when reciting Qur'an and gain knowledge in seclusion.

5. Brothers and sisters who meet and depart only for the sake of Allah.

6. Those who give charity in secrecy if there in no need for encouragement

7. Those who are approached by a very beautiful woman who has authority over you and say "I fear Allah".

8. If someone owes you money, but this person is going through financial difficulties and you give him time to pay the amount due or you completely forgive the debt, then you will have shade on the day of judgment, Insha'Allah.

HOW TO BE A NEIGHBOR OF MUHAMMAD (SAW) IN PARADISE

1. Feed/Give charity the Poor/Homeless/Needy

2. Take care of orphans

WAYS TO GAIN THE HOUSES OF PARADISE:

1. BUILD A Masjid

2. FEED THE POOR, FASTING, SPEAKING GOOD WORDS, AND PRAYING AT NIGHT WHEN OTHER ARE ASLEEP

RULES GIVEN TO JOHN THE BAPTIST/MUHAMMAD TO TEACH THE PEOPLE:

Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, gave John the Baptist, Yahya, a certain set of rules which he should teach unto the people:

1. Nothing is worthy of worship except Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, and Belief in the Messengers/Prophets of God.

2. Praying

3. Fasting

4. Giving charity

5. Remembering Allah by supplications and invocations.

Muhammad adopted these rules and added five more rules for us:

1. Stick with the Congregation - Remember the Shaytaan/wolf attacks from the stray sheep/believer.

2. Listen and Obey - Just listen and obey when you hear and read a prohibition or an obligation. Why ask why always.

3. Hijrah - the earth is spacious. We do not have to stay in one place if there are other places where we can practice worship freely and openly. Immigration/emmigration from on part of the earth to the other (relocation) are necessary if you need it. If you cannot practice worship here then go there.

4. Jihad - It is obligated to strive for the sake of Allah, be it in from of self-control, enjoining good and forbidding evil, through the tongue, heart, and thoughts, or open physical battle.

5. No Tribalism, no nationalism allowed - Someone who raises the banners of tribalism, nationalism, racism etc. will be punished in hellfire.

REMINDERS:

1. Be in this world as a traveller

2. Learn about the afterlife, it will rock you life

3. The companions did not have the worldly life in their hearts but only in their hands, but the afterlife and meeting God Almighty was in their hearts.

4. We should suppress anger, desire, fear, and greed related to this dunia-life, but not related to the afterlife. If someone commits a sin then anger is not bad, because if a blind man is walking toward a pit then you would also raise your voice to stop him continuing walking. If we desire to meet with out Creator in peace then it is good desire. If we fear the punishment of God Almighty then it is good fear. If we are greedy concerning Paradise and building houses and property in Paradise then it is good greed.

5. Be grateful to God in times of ease and show patience in times of hardship.

6. After darkness follows light and after rain follows sunshine.

I hope that there are some information that might help you.

Salam

Greetings and Peace Brother Joseph/Yusuf,

Congratulations on finding the Right Way. The rest of your life will be spent trying to stay on the Right Path. It may not always be easy. God willing, you will do so by remaining sincere to the One God, Allah.

With regard to prayer times, I have found a program on (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muhaddith(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muhaddith(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url] which is free for download and which you can program with the exact map coordinates for your area to know the exact prayer times (or you can use the already set area/town/city you are in).

Islam is a lifetime of learning, so don't worry if you cannot get easy access to a masjid or Muslim community. Allah will send access to these as you go along. Just be aware that not all that Muslims do is necessarily Islamic. If you are not sure about anything in Islam, ask and do research. You will find many answers on this forum itself.

May Allah bless you.

Regards,

yusufar

First of all. If you are interested in embracing Islam. Say the Qalimah (Lailaha Illal-Lah-Muhammadur(*)-Rasool-Allah) to embrace Islam. In Islam it is kufr to delay someone from taking the Shahada.

It is perfectly Ok to have the name Yusuf. During the time of the Prophet (*), some of the converted Muslims had their names changed by the Prophet (*), since they had dangerous meanings.

Circumcision is compulsory in Islam according to most of the scholars. Imam Malik (may Allah (Subhanahuatalah) have mercy on his soul) had the opinion that it si sunnat.

There is a web site which incidently is designed by an Austrailian non-Muslim. It lists a lot of the benefits of circumcision. (www.)"http://circinfo"]ww.circinfo[/url]

(*)- May Allah :D raise his rank and protect his Ummah from what he fears for it the most.

Alsalaam Alaykum wa RahmatAllah wa barakatu My Dear little Brother,

Aw! Alhamdulilah! All praise to Allah the all mighty, the most generous and most kind, merciful and compassionate one.

It's wonderful news, I'm so happy Allah Akbar! Allah IS the Greatest ONE!

I know learning how to pray is not that good by reading from a book just by someone telling u how to do it, What you need is someone in person to show you and maybe you can write down all what you have to learn to say insha'Allah and when you pray each step you can read from the paper.

I know it will be hard at first but after you have done it a few times you will start to feel more comfortable with everything.

As you should know everything in Islam is about your intention so don't be scared if you get things wrong.

Also we are all here to support you insha'Allah.

Take Good Care, I'm soooooooo proud of you. :D

May Allah send you someone to help you with your deen and guide you to be the best of muslims.....Ameeeeen

Alsalaam alaykum Wa RahmatAllah,

Heey Lil Bro I know you have had alot of links to look at but I just came across this and thought it might be close to you, on this site you can add yourself to an email list, from there if you say your new to Islam etc.. I'm sure the community would offer you some help insha'Allah.

Being on a muslim email list that is in your area can be very valuable. Insha'Allah.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.icv.com.au/index.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.icv.com.au/index.shtml[/url]