Islamic Forum
anthony19832005

I Don't Mean To Interrupt Your Joy But....

I am also a big fan of the World Cup and football in general but I did research on IslamOnline and they have a fatwa that clearly says that watching any sport where men are wearing shorts is forbidden because men are always supposed to have pants over their ankles....so Football (among many other sports) is haraam.

Just so you know, as ive said im watching it too and i know its haram.

PropellerAds
The Prophet (may Allah bless him and his Household and grant them peace) has said, "All of my ummah will enter heaven except those who publicize [their sins], and publicizing includes a man doing a [sinful] deed by night, and then the next morning, although Allah has concealed his [sin], he says, 'Hey, so-and-so, last night I did such-and-such.' Alah kept him concealed by night, but in the morning [the man] has lifted off Allah's covering." [Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim]

So I think this new World Cup section also appears to be haraam because we publicize our sins (watching the WC) here.

Peace

:D

What is considered for men to cover is from the navel to the knee not the ankles. If the shorts are below the knees they are fine.

man you have some funny views on Islam.. i dont know where you take your deen from?!

football is not haram!

Ruling on wearing shorts when playing sports

3/28/2004 8:22:00 AM GMT

I play basketball, so I wear shorts when practicing and when playing in matches. Is this haraam?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Playing sport is permissible if that does not distract one from something that is obligatory. If it distracts you from something that is obligatory then it becomes haraam, and if it becomes a person’s way of life so that it takes up most of his time, then it is a waste of time, and in this case at the very least it is makrooh.

With regard to playing sport wearing only shorts which show the thighs or most of them, this is not permissible. The correct view is that young men must cover their thighs, and it is not permissible to watch players when they have their thighs uncovered in this manner.

Anthony I think you need to study the deen more instead of hanging around the political sections. Find out yourself what a man's awra is...and look for inspiring things about our deen.

You seem to always be condeming us, as a new muslim what gives you that right?

Although the tv has its great features, the tv camera does not concentrate on the players thighs, if they show them or not. i have never even watched a footy match and seen their thigh, not that i want to!

anyways, you seem to be so sure here that its haram, yet you are asking a simular question in (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30389"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30389[/url]

(www.)"memritv/Transcript.asp?P1=1162"]memritv/Transcript.asp?P1=1162[/url]

Behold the dangers of watching the world cup......

Anthony I think you need to study the deen more instead of hanging around the political sections. Find out yourself what a man's awra is...and look for inspiring things about our deen.

Wow, thx for the kind words sister.

As the IslamOnline(contact admin if its a beneficial link) Fatwa I have posted, the outfits football players (and basketball) wear are haram, because the men have their thighs exposed a lot of the time, so watching that is also haram is it not?

Now, i am NOT CRITICISING ANYONE, but I realised most people are under the impression that watching the world cup is perfectly OK, which it obviously isen't. And there are some people here which seem to conveniently ignore or refuse to aknowledge this fact, and try to make up excuses. Don't be so defensive, I posted the fatwa, if you disagree with it it's your problem not mine, plz dont be angry at me for seeking knowledge, which is totally Islamic.

I guess if im a "new muslim" I should be quiet and shut up and not speak the truth because it upsets the majority.

Allah Knows Best, Peace!

Edited by anthony19832005

I see why people would be offended if an athlete is scantily clad but have any of you ever watched the world cup? Come on, give me a break...

(www.)"http://upkb"]upkb[/url]

Salaam

antony maks a valid point here and it is his right to condemn whatever he feels... wether he is a muslim or not....

however Saudi Cleric Nasser bin Sliman Al-Omar makes a point about the day of judgement... what will we answer to Allah?

I have to agree with anthony here. :D ya akhi for reminding us. May Allah reward you.

Sister, there is no need to speak in such a manner. Subhan'Allah, for all we know 'new muslims' may be a thousand times more knowledgeable then us!

We are all getting defensive cos we want to watch it, but remember that if you give up something for the sake of Allah, He will replace it with something better!

It's gonna be hard, but i'm gonna stay away from the tv :D

Excuse me.. I make observations of some of the people here and as for me being defensive well personally I think I gave anthony some good advice. Are we not meant to use wisdom when we tell others whats haram or not?

I don't care for football at all but why point something out to others and choose to still do it yourself?

On my T.V. watching the people kick the ball back and forth I can't even SEE their thighs. Maybe they look like a little speck, but thats about it. Thighs aren't bad because they are thighs, they are bad because if someone is overly revealing then it could lead to people being tempted or distracted from their lives. I honestly doubt images of the world cup could do that.

as salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh dear sister Tamarbutah,

It doesn't matter if Anthony is a new Muslim or not. The minute he took shahada he became a full Muslim. Masha'Allah he's trying to seek knowledge and abstain from doing haram, which is a sign of sincerity. He said he watches the World Cup, but he clearly doesn't feel right doing it. Maybe in his heart he is searching for the strength to give something up for the sake of Allah. I think that makes him a darn good "new Muslim," masha'Allah.

Believe me Sis we should be thanking him for sharing this info with us. Personally though, I sort of tend to agree with Br. Pete. Yet it doesn't matter what I think because the bottom line is this hadith:

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When something disturbs (the peace of) your heart, give it up. [Ahmad]

Yes, me and Anthony have discussed this. :D for making this thread Brother, in the World Cup section as well.

When I was given fatwas that either said that it was halal or that it wasn't expressely forbidden but a waste of time (while mentioning various evils, such as sinful clothing).

Though we can put 2 and 2 together.

Men wearing shorts that are above or on the knee (not below) and move up and expose their thighs when running+watching this=haraam for all intesive purposes correct?

When watching it would be natural to feel nervous or agitated or troubled. We (males in this case) are forbidden to look at another mans 'awrah (from the navel to the knee), so what do you do in the World Cup when the men are running around showing their knees and thighs?!?

Yes the men are smaller when the camera pans out to the field, but what do you do when the instantly zoom in closer? Turn your head away fast and turn back? This is not logical or efficient.

Let us not insult Anthony either, for all he is trying to do is inform, with Fatwa's to back himself. Now, there may be fatwas that allow this, but we must use our basic logic, when the fatwa does not even mention the clothing, something is up.

May Allah Forgive me for anything I have said wrong. Ameen.

Edited by Sallahudeen

I think it is good advice given to us by the brother. Just because we love watching the footie dont mean we shouldnt appreciate when given advice by our muslim brothers/sisters. It is also a good point that we shouldnt spread it around if/when we committ sins.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.memritv(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Transcript.asp?P1=1162"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.memritv(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Transcript.asp?P1=1162[/url]

Behold the dangers of watching the world cup......

that argument is kind of twisted because Saudi Cleric Nasser bin Sliman Al-Omar says People Who Watch the World Cup Will Have to Answer on Judgment Day

and Saudi are in the world cup, or they do at least play football.

so playing football is allowed whilst watching is haram?

Assalamu alaikum, Playing FootBall is one thing and watching it is another. I am not interested in footBall, and so I have no idea how the players dress or anything about it. I hope the Muslim countries playing have shorts that cover their Knees, because Muslim Men are supposed to cover their Awrah. It is not obligatory for Non Muslim men.

If a Muslim Man or woman while carrying on with their daily routine come across someone wearing shorts (a man or woman) they cannot help it, they have to protect their eyes from looking at haraam. Same rule applies to watching game or any other TV show or Movie or Any Real life situation.

man you have some funny views on Islam.. i dont know where you take your deen from?!

football is not haram!

FootBall is not haraam, But according to the Fatwa, if someone is so immersed in the game that they are just glued to the TV or Radio and missing on things that need to be done, not just Salaat (which should not be missed, Period) but other duties too, is wrong. If you read the Fatwa seriously, then you will see that what is being said is what is better for us according to Quran and Sunnah.

I can see that Br. Anthony has been very passionate concerning this matter, Take it at face value and respect him for what he is saying. I would also tell him, Br. Anthony, your heart is your First Mufti if it is telling you that it does not seem right to do something, then just avoid it, inshaAllah Allah will bless you and reward you, because that will be your Taqwa. You have said what you have to say, now leave it to the others what they want to do, inshaAllah, your duty is done.

lastly I agree with Sis. Haqqul_Yaqeen, I can tell you for a fact that I have found My Allah through my friends who were new converts here in Canada. I learnt about Covering my Awrah properly from them, and I make duaa for them ever time I lift my hands for duaa.

May Allah guide us all on the right Path and keep us on the right path until our last breath, ameen.

Assalamu alaikum, umahmad.

wouldnt it be hraam if you were actually looking at the thighs....if u looked by accident then that another thing, but if you are watching football just for the sake of watching a good game then whats wrong with it?

also everything we do will be questionned, not just by watching the world cup, hey did you know that you will be questionned by using the internet? on this site?

etc...

Assalamu Alaikum, Br. dead man walking, Yes we will be answerable for all the things we do, and Yes we will be answerable for wasting our time. I would like to know why you brought the Internet in this discussion, because that's not the topic. But since you brought it up, the Scholars of Islam say that Where Television, Internet and other new communication gadgets (I am unable to find the right word) are concerned, what is Halal in them is Halal and what is Haram in them is Haram, and for something that is neither Halal nor Haram, ask you heart and it will tell you what is good for you.

abu ubaydah, it would be wrong for sure if someone is watching a game just to look at the thighs, But I am sure that people watch any game for the game. There might be exceptions, as in everything.

Please check my previous post and you will understand what I mean.

Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Asalam Alaikom warhmatullah wbaraktuh

I am with anthony on this good work Barak Allahu feek !

Fe Aman Ellah