Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SolidSnake

Downloading...

Asalamu Alaikum bros/sis'

I haven't posted in like a year so insallah i can get back in the posting mood. Anyway I wondering what is your opinion on downloading Islamic lectures/videos from certain sites that post them or share them like sunnitorrents that even post things that you would normally have to pay for. I get the excuse, Knowledge is free, indeed it is, but if we look at the past people spent money (traveling, tutors) to gain knowledge so should we just boldy say it is ok for us to rip-off muslim organizations that are getting worse because they don't have the fund to continue Islamic programs because people just download their previous ones without paying. I'm not trying to bash, I mean if I find out it truly is ok, I would love to download these things for free.

PropellerAds

hmm interesting question... the scholars whose lectures are online are very famous like hamza yusuf, etc. they have dedicated big portions of their life to gain knowledge and serve the ummah... so i am not sure how much they would miss living like a high roller$$, they are also being elevated in Allah's sight for helping out the ummah through lectures and literary works. but i guess if they explicityly mention not to download their works, you should stay away. hope that helps. peace.

In myt opinion, Downlaoding shouldn't be a problem because even though sharing cuts in on the profits, I am sure they make enough profit to cover the costs. Besides, this allows poor people to get in on the knowledge and those who can afford to still can donate .

peace

:D

If you have doubts, you can email the publisher and explain "lecture xyz" is being shared at "<site_name>", do you have a problem with me downloading it?