Islamic Forum
baybelove

Helpppp.. Convert?

the man i am with is a muslim. we often talk about religion and i have been recently researching about it and everything.

honestly, i couldnt say anything bad about Islam from what i hav heard from my boy, or many of the sites that i have read.

but, the only thing stopping me is the treatment of women. i know that generally thats a cultural thing, and it was never an issue for me in becoming muslim but recently i have read quite alot of articles etc that claim to have been using verses from the Qu'ran that were degrading about women. i dont completely believe it, but i still have my doubts now, only because many articles and so on used the same 'verses'.

theres no truths to that is there?? that the Qu'ran degrades women?

other than that, its a beautifulllllllllll religion.

PropellerAds
the man i am with is a muslim. we often talk about religion and i have been recently researching about it and everything.

honestly, i couldnt say anything bad about Islam from what i hav heard from my boy, or many of the sites that i have read.

but, the only thing stopping me is the treatment of women. i know that generally thats a cultural thing, and it was never an issue for me in becoming muslim but recently i have read quite alot of articles etc that claim to have been using verses from the Qu'ran that were degrading about women. i dont completely believe it, but i still have my doubts now, only because many articles and so on used the same 'verses'.

theres no truths to that is there?? that the Qu'ran degrades women?

other than that, its a beautifulllllllllll religion.

not wanting to offend ANYONE at all. and really am sorry if i do. but here are some of the 'verses' i read. it is posible they have only written part of wat is said, i have no idea. obviously they are translated and everything but here are a couple. they are completely false arent they?

"Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."

Allah said, 'It is My obligation to make Eve bleed once every month as she made this tree bleed. I must also make Eve stupid, although I created her intelligent.' Because Allah afflicted Eve, all of the women of this world menstruate and are stupid."

"The Prophet said: 'I was shown the Hell Fire and the majority of its dwellers were women who are disbelievers or ungrateful.' When asked what they were ungrateful for, the Prophet answered, 'All the favors done for them by their husbands.'"

"'O womenfolk, you should ask for forgiveness for I saw you in bulk amongst the dwellers of Hell.' A wise lady said: Why is it, Allah's Apostle, that women comprise the bulk of the inhabitants of Hell? The Prophet observed: 'You curse too much and are ungrateful to your spouses. You lack common sense, fail in religion and rob the wisdom of the wise.' Upon this the woman remarked: What is wrong with our common sense? The Prophet replied, 'Your lack of common sense can be determined from the fact that the evidence of two women is equal to one man. That is a proof.'"

When we reached Khaybar, Muhammad said that Allah had enabled him to conquer them. It was then that the beauty of Safiyah was described to him. Her husband had been killed, so Allah's Apostle selected her for himself. He took her along with him till we reached a place called Sad where her menses were over and he took her for his wife, consummating his marriage to her, and forcing her to wear the veil.'"

"Tell the men with you who have wives: never trust a woman."

Peace

The Prophet (pbuh) said: ‘The believers who have the best manners are those who have the most perfect faith. The best amongst you are the best towards their wives.’ (Tirmidhi)

Peace, If some unfortunate man who calls himself a Muslim does not understand what Islam requires him to do, then it is his fault, for he has not understood WHAT A MUSLIM SHOULD BE, same goes for women too.

I have posted a small part of the Articles in quotes, please read the complete atrticle to get the whole message. It is very common, that people take a part of the Verse of the Qur'aan or the Hadith and try to show that in Islaam Woman are treated bad. When you check the links please check the other articles there too in your spare time to learn more about Islam. Thanks for trying to verify the misconceptions, May Allah open up your heart towards the True Islam, ameen.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetal-inaam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/library/mhusbands.htm"]Responsibilities of a Muslim Husband.[/url]

Another responsibility of the Muslim husband is to assist his wife in obeying the commands of Allah. If she should transgress the limits of Allah, then it becomes his duty to advise her, admonish her and actually physically prevent her from doing so. However, it is the right of the wife that this admonishment be coupled with kindness and mercy. As Allah says, "And [it was] by the Mercy of Allah, [that] you dealt gently with them. And had you been severe and harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you; so overlook their faults, ask that [Allah's] forgiveness be granted to them and consult with them in [the] affairs of the moment." [3:159]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetal-inaam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/library/marital/awife.htm"]Muslim Wife:[/url]

"And among His signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves that you may dwell in tranquillity with them and He has put love and mercy between your hearts: verily in that are signs for those who reflect." (Surah Al Rum 30:21)

______________--

Below are a few details about the marriage of RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam to Safiyyah RadiAllahu Anha, check them out, it might clear up some of your misconceptions.

The Prophet's Marriage to Safiyyah and It's Wisdom

As for the accusation that Safiyyah was coerced into marriage or taken advantage of, as alleged by a known Islamophobic, this claim has no basis at all. It is known that Safiyyah® remained loyal to the Prophet until he passed away. (An account of how Safiyyah's loyalty was affirmed by the Prophet(P) himself is recorded in Muhammad Husayn Haykal, op. cit., p. 374, of which an online document can be found, Cited in (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/articles/umm-ul-mukminin-safiyyah-the-jewish-wife-of-muhammadp)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/a...e-of-muhammadp)[/url]

We have in fact the Prophet(P) making the following offer to her, as recorded by Martin Lings:

He [the Prophet Muhammad - Ed.] then told Safiyyah that he was prepared to set her free, and he offered her the choice between remaining a Jewess and returning to her people or entering Islam and becoming his wife. "I choose God and His Messenger," she said; and they were married at the first halt on the homeward march. (Martin Lings, Muhammad: His Life Based On The Earliest Sources (George Allen & Unwin, 1983), p. 269, Cited in (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/articles/umm-ul-mukminin-safiyyah-the-jewish-wife-of-muhammadp)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/a...e-of-muhammadp)[/url]

The marriage to Safiyyah® has a political significance as well, as it helps to reduce hostilities and cement alliances. John L. Esposito notes that

As was customary for Arab chiefs, many were political marriages to cement alliances. Others were marriages to the widows of his companions who had fallen in combat and were in need of protection. (John L. Esposito, Islam: The Straight Path, pp. 19-20, Cited in (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/articles/umm-ul-mukminin-safiyyah-the-jewish-wife-of-muhammadp)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/a...e-of-muhammadp)[/url]

This significant act of marrying Safiyyah® was indeed a great honour for her, for this not only preserved her dignity, it also prevented her from becoming a slave. Haykal notes that:

The Prophet granted her freedom and then married her, following the examples of great conquerors who married the daughters and wives of the kings whom they had conquered, partly in order to alleviate their tragedy and partly to preserve their dignity. (Muhammad Husayn Haykal, The Life of Muhammad (North American Trust Publications, 1976), p. 373, Cited in (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/articles/umm-ul-mukminin-safiyyah-the-jewish-wife-of-muhammadp)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbismikaallahuma(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php/a...e-of-muhammadp)[/url]

With marrying Safiyyah, the Prophet aimed at ending the enmity and hostility adopted by the Jews against him and against Islam, all the way long, but alas they went on with their hatred for Islam and for the Prophet simply because it was their natural disposition to be malicious and stubborn. ( See Muhammad M. as-Sawwaf, Zawjat ar-Rasul at-Tahirat wa Hikmat T'adudihinn, pp. 76-79, Cited in Muhammad Fathi Mus'ad, The Wives of the Prophet Muhammad: Their Strives and Their Lives, p.168)

Peace :sl:

Islam doesn't degrade women at all.In fact it gives them a special position.Lets take the role of a Mother for instance.

And the paradise is under the feet of your mothers. - Prophet Muhammad (saw)

In Islam we are told to love our mothers.Mothers give their child immense love and care from when the child is in her womb throughout the child's life.

We can never repay our mothers for the love and friendship they have given us.Being really close to my Mother I can truely say she has been the foundation of my life.She is my best friend and I'm grateful for everything she has done.

Islam has greatly emphasized the issue of loving and respecting the parents, the father and the mother. In our infancy and childhood, we needed the protection, love and nurturing of the parents; but when they become old, they need us to protect them and take care of them.

"Your Lord has commanded that you shall not worship (anyone) but Him and to be good to the parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say not to them (so much as) 'Ugh' nor chide them, and speak to them a generous word. And lower for them 'the wings of humility' out of mercy; and pray; 'O my Lord! Have mercy on them as they brought me up (when I was) little.'" (17:23-24)

However, out of the two, the mother has been given greater priority as far as kindness is concerned. Once Hakim bin Hizam came to the Prophet of Islam and asked: "To whom should I be kind?" The Prophet replied, "Your mother." Hakim asked, "Then to whom?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." Hakim asked, "Then to whom?" The Prophet replied, "Your mother." Only when Hakim asked the fourth time that, "Then to whom?" the Prophet replied, "Your father." This shows that the right of mother upon the children is three times more than the rights of father as far as kindness is concerned.

Imam Ali bin Hussain, the great-grandson of the Prophet, said: "Coming to the rights of relatives, it is the right of your mother that you should appreciate that she carried you [in her womb] as nobody carries anybody, and fed you the fruits of her heart which nobody feeds anybody, and protected you [during pregnancy] with her ears, hands, legs, hair, limbs, [in short] with her whole being, gladly, cheerfully and carefully; suffering patiently all the worries, pains, difficulties and sorrows [of pregnancy], till the hand of God removed you from her and brought you into this world."

"Then she was most happy feeding you, even if she herself had no clothes; giving you milk and water; not caring for her own thirst; keeping you in the shade, even if she had to suffer from the heat of the sun; giving you every comfort with her own hardship; lulling you to sleep while keeping herself awake."

"And [remember that] her womb was your abode, and her lap your refuge, and her breast your feeder, and her whole existence your protection; it was she, not you, who was braving the heat and cold of this world for your safety."

"Therefore, you must remain thankful to her accordingly, and you cannot do so except by the help and assistance from Allah." (The Charter of Right, p.18)

Women are a jewel to the world and play various roles in their lives.She is a daugther,a friend,a wife,a mother and so much more.

Hope that helps a bit. :sl:

Peace

Most if not all of those quotes are from a well known anti Muslim site that spreads lies and hatred about Islam, please stay away from that site.

ce' post='752982' date='Jun 6 2008, 08:35 AM']Most if not all of those quotes are from a well known anti Muslim site that spreads lies and hatred about Islam, please stay away from that site.

Salaam (Peace)

I agree with this brother/sister, when I had read your topic along with the false information you got from whichever misleading website you visited, I was utterly shocked! I said "WHAT!!!!" You've got to understand that Islam doesn't degrade women at all! Those "so-called-verses" are not verses from the Qur'an at all!, as far as I know. It's good that you rechecked with Muslims, because a lot of modern-day people have hatred desires for Islam, and media may be one of these causes. So from now on, if you have any doubts, please do recheck with Muslims before jumping to misleading conclusions. May Allah (God) guide you. :sl: