Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
reincarnated

The 99 Names Of Allah ?

I was looking for the meaning of one of the names of Allah “As-salaamâ€, and I remarked that it was said on Wikipedia (not a very good source for information) that the list which contains those names was compiled by Al Waleed ibn Muslim. So I’m wondering if this is true, and I’m also interested in learning how the compilation was done. I also hope that someone will be kind enough to explain to me what it means when we say that God is As-salaam.

Peace.

PropellerAds

I have found a book called “The best means in explaining Allah's Beautiful Names by Imam Ghazali†which seems to explain the issue in question, for those who are interested in reading it, you can find it here:

you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetghazali(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/books/Ghazali-99-Name-of-God.pdf

let me just paraphrase a paragraph from this book: it’s both true for a person to say that I know only God and I don’t know God, it’s true to say that I don’t know God because

One of the qualities of God is “Al Quddus (the most holy one)†which means the one who is above every description which human perception could apprehend, the imagination could grasp, the fancy could reach, the innermost consciousness could pervade and thereby have an understanding of Him, or the reflection could determine. I do not merely say that He is free of faults and deficiencies, for the mention of this would be akin to a breach of propriety. Certainly it is not a part of propriety for one to speak of the king of a country and say, "He is not a weaver," or “he is not a cupperâ€. For to deny the existence of an object in one sense of the word almost suggests that object exist and together with that suggestion there is a deficiency.

I would rather say that the Most Holy One is totally free from all of the characteristics of perfection as the majority of people commonly understand this concept. This is the case since man normally looks to himself, first of all, in order to become acquainted with his own characteristics and thereby realizes that only some of them are perfect. The perfection he sees is related to his knowledge, power, hearing, seeing, speech, will and choice. In conjunction with these faculties he applies the term, saying that these are the names of perfection.

But this self-inspection also reveals areas of imperfection in respect of his ignorance, incapacity, blindness, deafness and dumbness, and vis-a-vis these faculties he applies the term imperfection. The aim of his praise and characterization of God Most High is that he might portray Him in terms of the qualities of his own perfection, such as his knowledge, power, hearing, sight and speech, though at the same time he withholds from Him the characteristics of his imperfections.

But God Most High is completely free from characterization in terms of man's perfection, even as He is free from characterization in terms of man’s imperfections. God Most High is free from and exalted above every attribute that one could possibly ascribe to man, and above everything resembling them. Unless there is special permission to use (names) and it is proper (to do so), the majority of these attributes cannot be ascribed to God Most High.

And it’s true to say that I know only God, because everything in the existence is the work of god, so when a person understand this, he will understand that whatever language, script, sight, science …, is only a creation of god , hence he will only be contemplating his lights.

Finally there’s a hadith which states: ponder over God creation, and not ponder over his self because you will not justly estimate him.

Hi

These two topics may be of interest:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=24279"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=24279[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=5242"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=5242[/url]