Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anthony19832005

Muslims Speaking Out Against Extremists.

I made this thread to counter some people's arguments that we muslims aren't doing anything to speak out against extremists and terrorists of our own.

here is just one example of people speaking out against the Radical U.K. Preacher Abu Hamza, recently jailed for incitement of hate and murder.

Source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4671128.stm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4671128.stm[/url]

Abu Hamza was known as Mustafa Kamel Mustafa when he moved to Brighton and started a degree in civil engineering at the local polytechnic in 1986.

He went to the local Masjid and asked the imam whether he could stay there and help with chores in return for a small amount of rent.

Imam Sajid was in charge at the time.

"He was a good looking man, well built and very polite but he had no understanding whatsoever of Islam," he said.

Radicalisation

Abu Hamza continued with his studies but Imam Sajid noticed a sudden change in the student after he started mixing with Algerians at the Masjid. They were part of a movement which wanted an Islamic state back home.

"Hamza would listen to the Algerians and was influenced by them. He started a study circle involving up to 10 other people and we started getting complaints about his extreme views," he said.

This, according to the imam, was when Abu Hamza's radicalisation took place.

"Hamza started to get very aggressive and he would say that Islam is superior and he would never accept man-made laws.

"I predicted that he would end up on a battlefield. I was so worried I even wrote to the police warning them about this man but nothing was done," said Imam Sajid.Imam Sajid says Abu Hamza has given Islam a bad name, and is, in his view, a prophet of doom.

Stop saying Muslims don;t stand up to extremists, and lets not forget the hundreds of thousands of People Protesting against the 9/11 Attacks In Tehran in 2001.

Please wake up and realise that terrorism is a global issue requiring all sides to stand up to extremists. But here's my opinion.... westerners also have to stand up and stop Democratically-Elected State Sponsored Terrorism

Peace

PropellerAds
I made this thread to counter some people's arguments that we muslims aren't doing anything to speak out against extremists and terrorists of our own.

Well my arguement isn't that there aren't any muslims that condemn terrorist actions, it's that they seem to be part of the minority. Also most of the muslims that speak out against terrorism have had their lives heavily influenced by western way of life and liberal ideologies i.e. they live in the west or europe etc. I'd be impressed if something came out of say Egypt or Iran that is againt terrorist actions and not just bsing to maintain public face.

westerners also have to stand up and stop Democratically-Elected State Sponsored Terrorism

I couldn't agree with you more, sometime I think to myself "what the hell is wrong with those americans?" It's now become acceptable to let bush run wild stomping all over the freedoms americans used to have, the corporations have gotten into politics and heavily influence government cash flows, the medical industry is geared towards profit so they produce treatments and not cures, the elections were rigged twice and nobody gives a flying ****.

America was great a while back but now it's a terrible s**thole. I'm glad I don't live there :D . That country's due for a revolution.

salaam.

you might have missed a part that might answer your question about protests in the muslim world.

lets not forget the hundreds of thousands of People Protesting against the 9/11 Attacks In Tehran in 2001.

And I believe there was a recent poll around the world and a large percentage of muslims in muslim countries (over 50%) in Nigeria show strong support for Al-Qaeda. This is because muslims the world over feel humiliated and feel that there is a global war against Islam and muslims, and they simply dont care that Uncle Osama is killing american babies since they feel it's only right as revenge for the muslim children being killed in palestine, iraq, etc. Offcourse this killing of innocents is forbidden in Islam.

:-) Peace

Salaam,

I'm just wondering how will speaking out stop extremists from doing what they do? Heck, there are white christians who don't like the KKK, do you think that stops them?

Imperial1

Salaam,

I'm just wondering how will speaking out stop extremists from doing what they do? Heck, there are white christians who don't like the KKK, do you think that stops them?

Imperial1

umm....the kkk is quite dead, it has become the but end of many jokes as well as a symbol of lack education and tolerance.

Anthoy, there is a huge difference between hundreds of thousands and 50% oif a whole country dont you think? Personally I see Islam and strict adherence to it - particularily the bit about no war on fellow muslims - as the fuel for the fire of extremism.

Edited by 3dshocker

:D

Well my arguement isn't that there aren't any muslims that condemn terrorist actions, it's that they seem to be part of the minority. Also most of the muslims that speak out against terrorism have had their lives heavily influenced by western way of life and liberal ideologies i.e. they live in the west or europe etc. I'd be impressed if something came out of say Egypt or Iran that is againt terrorist actions and not just bsing to maintain public face.

i agree with anthony's claim that muslims are speaking out against terrorism everywhere--in america, europe andn asia. it is not confined to the muslims of the western nations because opposition to terrorism is not dictated by liberal ideology but by human instinct--most humans hate killing and bloodshed.

salaam.

And I believe there was a recent poll around the world and a large percentage of muslims in muslim countries (over 50%) in Nigeria show strong support for Al-Qaeda. This is because muslims the world over feel humiliated and feel that there is a global war against Islam and muslims, and they simply dont care that Uncle Osama is killing american babies since they feel it's only right as revenge for the muslim children being killed in palestine, iraq, etc. Offcourse this killing of innocents is forbidden in Islam.

:-) Peace

i am not exactly sure what you are saying. 50 percent in Nigeria support al-qaeda or 50 percent of the muslims around the world. if it is the later, i seriously doubt a large percentage of the muslim world would support an extreme al-qaeda view because it attacks and kills many muslims of different nations. muslims seriously hate al-qaeda.

i posted this (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muhajabah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/otherscondemn.php"]link[/url] in other posts too

umm....the kkk is quite dead, it has become the but end of many jokes as well as a symbol of lack education and tolerance.

60 minutes was saying that white-supermacist groups are on the rise in america...

Personally I see Islam and strict adherence to it - particularily the bit about no war on fellow muslims - as the fuel for the fire of extremism.

lol, muslim nations have been fighting against other muslim nations for the longest time, just like other nations have been fighting each other...

I couldn't agree with you more, sometime I think to myself "what the hell is wrong with those americans?" It's now become acceptable to let bush run wild stomping all over the freedoms americans used to have, the corporations have gotten into politics and heavily influence government cash flows, the medical industry is geared towards profit so they produce treatments and not cures, the elections were rigged twice and nobody gives a flying ****.

America was great a while back but now it's a terrible s**thole. I'm glad I don't live there :D . That country's due for a revolution.

i also agree. it seems to me that the golden age of america has been dying under the Bush administration's declaration of a semmingly unwinnable "war on terror." i hope in the future history books it doesn't read, "america failed to recover from George Bush The Terrible's reign during which civil rights were infringed, international laws, human rights and the geneva convention were thrown out the window... undoing everything that the warren court and generations of civil rights and politcal activists dedicated their life too..." i hope the current trends will be fixed... after all, i am an optimist.

on you be peace

I'm just wondering how will speaking out stop extremists from doing what they do?

There are two possible benefits of Muslims - in a concerted and loud voice - speaking out against radicalists, one of which benefits Islam and the other which benefits the rest of us.

1. Radicalists being marginalized and put on the defensive. This could lead, in time, to the radicals coming back into the fold of Koranic Islam. That would benefit the non-Muslim world.

2. Moderates being freed from the growing stereotype that Islam = radicalism. That benefits the rest of Islam.

At present we are trapped in a U.K./Northern Ireland-type of cyclical conflict trap. We cannot negotiate with radicals or give the impression that their terrorism - as we define it - have moved us to the bargaining table because that obviously sends the message that terrorism "works" as a political means to an end.

And radicals cannot simply lay down their arms because they would feel that their voice wasn't heard and that they are not standing up for real or perceived injustice.

There will have to be a gradual cooling of tensions. That cannot begin until the U.S. finally withdraws from Iraq and Afghanistan. Then the israeli/Palestinian conflict has to be resolved, which while seemingly intractible at this stage, will have to undergo the sort of miraculous end that the U.K./Northern Ireland conflict went through.

That is the toughest nut to crack because of israel's presence in the Middle East. Moderate Islam is going to have to influence the radicals to simply accept israel's presence. They aren't going away. And the U.S. will most definitely support israel's right to exist with arms, if necessary. It is as simple as that.

The last point really is key - as we all know - because even if the U.S. were to pressure israel to "give back" the Golan Heights and the West Bank, there will still be radicals who don't believe israel should even exist in the Middle East and they will fight against israel until the cows come home - and the cows are thoroughly enjoying themselves in California right now, so that's not happening any time soon. :D

assalamu'alaykum.

1. Radicalists being marginalized and put on the defensive. This could lead, in time, to the radicals coming back into the fold of Koranic Islam. That would benefit the non-Muslim world.

i agree. but i think the media in the western world would also have to change their rhetoric to help isolate the radicals. here's an interesting (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30882"]link[/url] which i found.

That is the toughest nut to crack because of israel's presence in the Middle East. Moderate Islam is going to have to influence the radicals to simply accept israel's presence. They aren't going away. And the U.S. will most definitely support israel's right to exist with arms, if necessary. It is as simple as that.

The last point really is key - as we all know - because even if the U.S. were to pressure israel to "give back" the Golan Heights and the West Bank, there will still be radicals who don't believe israel should even exist in the Middle East and they will fight against israel until the cows come home - and the cows are thoroughly enjoying themselves in California right now, so that's not happening any time soon. :D

not agreeing to give up your legitimately-owned and centuries-old native land is hardly radicalism. it's just normal human instinct. i dare not tell the palestinians to give up their lands. america pays billions of dollars in "foreign aid" and "military aid to israel (a highly industrialized country) while millions of americans live under the poverty line and millions more do not have health insurance. so why would the US most definitley support israel is beyond me.

peace

as salamu alaikum

A close family friend of ours works at the Islamic centre where i live, and he was interviewed by the BBC's Newsnight a week or so ago, to comment about the allegation that muslims are not doing enough to stop extremisim etc. In the interview he mentioned all the different activities they have done withint he Islamic centre to help young muslims be a part of the community, to educate them, to keep them occupied, to mix with good company, to educate non muslims about Islam and it's history and teaching, plus a lot of work with the police, courses organised to help the police deal better with muslims within the community in order not to cause offense as well as a committment to help them if there is any suspicion that any extremists ideas are flying around. But with allt his there is a price, and i mean it literally. The government is not offering any financial support to such activities so Islamic centres and Masjids are having to cosntasntly find funding elsewhere and raise money in other ways. If the government wants muslims to do more then it needs to offer them the financial ability to do so as well as support.