Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Princess Mujahada

Do You Have A Kunya?

:D

I use Umm Yunus (Mother of Yunus) sometimes :D

A kunya is a type of epithet widely used instead of first names throughout the Arab (and muslim world) world. It refers to the bearer's first-born son, with abū (father) or umm (mother) preceding the son's name, in a genitive construction (the iđāfa). The English equivalent would be to call someone whose eldest son is named Hamza "Father of Hamza."

The prophet :D would sometimes give kunyas to children to make them feel older (making them more mature.)

You dont have to have a kid to give yourself a kunya :D

PropellerAds

I use Abu Dawud... :D

and some of my friends just call me Abu :D ... [its not common for people to have hunya here... in Pakistan...]

Although people really don't know where the line is with the Arab and Sunnah thing... some even say that beard was of that time and culture and is not mandatory... :D

w/salaam

No i dont but pondering over it..

:D..

Assalamu Alaikum, Yes I do, I am UM HUZAIFAH, eventhough on Gawaher I use umAhmad because I like it too.

I wonder if everybody knows what is Kunya?

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

Assalamu Alaikum, Yes I do, I am UM HUZAIFAH, eventhough on Gawaher I use umAhmad because I like it too.

I wonder if everybody knows what is Kunya?

Masha'Allah :D

Guest amani

nah i havent got one yet :D

nope i havnt got one either :D thinking of one though :D

aint it werid being having Kunya and not have a child...

well if we're gonna all have 1, i want 1 too lol...hence forth i shall be known as abu zakariyah B)

Assalamu Alaikum, This is a common practice in some countries, they have a kunya. It would be nice though if the brothers and sisters who do not have children and are using a kunya, inshaAllah when they are blessed with children, then their spouses would agree to the names, and they can carry their kunya all their lives.

As For The Kunyah

Taken From: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_uk.groups.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/group/al-Islam-dk/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_uk.groups.yahoo(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/group/al-Islam-dk/[/url]

ÈÓã Çááå ÇáÑÃãä ÇáÑÃíã

ÇáÃãà ááå ÑÈ ÇáÚÇáãíä æÕáì Çááå æÓáã Úáì äÈíäÇ ãÃãà æÚáì Âáå æÃÕÃÇÈå æãä ÇåÊÃì ÈåÃíå Åáì íæã ÇáÃíä ÃãÇ ÈÚÃ

ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã æÑÃãÉ Çááå æÈÑßÇÊå

As for the kunayh (a nickname that contains the appellation Abu, Umm, etc, it is a form of honouring someone, and the Prophet (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã) bestowed the kunyah "Abu Yahyaa" on Suhaib (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) and upon 'Alee (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) the kunyah "Abu Turaab," and upon the brother of Anas (ÑÖí Çááå ÚäåãÇ) the kunyah "Abu 'Umair" while he was still a young child. It was a part of his guidance to bestow a kunyah upon a person who had a son and upon one who had no son.

It has not been confirmed from him that he (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã) prohibited any kunyah except Abul Qaasim (that is his own kunyah). Scholars have disagreed regarding it. Some said that it is totally impermissible while others have said that it is not permissible to combine it with the name (i.e. Abul Qaasim Muhammad), and there is a hadeeth to that effect which was declared authentic by At-Tirmidhee.

It was said that it is permissible to combine them based on the hadeeth of 'Alee (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) in which he said (to the Prophet Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã ): "If another son is born to me after you (die), may I call him by your name and bestow upon him your kunyah?" He (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã) said, "Yes." This was declared authentic by At Tirmidhee. It was said that the prohibiton was only during his lifetime.

The correct opinion is that bestowing his kunyah on anyone is forbidden, and it was more strictly prohibited during his lifetime. Also, combining them is prohibited, for the authenticity of the hadeeth of 'Alee (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) is questionable (3), and At-Tirmidhee (ÑÃãå Çááå ÊÚÇáì) was not strict regarding the authentication of ahadeeth.

Footnote #3: All narrators in the sanad (chain of narration) are described by the Scholars of Hadeeth as reliable.

'Alee (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) said that it was a license for him, which proves that the prohibition remains for others. As for the hadeeth of 'Aaishah (ÑÖí Çááå ÚäåÇ): "What could make my name lawful and my kunyah lawful?" It is ghareeb (4). An authentic hadeeth may not be contradicted by such a narration.

Footnote #4: From Shaykh Muhammad Ibn 'Abdil Wahhaab (ÑÃãå Çááå ÊÚÇáì): Ghareeb - A hadeeth reported at some point(s) in its sanad by a single narrator, such a hadeeth is not necessarily weak, but obviously Ibnul Qayyim means to suggest that it is so here. However, all of the narrators are described as reliable by the Scholars of Hadeeth.

A group of the Salaf (ÑÖí Çááå Úäåã) disliked that the kunyah Abu 'Eesaa be applied to anyone, while others permitted it. Abu Daawud (ÑÃãå Çááå ÊÚÇáì) narrated on the authority of Zaid Ibn Aslam (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) that 'Umar (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) struck one of his sons who took for himself the kunyah Abu 'Eesaa, and that Al-Mugheerah took for himself that same kunyah and 'Umar said, "Is it not enough for you to take the name Abu 'Abdillaah as a kunyah?" Al-Mugheerah (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå) replied, "The Messenger of Allaah (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã) bestowed on me this kunyah." 'Umar responded, "The Messenger of Allaah (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Óáã) has had all of his sins, past and future forgiven by Allaah while you are in our jaljah." After this he continued to use the kunyah Abu 'Abdillaah until he died.

Footnote: Jaljah - That is, we still remain amongst a number of Muslims like us, and we don't know what Allaah will do with us. All of the narrators are described as reliable by the Scholars of Hadeeth.

References:

Mutakhsar Zaadul Ma'aad

By Imaam Ibnul Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah

Summarized By Shaykh Muhammad Ibn 'Abdil Wahhaab

Pages 177 - 179

Imaam An-Nawawee (ÑÃãå Çááå ÊÚÇáì) was given the nickname Aboo Zakariyyaa (the father of Zakariyyaa) although he never had a child by that name. It is not uncommon for men to be given kunyahs (nicknames) while they are still under age and that kunyah remains with them throughout their lives. See Imaam An Nawawee's 40 Ahadeeth by www.TarbiyyahBookstore(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

In Al-Majmoo', Imaam An-Nawawee (ÑÃãå Çááå ÊÚÇáì) argues that it is recommended for people to have kunyahs, even if they do not have children. See Imaam An-Nawawee's, Al-Majmoo' Sharh Al-Muhdhib Vol. 8, p.438

Let's take a look at the Mother of the Believers: She was Umm 'Abdillaah 'Aaishah (ÑÖí Çááå ÚäåÇ). It is known that she never had any children.

Aboo Hurairah (the father of the cat (kitten)): This is 'Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn Sakhr (ÑÖí Çááå Úäå). He could never be the "father" of a cat. It's just a nickname.

There are more examples from the Sunnah.

aint it werid being having Kunya and not have a child...

well if we're gonna all have 1, i want 1 too lol...hence forth i shall be known as abu zakariyah B)

I have always loved the name zakariyah, so naturally I was thinking bout "Um Zakariyah"

But I see it would be odd to use that now... :D

ah well..I'm still thinking about other ones...

:D sis outlaw

abu zakariyahs cool masha'Allah.

salaam,

jazaaks sis outlaw. But to be honest im still a bit confused. I understand these names are given out but.......do you chose them or your parents? Also why is it weird to have one when you don't have a child?

Salaamu Alaikum.

Also why is it weird to have one when you don't have a child?
because Abu or Umm means father or mother of, so some people might think you have a child, but you dont have to have a child inorder to have a kunya.

I go by Umm Jihad sometimes.

"I go by Umm Jihad sometimes"

Umm mujahid sounds like a cool kunyah for a sista :D