Islamic Forum
Tamarbutah

Asma Al Husna

:D Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I'd like to learn Allah's 99 names Insha'Allah, Most of you may or may not know these already but for those of us who don't know them or may only know some of them I think it would be good for us to learn a name a day Insha'Allah. Not only do we have to learn the names but also we have to know the meaning and understand what each one means.

I will try to post a name a day insha’Allah please lets all make an effort in this, maybe we can write it out in Arabic a few times too. May Allah help us with our memories and give us good intentions always…Ameeen.

AN EXPLANATION OF THE PERFECT NAMES AND ATTRIBUTES OF Allah

"He is Allah, the Creator, the Originator, The Fashioner, to Him belong the most beautiful names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, do declare His praises and glory. And He is the Exalted in Might, The Wise. (Quran 59:24)

"The most beautiful names belong to God: so call on Him by them;..." (7:180)

It is not possible to perfectly translate the names and attributes of Allah from their original Arabic into English. However, here are some fairly close explanations.

^= letter ain of arabic '= letter hamza of arabic

Prophet Muhammad SAW said "Allah the Most High has 99 names. He who retains them in his memory will enter paradise"

I will write the first 2 today.

1. Allah Çááå

Allah, He who has the Godhood which is the power to create the entities.

2. AR RAHMAN ÇáÑÃãä

The Compassionate, The Beneficient, The One who has plenty of mercy for the believers and the blasphemers in this world and especially for the believers in the hereafter.

PropellerAds

:D / Peace to all,

Excellent idea sis :D Looking forward to your posts... :D

Sis Zabrina

:D

I highly recommend Sami Yusuf's nasheed, 99 names of Allah. It is extremely helpful for memorization of these beautiful names.

3. Ar-Raheem ÇáÑÃíã

The Merciful, The One who has plenty of mercy for the believers.

I just came across this ...

Palm of the Hand

What could be interpreted as the number 99 written in Arabic is imprinted on human hands. If one looks at his or her palms, thumbs facing upward, the lines in the hands appear as "١٨ ٨١", which are the arabic numerals of 81 and 18, which sum to 99.

For Muslims this is a reference to the names of God. It should be noted that this has no Islamic or Qu'ranic basis supporting it, and is more likely a novelty that has developed in Muslim culture.

Not sure what you think about this but it's kind of amazing really the source is from... (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Al_Hayy"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Al_Hayy[/url]

4. Al-Malik Çáãáß

The King, The Sovereign Lord, The One with the complete Dominion, the One Whose Dominion is clear from imperfection.

According to Islamic tradition, a Muslim may not be given any of the 99 names of God in the exact same form- for example, nobody may be named Al Malik (The King), but may be named Malik 'King'. An exception may be made in some cases — for example, the son of Khattab ibn Nufayl is named "Umar ibn Khattab", but since his father was famous, he is called Umar ibn al-Khattab. This implies "Umar, the son of the [famous] Khattab" and not "Umar, the son of the [one and only] Khattab". In the same maner, there are people named "x ibn al-y".

However the names/attributes of Allah (God) can be combined with the word "'Abd -" which means servant (i.e. - of God) and are commonly used as personal names among Muslims.

Same source as above :D

Yes, thats true sis. We should always put the word 'abd' in front of any of Allaah's name if we want to use it... :D

I too learnt about the two palms thingy when i was in school, long long time ago :D

:D for sharing...

Sis Zabrina

:D An excellent idea!

I would also recommend Kamal Uddins nasheed, it makes it easier to learn the Names of Allah :D

5. Al-Quddoos ÇáÞÃæÓ

The Holy, The One who is pure from any imperfection and clear from children and adversaries.

Sorry Sisters I was trying to make the arabic text bigger because if your like me and learning arabic then it's hard to make out the letters when text is small. Anyway now I figured it out. :D Alhamdulilah

Sorry Sisters I was trying to make the arabic text bigger because if your like me and learning arabic then it's hard to make out the letters when text is small. Anyway now I figured it out. :D Alhamdulilah

No problem sis :D Yes, its nicer and easier to read now :D

Sis Zabrina

6. As-Salaam ÇáÓáÇã

The Source of Peace, The One who is free from every imperfection.

SubhanAllah Wow Look at the meaning of that....Most of us we just think of Salaam as peace, I didn't even realise it was one of Allah's names.

Lets just sit back and reflect on that meaning, The source of Peace, The One who is free from every imperfection.

:D for the thread.

A recitation of the Asma Al Husna can be downloaded from (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_s10.quicksharing(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/v/1233060/Qari_Ayoob_Asma_ul_Husna.zip.hml"]here[/url], by Qari Ayoob bin Essak(South Africa), at 2:40min per completion.

7. Al-Mu'min ÇáãÄãä

Guardian of Faith, The One who witnessed for Himself that no one is God but Him. And He witnessed for His believers that they are truthful in their belief that no one is God but Him.

A recitation of the Asma Al Husna can be downloaded from here, by Qari Ayoob bin Essak(South Africa), at 2:40min per completion.

Jazak Allah khair Brother.

8. Al-Muhaymin المهيمن

The Protector, The One who witnesses the saying and deeds of His creatures.

Edited by Tamarbutah

9.Al-^Azeez ÇáÚÒíÒ

The Mighty, The Strong, The Defeater who is not defeated.

Alsalamu Alikum , When we know the Names of Allah we know his qualities and attributes, that should make us All understand that if we depend on Allah on doing anything, so we will not fear anyone who opposite us wither he is strong or weak, i see that clearly in the Names of Allah Like Al-Aziz, the mighty, the strong, the defeater who is not defeated, so if i'm with him so who can defeat me?!! even i were facing a giant enemy, we can apply that way of thinking over the other names of Allah till we reach knowledge of the 99 names, by that end we will be sure what powers we will have in our hands with attching to Allah and escape to him in any trouble we face.

Assalamu Alaikum

It was only this morning when me and my hubby were driving to work and was listening to Kamal Uddin's 99 Names of Allah. We said that we'll run a competition between us to see who can learn these Names and that the defeator will have to treat the other to whatever they want (within reason of course!). That'd give us something to work towards!

And Allhamdullillah I log onto IF today - and heres this thread waiting to be read! Allhamdullillah, Allah works in mysterious ways!

This is such a good idea, InshAllah I will learn alot from this topic.

Can we post Names aswell?

Walaikum Assalam

Sister I think if you start posting names I will forget what names I have to put here and then I'd mess up but if you want to put other translations of the names I have posted or if you want to post anything related to the names then that would be great.

Jazaki Allah Khair for your willingness to help us with this. :D

10. Al-Jabbaar ÇáÌÈÇÑ

The Compeller, The One that nothing happens in His Dominion except that which He willed.

Or

The Powerful, the Irresistible.

11. Al-Mutakabbir المتكبر

The Majestic, The One who is clear from the attributes of the creatures and from resembling them.

Or

The Greatest, The Proud, The Tremendous.

Edited by Tamarbutah

12. Al-Khaaliq ÇáÎÇáÞ

The Creator, The One who brings everything from non-existence to existence.