Islamic Forum
Haafid

How Do You Have Certainty Islam Is The Only Truth

I think People believe strongly on what they have been taught from childhood.

???

I have been Atheist for all my life. I have never been influenced by religion. In fact, I wrote a book insulting God all day long. It was not until I looked to the OTHER side of the world and realized my error.

???

PropellerAds
I have been Atheist for all my life.

And what caused you to become an Atheist in the first place? More importantly Did you believe that God did not exist?

I have never been influenced by religion

sumhow I totally disagree...you've been influenced at somepoint, or your religion status wouldn't say Islam.

In fact, I wrote a book insulting God all day long

I get the feeling you were a militant atheist?

It tells me that they all discovered the existence of God and that it is irrefutable in their studies. As to how they arrive to a certain religion, it is probably because of their unsupervised interpretations of the holy books.
It is also unsupervised interpretations of the holy books that led them to believe in God in the first place?

P.S.

Proof is for the weak people while faith is for the strong people.

Proof is required for the intelligent, the rational and the logical people as well :D (you know, scientists, philosophers, and all those other pioneers that rely on the scientific method?) The only strength that people of faith have is strength in numbers.

And what caused you to become an Atheist in the first place? More importantly Did you believe that God did not exist?

It never occurred to me of when I decided or not to be an atheist. It all started when my brain developed into maturity - age 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. My father and mother are non-religious. The common word "God" was all part of our language and I never put it to serious thought. Then I hear about people praying to God, and I referred them as object worshippers (because they worship in front of a specific object) and insulted them as inferior. I never believed in God at that moment. I wrote in my journal of how God clearly was not merciful since we have sudden death all over, was clearly full of errors since we have mutations, was clearly unrelated to science since the weather is driven by necessary processes to produce a result. But taking upon research because people insulted MUSLIMS all day long, I took upon the journey of finding out what makes Islam SO attractive. And here I am.

sumhow I totally disagree...you've been influenced at somepoint, or your religion status wouldn't say Islam.

I get the feeling you were a militant atheist?

Definitely. I would not be friends with those that prayed. I thought they were inferior to me. I considered faith as "blind hope" as my parents heard me say that when I was 9 or something. I spit at churches making fun of those that go to Sunday church and I insulted the idea of school uniforms because "it limits our progress". Since I'm 19 now, with so much years of studies placed before my conversion, I realized my errors.... :D

It is also unsupervised interpretations of the holy books that led them to believe in God in the first place?

Dunno if that makes sense. That's pretty much circular reasoning so I'm not going to go into that. :D

Proof is required for the intelligent, the rational and the logical people as well :D (you know, scientists, philosophers, and all those other pioneers that rely on the scientific method?) The only strength that people of faith have is strength in numbers.

Don't you think I've heard of that? This is not what I'm talking about. I can see your side clearly because I was atheist. :D But I challenge you to make sense of my statement. Good luck on that... :D

Salams.

This

I never believed in God at that moment.

Contradicts this

I wrote in my journal of how God clearly was not merciful since

Sounds more like you had beef with God? The moment you acknowledged a god, you were no longer an atheist? Which you did in the journals?

Dunno if that makes sense. That's pretty much circular reasoning so I'm not going to go into that. wink.gif

my point was that you said people found god which you agree is correct ~ most of them find it through religious texts ~ as for the ones that are non-muslim believers you blame false interpretation of religious texts. See the problem? If they misenterpreted the texts, then not only did they arrive at the wrong religion but every other belief they derived from teh religious texts is based on false grounds ~ including the belief in god.

But I challenge you to make sense of my statement. Good luck on that... wink.gif

you already lost me, what statement are refering to? :D

Edited by 3dshocker

:D

SubhanAllah...because...one just needs to look around and see all the signs that are clearly evident...

i.e. if this life was the only life (of enjoyment etc)...then whats the point of death, why are people tested etc.....

limited resources.. tard

hajimood, reading all of your posts, it doesn't look like you were ever truly an atheist. Some people THINK they are atheists, but they're really only mad at God. Btw, I think your parents were foolish to not discipline you for spitting at churches. That's not a proper way to act, regardless of your beliefs.

The strongest atheists I know are those who were raised (usually force fed) in a religious family. I was raised in a religious family, myself. Everyone I knew claimed to be talking to God. I even believed I was, for a while. Then as I grew older, I realized I wasn't talking to God. I just made myself believe I was talking to God. I did honestly try to speak to God for a long time. But I came to the realization that everyone is fooling themselves. I believe this today. People get "feelings" and assume that it's God. People will get a chill up their spine and assume they were "touched". Forget the fact that you can get the same chill up your spine when you watch a movie.

Humans are predictable creatures and the phenomona that people experience when they think they are in contact with God is predictable. It's not supernatural. It's something that can be reproduced in a lab. People who believe it is something more...that's just wishful thinking.

???

I have been Atheist for all my life. I have never been influenced by religion. In fact, I wrote a book insulting God all day long. It was not until I looked to the OTHER side of the world and realized my error.

???

And I have been a devouted muslim all my life, never been influenced by agnostics..... :D

My point?...I was generalizing

Peace

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.templeton(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/brainmindemergence/press-newsweek20010507.asp"]Why you feel god[/url]

Ok look, those who feel that Islam is right becuase you FEEL it

look, its like sneezing

Can a blind know whats it like to see; can a deaf know how sensation is; can an child know the pleasure of sexual act...Some issues cant be explained to others by words. So for a muslim its nonsense and trivial trying to explicate such beliefs like Islam's certainty to an nonbeliever. The only way to clarify such points, is to dwell and represent your faith. The tongue of posture, is the most noble-effective way of elucidation.

Beautifully said br vdtwo :D

To the original poster:

Certainty (yaakin) is power, firmness and stability of faith so great that it becomes as a towering mountain which no doubts can shake and no illusions rock. Rather, doubts and illusions disappear completely, and when they come from outside are neither listened to by the ear nor heeded by the heart. The devil cannot approach the possessor of such certainty: he flees from him, fears his very shadow, and is content to keep at a safe distance. As the Messenger of Allah, may blessings and peace be upon him, has said: 'Satan is afraid of the shadow of Umar, and Umar never takes a road but that satan takes another.'

- From Imaam Abdallah Ibn Alawi Al-Haddad's The Book of Assistance

From the same book:

Certainty derives it's power and excellence from many things.

- The first, most essential and pivotal of these is that servant listen attentively with his heart as well as his ears to the verses and hadiths relating to Allah, His Majesty, Perfection, Magnitude and Grandeur, His Uniqueness in creating and deciding, ruling and compelling; likewise reflect on the truthfulness and perfection of His Messengers, the miracles they were aided with, and the sundry chastisements which befell those who opposed them. That these are sufficient to bring about certainty is indicated by His Word (Swt):

Is it not enough for them that We have sent down upon you the Book which is recited to them? 29:51

- The second is to learn from looking at the kingdom of the heavens and the earth, and the wondrous and astounding creatures that God made them teem with. That this brings about certainty is indicated by His saying (Swt):

We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the Truth. 41:53

- The third is to behave according to what one believes, outwardly and inwardly, zealously, and to the limits of one's resources. That this brings about certainty is indicated by His saying (Swt):

Those who strive in Us, We shall surely guide them to Our ways. 29:69

Can a blind know whats it like to see; can a deaf know how sensation is; can an child know the pleasure of sexual act...Some issues cant be explained to others by words. So for a muslim its nonsense and trivial trying to explicate such beliefs like Islam's certainty to an nonbeliever. The only way to clarify such points, is to dwell and represent your faith. The tongue of posture, is the most noble-effective way of elucidation.

And that is the exact response you will always hear from the religious. "You can't understand". But I have been in your shoes. I have felt it and I know that it is not God. You can get the same feelings elsewhere in life. You can get the feeling at a sporting event or watching a movie. It's an emotional response.

Peace,

I often watch a movie and am moved by it. I attend a family wedding and am moved to tears by a couple's happiness. I see a new born child and am bowled over by emotion. But nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to the feeling of certainty and love for Allah in my heart.

And any happiness/ positive emotion I feel just re-affirms my thankfulness to Him. Conversely any sadness or negative emotion I feel just makes me turn to Him for protection and guidance.

That is the difference between belief and disbelief.

Belief is about being mindful of God and conscious of Him at all times. One who never truly believed cannot conprehend that sentiment.

Belief is about being mindful of God and conscious of Him at all times. One who never truly believed cannot conprehend that sentiment.

And every single relgious response comes down to this. "You don't believe, therefore you cannot understand". What you fail to comprehend is that we DO understand. We understand completely and we see the fallacy. You fail to realize that the human mind is capable of believing anything. And you fail to see how this applies.

The answer to the original post is really quite simple. You can't, plain and simple. The moment you have absolute certainty, (REAL certainty. not this; "I believe in Allah and so I believe Islam is the Way of life, that is my only reason")is the moment you no longer have faith, you have knowledge. Faith and knowledge are two very different things. Religion is based on following something you have no way of verifying, the whole basis of what faith is about. If you 100% KNEW that God existed you would be playing by a whole seperate set of rules.

You fail to realize that the human mind is capable of believing anything. And you fail to see how this applies.

I agree 100%. I have seen this first hand, when I see non Arabic speaking Muslims reading the Quran in Arabic and then telling me how enlightened they feel afterwards. Or when I see non Arabic speaking Muslims listening to Arabic khutbas during Friday prayer and nodding their heads in approval even though they have no idea what the imam is saying. Converts are the best example of this. I remember I had a convert friend who told me he got goosebumps every time he heard the call to prayer, and that this showed him the beauty of Islam even though he was American and had absolutely no idea what it actually meant. It never ceases to amaze me how easily people can fool themselves into believing something when they have no basis to do so other than their own desire for purpose.

Edited by MajidM

And every single relgious response comes down to this. "You don't believe, therefore you cannot understand". What you fail to comprehend is that we DO understand. We understand completely and we see the fallacy. You fail to realize that the human mind is capable of believing anything. And you fail to see how this applies.

Peace,

We're going round in circles. The human mind is also capable of being in abject denial. And I'm afraid you do not understand it in the same way I do because your understanding leads you to disbelief whereas my understanding leads me to belief. This debate is a non-starter.

As it is said in the Qur'an, 'To you, your way, and to me, mine.'

With peace

short answer to the initial question

"How Do You Have Certainty Islam Is The Only Truth"

-Answer : "You don't"

facts and logic are irrelevant when it comes to faith

Asalamalikum.

Everyone that wants to understand Islam read this. Long read, but really pay attention, and it will be worth it in the end.

(www.)"http://al-islamforall/litre/englitre/Undislam.htm"]al-islamforall/litre/englitre/Undislam.htm[/url]

Asalamalikum

This is what I made with my thoughts B)

Existence of God

God does exists, there has to be a creator for our universe to work with such perfect balance. If there were no creator there would not be balance, and tranquility. If you look around you what do you see? You see buildings, plants, trees, animals, walking people, and other moving things. They are all perfectly designed, and made that no something, or someone can create it without being All-knowing, and All wise.

Take for example a building. Humans have been given tools to construct these massive building by God. You can now say, but that’s illogical thinking, because God does not exist. What makes you believe he does not exist? Are the signs not in front of you already? The building material was created by the creator, and it came together because he said Be, and it is. This is the same to the human mind. We are nothing but Carbon material, and because he said “Be†and so we are. If our brain were just a little bit different we would be like retarded.

Look at all the humans around us. They have organs, cells, hearts, and they function properly in a set period of time, which then they expire, and die. Do you think anyone other then creator could have given humans the mind to think? You may say it was evolution, but do you think that this was one of the infinite amounts of coincidence that occur to create man. Well if there were infinite number of coincidence then if I broke every sing part of a watch, and placed all parts inside a box, and I started shaking it for infinite number of years will it ever come together? Of course not. The pieces, hit bounce, and never come together, but when creator, which in this case would be engineer properly moves the pieces in place the watch is formed, and that’s how the human body is created. God moves the pieces in place for it to be created otherwise there is no creation.

When you look at the world, and look at it in a way that God is the maker, and that God is perfect, and all knowing. You have trust in him the most, and believe in him the most. When you love him a lot, and understand the signs you will finally feel enlightened. Everything will make sense to you, and so you can just say that we were created to Worship God. Does God not deserve some appreciation in return for what he has given us? He has given us so much in life, that we should give some appreciation back.

There is someone that created God? An even greater God? That’s ridiculous, and if you continue to believe this ideology you will surely live your life with questioning such as what created him, and him. The questing is infinite. There is no GOD! BUT GOD, and he is only one. One the number is one… One god is easier for me to believe in two or million, but thats just my belief.

((I toke some of other peoples ideas, and made them here with my own words. Also some of my ideas have come from intense questioning as I walk my day to day life. If you really want to believe I think that it comes to you easily. If you really don’t want t believe then you have created that reality for yourself, and nothing may change that… By the way the site won't appear because I don't have 50 post. I would love someone to fix that site for me :D. By the way get a nice cup of coffee, and enjoy the read, also if I said anything wrong on this post don't insult me. I am only a 15 year old kid, with massive head aches, and a computer addiction.

Asalamalikum

Grrr... I posted on the wrong thread!!

When it comes to rationale, we are not blind, def and dumb unless we choose to be.

If belief can't be explained/understood then how can people who do understand it know?

Why would God make us def/blind/dumb and then expect us to hear/see/understand?

How is that fair that people who want to see the light can't..bcaz we are not capable of seeing it? what rationale is this? :D

I mean, I can say that God came to me personally, but I can't explain my experience bcaz there are no words to convey it...hence that's the truth..EVen if so, How can I expect people to understand that?

Peace

I really do not see the point behind calling people from other faiths idiots etc...no reason at all....

Anyway, i have complete belief and conviction in Islam because I have questioned every single part of it, as well as investigating other faiths....

For me that just proved that Islam was the ultimate truth...

fi aman Allah

How do you know what truth is ?

Is this truth ?

Why is it that a women's testimony is worth only half of a man's in court ?

This is discrimination !

I mean if your willing to give up your basic right as a human being to a fair trial, what is the next thing your willing to give up ???

Real

Or when I see non Arabic speaking Muslims listening to Arabic khutbas during Friday prayer and nodding their heads in approval even though they have no idea what the imam is saying.

salaam

LOL that sounds exactly like me! i speak arabic though...but for some reason if i ever hear anything at the Masjid with the imam speaking, i never understand. :sl: however, i know he's saying something that matters and that is the truth about how glorious Allah swt is, so i feel happy listening to something that i know is right. i do wish i knew what he was saying though. :sl:

Here's the answer: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&showtopic=24275&view=findpost&p=227577"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?s=&sh...st&p=227577[/url]