Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hasib

Taboo

An Egyptian film which graphically tackles subjects such as homosexuality, abuse and terrorism in the Arab world has broken box office records after release in its country of origin.

The Yacoubian Building, based on the book by Ala Aswani, has topped the Egyptian box office since the day it opened two weeks ago, and made more than one million dollars a day in the country.

In a country where films are often heavily censored, the film includes frank portrayals of homosexuality, police torture, and government corruption in telling the story of a group of tenants in a decaying Cairo residency.

The film's director, Marwan Hamed, told BBC World Service's On Screen programme that he thought the numbers seeing the film was "very positive" for the country, and said that at many of the screenings he has seen, audiences have been talking, reacting and even applauding all through it.

"The idea of film-making is to make a film that makes people think - so the film is doing its purpose, and I'm very happy about that," he said.

"It was a thin line between trying to be daring and pushing away the audience.

"We need to talk about the taboos, and we need to cancel the word 'taboos' from our lives - we need to talk about everything to become better. If we don't, if we hide everything in denial, how are we going to become better?"

Full story (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5150216.stm"]here[/url]

:D

PropellerAds

Assalamu alaikum, unfortunately, this is how degenaration of a Society starts and keeps spreading, by exposing things that are better hidden.

There was a time when a person was ashamed and hid his bad qualities, now by exploitation and encouragement, those same things have become a thing of Pride.

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raajioon. The more you talk about bad things the more corruption is spread and The more you talk about good you will spread goodness. Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Assalamu alaikum

Assalamu alaikum, unfortunately, this is how degenaration of a Society starts and keeps spreading, by exposing things that are better hidden.

Police torture, poverty and terrorism are issues which are affecting many people and as they are considered to be 'taboo' issues, no one addresses them. They need to be put in the main arena and addressed. That's how something positive can be done about it.

There was a time when a person was ashamed and hid his bad qualities, now by exploitation and encouragement, those same things have become a thing of Pride.

Apart from addressing the issue of homosexuality in Muslim communities, i don't see how any of the other subjects talked about will lead to pride and social acceptance of immoral acts, as those issues are things no sane person regardless of their colour/religion/ethnicity/gender/whatever would tolerate and accept.

Those being harrassed, such as sexual abuse and tortore victims, need their voices to be heard in order for them to recieve help to improve their lives, not for their dilemmas to be brushed under the carpet. :D

Ma'assalama

Assalamu alaikum

Police torture, poverty and terrorism are issues which are affecting many people and as they are considered to be 'taboo' issues, no one addresses them. They need to be put in the main arena and addressed. That's how something positive can be done about it.

Apart from addressing the issue of homosexuality in Muslim communities, i don't see how any of the other subjects talked about will lead to pride and social acceptance of immoral acts, as those issues are things no sane person regardless of their colour/religion/ethnicity/gender/whatever would tolerate and accept.

Those being harrassed, such as sexual abuse and tortore victims, need their voices to be heard in order for them to recieve help to improve their lives, not for their dilemmas to be brushed under the carpet. :D

Ma'assalama

:D Well said sis

this is how degenaration of a Society starts and keeps spreading, by exposing things that are better hidden.

This is one of the main problems of the Ummah. Denial of problems. These things that affect society as a whole, require a general debate, so solutions can be found. Ignoring the problems will only make it worse.

Peace

I also read about the movie, but still didn't find neither the time, nor the source to watch it. But I will as soon as I can find an edition with subtitles. (My Arabic is not that great!)

Also I support Anthonys stance. Internal discussion of society problems are long overdue. That's where truly diseases come from. If you feel pain, you have a doctor looking at it. If society has got problems, these things have to be adressed in public in order that they're cured. (Even if it's painful).

Ignoring symptoms is no way to find a therapy.

Ma'a Salama

nasiruddin

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raajioon. The more you talk about bad things the more corruption is spread and The more you talk about good you will spread goodness. Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

I agree with sis UmAhmad... shouldn't talk about such things.. otherwise its only a matter of time when they start heading towards the current western conditions....

w/salaam

I agree with sis UmAhmad... shouldn't talk about such things.. otherwise its only a matter of time when they start heading towards the current western conditions....

w/salaam

No offense bro, but they are already in the same condition and stages as the west on homosexulaity. Its absolutely rife in many muslim populated countries, the only difference is that everything is done underground, in secret. I dont know which one is worse, because effectively many problems are arising from the wide spread underground sodmity thats going on, including the spread of sexually transmitted dieases which is increasing at an alarming rate (another issue which is not discussed or being dealt with). Whats also worse is that many of these indivduals (predominatly men) who spread this to their wives, will no doubt blame them (wives) for their own misconduct as to cover their own backs.

We need to tackle these issues head on and acknowlegde they exist and how to deal with them. Otherwise if we keep pretending its not there or its something that will go away, then we're going to be in more trouble that we already are.

No offense bro, but they are already in the same condition and stages as the west on homosexulaity. Its absolutely rife in many muslim populated countries, the only difference is that everything is done underground, in secret. I dont know which one is worse, because effectively many problems are arising from the wide spread underground sodmity thats going on, including the spread of sexually transmitted dieases which is increasing at an alarming rate (another issue which is not discussed or being dealt with). Whats also worse is that many of these indivduals (predominatly men) who spread this to their wives, will no doubt blame them (wives) for their own misconduct as to cover their own backs.

We need to tackle these issues head on and acknowlegde they exist and how to deal with them. Otherwise if we keep pretending its not there or its something that will go away, then we're going to be in more trouble that we already are.

I would respectfully disagree with you. The thing with what you are saying is different, one should educate the masses about sexually transmistted diseases and all the rest of that, but you don't have to tell them about the presence of these things in the societies. When you talk about such things you are telling the people about these things, people who don't know about them... The more people talk about these things, things would become normal after sometime... like it became normal in the west and eventually gays can get married :D ...

w/salaam

Assalamu Alaikum Br. Anthony and Br. nasiiruddin and the others. I think you have not understood what I am saying, or maybe, you understand but do not agree with me, Alhamdulillah, everybody has a right to their opinion, I will not criticize your opinion and would like you to respect my opinion too.

This is one of the main problems of the Ummah. Denial of problems. These things that affect society as a whole, require a general debate, so solutions can be found. Ignoring the problems will only make it worse.

Peace

No I am not in denial nor are others that think like me, Off course there is a big problem, and needs to be solved, not debated, look where the debate of homosexuality has ended up in my country CANADA, one of the few countries that allows Gay marriages, until it was given so much publicity, people who were involved in this disgusting sickness would hide and and do whatever they want, now they are doing things openly, people who live in toronto are witness to the pride week and the pride Parade that took place just a couple of weeks ago.

What I am saying is, this problem goes a long way back, and before people were ashamed and would not talk about it openly, now it is a matter of Pride, is it not? So much so that this has become a subject that I have to explain to my Islamic Studies Students almost every other day because they are homosexuals and nurses coming to schools and explaining to the innocent grade 7'ers and up how it is not wrong and not a sickness , but just that God made them this way.

Those being harrassed, such as sexual abuse and tortore victims, need their voices to be heard in order for them to recieve help to improve their lives, not for their dilemmas to be brushed under the carpet.

Sis Strider, I was not talking about these issues at all, Yes these issues should be dealt with and the people who commit these astrocities against the innocent should be dealt with and punished openly not hidden, so that the public will see what happens when they commit crimes of this nature.

When children of Grade 5 who are hardly 11 year old are taught Sex education, and everything connected to it in Schools, then what do you expect. Atleast half if not all the children would want to and try out things that they are learning. And the worst part is they are taught thes subjects in a Co-ed class. Is this how we want to learn these things and at such a young age?

Sis. summer_girl, I can assure you that yes these problems exist in all countries, as long as corrupt people are there these problems will be there, and yes children and adults have to be educated, in proper ways, not by showing Movies which encourage this type of behaviour and promote things that are destroying the Society and humanity.

Why do you point at the Muslim countries though, and how do you know that men in Muslim countries blame everything on their wives, THIS IS NOT A TOPIC OF MEN BLAMING WOMEN OR WOMEN BLAMING MEN, it is about Taboo, Please do not change the direction of the Topic.

Br. Noxiouspython, JazaakAllahu Khairan for understanding my point of view and agreeing with me Alhamdulillah. One of my elders a very wise person once said "When there is darkness everywhere because of some problem with the Electricity, don't sit and debate about the darkness and curse the darkness and the source of darkness, just light some candles yourself and tell the people around you to do the same and you will be able to see inshaAllah."

Please everyone do not take offense. Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

I would respectfully disagree with you. The thing with what you are saying is different, one should educate the masses about sexually transmistted diseases and all the rest of that, but you don't have to tell them about the presence of these things in the societies. When you talk about such things you are telling the people about these things, people who don't know about them... The more people talk about these things, things would become normal after sometime... like it became normal in the west and eventually gays can get married :D ...

w/salaam

Talking about the issue at hand and encouraging it are two different things. Im not sugessting that we encourage it and i dont think by talking about it, we are saying 'yes go and do it, marry one another' etc. What we should be doing is saying : 'look this is haram. this is what Islam's view is on it, this is what the shariah says on it, this is what happens to society when its practised widespread.' and find solutions to the problem.

As for some people not knowing about these things, brother people are not ignorant. Even the common villager in the a rural part of pakistan, eygpt, saudi, somalia will know what homosexuality is. Their not obilvious to it happining, even if it doesnt happen on their own surroundings.

As for Sexually Transmitted diseaies, this comes in parcel with sodmity. Look at the statistics in the western hemisphere and see how the practise of sodmity and these dieseases are linked. If we dont discuss with the people, how their actions will cause dire consquences then it will spread and become unchecked.

We have no problems in our ummah talking about adultry or fornication, the stance of Islam, its impact on society. These are regular topics dicussed in the wider muslim community. Does that mean those imans, speakers etc who have all talked about these issues before are encouraging its widespread? I dont think so.

Theres a saying: Prevention is better then the cure. We need to start acting/talking upon how to prevent this, rather then later on complaning about the consquences of it.

No offense taken umahmend. Even if we dont agree, i still respect your opinions. :D

Why do you point at the Muslim countries though, and how do you know that men in Muslim countries blame everything on their wives, THIS IS NOT A TOPIC OF MEN BLAMING WOMEN OR WOMEN BLAMING MEN, it is about Taboo, Please do not change the direction of the Topic.

To answer your questions, the reason why were are pointing at muslim countries, is because we are muslims sis and most of us come from muslim countries. This is what affects us. of course its not only in muslim countries that it happens, but to me, its more important.

To answer you second point, i didnt say that all muslim men blame everything on their wives, but i did say that those women who found themselves in such a situation i described would face the rap for their men's actions, which is true. many of the laws and social attuties in our societies are prejudice against women. Of course our religion isnt and neither is Allah s.w.t laws, but the mis-use and misdemour of ceratin laws and the attitudes that prevail mean that men can (and do) exploit the system, to penalise women, more harshly then to a man.

Your right though, i did stray from the topic slightly, but inshallah i will try to make sure that my comments dicuss the topic at hand.