Islamic Forum

Assalamu Alaikum my brothers and sisters in Islam

In some customs people pay their respects/give their salam to someone by touching the others feet. I understand this to mean that the feet is regarded to be the area of the body that is the most unclean due to walking on them. Also it is the lowest part (physicaly) of the body and may also be considered low in a moral sense.

So by touching their feet you show that you respect them because you are willing to 'bow down' to them and touch the lowest part of them.

Many MANY people do not agree with and I am one of them...My simple reason is that you should not bow to ANYONE but Allah, but also that the feet are just another part of the body and so how can it be regarded as 'low/dirty".

Now, using this logic that the feet (clean feet!) are a creation of Allah just as our hands, why do people find it DISrespectful to use your feet to close a door, or if your touch another person with your feet, or to a very extrame touch the Holy Quran?

However I do understand that we have been given hands to do many of the things that I am talking about and it is actually disrespecting our creator that we may use our feet to do something that we have been given hands for.

Most of this adds up...but then still why is it still considered disrespectful to put your feet up onto something such as a coffee table. Seriously I know its just a coffee table, and some of you may not see a problem with that at all but some people will...

What do you all think about your feet? Did our prophet show us that our feet are 'lesser' than the rest of our bodies? Are there any hadiths to reflect that there is no issue with feet?

Regards,

Your brother in Islam,

Salam.

PropellerAds

as salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I'm going to leave this for someone else, but I think that after reading this lol we can safely say that we've covered just about every single (Islamic) topic on this forum. :D

wassalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh

Edited by Haqqul_Yaqeen

:D

I know its such an insignificant issue, but I was thinking about it at work and I thought I'd ask the question. No harm in that, but I agree almost every Islamic topic has been raised here on this forum...

Salam

Assalamu Alaikum!

As Muslims, we need to do everything in a dignified manner. Doing stuff with ur feet instead of ur hands seems very undignified to me. I don't really see that much wrong with closing the door with ur feet, as long as ur wearing socks or ur feet are super clean. I don't think anyone should get that offended if someone's foot accidently touches them but if it's done on purpose that's just weird, lol.

As for touching the Qur'an with one's foot, that's just plain wrong no matter how squeaky clean ur feet are. It's a sign of disrespect, similar to stepping over or on an object or person. It mostly has to do with the meaning of it, not the actual physical action. It's kinda like sticking up ur middle finger, it's not hurting anyone (physically) but u shouldn't do it b/c over the years it has come to take on a very offensive meaning.

3 words... what a Germophobe :D

Sorry :D Neways, I believe that the touching feet thing is cultural not religious.

besides, some people like to bow to old people becaz in some cultures, old people like to pet the heads of young people. And since old people are short sometimes u have to bow. Besides that bow is still distict from bowing to God becaz it's missing the intent ( supposively the most important part of bowing).

peace :D

Edited by llogical

as-salam-alaikum,

touching feet as a mark of respect is something cultural and not religious.

feet is also a part of body but as human beings, it is basic that feet is a lower part of the body.

feet has been given to walk on , balance,etc... and not to be kept on a coffee table ,etc.....

it is people's mentality - "i want to keep my feet on a coffee table and no one should say anything to me. why they don't tell me anything if i keep my hands on the coffee table" - just teenage & immature thoughts.

grow up.

there are other important things to do than to discuss if it is right to keep feet on the coffee table....

jazakallah khair.

ma-salama.

Edited by Arif

Assalam Alaikum

Hmmmm.. don't know wht to say...

It is very absurd ques I think.. OK.. I'll ask you onething, If we EAT food from our Hands thn Why we can't EAT food by FOOT ??

Jazaak Allah Khair

Just to clear up any misunderstandings between anyone regarding this topic I would like to repost a bit of my first post:

However I do understand that we have been given hands to do many of the things that I am talking about and it is actually disrespecting our creator that we may use our feet to do something that we have been given hands for.

I agree with most of the points raised by the other brothers and sisters but this post was to find out from WHERE the idea of feet being "lower" and "disrespecting" comes from. It may simply be common sense or derived from hadith. However MY PERSONAL OPINION is that common sense is made by humans and is dependant of the environment/community and culture you are in and SOMETIMES (not always) it may not have a 100% Islamic underlying principle. Thats the only point I am trying to make, sorry if it sounded like I want to put my feet up on a coffee table and am looking for hadith to reflect this! LOL

Regards,

Your brother in Islam,

Salam.

:D / Peace to all,

What do you all think about your feet? Did our prophet show us that our feet are 'lesser' than the rest of our bodies?

I believe we all agree that every body part created by Allaah on our body has its own purpose. Eyes, mouth, nose, hands, teeth and of course feet. Every part has its own rights, and responsibility. The absense of any one of the body part would prove a challenge for the person, even if what is missing is just one simple tooth! :D So, my personal view is that there is no body part which is lesser than the other...

Most of this adds up...but then still why is it still considered disrespectful to put your feet up onto something such as a coffee table. Seriously I know its just a coffee table, and some of you may not see a problem with that at all but some people will..

I dont think the issue of disrespectful to put legs on the coffee table refers to the 'status' of the leg itself. Rather it is more of the issue of respecting the person we are with, and the generally acceptable behaviour in the society we are in. But, you are right when you say common sense is sometimes debatable.

Allaahu 'alaam.

Sis Zabrina

Rather it is more of the issue of respecting the person we are with...

The issue I have is that respect should be given (in equal amounts) to all: Young, old, man, woman, relative, stranger. This I think we all agree. So it is possible one may not have the intention for disrespect for, for example and not restricted to, putting ones feet up on a coffee table infront of your younger brother or your grandmother. People should also not jump to the assumption that raising feet, which is no more or less important that other parts of the body, is a sign of disrespecting the company that you are in. However I realise that some people from certain parts of the world would consider this disrespectful regardless of the persons intention. This takes me onto...

...and the generally acceptable behaviour in the society we are in.

This is a problem because there are things that are acceptable in one society/culture but not in another. Just to make the point again I am one of those persons who would sometimes find it disrespectful if someone (anyone!) put their keep up. I realise this as one of the 'common sense' things that I have been bought up with...I am trying to understand where this 'common sense' idea of respect originates from.

Regards,

Your brother in Islam,

Salam.

Its practiced in bangladeshi cultures and i think it comes from the hindu/indian cultures.