Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Renaissance

When Was Alcohol Prohibited?

Assalamu-Alaikum,

Brothers and sisters, would like to ask at what time was alcohol prohibited. Was it during our prophets (PBUH) time or before?. When was alcohol first used in drinks? Did people used to drink before but without alcohol? Did wine before have no alcohol?

From my knowledge, I know that alcohol is an intoxicating substance which can change the control of the human mind, and performs absurd actions. And also causes the inability to focus in prayer and read the quran. Could you add more this please.

Jazakallah.

PropellerAds

:D

would like to ask at what time was alcohol prohibited. Was it during our prophets (PBUH) time or before?.
Yes it was during the Prophet :s:'s time. As the Quran was being revealed part by part, eventually they got to the part where they said not to do wine and gambling and thats when the local arabs threw out all their wine!

:D as for the other questions, i'm sure someone else can answer you :D

The Arab before Islam were very fond of Alcoholic beverages .To eradicate this pervasive evil from society, Allah exalted and high (S.W.T) adopted a wise course of education and training prohibiting it in measured stages. First, He made it clear to them that the harm of drinking wine is greater than its benefit; next, He told them not to come to Salat while intoxicated; and finally, He revealed the verse in Surah Al-Maidah which prohibited it totally and decisively:

“O you who believe! Truly, intoxicants and gambling

dedication of stones and divination by arrows are

an abdomination of Satan’s doing avoid it in order

that you may be successful. Assuredly Satan desire

to sow enmity and hatred among you with intoxicants

and gambling, and to hinder you from the remembrance

of Allah and from Salat. Will you not then desist?" (5:90-91)

The response of the Muslims to these verses was remarkable indeed. At the time some people were drinking, with partly-filled cups in their hands. As soon as they heard someone announcing, “Wine has indeed been prohibited,” they poured the remaining drinks upon the ground and broke the big clay pots in which other drinks were being fermented

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamweb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=15341"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamweb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ver2/archive/artic...lang=E&id=15341[/url]

minds. It says in the hadeeth, “Every intoxicant is khamr, and every khamr is haraam (forbidden).” If this is the case, then alcohol is considered to be forbidden and to come under the heading of “khamr”(wine, etc.) which people drink for relaxation or enjoyment. Allaah has forbidden it and stated that it is a sin, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit’”

[al-Baqarah 2:219]

If sin is present and it is great, then it is forbidden. Undoubtedly this alcohol is harmful to the mind and body, and Allaah has forbidden everything that harms the body and mind, and saps the strength.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=7327&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ln=eng&d...e&QR=7327&dgn=4[/url]

And Allaah :D knows best

I say, drink and be merry. What the heck is the difference?

Do you think that anyone gives a hoot, let alone some omnipotent being? Don't be so self-serving as to think you really matter one iota in the cosmos. You don't. You live, you die. That's it. :D

Do you think that anyone gives a hoot, let alone some omnipotent being? Don't be so self-serving as to think you really matter one iota in the cosmos. You don't. You live, you die. That's it. :D

I'll take this opportunity to welcome you to our community, and to also remind you to always observe our rules. This Is an Islamic Forum, therefore, don not preach anything that goes against Islam...

Real tough coming on an Islamic forum and telling us what to do. You can go ahead and be merry with your wine. Don't tell us to do it.