Islamic Forum
3dshocker

Sense Of Humour In Islam

What's it like? I haven't heard too many good things about it, so I wanna hear what the ppl on the forum have to say about the bounds on humour in Islam?

PropellerAds
What's it like? I haven't heard too many good things about it, so I wanna hear what the ppl on the forum have to say about the bounds on humour in Islam?

In my opinion these are some of the No No's:

excessive humour

sadistic jokes

disrespectful/hurtful Jokes

vulgar Jokes

Etc

Here is a smilar thread about sarcasm

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30531&hl="]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=30531&hl=[/url]

peace

Edited by llogical

Ahh..I just love humor, cant live without it as a matter of fact...

The Prophet (pbuh) said excessive laughter deadens the heart.

I prefer light sarcasm (non mocking kind is cool) if u have experieced it, you'll know what i'm talking about ..if not you'll condemn it only because precious wikepedia has a negative definition :D

I agree with llogical, those listed above are big no no's.

So yep join in, in the sarcasm discussion. I was meaning to resurrect it, but really got somewhat frustrated at people just not getting it. (no wonder I'm never in this section)

Rules of Joking in Islam

Some people joke too much and it becomes a habit for them. This is the opposite of the serious nature which is the characteristic of the believers. Joking is a break, a rest from ongoing seriousness and striving; it is a little relaxation for the soul. ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Fear joking, for it is folly and generates grudges.”

Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The kind of joking which is forbidden is that which is excessive and persistent, for it leads to too much laughter and hardening of the heart, it distracts from remembrance of Allaah, and it often leads to hurt feelings, generates hatred and causes people to lose respect and dignity. But whoever is safe from such dangers, then that which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do is permissible for him.”

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas said: “Set a limit to your jokes, for going to extremes makes you lose respect and incites the foolish against you.”

The amount of joking should be like the amount of salt in one’s food.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.” (Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7312)

‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever laughs too much or jokes too much loses respect, and whoever persists in doing something will be known for it.”

So beware of joking, for it “causes a person to lose face after he was thought of as respectable, and it brings him humiliation after esteem.”

A man said to Sufyaan ibn ‘Uyaynah (may Allaah be pleased with him), “Joking is not right, it is to be denounced.” He replied, “Rather it is Sunnah, but only for those who know how to do it and do it at the appropriate time.”

Nowadays, although the ummah needs to increase the love between its individual members and to relieve itself of boredom, it has gone too far with regard to relaxation, laughter and jokes. This has become a habit which fills their gatherings and wastes their time, so their lives are wasted and their newspapers are filled with jokes and trivia.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If you knew what I know, you would laugh little and weep much.” In Fath al-Baari it says: “What is meant by knowledge here has to do with the might of Allaah and His vengeance upon those who disobey Him, and the terrors that occur at death, in the grave and on the Day of Resurrection).

Muslim men and women have to be inclined to choose righteous and serious friends in their lives, who will help them to make good use of their time and strive for the sake of Allaah with seriousness and steadfastness, good and righteous people whose example they can follow. Bilaal ibn Sa’d said: “I saw them [the Sahaabah] jokingly pretending to fight over some goods, and laughing with one another, but when night came they were like monks.”

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked, “Did the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) laugh?” He said, “Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.”

So you have to follow the example of such people, who were knights by day and monks (i.e., devoted worshippers) by night.

May Allaah keep us, you and our parents safe on the Day of the Greatest Terror, those to whom the call will go out on that great Day:

“Enter Paradise, no fear shall be on you, nor shall you grieve”

[al-A’raaf 7:49 – interpretation of the meaning]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamcan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cgi-bin/increaseiman/htmlfiles/static/113159680730468.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamcan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cgi-bin/increaseim...680730468.shtml[/url]

Obtained from (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamisforyou(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamisforyou(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

Ahh..I just love humor, cant live without it as a matter of fact...

The Prophet (pbuh) said excessive laughter deadens the heart.

Why is excessive humour such a bad thing? Laughter is great medicine for stress you know? Does this also mean there is no such thing as an Islamic comedian?

disrespectful/hurtful Jokes

Most jokes are disrespectful however due to oversensitivy by people don't you think? I'm not encouraging "your mama" jokes, but a "your mama" joke shouldn't land you in hot water?

vulgar Jokes

What's wrong with these ones? Their just like the previous ones, though I'd prefer them used with discretion and only arround the appropriate age group.

These restrictions limit the humour to childrens level of humour don't you think? Nothing remotely offensive or controversial?

Edited by 3dshocker

saalam

A Palestinian suspect was being grilled by israeli police. "Honest, I'm not a suicide bomber," he said. "I didn't say I wanted to blow myself up so I could sleep with 72 virgins. All I said was I'm dying to get laid!"

no offence was meant.

Excessive laughter:

1) You end up forgetting why you laugh - thus it is not the truth of laughter.

2) The Laughing Crowd theory - you laugh because the crowd is laughing - thus it is not the truth of laughter.

3) You laugh for other reasons other than the actual joke - thus it is not the truth of laughter.

Why is excessive humour such a bad thing? Laughter is great medicine for stress you know? Does this also mean there is no such thing as an Islamic comedian?

Most jokes are disrespectful however due to oversensitivy by people don't you think? I'm not encouraging "your mama" jokes, but a "your mama" joke shouldn't land you in hot water?

What's wrong with these ones? Their just like the previous ones, though I'd prefer them used with discretion and only arround the appropriate age group.

These restrictions limit the humour to childrens level of humour don't you think? Nothing remotely offensive or controversial?

In my opinion/experience ...Islam advocate humbleness and a formal environment.

A polite manner that's conservative. This leaves little room for Mamma jokes etc.

Cursing and vulgarity is not promoted even amongst well aquainted friends.

It may conflict with liberal mentality but it is what it is.

Peace :D

1) You end up forgetting why you laugh - thus it is not the truth of laughter.

It's never happened to me or anyone I know with the exception of old people but they got memory probs as it is. Regardless though, whats particularily wrong with forgetting why you were laughing?

2) The Laughing Crowd theory - you laugh because the crowd is laughing - thus it is not the truth of laughter.

not exactly true, fake laughter shows through easily and that has nothing to do with humour, its about sociability etc.

3) You laugh for other reasons other than the actual joke - thus it is not the truth of laughter.

Well aside from a joke leading to another humorous event or memory, I don't see how this could happen? Even so, what's wrong with laughing for something other then the actual joke?

It may conflict with liberal mentality but it is what it is.

that it does.

Edited by 3dshocker

Assalamu alaikum

I have jokes by Rasulullah sas, his companions and our pious predecessors in urdu. The purpose was just to create a healthy and harmonial environment.

But today what we hear is racism, like creating jokes on a particular community, group etc. Which is forbidden in Islam. I move among pious scholars here in my country they do make some light comments which makes the environment fresh and healthy ; specially while having food.

I remember one companion (whose name I cannot recall now). He use to make Rasulullah SAS smile. The companions objected to that saying it dissolves the seriousness of the majlis. He replied I see Rasulullah SAS face and feel like bringing some freshness on his face so I use few light comments. You have so many A'maal which can take you to jannah. Atleast I have this art, let me use this to get some benefits. Don't deprive me of this. On this Rasulullah SAS agreed.

shukran

I remember one companion (whose name I cannot recall now). He use to make Rasulullah SAS smile. The companions objected to that saying it dissolves the seriousness of the majlis. He replied I see Rasulullah SAS face and feel like bringing some freshness on his face so I use few light comments. You have so many A'maal which can take you to jannah. Atleast I have this art, let me use this to get some benefits. Don't deprive me of this. On this Rasulullah SAS agreed.

Assalam Alaikum

Jazaak Allah Khair Sister Mehnaz for the Clearing the views on the Humour in Islam and Brother Ahamed Sharif for the above mentioned hadith because I never heard this before.

May Allah (SWT) reward you both for sharing this with us :D

With the name of Allah (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

I read few hadiths where the last Prophet (p) jokingly said something but those were not lies..i.e . he never lied even when he was joking.

An old lady asked if she will go to heaven . The Prophet (p) answered , no old lady will go enter Paradise. Naturally , she was disappointed. Then the Prophet (p) explained that those who will enter the garden will become young .

I found a joke in the following site , want to share with u all.

Salaam alaikum,

Here's a good one. No offence to anyone, ok?

A man dashes into the Pope's office, panting, gasping, and trying to speak all at once.

"What's the matter?" the Pope asks, offering the man a seat.

"Oh your Grace!" the man exclaims, flopping on the chair. "I have good news and I have bad news. Which would you like to hear first?"

"Give me the good news," the Pope says.

"Oh your Grace! JESUS is on the phone and he wants to speak to you!" the panting man exclaims.

"Praise the Lord!" the jublilant Pope replies, "What could the bad news possibly be?"

"Your Grace, he's calling from Makkah!"

&&

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.beliefnet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/boards/message_list.asp?discussionID=659"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.beliefnet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/boards/message_li...iscussionID=659[/url]

Edited by bluesky

salaams

I didn't get the joke. :D

With the name of Allah (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

I read few hadiths where the last Prophet (p) jokingly said something but those were not lies..i.e . he never lied even when he was joking.

An old lady asked if she will go to heaven . The Prophet (p) answered , no old lady will go enter Paradise. Naturally , she was disappointed. Then the Prophet (p) explained that those who will enter the garden will become young .

I found a joke in the following site , want to share with u all.

Salaam alaikum,

Here's a good one. No offence to anyone, ok?

A man dashes into the Pope's office, panting, gasping, and trying to speak all at once.

"What's the matter?" the Pope asks, offering the man a seat.

"Oh your Grace!" the man exclaims, flopping on the chair. "I have good news and I have bad news. Which would you like to ehar first?"

"Give me the good news," the Pope says.

"Oh your Grace! JESUS is on the phone and he wants to speak to you!" the panting man exclaims.

"Praise the Lord!" the jublilant Pope replies, "What could the bad news possibly be?"

"Your Grace, he's calling form Makkah!"

&&

(www.)"beliefnet/boards/message_list.asp?discussionID=659"]beliefnet/boards/message_li...iscussionID=659[/url]

your sensitivity towards religious jokes doesn't extend to religions other then your own? bit hypocritical isn't it?

With the name of Allah ( God Almighty ) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continuously Merciful

&&&

your sensitivity towards religious jokes doesn't extend to religions other then your own? bit hypocritical isn't it?

Geeeeeee, why r u so upset ? Browse Christians sites, u will find a lotta jokes on Church funnies , Catholic kids write funny things etc, etc. Read Readers Digest , u will get so many jokes on Church , Prophets (pbut ) including Jesus (p) ----these are all non-Muslims sources.

So, why are so upset with this joke ? Yes , we Muslims don't degrade Prophets (pbut ) but here what's so insulting about Jesus (p) ? If u want , i can show many jokes on Jesus (p) from Readers Digest or Christian sites .

With the name of Allah ( God Almighty ) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continuously Merciful

&&&

salaams

I didn't get the joke. :D

wait for 3dshocker's reply.....may be , his explanation will help u to understand the joke.

Salaams

wait for 3dshocker's reply.....may be , his explanation will help u to understand the joke.

Okie Dokie.. :D

I gotta Jesus Joke. :D

Satan and Jesus have a bet to see who knows computer better.

SO they ask god to be the judge.

God tells them that they each get 2 minutes to show off their computer skills.

They both go at it:

They Boot up the PC... word processing, printing faxing, programming etc etc etc and while they are doing all that, God turns the electricity off and then on.Shortly afterwards, He announces that Jesus won.

Satan starts to whine and complain that he lost all the work and that God is playing favors bcaz how can Jesus win.

God smiles and answers..."Jesus Saves"

:D :D

Peace

&&&

Geeeeeee, why r u so upset ? Browse Christians sites, u will find a lotta jokes on Church funnies , Catholic kids write funny things etc, etc. Read Readers Digest , u will get so many jokes on Church , Prophets (pbut ) including Jesus (p) ----these are all non-Muslims sources.

So, why are so upset with this joke ? Yes , we Muslims don't degrade Prophets (pbut ) but here what's so insulting about Jesus (p) ? If u want , i can show many jokes on Jesus (p) from Readers Digest or Christian sites .

most of that is actually my line ~ the joke is basically a jab at christianity by saying jesus is back but it turns out the muslim story regarding jesus is true and the christian story is false. You honestly don't think a christian as devoted to christianity as you are to Islam would find this offensive? Basically you have no problem making jokes that essentially say all other religions are false and Islam is true. Yet if someone did the exact same towards yours i.e. "muhammad was just some nut claiming to be a prophet of god" you'd get all riled up? You don't think this is hypocritical?

anywho, I'm not upset over the joke itself, just at how hypocritical you seem when you don't want others to offend you, while you'd blatantly offend everyone else by making jokes about how your religion is true and there's is not.

anywayz I find it all funny ^_^

Edited by 3dshocker

most of that is actually my line ~ the joke is basically a jab at christianity by saying jesus is back but it turns out the muslim story regarding jesus is true and the christian story is false.

thx...now i can sleep better :D

&&&

most of that is actually my line ~ the joke is basically a jab at christianity by saying jesus is back but it turns out the muslim story regarding jesus is true and the christian story is false. You honestly don't think a christian as devoted to christianity as you are to Islam would find this offensive? Basically you have no problem making jokes that essentially say all other religions are false and Islam is true. Yet if someone did the exact same towards yours i.e. "muhammad was just some nut claiming to be a prophet of god" you'd get all riled up? You don't think this is hypocritical?

anywho, I'm not upset over the joke itself, just at how hypocritical you seem when you don't want others to offend you, while you'd blatantly offend everyone else by making jokes about how your religion is true and there's is not.

anywayz I find it all funny ^_^

&&&

U have to consider the motive. When Christians write something about the last Prophet (p) , they do it with evil intention ----that is to degrade Prophet Muhammed (p). We ( Muslims ) are not allowed to degrade Prophet Jesus (p) as he is one of the mightiest Messengers of One true God.

I explained to u earlier that Christians regularly publish & enjoy jokes on Jesus (p). Believe me , i read some jokes in Reader's Digest on Jesus (p) & other Prophets (pbut) those i did not like. I m writing one from memory----

At the gate of Eden , Jesus (p) is taking interview of the people. An old man said, i had a son , kids all over the world loved him so much. Jesus (p) cried out , papa ?? The old man also cried out , Pinnochio ? ( not sure about spelling ).

I also heard about an ad where to get a car, Jesus (p) gambled with devil. If Christians can write & publish so many Jokes on Jesus (p) like the mentioned above , if they can make ad on Jesus (p) with devil & do not find these offensive , then the simple joke ' Good news, Bad news ' must not upset them. If it does , then u should called it ' double standard ' .

Guest amani

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=154"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=154[/url]

check out gawahers own *just for fun* section

That's not a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny, and that was far from it.

There is nothing wrong with laughing. In fact, there is large amount of scientific evidence which shows that laughing is incredibly beneficial.

Salaams

U have to consider the motive. When Christians write something about the last Prophet (p) , they do it with evil intention ----that is to degrade Prophet Muhammed (p).
If Christians can write & publish so many Jokes on Jesus (p) like the mentioned above , if they can make ad on Jesus (p) with devil & do not find these offensive , then the simple joke ' Good news, Bad news ' must not upset them. If it does , then u should called it ' double standard ' .

If christians don't spare Jesus..then why would U expect them to spare the last prophet??? :D

That's not double standards bcaz doublestandards would be " I can make fun of your prophet..BUt you can't make fun of mines"

Neither Christians or Muslims say that.

What 3d was trying to say was..."If I frown upon some one making mockery out of my beliefe, then I would not make mockery out of some one else's belief". So If you want people to leave Prophet Muhammad out of Jokes, then let's leave Jesus, Moses, BUdha out of Jokes as well.

Peace

What 3d was trying to say was..."If I frown upon some one making mockery out of my beliefe, then I would not make mockery out of some one else's belief". So If you want people to leave Prophet Muhammad out of Jokes, then let's leave Jesus, Moses, BUdha out of Jokes as well.

Peace

precisely, but ofcourse I would not bend my will to such leanings, as I like to have an uncensored sense of humour. The best I can offer is that I tend to make fun of everything and anything - sound fair? Or are you going to start telling me what I can and cannot makes jokes about? Then try to enforce it :D ? This my friend is something I'd be willing to go to war if you wanted your way so badly. I'm not willing to give up an inch of my freedom.

Edited by 3dshocker

I'm not willing to give up an inch of my freedom.

How about 9/10 of an inch? :D

There is nothing wrong with laughing. In fact, there is large amount of scientific evidence which shows that laughing is incredibly beneficial.

References please..U got over 50 posts..posts some links :D

btw I think I agree with that. :D

Edited by llogical