Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zukiful

Contradictions In The Koran: Free Will Or Predestination?

saalam

Contradictions in the Koran: Free Will or Predestination?

The omnipotence of God is everywhere asserted in the Koran; man's will is totally subordinate to God's will to the extent that man cannot be said to have a will of his own. Even those who disbelieve in Him, disbelieve because it is God who wills them to disbelieve. This leads to the Muslim doctrine of predestination which prevails over the doctrine of man's free-will, also to be found in the Koran. As Macdonald says, " the contradictory statements of the Kuran on free-will and predestination show that Muhammad was an opportunist preacher and politician and not a systematic theologian."

"Taqdir, or the absolute decree of good and evil, is the sixth article of the Muhammadan creed, and the orthodox believe that whatever has, or shall come to pass in this world, whether it be good or bad, proceeds entirely from the Divine Will, and has been irrevocably fixed and recorded on a preserved tablet by the pen of fate." Here are some quotes from the Koran illustrating this doctrine :

liv. 49 All things have been created after fixed decree

iii.139 No one can die except by God's permission according to the book that fixes the term of life.

lxxxvii.2 The Lord has created and balanced all things and has fixed their destinies and guided them

viii.17 God killed them, and those shafts were God's, not yours

ix. 51 By no means can anything befall us but what God has destined for us

xiii.30 All sovereignty is in the hands of God

xiv.4 God misleads whom He will and whom He will He guides

xviii.101 The infidels whose eyes were veiled from my warning and had no power to hear

xxxii.32 If We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but now My Word is realised - 'I shall fill Hell with jinn and men together.'

xlv.26 Say unto them, O Muhammad: Allah gives life to to you, then causes you to die, then gathers you unto the day of resurrection...

lvii.22 No disaster occurs on earth or accident in yourselves which was not already recorded in the Book before we created them

But there are, inevitably, some passages from the Koran which seem to give man some kind of free-will :

lxxiv. 54 /55 Nay, it is surely a Reminder. So whovever pleases may mind it.

lxxvi.3 We have truly shown him the way; he may be thankful or unthankful.

lxxvi.29 Surely this is a Reminder; so whoever will, let him take a way to his Lord.

xli.16 As to Thamud, We vouchsafed them also guidance, but to guidance did they prefer blindness

xviii.28 The truth is from your Lord : let him then who will, believe; and let him who will, be an unbeliever

But as Wensinck, in his classic "The Muslim Creed", said, in Islam it is predestination that ultimately predominates. There is not a single tradition that advocates free-will, and we have the further evidence of John of Damascus, who "flourished in the middle of the eight century A.D, and who was well acquainted with Islam. According to him the difference regarding predestination and free-will is one of the chief points of divergence between Christianity and Islam." It is evident that, towards the end of his life, Muhammad's predestinarian position hardened; and "the earliest conscious Muslim attitude on the subject seems to have been of an uncompromising fatalism."

PropellerAds

:D / Peace to all,

Insya'Allaah the reading here shall shed some lights on this issue. Please click on the link for full article...

The writing is of two types: one kind which cannot be altered or changed, which is what is in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz, and a type which may be altered or changed, which is in the hands of the angels. And the ultimate outcome is what is written in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz. This is one of the meanings of the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah blots out what He wills and confirms (what He wills). And with Him is the Mother of the Book (Al Lawh Al Mahfooz)â€

[al-Ra’d 13:39]

Hence we can understand what was narrated in the Sunnah, that upholding family ties increases one’s lifespan or increases one’s provision; or that du’aa’ can alter the divine decree. For Allaah knows whether His slave will uphold the ties of kinship or make du’aa’, so He writes in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz that this person will have more provision or a longer life span.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah was asked:

Can provision increase or decrease? Is provision what a person eats or possesses?

He replied:

Provision is of two types:

1 – That which Allaah knows He will provide, which cannot be changed.

2 – That which He has prescribed and told to the angels. This may increase or decrease depending on causes. If Allaah commands the angels to write provision for a person if he upholds the ties of kinship, Allaah will increase his provision because of that. It was proven in al-Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever would like his provision to be increased and his life span to be extended, let him uphold the ties of kinship.†Similarly the life span of Dawood was extended by sixty years and Allaah made it one hundred years, after it was originally forty. This is as ‘Umar said: “O Allaah, if you have decreed that I am to be doomed, then erase that and make me one of those who are to be blessed, because You blot out whatever You will and confirm whatever You will.†Similarly Allaah said of Nooh (interpretation of the meaning):

“That you should worship Allaah (Alone), fear (be dutiful to) Him, and obey me,

He (Allaah) will forgive you of your sins and respite you to an appointed termâ€

[Nooh 71:3-4(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=43021&dgn=4"]Source[/url]]

Allaahu 'alaam

Sis Zabrina

NB : Topic was moved from Basic Islamic Discussion by me 18/7/2006

salamz

So what u saying? are there contradictions or Quran just addresses it too vaguely?

Also checkout a similar thread (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=31588"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=31588[/url]

peace

They are not mutually exclusive.

We have free will, but still Allah subhana wa ta'la knew how we would act, think, and feel even before He created the world. Allah subhana wa ta'la is not depending on time, He created time.

They are not mutually exclusive.

We have free will, but still Allah subhana wa ta'la knew how we would act, think, and feel even before He created the world. Allah subhana wa ta'la is not depending on time, He created time.

If human free will and devine freewill are not mutually exclusive then it's logically impossible for human free will to be truely free.

Peace

Bismillahirrahmaanerraheem

Allah is at the same time in the past, as in the future. He can see us right now, one second later, ten seconds later, a minute later, an hour later, 50 years later, and a year ago, two years ago, three years ago.

All the actions that we have done in the past, and that we will do in the future can be seen by Allah. Allah can even see our atoms, cells, bones, skin and everything, all at once.

There is none like him. We are all creation, He is the creator.

Peace unto those who follow the Guidance

Allah is at the same time in the past, as in the future. He can see us right now, one second later, ten seconds later, a minute later, an hour later, 50 years later, and a year ago, two years ago, three years ago.

All the actions that we have done in the past, and that we will do in the future can be seen by Allah. Allah can even see our atoms, cells, bones, skin and everything, all at once.

There is none like him. We are all creation, He is the creator.

salamz

i was wondering ...how does this relate to freewill or predestination ? :D

peace

Edited by llogical

My post was meant to explain brother Abdul-Ghafaar's post - in other words, I was giving more explanation about what he posted.

Sister Zabrina already answered the question on predestination.

(sorry about the mistake)

Edited by newnew

Brother Zabrina already answered the question on predestination.

Sl

U mean sis Zabrina :D

I just reread the post and didn't find the answer...plus the source link

doesn't work, but that's fine I think I found the answer.

Peace

You did??

salamz

Not really....The answer I was thinking of was "there is no answer".

But I knowthat can't be since I believe on "there is always an answer" theory.

I just didn't want Bro newnew to say things that are oldold and it's not polite to say "Save it Sargeant". ( no disrespect to bro newnew :D)

It's just that most people have a low threshold for deep hair splitting discussions about Islam and theer are certain things they take for granted and consider taboos.

So after a while they are like.."leave me alone Kafir, U will never get it"

Like my bro who I think is a genius but doesn't like to talk about Islam.

So...yeah I am still excited about the scholar thing. :D

(dag..I do write essays in response to a line :D )

peace

salamz

Not really....The answer I was thinking of was "there is no answer".

But I knowthat can't be since I believe on "there is always an answer" theory.

I just didn't want Bro newnew to say things that are oldold and it's not polite to say "Save it Sargeant". ( no disrespect to bro newnew :D)

It's just that most people have a low threshold for deep hair splitting discussions about Islam and theer are certain things they take for granted and consider taboos.

So after a while they are like.."leave me alone Kafir, U will never get it"

Like my bro who I think is a genius but doesn't like to talk about Islam.

So...yeah I am still excited about the scholar thing. :D

(dag..I do write essays in response to a line :D )

peace

Besmellah Elrahman Elraheeem

who said that there is No answer, i can prove it for you, so you can have more open mind, take that story and try to understand it, if a father told his son to go bring some things for home and ordered him not to be late or he will punish him, then after the son went away, the father went to his spouse and said even what i said to our son he still will be late, she asked him how?!!!, he said , your son will go to the market to buy things from there then on his way he will find his mates playing football on his way cuz they play at that time everyday , and they will convince him to play for little time even he is in Hurry , but he wont say no cuz he loves football soo much, then he will come late, the son as what his father said came late and he punished him , so let me ask you, Did Father Knoledge afected the free will of his son, do the son believed that it's his dad Predestination?!!! , do son deserve punishment, the dad knowledge were wrong about his son? the son believe rescued him from punishment?!! . hope you understood

Edited by 7ai_3la_Alsalah

Besmellah Elrahman Elraheeem

who said that there is No answer, i can prove it for you, so you can have more open mind, take that story and try to understand it, if a father told his son to go bring some things for home and ordered him not to be late or he will punish him, then after the son went away, the father went to his spouse and said even what i said to our son he still will be late, she asked him how?!!!, he said , your son will go to the market to buy things from there then on his way he will find his mates playing football on his way cuz they play at that time everyday , and they will convince him to play for little time even he is in Hurry , but he wont say no cuz he loves football soo much, then he will come late, the son as what his father said came late and he punished him , so let me ask you, Did Father Knoledge afected the free will of his son, do the son believed that it's his dad Predestination?!!! , do son deserve punishment, the dad knowledge were wrong about his son? the son believe rescued him from punishment?!! . hope you understood

Salams

good analogy..honestly.... but only if it were that simple.

If you read the first part of the thread ( no sarcasm ) then u'll see what i mean.

Free will is only an illusion since God does intervene.

The blindness veil is an example.

I can explain everything all over but i'm sure that half way down the discussion, u'll

just tell me to go sit on volcano or something. :D

Still if u think u have the anserr that doesn't involve circular logic or a religious premise I'll be willing to listen with an open mind.

peace

Edited by llogical

So...yeah I am still excited about the scholar thing.

I've e-mailed more than one scholar with your question. No, not because it is a "tough question" but I just want to get a quick reply, so I figured, e-mail more than one. :D

Oh, and I might need your e-mail address....so if you can, please PM it to me when you see this post.

And, although I do enjoy your essays, don't write another one in the PM, lest you get lost in your rambling and forget to include the actual e-mail address, hehe. :D

You said "only if it were that simple" and I hope that soon you will realize just how simple it truly is.

I've e-mailed more than one scholar with your question. No, not because it is a "tough question" but I just want to get a quick reply, so I figured, e-mail more than one. :D

thanx ..and Good call :D.... though I hope u are not spamming on my behalf :D

You said "only if it were that simple" and I hope that soon you will realize just how simple it truly is.

Ok, so i maybe desne ..but in my defense ( cool that rhymes :D )

If the truth really was that simple then why would over 4 billion people be like this :D

Ne ways, I'll pm u my email adress, no essays I promise. :D

peace

If human free will and devine freewill are not mutually exclusive then it's logically impossible for human free will to be truely free.

Peace

Call it what you want, but I don't see how it is illogical, since it is free just that Allah already knows how we will act doesnt mean that we dont decide it for ourselfs.

I have been thinking about it alot, and I have came to realise that this is a fully understandable theory, atleast to me. And even if one doesn't understand, that doesn't mean that it's illogical in the sight of Allah.

salamz

i was wondering ...how does this relate to freewill or predestination ? :D

peace

What he wrote has to do with it alot, since he is telling you that Allah is not dependent of time, and therefore our free will doesnt effect his awareness of past, present and future.

And since Allah already knows how we will act you could say that it is predestined.

We as human beings are very limited, and time factors still confuses us til this day.

How can something be eternal, and how can something not be eternal.. thats the question nobody can answer and get people or themselfs to understand it.

Call it what you want, but I don't see how it is illogical, since it is free just that Allah already knows how we will act doesnt mean that we dont decide it for ourselfs.

I have been thinking about it alot, and I have came to realise that this is a fully understandable theory, atleast to me. And even if one doesn't understand, that doesn't mean that it's illogical in the sight of Allah.

Bro just scroll up and read what Zukiful (the topic starter) pointed out.

There is no disputing to what u stated, I agree that God may know our will without

influencing it and that does make sense, however there is evidence that suggests that God does intervene.

How can we have a freewill if we can only will what Allah wills.

"But you cannot will, unless Allah wills." (Qur'an76, 30)

How can we learn something if we have been dammned with a seal that repells truth

"As to those who reject Faith, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe.Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom. (Quran 2,07)

There are more of such instances which suggest that we act according to God's hard coded blueprint and not according to our own will.

This has nothing to do with what god knows or not but rather what God manipulates.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchquran.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchquran.html[/url]

Peace

Greetings of peace

llogical,

Gee, you love to inquire! I admire it, however as human servants of the All-Knowing we must learn to understand a crucial teaching of the Wise Qur'an: the fact that humankind is not meant to grasp the nature of all divine truth until the Day of Judgement. It is a part of our trial.

True enough, we shall not will until the Lord Most High wills. Simultaneiously, we possess freedom of will to a certain extent. Not only does God (great and glorious is He) know the past, present and future, He indeed pre-determined all things to occur, while granting us the attribute of free will. This is the truth the human mind is incapable of comprehending before the Last Day. It has been narrated that even the great Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself denied having any knowledge concerning the function of the combination of divine decree and the freedom to act according to one's intention.

How then, is it possible for the laity to be given mystical knowledge the Prophets themselves lacked? Anyone who claims to possess this knowledge is either decieved or a deliberate deceiver. Consider the following revelation:

Of knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you (O men!) (Al-Isra 85)

Regarding your second concern about belief in falsehood and rejection of revelation, never will God (exalted and praised is He) mislead a sincere seeker of truth, unless he/she arrogantly denies reality despite witnessing it's proof.

Allah (God) disdains not to use the similitude of things, lowest as well as highest. Those who believe know that it is truth from their Lord; but those who reject Faith say: "What means Allah by this similitude?" By it He causes many to stray, and many He leads into the right path; but He causes not to stray, except those who forsake (the path). (Al-Baqarah: 26)

All the best,

Joseph

the fact that humankind is not meant to grasp the nature of all divine truth until the Day of Judgement. It is a part of our trial.

Salamz

Thanx Captain, looks like u got quite an eye for talent ( just kidding :D )

Not the first time I heard such explaination, but I think what u say only applies in extreme cases..Like trying to figure out how old is God...etc..

Besides that here is why it doesn't hold up in this context.

If we are not capable of understanding something, then How are we responsible for it?

If the nature of the divine can't be understood then how can we distinguish/know/understand and follow the divine.

In other ways , if there we are not capable of sight, how can we distinguish one color from another?

I don't feel inclined to believe that this life is a sick joke on God's part.

Peace

Edited by llogical

:D

About Free will or predestination;

Look from this point of view,

Divine Determining and the power of choice are aspects of a belief pertaining to state and conscience which show the final limits of Islam and belief; they are not theoretical and do not pertain to knowledge. That is to say, a believer attributes everything to Almighty God, even his actions and self, till finally the power of choice confronts him and he is not saved from obligation and responsibility. It tells him: "You are responsible and under obligation." Then, so that he does not become proud due to the good things and perfections which issue from him, Divine Determining confronts him, saying: "Know your limits; the one who does them is not you." Yes, Divine Determining and the power of choice are at the final degrees of belief and Islam; the former has entered among the matters of belief to save the soul from pride, and latter, to save it from lack of responsibility. To cling to Divine Determining so that obdurate evil-commanding souls may save themselves from the responsibility of the evils they have committed, and to take pride and become conceited on account of the virtues bestowed on them and to rely on the power of choice, are actions totally opposed to the mystery of Divine Determining and wisdom of the power of choice; they are not matters pertaining to knowledge which give rise to such actions.

Indeed, among ordinary people who have not progressed spiritually there are occasions when Divine Determining may be used, but those are calamities and disasters when it is the remedy for despair and grief. It should not be used for rebellion and in matters of the future so that it becomes a cause of dissipation and idleness. That is to say, the question of Divine Determining has not entered belief to save people from obligation and responsibility, but to save them from pride and conceit. While the power of choice has entered among the tenets of faith to be the source of evils, not to be the source of virtues, so that people become Pharaohs.

The All-Just and Wise One, to Whose wisdom and justice the universe testifies with the tongue of order and balance, gave to man a power of choice of unknown nature which would be the means of reward and punishment for him. Just as we do not know many of the numerous aspects of the All-Just and Wise One's wisdom, our not knowing how the power of choice is compatible with Divine Determining does not prove that it is not so. Of necessity everyone perceives in himself a will and choice; he knows it through his conscience. To know the nature of beings is one thing, to know they exist is something different. There are many things which although their existence is self-evident for us, their true nature is not known by us... Thus, the power of choice may be included among these. Everything is not restricted to what we know. Our not knowing does not prove they do not exist.The power of choice is not opposed to Divine Determining, indeed, Divine Determining corroborates the power of choice. Because Divine Determining is a sort of Divine Knowledge. Divine Knowledge is connected with our will and choice, in which case it corroborates it, it does not nullify it.

peace

:D

Edited by vdtwo

Look from this point of view,

Divine Determining and the power of choice are aspects of a belief pertaining to state and conscience which show the final limits of Islam and belief; they are not theoretical and do not pertain to knowledge.

Salamz

No offense bro but your explaination is getting lost in words.

I don't understand how your post addresses human will vs divine will or predestination.

Maybe if u give examples it would make more sense to me.

For instance, one example I gave was...God tells us that we have free will in choosing right from wrong, yet God chooses to blind some from seeing right this is a contradiction of freedom of choice. If you say that there is no contradiction and it may seem to us because we humans lack proper reasoning then you are saying that we can't trust our own selves which is not illogical and self refuting claim.

peace

Salamz

No offense bro but your explaination is getting lost in words.

I don't understand how your post addresses human will vs divine will or predestination.

Maybe if u give examples it would make more sense to me.

For instance, one example I gave was...God tells us that we have free will in choosing right from wrong, yet God chooses to blind some from seeing right this is a contradiction of freedom of choice. If you say that there is no contradiction and it may seem to us because we humans lack proper reasoning then you are saying that we can't trust our own selves which is not illogical and self refuting claim.

peace

Alright let me explain this, yes indeed everything, and everything is been created byr God. Even your actions, you yourself only earn your freewill. Look I now your confused, or might be confused. Yes, as the Qur'an states, man is completely responsible for his evils, for the one who wishes the evils is he. Since evils are destruction, man may perpetrate much destruction with one evil act, and he becomes deserving of an awesome punishment - like burning a house with one match. However, he does not have the right to take pride in good deeds; his right in them is extremely small. For what wants and requires the good deeds is Divine Mercy, and what creates them is Dominical Power. Both request and reply, reason and cause, are from God. Man only comes to have them through supplication, belief, consciousness, and consent. But what wants evil acts is man's soul, either through capacity or through choice. Like in the white and beautiful light of the sun some substances become black and putrefy, and the blackness is related to their capacity. But the one who creates the evils through a Divine law which comprises numerous benefits is again Almighty God. That is to say, the cause and the request are from the soul, so that it is the soul which is responsible. And as for the creation and bringing into existence, which belong to Almighty God, since they have other results and fruits which are good, they are good.It is for the above reason that to commit or desire evil is evil, but the creation of evil is not evil. A lazy man who receives damage from rain, which comprises many instances of good, may not say that the rain is not Mercy.

If you said: "Since the power of choice does not have the ability to create and man has nothing apart from inclination or desiring, which are as though theoretical, how is it that in the Qur'an of Miraculous Exposition, man is showed to be rebellious and hostile before the Creator of the heavens and the earth, Who complains greatly about him; He mobilizes Himself and all His angels to assist His believing servants against the rebellious, and attaches the greatest importance to them?"

The Answer: Because unbelief, rebellion, and evil are destruction and non-existence. However, great destruction and innumerable instances of non-existence may result in a single theoretical matter and instance of non-existence. Just as, through the helmsman of a large ship abandoning his duty, the ship may sink and the labour of all those employed on it go for nothing, and all those instances of destruction result in a single instance of non-existence, so too, since unbelief and rebellion are non-existence and destruction, the power of choice may provoke them through a theoretical matter and cause awesome consequences. For although unbelief is only one evil, since it insults the whole universe as being worthless and futile, and denies all beings, which display proofs of Divine Unity, and is contemptuous towards all the manifestations of the Divine Names, Almighty God's uttering severe complaints and awesome threats about the unbelievers in the name of the universe and all beings and the Divine Names is pure wisdom, and to give eternal punishment is pure justice

For sure, man's faculty of will and power of choice are weak and a theoretical matter, but Almighty God, the Absolutely Wise One, made that weak and partial will a condition for the connection of His universal will. That is to say, He in effect says: "My servant! Whichever way you wish to take with your will, I will take you on that way. In which case the responsibility is your's!" If the comparison is not mistaken: you take a powerless child onto your shoulders and leaving the choice to him, tell him you will take him wherever he wishes. The child wants to go to a high mountain so you take him there, but he either catches cold or falls. So of course you reprimand him, saying, "You wanted to go there", and give him a slap. Thus, Almighty God, the Firmest of Judges, makes His servant's will, which is utterly weak, a condition, and His universal will has it in view.

In short you wiish, and He creates it, but your the one who is responsible. See plus this

God tells us that we have free will in choosing right from wrong, yet God chooses to blind some from seeing right this is a contradiction of freedom of choice

everything is created by Allah theoritically, but your actions(actually wills,wishes) was responsible for it.

Edited by vdtwo

Let me add that this is pretty advance issue. I wouldnt expect you to understand it, since you must have known immense knowledge or (ie) be an erudite about the topic. My replies is actually for the sisters and brothers here.

peace

Alright let me explain this, yes indeed everything, and everything is been created byr God. Even your actions, you yourself only earn your freewill. Look I now your confused, or might be confused. Yes, as the Qur'an states, man is completely responsible for his evils, for the one who wishes the evils is he. Since evils are destruction, man may perpetrate much destruction with one evil act, and he becomes deserving of an awesome punishment - like burning a house with one match. However, he does not have the right to take pride in good deeds; his right in them is extremely small.

bro, u keep jumping from one idea to another, this has nothing to do with good deeds or bad ones. Furthermore us being responsible for our actions is not same as us being responsible for our actions that were forced upon us. If you push a man off the cliff, you are responsible for his death, but If I push you and you in turn push the man off the cliff unwillingly, then Are you responsible???

It's already established that God gave us free will.

Its also extablished that God chooses to guide whom he wills and chooses to misguide who he wills.

The later ( divine intervention)is in conflict with the first (free will) because if god chooses to misguide me, can I EVER not be misguided? Who's responsible for my mischiefs then.

peace