Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hasib

Pictures In House..

:D

What is the Islamic ruling on keeping pictures of family and self in portraits around the house??

:D for the replies in advance.

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum, I can tell you off hand that there is a Hadith saying that "The Angels of Mercy do not enter a house where in there is a Dog or is decorated with pictures of living things" which includes human beings even self portraits or pictures of family members, it would be a different thing if they are not decorated but enclosed in a box or something.

InshaAllah I will find out the Ahadeeth and post them.

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

:D Fe Dunya Wal Akhira dear Sister.

Here are some Hadith concerning this:

Narrated A'isha (Radeallahu'Anha):

(mother of the faithful believers) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle :D saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah. (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle :D said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle :D said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet :D added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

Volume 3, Book 34, Number 318.

Narrated Busr bin (Radeallahu'Anhum) Said:

That Zaid bin Khalid Al-Juhani narrated to him something in the presence of Said bin 'Ubaidullah Al-Khaulani who was brought up in the house of Maimuna the wife of the Prophet. Zaid narrated to them that Abu Talha said that the Prophet said, "The Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a picture." Busr said, "Later on Zaid bin Khalid fell ill and we called on him. To our surprise we saw a curtain decorated with pictures in his house. I said to Ubaidullah Al-Khaulani, "Didn't he (i.e. Zaid) tell us about the (prohibition of) pictures?" He said, "But he excepted the embroidery on garments. Didn't you hear him?" I said, "No." He said, "Yes, he did."

Volume 4, Book 54, Number 449.

Malik related to me from Ishaq ibn Abdullah ibn Abi Talha that Rafi ibn Ishaq, the mawla of ash-Shifa informed him that he and Abdullah ibn Abi Talha had gone to visit Abu Said al-Khudri while he was ill. Abu Said said to them, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, informed us, 'The angels do not enter a house which contains pictures or images.' " Ishaq was not sure which of them Abu Said said.

Book 54, Number 54.3.6.

etc.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamic-faith(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Introduction.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamic-faith(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Introduction.html[/url]

:DVOTE FOR YOUR MYSTERY PRIZE NOW::D

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamic-faith(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/111.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamic-faith(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/111.html[/url]

:D everyone..

Assalam Alaikum

Jazaak Allah KHair for the Hadiths here..

May Allah (SWT) reward you for sharing this with us.. ameen

What is the Islamic ruling on keeping pictures of family and self in portraits around the house??

:D for the replies in advance.

I don't know brothers, something disturbs me. To be frank, I don't see any link between the given hadiths and pictures of family and self potraits. Well after a little research I will write a more satiated text.

I don't know brothers, something disturbs me. To be frank, I don't see any link between the given hadiths and pictures of family and self potraits. Well after a little research I will write a more satiated text.

Take a look at this akhi from a reputable scholar.

Question:

Concerning pictures of parents in house. I have my own picture hanging, of my ankle and parents, what should I do with them. May Allah reward you.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You have to hasten to remove these pictures at once, because it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) strongly forbade hanging pictures, and he commanded his great Companion ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, “Do not leave any picture without blotting it out and do not leave any built-up grave without levelling it.†(Narrated by Muslim, 1/66). Hanging up pictures of animate beings deprives the people of that house of a great blessing, which is the entrance of angels into that house. It was reported from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are statues or pictures.†(Narrated by Imaam Ahmad; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1961).

You can replace them, if you wish, with pictures of inanimate objects, such as trees, mountains, oceans and other natural scenes, or other drawings of inanimate objects, without being extravagant or wasteful.

As for the pictures which are hanging, you have to remove them and blot them out or burn them; do not keep them. It is worth noting that hanging up pictures of the dead is one of the things that renews grief and serves no useful purpose; it may even lead to some kind of veneration which goes against Tawheed. Let us not forget that the shirk committed by the people of Nooh (peace be upon him) started because they set up pictures and images of some righteous people who had lived among them. So be very careful. May Allaah help us and you to do all that pleases Him and earns His forgiveness. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=7918&ln=eng&txt=hanging%20pictures"]SOURCE[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=7918&ln=eng&txt=hanging%20pictures"]SOURCE[/url]

I wouldn't use Islam-qa - see here for (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_mac.abc.se/home/onesr/f/Islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)%20typifies%20Wahhabism.html"]more[/url]

----------------

Instead, have a look at these:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=9334&CATE=15"]What do the ulema state about photography?[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2961&CATE=4"]Praying in a room full of pictures at work[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2741&CATE=153"]Photographs: please clarify where you stand[/url]

See more (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/search.asp?request=pictures&GO=GO&cat=0&index=%22d%3A%5CIndex_Store%5CQNA_Index%22&fuzzy=Yes&fuzziness=1&stemming=Yes&phonic=No&natLang=Yes&maxFiles=25&sort=Hits&HDCat=3&cmd=search&SearchForm=%25%25SearchForm%25%25"]here[/url]

Take a look at this akhi from a reputable scholar.

Question:

Concerning pictures of parents in house. I have my own picture hanging, of my ankle and parents, what should I do with them. May Allah reward you.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You have to hasten to remove these pictures at once, because it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) strongly forbade hanging pictures, and he commanded his great Companion ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, “Do not leave any picture without blotting it out and do not leave any built-up grave without levelling it.†(Narrated by Muslim, 1/66). Hanging up pictures of animate beings deprives the people of that house of a great blessing, which is the entrance of angels into that house. It was reported from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are statues or pictures.†(Narrated by Imaam Ahmad; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1961).

You can replace them, if you wish, with pictures of inanimate objects, such as trees, mountains, oceans and other natural scenes, or other drawings of inanimate objects, without being extravagant or wasteful.

As for the pictures which are hanging, you have to remove them and blot them out or burn them; do not keep them. It is worth noting that hanging up pictures of the dead is one of the things that renews grief and serves no useful purpose; it may even lead to some kind of veneration which goes against Tawheed. Let us not forget that the shirk committed by the people of Nooh (peace be upon him) started because they set up pictures and images of some righteous people who had lived among them. So be very careful. May Allaah help us and you to do all that pleases Him and earns His forgiveness. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

(www.)"http://Islam-qa/index.php?ref=7918&ln=eng&txt=hanging%20pictures"]SOURCE[/url]

thanks for the article brother, but to admit it it didn't relieve me. As I found my discomfort.

I read that incuding Hanafi and Shafii madhab's and nearly all scholars of other haqq madhabs agrees that pictures of inanimated objects, self potraits and photos or pictures of people which includes only some part of a body is religiously permissible. And the self-potraits on valuable stuff like money is valuable only if only it is not respected or regarded. But they all agree that when praying these kind of pictures or photos are all needed to be blotted. I came across some fatawaa's in Ottoman's history given for same reasons. The reason I was uncomfortable was, Fatih Sultan Mahomet (Mehmet) -the conqouer of Istanbul, constantin- had his know self potrait painted by Venedic Bellini. And also his grandson Yavuz Sultan Salim -whom is said to be mujaddid of his century- also painted his selfpotrait. And I want to add that Fatih Sultan Mahomet is the one in the hadith "The sultan who conqouers constantin is such a good sultan...(or smth like that)". So these noble people won't do such mistake. And in Ottoman art these so many paintings like these too. And it is more logical too I guess since nearly everyday magazines (religious or not) and newspapers enter our house. And the angel's which not enter the rooms or houses with paintings as described above (I believe) is only mercy,rain, compassion angels. to conclude I say that self-potrait or photos or even paintings which don't contain all body of humans is permissible, but not to be regarded etc.

Peace

Source: Bilinmeyen Osmanlı page:96-97

Sorry for english there, well I must say that I can't EDIT :D

I wouldn't use Islam-qa - see here for (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_mac.abc.se/home/onesr/f/Islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)%20typifies%20Wahhabism.html"]more[/url]

----------------

Instead, have a look at these:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=9334&CATE=15"]What do the ulema state about photography?[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2961&CATE=4"]Praying in a room full of pictures at work[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2741&CATE=153"]Photographs: please clarify where you stand[/url]

See more (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/search.asp?request=pictures&GO=GO&cat=0&index=%22d%3A%5CIndex_Store%5CQNA_Index%22&fuzzy=Yes&fuzziness=1&stemming=Yes&phonic=No&natLang=Yes&maxFiles=25&sort=Hits&HDCat=3&cmd=search&SearchForm=%25%25SearchForm%25%25"]here[/url]

:D ya ukhti,

The site you referred to doesn't convince me of anything.

We were instructed by the Prophet :D to stick to the Quran and Sunnah and leave out other innovated things. Otherwise our religion is tampered with and altered like the Christians and Jews did with their beliefs.

I suggest you take a look at this site: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.thewahhabimyth(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.thewahhabimyth(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

At the end of a day we are just MUSLIMS.

Thankyou everyone for replying.

I am now closing this thread as it is going out of context.