Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mohsin_407

Purpose Of Namaaz (salaat)

Salaam Alaykum to all my brothers and sisters

Hows everyone doing? Allhamdulillah you are all fine.

My question is.....What is the purpose of prayer?

I asked my dad this question and he told me that it is to test us, to see if we follow the religion of Allah (swt), if we don't then we will be questioned on the day of judgement.

I want your opinion now, what do you think?? Why should we praise prayer, what is the purpose of it?? e.g. we know what the purpose of eating food is, to keep us healthy, fit and give us energy, i want to know (3rd time now) what is the purpose of prayer?

Oh by the way if you have any quotes from hadiths of qur'aan can you please state the surah and verse or from which person did the hadiths come from. Jazakullah

Mohsin

PropellerAds

:D

Prayer: Ascension for a Believer

The first thing the Messenger of Allah was commanded to do was to pray. The Angel Jibreel came to him and a spring of water gushed out of the rocks in front of them. Jibreel then showed Allah’s Messenger how to perform ablution. He then showed him how to offer Prayers to Allah. He began to pray two rak`ahs twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. He then went home and showed his wife Khadijah what he had learnt from the Angel Jibreel.

From that time, the Prophet never went through a day without Praying. Just before his migration to Madinah, he was taken on a night journey to Jerusalem and then to the heavens (Al-Mi`raj). During this journey, Allah the Almighty ordered him to Pray five times a day. This Prayer was a gift given to every believer to enable him to experience a spiritual ascension five times a day. The Prophet is reported to have said: “Prayer is the mi`raj or the ascension of the believer.” It gives every Muslim the chance to communicate with his Lord. During each prayer, the Muslim recites Surat Al-Fatihah. This recitation is not a dull monologue by the believer. Allah promises that Prayer is a conversation between Him and the worshipper. The Messenger of Allah reported that Allah the Almighty says: ‘When my slave says in his prayer: “All praise is for Allah, the Lord of the worlds,” I say: “My slave has praised Me.” When he says: “The Merciful, the Compassionate, Master of the Day of Judgment,” I say: “My slave has glorified Me.” When he says: “You Alone we worship and your Aid we seek,” I say: “This is between Me and My slave.” When he says: “Show us the Straight Path,” I say: “This is for My slave, and I give My slave what he wants.”

The Messenger of Allah is reported to have said: “Prayer is the pillar of religion.” He also informed us that Islam is built upon five pillars, the second being to establish Prayer five times a day. This makes the image very clear: Islam is like a building supported by five columns. If you remove just one column the entire building weakens. In the same way, when a person stops Praying his faith becomes weak, and the mildest blows can cause it to crumble. Prayer is so very important that the Prophet said: “Verily, between man and polytheism and disbelief is abandoning prayer.” (Reported by Muslim)

Allah says, concerning the plight of the disbelievers on the Day of Judgment that they will be asked by the believers: [What led you into the Hell-fire?” They will say: “We were not of those who Prayed]( Al-Muddaththir: 42-43). Allah also says: [successful indeed are the believers, those who humble themselves in their prayers] (Al-Mu’minun 31: 1-2), and “And those who guard [strictly] their worship, such will be the honored ones in the Gardens [of Bliss]” (Al-Ma`rij 71: 34-35).

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/In_Depth/Al-Israa_Al-Miraj/articles/09/article16.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/In_Dept...article16.shtml[/url]

And Allaah :D knows best

Assalam o alaikum,

Above post is Very good on this topic.

One has to realize that Surah Al-Fatiha is the soul of salah. So, let us look at Surah Al-Fatiha. In Surah al-fatiha we praise Allah and then we ask for guidance. We get what we want. Allah keep us guided when we offer prayer.

To me it is a biggest gift given to us by Allah. He told us how to ask for his guidance 5 times a day.

Salaam Alaykum to all my brothers and sisters

May Allah guide us through the hard times,Ameen!

shiningstar,thanks a lot for the "Prayer: Ascension for a Believer".All of that was really interesting to know. :D

The fact is prayer as said before is an outstanding blessing from Allah and whoever takes advantage of this has gained success and whoever does not has failed.

Prayer is the line between the Non Muslim and Muslim and if you try and copy the Non muslim then be ready to face the curse of Allah Allmightly.

The first thing that will be asked on the incredible Day Of Judgement is the prayer,if that is firm and up to standard the chances of getting into Jannah are good,otherwise the chances look pretty low without prayer.

Whoever neglects prayer is considered a Non-Muslim.

Prayer helps to reduce sin by keeping us on the right track,

Prayer is a cure for mankind.

Prayer is what purifies the soul and heart.

I have been down at times,tired at times,prayer has provided me with the cure I need.

This life is a test,Islam is the best!

Prayer improves you as a person and keeps you on the right track!

Think about this,

this life is a test and is very short and is the same as a raindrop.

The Hereafter is eternal and is like an ocean.

Compare a raindrop to an ocean,an ocean is miles better.

Also a footsize in the Hereafter is better then this world and everything in it.

I know what I would really strive for out of this world or the Hereafter,and I'm sure your view matches mine too.

A bit off topic near the end,but hey,they all matter,:D

i havent read through the posts so im not sure if this has been said already, forgive me if im repeating myself.... The first thing Allah will question you about on judgement day is salaah (prayer) its very important that we make space for this beautiful gift in our busy lives.. And as well as it being a test its also an excuse for Allah to reward his slaves, it holds a HUGE reward alhamdulillah..

:D brother Aaqib Ahmed for your thoughtful post :D

i havent read through the posts so im not sure if this has been said already, forgive me if im repeating myself.... The first thing Allah will question you about on judgement day is salaah (prayer) its very important that we make space for this beautiful gift in our busy lives.. And as well as it being a test its also an excuse for Allah to reward his slaves, it holds a HUGE reward alhamdulillah..

:D sister Shameela

Indeed Prayer will be the first thing a person will be questioned about on the Day of Judgment.

Prayer is a right of Allah :D, and people will be questioned about it. They will be asked if their prayers were done completely and

with good quality. If a person performs prayers with the utmost of quality, then the person will be saved. If the prayers were done incompletely or half-heartedly, then his voluntary prayers will suffice for the shortcomings.

The Messenger :D told us in an authentic hadith , “The first thing the people will be accountable for on the Day of Judgment is prayer, Allah will say to His angels (even though he already knows) : “Look at my servants prayers. Were they complete or not?†If they were complete It will be written as complete. If they were not fully complete Allah will say: “See if my servant has voluntary prayers, If he has them Allah will say: Complete his obligatory prayers shortage with his voluntary prayers.†Then the rest of his deeds will be dealt with in the same manner.†{Reported by Imams Ahmad, Abu Dawood, An-Nisa'i, and Al-Hakim}

and Allaah :D knows best

Jazakallah for that shining star, Allah give me and us all the taufeeq and ability to read prayer with sincerety and correctly.. i need to improve on mines inshallah..

Allah give me and us all the taufeeq and ability to read prayer with sincerety and correctly.. i need to improve on mines inshallah.. [/size][/font]

Salaam....jazakullah all for your answers and inshallah Allah (swt) will all give us the chance to improve our prayer with sincerety and to read it correctly....i need to improve on my one as well.

Just one last thing....people say, or actually everyone says that we should pray prayer 5 times a day, like it says in one of the previous posts by sister shiningstar that "The Messenger of Allah is reported to have said: “Prayer is the pillar of religion.†He also informed us that Islam is built upon five pillars, the second being to establish Prayer five times a day. This makes the image very clear: Islam is like a building supported by five columns. If you remove just one column the entire building weakens. In the same way, when a person stops Praying his faith becomes weak, and the mildest blows can cause it to crumble. Prayer is so very important that the Prophet said: “Verily, between man and polytheism and disbelief is abandoning prayer.†(Reported by Muslim)"

Ok this has something related to the five pillars of Islam, but why do we have to pray only 5 times a day, like what brother kasoo10 said in his post "He told us how to ask for his guidance 5 times a day. , there shouldn't be a limit as to how many times we can ask for his guidance, we should be able to ask as many times as we want, why 5 and not 6 or 9 or 10?? Whats the significance of 5??

Oh and again jazakullah for your answers :D

Mohsin

Assalam o alaikum,

Give that a read,

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cgi-bin/news_service/fatwah_story.asp?service_id=307"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/cgi-bin/news_se...?service_id=307[/url]

Heres my answer,well I think it's 5 times due to the fact of how each day works.You get noon,sunset,sunrise,midnight and midday.

Its forbidden to prayduring noon,sunset,sunrise,but from what I read somwhere you can pray at any other time during the day.

It's just that the 5 times a day is a must,anything else is an extra prayer.

I hope that helped a bit.

W/s

hi bro,

I was reading a bit on Mihraj and the reason for having 5 prayers a day is because of the following:

(Note; Our prophet, Muhammad PBUH, is recounting the night of Mihraj to his companions)

"Then Al-Bait-ul-Ma'mur (the Sacred House) was shown to me and a container full of wine and another full of milk and a third full of honey were brought to me. I took the milk. Gabriel remarked: 'This is the Islamic religion which you and your followers are following.' Then the prayers were enjoined on me: they were fifty prayers a day. When I returned, I passed by Moses, who asked me; 'What have you been ordered to do?' I replied: 'I have been ordered to offer fifty prayers a day.' Moses said: 'Your followers cannot bear fifty prayers a day, and by Allah I have tested people before you, and I have tried my level best with Bani israel in vain. Go back to your Lord and ask for reduction to lessen your followers'' burden.' So I went back, and Allah reduced ten prayers for me. Then again I came to Moses, but he repeated the same as he had said before. Then again I went back to Allah, and He reduced ten more prayers. When I came to Moses he said the same. I went back to Allah, and He ordered m to observe ten prayers a day. When I came back to Moses, he repeated the same advice, so I went back to Allah and was ordered to observe five prayers a day.

"When I came back to Moses, he said: 'What have you been ordered?' I replied: 'I have been ordered to observe five prayers a day.' He said: 'Your followers cannot bear fear prayers a day, and no doubt, I have got an experience of the people before you, and I have tried my level best with Bani israel, so go back to your Lord and ask for reduction to lesson your followers' burden.' I said: 'I have requested so much of my Lord that I feel ashamed, but I am satisfied now and surrender to Allah's Order.' When I left, I heard a voice saying: 'I have passed My order and have lessened the burden of My worshippers.'"

source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=1545"]link[/url]

hope that helped... :D

Assalam Alaikum

Mashah Allah.. Very nicely described about Salaat..

Jazaak Allah Khair to all who described this matter..

May Allah (SWT) give us taufeeq to understand the Quran & Sunnah.. ameen