Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dead man walking

Miswak

:D

I know the benefits, please do not discuss the benefits. The question is, is it

Sunnat, Wajib, Fardh, Recommended and is it a sin if you dont use it?

PropellerAds

Positive that its only sunnah, the prophet (saw)deliberately didnt use it on one or two occasions as he feared that it`d become waajib upon the ummah..

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

I would like to have the rulings of the following two:

1. What is the ruling on cleaning the teeth in general? (Keeping the Teeth Clean)

2. What is the ruling on using a Miswak instead of a Toothbrush?

3. What is the ruling on using Miswak while fasting?

a) Is it allowed to brush the teeth while fasting with either Miswak or toothbrush?

B) If we are fasting and we have bad breath, should we brush our teeth using miswak to remove the bad breath, or is it better not to brush the teeth because the smell of the bad breath of a fasting person is more beloved to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala than the smell of musk?

Salam

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

I would like to have the rulings of the following two:

1. What is the ruling on cleaning the teeth in general? (Keeping the Teeth Clean)

When the prophet (saw) used to attend gatherings he would do miswak, i think this clearly shows the importance of being clean as well as presentable.. Bad breath can kill :D

2. What is the ruling on using a Miswak instead of a Toothbrush?

Well theres alot of shifa as well as reward for miswak but i cant give you a deffinite Islamic ruling on that however i do recommend that you use both, i brush and then do miswak..

3. What is the ruling on using Miswak while fasting?

a) Is it allowed to brush the teeth while fasting with either Miswak or toothbrush?

B) If you are fasting and you have bad breath, should I brush my teeth using miswak to remove the bad breath, or is it better not to brush the teeth because the smell of the bad breath of a fasting person is more beloved to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala than the smell of musk?

Salam

Miswak whilst fasting is permissable regardless of wether there is an odour in the mouth or not but brushing is haram and will break the fast.. i hope that helped..

You will find a detailed fatawa :D below on the Siwaak which should answer most of the qustions asked above

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=2577&ln=eng&txt=miswak"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=2577...&txt=miswak[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=2577...&txt=miswak"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=2577...&txt=miswak[/url]

Assalam Alaikum

Jazaak Allah Khair for the link provided, it is truly very useful.

May Allah (SWT) reward you for sharing this.. ameen

Asalmualakum

I have been curious about this subject as well.

Why can't we use toothpaste and mouthwash and call it the sunnah of clensing the mouth? At the time of the Prophet Mohammad :D they did not have better tools, but today we have dentists who are perfecting the technology of the toothbrush so teeth can be as white as they can be.

Not only is the miswaak more beneficial than using toothbrush/toothpaste it is also highly rewarding.

**Scientific Benefits:

Scholars have mentioned as many as 70 medicinal and spiritual benefits related to the miswak. Dental research has discovered interesting information about the miswak.

Chemical analysis revealed that it contains a total of 19 natural substances which are beneficial to dental health.

Its natural antiseptics have a bactericidal action, killing harmful micro-organisms in the mouth, the tannic acid it contains has astringent qualities which protect the gums from disease, and its aromatic oils increase salivation (which helps in digestion). Because of its built-in antiseptics, the miswak needs no cleaning, and because its bristles are parallel to the hand rather than perpendicular, its can reach more easily between the teeth, where are conventional toothbrush often misses. ** Click (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.alhaadi.com.za/Articles/Miswaak_-_The_Natural_Toothbru/miswaak_-_the_natural_toothbru.html"]here[/url]

This website is also very informative: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.miraclebrush(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]Miraclebrush[/url]

In answer to your question, I found this:

***Q:Would one gain the same reward as using a toothbrush to clean ones teeth as opposed to using a siwak irrespective of the cleaning ability of the toothbrush? Is the sunna still being completed?, as what is intended is the cleaning of the teeth??

A: Walaikum assalam,

That which is a confirmed sunna in wudu is "istiyak," or brushing one's teeth. [ibn Abidin's Radd al-Muhtar, Ibn Nujaym's Bahr al-Ra'iq]

This sunna is achieved by that which cleans one's teeth, and would include modern toothbrushes. However, the optimal reward, and maximal benefit lies in using an actual siwak (tooth-stick). This is what the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) used, for countless wisdoms and benefits that the scholars have ably outlined.**

From (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1371&CATE=3"]Sunnipath[/url]

Asalmaualakum

Jazakallah khair sister, that convinced me :D

Edited by peacelover

JazaakAllahu Khairan Blue dew for the information and for the answers. Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

As Salaam alaikum

Can NEEM stick used to clean the teeth also be considered as sunnah?

Was Salaam

It is permissible to take for a Miswaak all types of tree twigs provided these are not harmful or poisonous. It is forbidden to use a Miswaak from a poisonous tree. Miswaaks from the following trees are not permissible:

(1) Pomegranate

(2) Bamboo

(3) Raihaan

(4) Chambelie

Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) FORBADE THE USE OF Raihaan as Miswaak because it causes the sickness, Juz-zaam

The following are the types of Miswaak are recommended:

(1) Peelo tree

(2) Zaitoon or Olive tree

(3) Bitam or

(4) Any bitter tree

(5) Walnut tree

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam.tc/Miswaak/"]Source[/url]

Assalamu alaikum,

As Salaam alaikum

Can NEEM stick used to clean the teeth also be considered as sunnah?

Was Salaam

Like Blue_dew posted Miswak can be made from ay twig from any tree that is not poisonous.

Neem Tree stick (twig) is one of the best, I really love the smell of it. It makes the mouth feel refreshed, though it is a bit on the bitter side.

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

:D um Ahmad & bluedew

neem really makes the mouth feel fresh inspite of the slight bitter taste

Was Salaam

tasnim