Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aaqib Ahmed

Maths Personal Statement

Asslamualaikum dear sisters and brothers,

I just want to show you my 1st draft paragraph of my statement so far,I have starting writing it up recently

Maths personal statement,first draft

Mathematical logic and axioms underlie functionality of practically every process used in todays modern society from scientific applications such as …. to the forecasting of the financial loss or profit in a business company. It is this diversity and flexibility of application that really intrigues me and makes me want to study mathematics in a far greater depth. When the word maths is mentioned my idea of the subject is very distinctive to how others would see it, to me maths is a numerical language with a very strong, hidden meaning to life, an art, where you have to express yourself with full elegance and beauty. Maths is a technique to be mastered just like any sport where you only get better and reach your full potential if you are dedicated enough and willing to work hard at it. This motivation of mine has developed me rapidly as a mathematician throughout year 11 to 13.The analytical thinking and flair required to solve questions of very unfamiliar nature matches my passion for maths, especially at STEP level. Where the mathematical level of the questions set on STEP intellectually stimulate and enhance my enjoyment for maths. I feel maths will give me logistic and reasoning abilities that are pivotal for virtually all areas of study, consequently giving a very strong foundation for a wide range of careers such as maths teaching,a physicist,an engineer and even in the business sector to become an actuary or an accountant to name a few.

PLease let me know what you think of it so far,I still have quite a bit to do,so when I do the rest I'll put that up also.

Jazakhallah Khair for any comments you make! :D

PropellerAds

Salaam,

30 views and no reply, :D ,lol.

W/s

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

:D brother

i think that is a very good start but i think you should shorten it down abit as u will also need 2 include other things such as how your a-level subjects/ experiences influenced you and make you suited to that career... sure the people want to know that you are aware of how useful maths is but i think that should be 2 a certain extent as usually you have a word limit on a personal statement..

also another advice would be to actually get one of your maths teachers to look at it, because sometimes when you ask too many people you get such a variety of opinions and some clash with each other.. so i think a few professional opinions such as your math teacher and another senior teacher who is used 2 handling applications (e.g. a careers teacher) would be useful rather than a whole range of different opinions..

i hope this helps and may Allah (swt) make all our applications to universities successful..Ameen..

:D

Salaam restless_soul sis,

May Allah reward you for your advice sis,Ameen. :D

Your post has really helped sis,thanks a lot.

"may Allah (swt) make all our applications to universities successful.."

Ameen.

W/s

Assalam Alaikum

Something for Maths Lovers :D

Just for fun: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=32171&hl="]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=32171&hl=[/url]

Enjoy!!

Assalam Alaikum subhaanallaah,

May Allah reward you for the link,I love it,mashallah! :D

I find it very interesting! :D

W/s

Salaam,

Ok heres my final kinda piece its over 1000 characters longer then it should be.and I'm finding it hard to reduce it down.Let me know what you think of it.

Maths Personal Statement.

Mathematical axioms and logic underlie functionality of practically every process used in todays modern society from the forecasting of the financial transaction loss or profit in a business company to scientific applications such as calculating magnetic flux in electromagnetic induction. It is this diversity and flexibility of application that really intrigues me and makes me want to study mathematics in a far greater depth. When the word maths is mentioned my idea is very distinctive to how others would see it, to me maths is a numerical language with a very strong, hidden meaning to life, an art, where you have to express yourself with full elegance and beauty. Maths is a technique to be mastered just like any sport where you only get better and reach your full potential if you are dedicated enough and willing to work hard at it. This motivation of mine has developed me rapidly as a mathematician throughout year 11 to 13.The analytical thinking and flair required to solve questions of very unfamiliar nature matches my passion for maths, especially at STEP level. Where the mathematical level of the questions set on STEP intellectually stimulate and enhance my enjoyment for maths to the fullest. I feel maths will give me logistic and reasoning abilities that are pivotal for virtually all areas of study, consequently giving a strong foundation for a wide range of careers.

The full beauty of Mathematics is only revealed once you look beyond the “normal”,therefore I decided to go on a quest outside A Level and into University level Mathematics,to get an insight on how it would be like and to push my Mathematical ability a bit further.With a bit of research I came across Chebyshev polynomials, which are degrees of polynomial n and the sequence of Chebyshev polynomials compose a polynomial sequence which can be expressed on a graph, which vary in different degrees of powers. There are two types, first kind and second kind. The first kind is defined by the recurrence relation. Also within the topic I came across something called generating functions which is a power series whose coefficients encode information about a sequence that is indexed by the natural numbers. Then I came across the different types, such as Ordinary generating functions, Exponential generating functions and Bell series.

The immense depth of Chebyshev polynomials surprised me as it covered a wide range of mathematical applications such as graphical, algebraic and numerical techniques, all in just the topic of Chebyshev polynomials. Whereas at A Level, topics like Complex Numbers and Matrix algebra are covered without a lot of detail, meaning I have to use my initiative skills to read up topics of interest in more depth. The different notation used at University level really intrigued and excited me. It is this degree of depth and complexity at University that really encourages me that pursuing a degree in Mathematics will suit me. Also by further reading and exploring I wanted to test out my skills that are pivotal for higher study such as my independent skills, motivational. Majority of the time adjusting quickly to the level of Mathematics involved in Chebyshev polynomials was achievable, but on a few occasions I got stuck, therefore I would read up this same topic using a different source to see if it would improve my understanding, if it did, applying my knowledge to questions of unfamiliar nature was the next stage, if not, then reading up the topic on another source was the most suitable step.

To enhance and really push my Mathematical understanding, knowledge and techniques beyond the scope of A Level work, I started reading a book called “Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers” By Jan Gullberg. This would contain a wide range of chapters covered at University in a short amount of depth, such as Harmonic Analysis which contains the section Fourier Series. Here I would pick up on the key points which state what a Fourier Series is. Reading far beyond what I am taught means I have a wide range of tools which will help me understand degree level work. For instance having done lots of integration at A Level and STEP level makes the work easier to understand. Plus reading up on an old Scholarship Mathematics page given by a teacher helps aid understanding, especially when trying to understand integration involving translations with respect of x and y along the x-axis and y-axis when dealing with Fourier coefficients.

For my final year of A Levels, I decided to teach myself a Further Maths module, this was to test out my independent skills which are important to succeed at degree level.

This will require good time management skills because I will have to take time out at home to learn the material, good target setting skills to ensure I am fully ready by exam time and this will test my motivation, because I will have to keep my STEP work and Physics work in mind while preparing myself for this module plus 5 other Further Maths modules. Developing my skills in all aspects will be vital for University; therefore by improving them further I aim perfect my study patterns for higher level Mathematics.

My extra-curricular commitments are of a wide range, I see myself as a sporty person who enjoys all sports. In football I have been offered to play at District/Regional level. I have been present in football trials which had Everton and Manchester United scouts watching. I was captain of my football team for a year, this required strong leadership qualities, especially when things were not going so well and I had to lift the team.

I have been top in my school for three years in Cross country and 1500 metre running. Also in both those sports I have entered the District Championships where in 1500 metre running my average position was normally 4th out of 8 people, and in Cross country out of 200 people my average position was normally 50th. My other commitment was a business project called Young Enterprise which was a company ran by students at school. This project improved my time management skills as it took place every Wednesday lunch time and every Friday, where I would miss time from my Further Maths class to go to the meetings. Therefore my good initiative skills and determination enabled me to catch up the time missed in lessons without any problems.

I entered a writing competition during the summer. The competition was based on a chapter in the Holy Quran called Surah Al-Rahman, I entered with a very heart touching poem and won the competition ahead of many others.

I am really looking forward to the academic studies of Mathematics at a much greater depth and level. Also I relish the prospect of socializing with like-minded people from a wide range of cultures and diversities to enhance my communication skills further.

I know I have waffled on and gone on a bit in place where I dont need to,inshallah I reduce it down to the right amount.

W/s

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

Salaam,

Here is my final piece,

I would be grateful if you could read it and comment on it?

Does it show I have interest,ability,potential in Maths?

May Allah reward you with exceptional blessings in this life and the Hereafter for taking time out to read my statement.Ameen.

Mathematical axioms and prepositions underlie functionality of practically every process used in today’s advanced society from the forecasting of the financial transaction loss in a business company to scientific applications such as calculating magnetic flux in electromagnetic induction. It is this wonderful diversity and flexibility of application that really intrigues me and makes me want to study Mathematics in a far greater complexity. Mathematics is a numerical language with a strong hidden meaning to life; an art, where you express yourself with elegance and beauty. Mathematics is like sport where you only get better and reach your full potential if you are dedicated enough and willing to work hard at it. The analytical thinking and flair required to solve questions of very unfamiliar nature at STEP level intellectually stimulate and enhance my enjoyment for Mathematics to the full.

To reveal the full beauty of Mathematics I decided to go on a quest into University level Mathematics,to gain an insight into it and to push my Mathematical ability further.During research I came across Chebyshev polynomials, which are degrees of polynomial n. The sequence of Chebyshev polynomials compose a polynomial sequence which can be expressed on a graph. Within the topic I came across something called generating functions which is a power series whose coefficients encode information about a sequence that is indexed by natural numbers.

The depth of Chebyshev polynomials surprised me as it covered Mathematical applications from different areas. Which at A Level, topics like Complex Numbers and Matrix algebra are covered without depth, my initiative skills helped to read up topics of interest in more depth. This desire to pursue knowledge has convinced me that I am well suited to studying Mathematics at degree level. Adapting to the level of Mathematics involved in Chebyshev polynomials was achievable, but on few occasions I got stuck, therefore reading up this topic using a different source to fill the missing gaps in my understanding was the best step, if it filled them, applying my knowledge to questions of unfamiliar nature was the next stage, if not, then reading up the topic on another source was the most suitable step.

To enhance my Mathematical understanding, knowledge and techniques beyond the scope of A Level work, I began reading a book called “Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers” by Jan Gullberg. This contains a wide range of chapters covered at University in a short amount of depth, such as Harmonic Analysis which contains Fourier Series. Integration I did at A Level and STEP level makes the complex work easier to understand. Reading an old Scholarship Mathematics book given by a teacher helped my understanding, especially when trying to grasp integration involving translations with respect of x and y along the x and y axis when dealing with Fourier coefficients. This advanced reading developed my Mathematical skills, time management skills and independent skills, which will be an advantage at University.

My extra-curricular commitments are wide ranging. Main interest laying sport. In football I was offered to play at District/Regional level. Being present in football trials which had Everton and Manchester United scouts watching was an exciting opportunity. Captaining my football team for a year, required strong leadership and communication qualities, both key life skills. This condemned in receiving “Best Player of the Year” award. I also came first for three years in Cross country and 1500 metre running. Subsequently entered the District Championships for both events, obtaining good positions. Being a Peer Mentor was an opportunity to help younger pupils settle in. As a practicing Muslim this helps take my mind away from studying everyday.

I am relishing the opportunity to study Mathematics at a much greater depth and level. Also I am looking forward to the prospect of socializing with like-minded people from a wide range of cultures and diversities.

W/s

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

:D bro,

I'm doing my personal statement now too.. i know how hard it can be to get it just right.. here's my two pence....

You need to check the wording of the last paragraph, e.g. 'main interest laying sport' and 'this condemned in receiving...', and 'wide range of cultures and diversities'

Also, personally I don't think you should mention anything about religion in there.. 'as a practicing muslim this helps take my mind away from studying...' I think it's best to be neutral and avoid anyone prejudicing your application..

Also, i don't think you should write so much about the mathematical topics themselves, i dont think it really shows or adds anything to ur application...

I hope this makes sense and helps you!!

Edited by jk_89

Salaam,

Thank you for your advice sis.

May Allah reward you for it,I'll inshallah use it. :D

W/s

You're welcome bro.. don't forget to post it when it's done!

Here is my changed piece,I had a long think and thought my original piece was too mathy and wasn't showing all my skills,therefore this one inshallah should.

May Allah reward you for your help.Ameen.

Mathematical axioms and propositions underly the functionality of practically every process used in today’s advanced society from the forecasting of the financial transactions loss in a business company to scientific applications such as calculating magnetic flux in electromagnetic induction. It is this wonderful diversity and flexibility of application that really intrigues me and makes me want to study Mathematics in a far greater depth. Mathematics is a numerical language with a strong hidden meaning to life; an art, where you express yourself with elegance and beauty. Mathematics is like sport where you only get better and reach your full potential if you are dedicated enough and willing to work hard at it. This motivation of mine improved me rapidly as a Mathematician through the years. The analytical thinking and flair required to solve questions of an unfamiliar nature at STEP level intellectually stimulate and enhance my enjoyment of Mathematics to the full.

Enthusiasm for Mathematics has been nurtured by studying A Level Physics, Physics has helped me apply my mathematical knowledge in varied situations; this improved my latter thinking skills, and improved my critical thinking skills under pressure. Doing a power point presentation on Galaxies as part of a project improved my ICT skills which will enable me to show my work in a professional way. Also my communication skills and ability to put my ideas across to others in an effective way showed a vast improvement. Practical work has enabled me to use as well as improve my logical thinking skills and Mathematical skills in real life situations. My ability to cope well under timed pressure helped me get a mark of 94% in my Resistivity Coursework.

To enhance my Mathematical understanding, knowledge and techniques beyond the scope of A Level work further, I read a book called “Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers” by Jan Gullberg.This contains a wide range of chapters covered at University in a short amount of depth, such as L’Hospital’s Rule and Harmonic Analysis which contains Fourier Series. Integration I did at A Level and STEP level made the complex work easier to understand. Reading an old Scholarship Mathematics book given by a teacher helped my understanding, especially when trying to grasp integration involving translations with respect of x and y along the x and y axis when dealing with Fourier coefficients. This advanced reading developed my Mathematical skills, time management skills and independent skills by a margin, which will be an advantage at University.

Extra-curricular commitments are wide ranging. In football I was offered to play at District/Regional level. Being present in football trials which had Everton and Manchester United scouts watching was an exciting opportunity. Captaining my football team for a year, required strong leadership and communication qualities, both key life skills. This culminated in receiving “Best Player of the Year” award. I also came first for three years in Cross country and 1500 metre running. Subsequently entered the District Championships for both events, obtaining good positions. Being a Peer Mentor was an opportunity to help younger pupils settle in. This enabled me to improve my social skills, as well as being an adviser and role model to younger students. Being part of the Finance team in Young Enterprise required high levels of commitment, as a good attendance was needed every week. Working as part of a team, required strong teamwork skills, as it required the ability to balance the work load between the team. Keeping an organized record of all the accounts required strong independent and self awareness skills, these skills mixed with the ability to perform well under pressure made me a strong member of the team.

The opportunity to study Mathematics at a greater complexity is one I relish. Also I look forward to the prospect of socializing with like-minded people from a wide range of cultures and diversities.

Here is my final piece,I hope u like it,

PLEASE READ AND COMMENT!! :D

May Allah reward u for reading and commenting on my final piece.Ameen.

Mathematical axioms underly the functionality of practically every process used in society from the forecasting of financial transactions to scientific applications such as calculating magnetic flux in electromagnetic induction. It is this exceptional diversity and flexibility of application that really intrigues me and makes me want to study Mathematics in a greater depth. Mathematics is a numerical language with many hidden meanings; an art, with its own elegance and beauty. Mathematics is like sport where you only get better and reach your full potential if you are dedicated enough and willing to work hard at it. This motivation of mine improved me rapidly as a Mathematician. The analytical thinking and flair required to solve questions of an unfamiliar nature stimulate me intellectually and enhance my enjoyment of Mathematics.

My enthusiasm for Mathematics has been nurtured by studying A Level Physics, Physics has helped me apply my mathematical knowledge in varied situations; this improved my latter and critical thinking under pressure. I did a Power Point presentation on Galaxies as part of a project; this improved my ICT capability which will enable me to show my work in a professional way. Plus my communication skills showed a vast improvement. Practical work has enabled me to improve my Mathematical tools in real life situations. My ability to cope well under timed pressure helped me get a mark of 94% in my Resistivity Coursework.

To enhance my Mathematical understanding, knowledge and techniques beyond the scope of A Level work, I read a book called “Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers” by Jan Gullberg. The history of numbers and algebra within this book gave me an essential grounding in axiomatic reasoning and formal systems, whilst at the same time pointing out their major flaw. I used a range of sources to facilitate my ability of concepts dealt within the book. Reading a Scholarship Mathematics book given by a teacher helped my understanding, especially when trying to grasp integration involving translations with respect to different variables when dealing with Fourier coefficients. I was fascinated to gain a much deeper appreciation of the interconnections within Mathematics This advanced reading developed my Mathematical potential, time management and independent learning skills by a greater margin, which will be an advantage at University.

Visits to France, Pakistan and the ability to read Arabic have increased my linguistic reasoning, vital for a career aboard.

My extra-curricular commitments are wide ranging, my energy and enthusiasm has enabled me to pursue these whilst maintaining a high level of dedication to my academic work. Captaining my football team for a year, required strong leadership and communication qualities. This culminated in receiving “Best Player of the Year” award and being offered to play at Regional level. Subsequently entered the District Championships for both 1500M running and Cross-Country. Working as Peer Mentor was an opportunity to help younger pupils settle in. This enabled me to improve my social skills, as well as being an adviser and role model to younger students. Being part of the Finance team in Young Enterprise required high levels of commitment, as a good attendance was needed every week. Working as part of a team, required strong teamwork commitment, as it required the ability to balance the work load between the team. Keeping an organised record of all the accounts required strong independent and self awareness ability, these skills mixed with the amplitude to perform well under pressure made me a strong member of the team.

I envisage the study at a more advanced complexity as nourishing my appetite for fulfilling my Mathematical curiosity and meet my concern that the applications and development of Mathematics is academically pivotal for virtually all grounds of careers. I flourish the prospect of socialising with like minded people from a wide range of cultures.

Ok this is my final,final piece,I'm grateful for your comments on it,inshallah.

Mathematical axioms underly the functionality of practically every process used in society;

from the forecasting of financial transactions to calculating conductivity of a metal. It is

this exceptional diversity and flexibility of application that really intrigues me and makes

me want to study Mathematics in a greater depth. Mathematics is a numerical language with

many hidden meanings; an art, with its own elegance and beauty. Mathematics is like sport

where you reach your full potential if you are willing to work hard at it. The analytical

thinking and flair required to solve questions of an unfamiliar nature stimulate me

intellectually and enhance my enjoyment of Mathematics.

My enthusiasm for Mathematics has been nurtured by studying A Level Physics, Physics has

helped me apply my mathematical knowledge in varied situations; this improved my critical

thinking under pressure. I did a Power Point presentation on Galaxies as part of a project;

this improved my ICT capability which will enable me to show my work in a professional way. Plus my communication skills showed a vast improvement. Practical work has enabled me to improve my Mathematical tools in real life situations. My ability to cope well under pressure helped me get 94% in my Resistivity Coursework.

To enhance my Mathematical understanding, knowledge and techniques beyond the scope of A Level work, I recently read a book called Mathematics, From the Birth of Numbers by Jan

Gullberg. The history of numbers with in the book gave me an essential grounding in axiomatic reasoning and formal systems. I used a range of sources to facilitate my understanding of concepts dealt within the book. Reading a Scholarship Mathematics book borrowed from a teacher aided my knowledge, especially when trying to grasp integration involving transformations with respect to different variables. I was fascinated to gain a much deeper appreciation of the interconnections within Mathematics This advanced reading developed my Mathematical potential, time management and initiative, all essential skills at University.

Visits to France, Pakistan and the ability to read Arabic have improved my fluency in

languages, enhancing my linguistic reasoning, vital for a career aboard.

My extra-curricular commitments are wide ranging, the energy and enthusiasm I possess enabled me to pursue these whilst maintaining a high level of dedication to my academic work. Captaining my football team for a year, required strong leadership and communication qualities and having the opportunity to play at Regional level gave me great self esteem. Subsequently I entered the District Championships for both 1500M running and Cross-Country.I have worked as Peer Mentor,this was an opportunity to help younger pupils settle in. This enabled me to improve my social skills, as well as being an adviser and role model to younger students. Being part of the Finance team in Young Enterprise required high levels of commitment, as a good attendance was needed every week. Working as part of a team, needed strong teamwork, as it required the ability to balance the work load between the team. Keeping an organised record of all the accounts required strong independent and self awareness ability, these skills mixed with the aptitude to perform well under pressure made me a strong member of the team.

I relish the study at an advanced depth as nourishing my appetite for fulfilling my

Mathematical curiosity.This meets my concern that the applications of Mathematics are pivotal for virtually most careers. Studying Mathematics will give me the prospect of socialising with like minded people from a wide range of cultures.

Many thanks for your comments,I'm very thankful to them

Take Care