Islamic Forum
Lethal Injection

Is A Tattoo On The Upper-right Side Of The Back Haram?

Alsalamu Alaykum wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatuh,

I was wondering if tattooing on the upper right side of the back is haram and prevents a person from proper wudu to perform salaa. I've been having the urge to make a tattoo, not to show to anyone, but for personal reasons. Much thanks for all replies and 3azzama allahu ajrakum

Alsalamu Alaykum

PropellerAds

Wa alaykum salam,

brother tattoo is absolutely forbidden in Islam.

Question :

Are Tattoos Haram in Islam ? if not , which symbols are haram ? I know hurting the body on purpose is Haram , but if tattoo doesn't hurt the body , is it still Haram , can u please clear all that for me.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.Tattooing, in which the skin is pierced with needle and a blue or other coloured dye is injected, is haraam in all forms, whether it causes pain or not, because it involves changing the creation of Allaah, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos and the one for whom that is done. In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.†(al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538).

With regard to all these matters, the ahaadeeth testify that the one who does them is cursed and that they are major sins. There is some difference of scholarly opinion as to the reason why they are forbidden. It was said that it is because they are a form of deception, and it was said that it is because it is a way of changing the creation of Allaah, as Ibn Mas’ood said – which is more correct and also includes the first meaning. And it was suggested that what is forbidden is only that which is permanent, because that is changing the creation of Allaah; as for that which is not permanent, such as kohl which used for adornment by women, that is permitted by the scholars. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/393).

So if what is referred to in the question is that which is not permanent, then it is not a tattoo as such and does not change the creation of Allaah. See question no. 8904.

Islam Q&A (you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link))

Salaam

Much thanks for your reply jazakee Allah khayran. I guess I can do it as kohl =)

Salamu Alaykum

Salams,

whats kohl???

yes it's absolutely haram in Islam for more info in the light of hadith and quran just visit

######musalmaan.110mb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Salams,

i know henna, it's halal, cuz our prophet did it too, but we can't put henna and tattoo into the same category.

yes it's absolutely haram in Islam for more info in the light of hadith and quran just visit

######musalmaan.110mb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Brother, you must reach 50 posts for sending link on the forum.

Salamu alaykum.

It seems that the main reason for not allowing tattooing is because it is an attempt to permanently change God's creation. But tattoos can be removed these days; does this affect it's haram status?

It seems that the main reason for not allowing tattooing is because it is an attempt to permanently change God's creation. But tattoos can be removed these days; does this affect it's haram status?

It is not because of permanence, but because of excessive alteration of God's creation for beautification or vanity reasons. The same goes for teeth filing, eyebrow plucking (this one obviously not permanent) and body piercing. Unlike these three, henna and ear piercings are specifically mentioned as being permissible in Islam.

Allah cursed him [satan]. And he [satan] said: "I will take an appointed portion of your servants. Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allah.'' And whoever takes Shaytan as a Wali instead of Allah, has surely suffered a manifest loss. [4:118-119]

Ibn Kathir explains: (And indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allah.) means tattooing, according to Al-Hasan bin Abi Al-Hasan Al-Basri. In his Sahih, Muslim recorded the prohibition of tattooing the face, which in one of its wordings states: "May Allah curse whoever does this.'' It is also recorded in the Sahih that Ibn Mas`ud said, "May Allah curse those who have tattoos and those who do it, who pluck their (facial) hairs and the one who does it for them, and those who make spaces between their teeth for the purpose of beauty, changing what Allah has created.'' He then said, "Why should not I curse whom the Messenger of Allah has cursed, when the Book of Allah commands it,'' referring to the Ayah,

[æóãó ÃóÇÊóÜßõãõ ÇáÑøóÓõæáõ ÃóÎõÃõæåõ æóãóÇ äóåóÜßõãú Úóäúåõ ÃóÇäÊóåõæÇú]

(And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it)). Allah's statement,

Salam.

Assalamu Alaikum, Here are 2 links from Gawaher regarding Tattoos

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=35804&hl=tattoos"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...&hl=tattoos[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=31025&hl=tattoos"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...&hl=tattoos[/url]

If you go in Gawaher search and type Tattoos, you will get more replies there.

Muzur, Kohl is something similar to Antimony/Surma. the black or dark grey thing we use in our eyes. I know you will understand it better now.

Assalamu alaikum.

:sl:

what about braces, is that haram to get? isnt that the same as changing yourself?

Assalamu alaikum, Below is a similar question asked on another site and the answer the Scholar gave. I hope it helps you.

Assalamu alaikum.

Assalamu Alaikum. As we know by the following Hadith, tattooing, creating spaces between teeth, etc. is definitely not allowed. Therefore, what is the Islamic ruling on braces worn to straighten teeth?

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 826:

Narrated Ibn Mas"ud:

As Salaam Alaikum

To straighten teeth through braces is Halal. Similarly for medical reasons.

The Hadeeth that you quoted is regarding those women who are indulging themselves in excessive beautification.

Wallahu Alam

Abu Zaid Uthman bin Mahmood

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetquranicsciences(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/uf/ScholarPage.asp?visitormonid=102878"]Quranic Sciences Institute.[/url]

What if the orthodonic braces aren't for medical purposes, but aesthetic reasons? I don't know many people whose teeth are so poorly aligned that it constitutes a medical condition.

Salaam, If you check my post above, you will see in the answer (the bolded part) that straightening teeth if they are overlaping or are protruded is just fine, there is no problem with it.

The hadeeth quoted talks about people specially women who had fine teeth and they would have a space made between the top front two teeth as a sign of beauty.

Salaam.