Islamic Forum
ahm

How to appeal to people?

:D

Post about being a broadcast journalist made me think what appeals to non-muslims in media, especially the youth? What comes to mind is celebrity, sex and music.

:w:

PropellerAds

yup you see sex in everything now....... and scantily clad women!

sometimes I get a feeling that the media is making people watch it

I agree. I tend to look for shows that appeal more towards my intellect than anything else.

the wierd thing is that in the US people say tht we are prudes. The whole janet jackson fiasco would have been nothing in europe. I think that people do these things for attention. Watching a show with sex in it does not make it better, I enjoy shows that will have me thinking in the end or shows that I can watch with my kids. I feel that PBS is the best thing to watch and NPR to listen.

:D i like to watch the international history channel ...ive notice that they have rerunss...its ok never hurts to re-learn :D actually the rest of whats on tv is pointless ...it makes me think that the media is just trying to see how far they can go to make ppl forget about their daily duties.......

How to appeal to people.

1. Your manners

2. Your eloquency

3. The way you represent yourself

4. Your knowledge

thats all i can think of now, i have thought of these 4 from personal experience, and i confidently believe in their validity.

Good post!

I think something that people, and the youth in particular, look for in the media is confidence. Many celebrities are so confident and happy about their fashion or parties and this makes them come off in a positive light to people.

If someone were on TV and displayed this same confidence and happiness that they get from reading Quran & practicing Islam as far as how it keeps them safe from the risks of pre-marital pregnancy, drug addiction, alcohol abuse...etc....I think people would take notice of that.

Just an opinion :P

AS

Wel see there's several strategies i belive and i'm still experimenting as to which one works best. I agree with lateralus in a general sense.

Either ask them what is their religious beliefs and then ask them out of curiosity why they firmly believe in those virtues. More often than not, they simply believe in it for the sake of believing 'something.' Then naturally bring in what is ur religion and it's belief system. And then logically compare the two presented religions never pointing out faults in the other person's for it's funny how ppl get all defensive altho they really don't give two hoots bout their faith. Instead point out the positive lifestyle virtues of Islam. Now b/c these are so logical and 'humanly obvious' ppl often become interested. And then u bring in the easier ideas of 1 God...last prophet and the fact that there were many more prophets before him. And then ur off and away.

In fact it often becomes a very stimulating convo. Now some ppl are ore responsive to serious discussions..others not. Either way whatever ur situation if the person is from the latter, then just keep the convo light without involving too many intricacies of the religion. And keep ur statements 'open' like umm "blah blah blah Don't u think so"? ...makes other person feel their opinion matters and besides u often learn a different angle to things :D

Now never let ur emotional outbursts of condemnation come into it no matter how 'ridiculous' the other person's argument b/c they are entitled to an opinion (lol i have sincere difficulty in seeing the atheist point of view..just looking out at nature completely defeats it for me!)

*edit* ohhh is this to do with the media? Bother...well perhaps i ranted on off-topic then :P

Edited by ziggy99

How to appeal to people.

1. Your manners

2. Your eloquency

3. The way you represent yourself

4. Your knowledge

thats all i can think of now, i have thought of these 4 from personal experience, and i confidently believe in their validity.

And they will call you a geek/nerd.

:P

I guess what I mean is your average tabloid reader.

Edited by ahm

only if people keep thinking like that

I think that's the media's goal, aside from making $. It's certainly NOT to educate and enlighten people :P

The longer they can preoccupy people's minds to direct the same people's cash at their pockets, the better off they think they will be....perhaps only in THIS lifetime :D

*"they" meaning media heads

AS

ill explain what i mean, when people know that you are mentally talented, and you know your stuff, they wont go near you, i speak of these 4 points from experience, some people call me a posh geek, but when i have talked to them on a 1 to 1 level, we then respect each other properly, and i often find they get influenced by my ideas, i say this to prove my point. When you have knowledge people acknowledge you, when you have wisdom, people look up to you, add the 2 together, being wise means staying with the current times, not falling back so as to be labelled "old fashioned"

when i talk to people, i talk to them in my ripped jeans, and my top that says "what ever", i dont talk to them in a typical geek outfit(shirt, trousers, shoes) , you see what i mean by appearance?

not if you pose yourself directly aiming at your target market, you need to be able to speak in a certain way, u need to learn exactly what it is that makes them think "hmmmmmmm"

dont start boring them with loooonnnnnnggggggggggg lectures in big hard words (if your target market is the younger generation), you need to stick to the point, be able to asnwer all those annying fiddly questions and stick a joke in here and there.

i think the main thing that attracts peoples attentions these days is a good sense of humour, no ones asking you to be a clown, they just like people who can help them feel chilld out and easy. That doesnt mean you should have a chilld out attitude towards Islam, it just means, dont go all crazy at them and start shouting at em, do the opposite of the media, dont drone on at them, get them into a good heated conversation.

im not sure if i made any sense there