Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dead man walking

Student Loan For Uk Uni...

:D

Asalam alaykum

Basically its regarding tuition fee’s of uk universities.

Basically the student loan is NOT interest free and the amount is very little- links to inflation, that does not make it halal.

However I would like to know whether I should take it or not due to this circumstances

1, I KNOW I will NOT get a job that will exceed £15,000 a year because the course I am going to do is computing and getting a “good” pay job in ICT is VERY difficult to get into

2, I am happy to live on wages that is below 15,000 a yr because I can live on £200 a week.

Now, let me give you more info on the student loan.

Two types, one is tuition fee loan and the other is maintenance.

Tuition fee loan is when the SLC will pay the uni £3000 each yr, so I will not see the money

The maintenance loan is money for me to live on

It is a LOAN not a GRANT, so I have to repay it and under their contract, I WILL ONLY pay parts of it if I earn £15,000 a year, if I become (cant remember the age) and I have not paid it off, then it will be cancelled & if I die it will automatically be cancelled.

The reason I want to go to uni is for the sake of it, I don’t want to go to full time work and would like to be classed as a student inshallah

One idea was for me to work whilst at uni and only use the money on wages + grant of £2700 for the fee, however that will not be sufficient for me to live on because my brother is jobless and my father and mother don’t work, so if the unthinkable happens I will not be able to cope on my own.

So I want to take the loan and then try my best not to pay for it, because I KNOW I will not get into a job that will exceed £15,000 a year due to the nature of the course, I will be doing ICT and yes its popular, boring and very difficult to get to the top levels of the subject (i.e. engineer etc..) also,I am happy to live on around £200 a week, as long as the job is halal and the pay is halal that’s okay.

the fact is that i really want to go to university, and i know that i will not get a job that is 15k a yr, however if i pay out of my own pocket i will struggle for 2-3 yrs, not months, and i wnt have any backup source as my parents will not give me no money

Edited by dead man walking

PropellerAds

I don't think that you can base this decision on you not getting a job with more than a £15k salary. At some point, when you have a family you will find that £15k a year won't go far at all. When you start work, you will get pay rises as you get older and it's not really practical to refuse them is it?

I feel for you, as students these days are forced to get into considerable debt at a young age. This is very unfair generally, but made worse for you as it conflicts with your beliefs.

Good luck...and don't underestimate the job prospects of an IT based degree. 2 of my friends are doing very well on the back of theirs.

after thinking long and hard about this, i have decided NOT to take full ammount of loan and instead only £3000 for the tuition fee loan for the first year, with my job and the grant, i should have enough to cover myself for the next 2 years, but i am only taking this out of necessity, although literally i can go to university by paying out of my own pocket, but i will struggle/deprive myself from food & clothes 'big time'

but who knows, i may not take the loan and hope Allah can help me to survive the university year by not taking the loan and put all my trust in Allah, oh man i need help :D

although, i have asked imams, hafiz etc... and they said to take it 'out of necessity'

Please pardon me if I sound a bit too orthodox. you said that you have decided to take an interest loan out of necessity, but I would urge you to reconsider, an interest money will not only affect you financially but it will also spiritually taint you.

It is better for you to endure hardship and go through the university through a single pair of clothing than to take up interest to pay it out. I know it sounds very bizzare.. I had asked Mufti Ebrahim Saheb once and he had suggested that its better for me to sit at home than take up loans to pay my tuition.

Lastly when we say necessity, it means there is NO way of survival besides it.. Are those who do minial labour any worse off then those who get Master degrees? stats will show you that it is much harder for a Masters fellow to find a job than a labour worker. but in the end both will earn and eat what Allah has destined for them.

But hey there are options.. find out in your muslim community if someone could offer an interest free loan. or look through different scholarships.. Find part time jobs in and out of university. Make your university experience hard so that when you finally enjoy its fruits you can proudly say I earned it!

i really should of updated

anyways, i have re-considered and decided not to take any loans and lets see what happens, ill leave it at that

Br. I am making dua for you inshAllah

i really should of updated

anyways, i have re-considered and decided not to take any loans and lets see what happens, ill leave it at that

:D that is the best way brother. Pay your way as you go or be left with a £10,000+ debt when you graduate, as is happening to too many studenst.

:D it will be easy for you.

:sl:

I know this is an old topic ..so you didn't take out the loan after all?

I totally feel for you bro.

I hate this system a student cant do anything unless they ''take up the loan''

:s

basically we cant apply for student grants or help with dentalcare, because ''public funds cant be used on students as they have a loan available''. Thats regardless of whether or not we take it up or not.

Ridiculous.

:S

yes thats correct i didnt take the loan. this how it breaks down- i am entitled to £x loan money, which i rejected

but i took in grants and burserys (which r non repayable)

they are £2700 and £1000(bursery)-

so 2700+1000=£3700 money i get to help me, as grant

tuition fee = £3000. so 3700-3000 = £700 to spend. which what i did. if i get in trouble (WHICH I DID) i've got overdraft which is interest free of £1250...

(Sorry, i replied over a month late- or 2 lol, you should of Pm'd me :sl: )

I didnt take a loan, i got a maintencance grant of 2700 which i used to pay the fees.

Can you not do the same, also, maybe you can try borrowing from family and friends.

yes thats correct i didnt take the loan. this how it breaks down- i am entitled to £x loan money, which i rejected

these grants are apparently ''only available for students who started uni in september 2006''. I'm not a 1st year so eh no help for me :@

(Sorry, i replied over a month late- or 2 lol, you should of Pm'd me :j: )

yea i should have..:) don't worry i haven't taken up the loan..there seriously has to be another way around this or other help available..the uk govt is VERY iffy when it comes to grants.. people really have to do some serious hunting.

tell me about me, to get my £1000 bursery i needed my mums and dads consent that they approve the student finance to assess how much they earn, if they earn less then I will get £1000 lol. when i filled the PN1 form in, i made both of them sign the bursery bit MAY LAST YEAR. but they ignored it and told me in december that i will not get the bursery, i ignored it, or delayed it until last week where i had to do mums, which was easy but i could not do dads

but they do ask too many questions and if you forgot or missed 1 section, it takes couple weeks to ammend it lol

it takes couple weeks to ammend it lol
Ha. the joey's got my details mixed up with some other student with similar details..:s wth..this is why we have ART id's :S so incompetent!

btw bro heres one student thread from some next site that should help u out :sl:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.moneysavingexpert(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forumdisplay.html?f=25"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.moneysavingexpert(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forumdisplay.html?f=25[/url]

also try and get hold of ur unis '''student access/hardship funds' application form. the last time i checked..(last year) they said u need to apply for a loan first to get access to these funds... well if you cite religious reasons and that u don't want to end up in debt ( :@ ) they might just let u off :j:

:)

JazakAllah for posting the moneysavingexpert site.

I didnt take out a loan but rather set up a direct debit payment. Its makes the payment more managable and affordable.

And start saving.