Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aino

Finnish Paganism

Hyvää päivä!

I just love being a heathen, a Finnish pagan, more specifically. Unlike a believer in one of the dogmatic monotheistic religions, I can do, say, and think whatever I feel is right based on my personal spiritual experiences. No Sharia Law for me! Just myself, beautiful Finnish nature, and the gods and goddesses. No heaven or hell for me after death, just Tuonela, the deathland of eternal sleep that all shall enter after this life, no matter how "good" or "bad" we've been. It really makes you do what you think is right just for the simple reason that it's right, not because you'll be tortured eternally for it in the fiery depths of hell by a god that supposedly loves you. I honestly don't know how you can feel the least bit alive and free when you have to spend your life monitoring every action of yours because it could possibly be "sinful".

May you find Ukko Ylijumala (or anything else for that matter) that will help you grow spiritually instead of dogmatically and fearfully.

Näkemiin!

PropellerAds
Hyvää päivä!

I just love being a heathen, a Finnish pagan, more specifically. Unlike a believer in one of the dogmatic monotheistic religions, I can do, say, and think whatever I feel is right based on my personal spiritual experiences. No Sharia Law for me! Just myself, beautiful Finnish nature, and the gods and goddesses. No heaven or hell for me after death, just Tuonela, the deathland of eternal sleep that all shall enter after this life, no matter how "good" or "bad" we've been. It really makes you do what you think is right just for the simple reason that it's right, not because you'll be tortured eternally for it in the fiery depths of hell by a god that supposedly loves you. I honestly don't know how you can feel the least bit alive and free when you have to spend your life monitoring every action of yours because it could possibly be "sinful".

May you find Ukko Ylijumala (or anything else for that matter) that will help you grow spiritually instead of dogmatically and fearfully.

Näkemiin!

I can see from your post that you appear to have the idea that we constantly monitor our behavior so that we are not zapped by a mean vengeful God.

What you may be interested in learning is that we seek the protection of God's law, to protect us from the HELL we would inflict upon our own selves by the consequences of our actions, not the fear of being punished by God.

What your published belief system will yield you later as it continues to manifest itself in your actions is that you will be lead to do things that you will later regret because you will see later in hindsight that there was a better path you could have taken to avoid the problems that will come with the actions you are bound to take as a result of your belief system.

Hi Aino

wow wow wow

Finnish paganism is simply beautiful.

Can I ask you one thing?

Is Jumala , Ukko?

I mean , are they the same god?

It seems to me they are :sl:

P.S Ilmatar rulez :sl:

Edited by Forever Young

I can see from your post that you appear to have the idea that we constantly monitor our behavior so that we are not zapped by a mean vengeful God.

What you may be interested in learning is that we seek the protection of God's law, to protect us from the HELL we would inflict upon our own selves by the consequences of our actions, not the fear of being punished by God.

What your published belief system will yield you later as it continues to manifest itself in your actions is that you will be lead to do things that you will later regret because you will see later in hindsight that there was a better path you could have taken to avoid the problems that will come with the actions you are bound to take as a result of your belief system.

There wouldn't be consequences for your actions if your god didn't view them as wrong and in doing so cause everyone who commits certain acts to go to hell. Maybe you are protected by God's law, but you're only from God's law. It's just a huge never-ending circle of insanity.

Also, would you like to inform me about the problems I will end up having as a result of my belief system? I'm sure I will have problems in the future and make decisions I wish that I hadn't, but I really don't see how that's different from anyone else with any other belief system or no belief system.

Hi Aino

wow wow wow

Finnish paganism is simply beautiful.

Can I ask you one thing?

Is Jumala , Ukko?

I mean , are they the same god?

It seems to me they are :sl:

P.S Ilmatar rulez :sl:

I'm glad you like Finnish paganism.

Yes, both Jumala and Ukko are the same god, the supreme god more precisely. It's confusing because he's referred to using a lot of names, just like many other gods, goddesses, and mythological characters.

Ilmatar was actually a character created by Elias Lönnrot who wrote the Finnish epic the Kalevala, who was an air spirit that created the world and was the mother of the hero Väinämöinen. I still find it interesting how she was impregnated by the sea foam once she feel from the sky into the water, though.

I'm glad you like Finnish paganism.

Yes, both Jumala and Ukko are the same god, the supreme god more precisely. It's confusing because he's referred to using a lot of names, just like many other gods, goddesses, and mythological characters.

Ilmatar was actually a character created by Elias Lönnrot who wrote the Finnish epic the Kalevala, who was an air spirit that created the world and was the mother of the hero Väinämöinen. I still find it interesting how she was impregnated by the sea foam once she feel from the sky into the water, though.

yeah , the sky god.

I had some doubts whether they were the same god or not , thank you very much for the confirm.

I've read the Kalevala (in italian ) ,and I found it fantastic :sl:

The description of Ilmatar is very very beautiful , I think I fell in love with her :sl:

Aino , do you also believe in all Norse gods?

I honestly don't know how you can feel the least bit alive and free when you have to spend your life monitoring every action of yours because it could possibly be "sinful".

Having no doubt in what is right and what is wrong, making goals and gaining endless satisfaction in achieving them, and living life as you are meant to live it--with a purpose-- isn't as constrictive as you seem to believe.

I, on the other hand, can't imagine how anyone can find happiness in a lawless and lost existance, which is what yours seems to be. I would also advice you to be careful about preaching your religious beliefs on the forum, as that is against the forum rules.

Forever Young, I find it odd that you, as a Christian according to your profile, are praising someone who has no belief in God and whose beliefs are almost polar opposite to that of your religion. What would Jesus do? I'm curious.

Salam.

Forever Young, I find it odd that you, as a Christian according to your profile, are praising someone who has no belief in God and whose beliefs are almost polar opposite to that of your religion.

And ..

Can't I appreciate it?

I'm not a closed mind person and my passion for Scandinavian mythology has nothing to do with my beliefs.

What would Jesus do?

what ?

I dont think I got what you mean.

point 2

What do you know about paganism?

How can you say that Aino has a lawless and lost existence?

Please tell me your definition of happiness.

Forever Young, I find it odd that you, , are praising someone who has no belief in God

who said Aino has no belief in God?

Should Aino 's God be necessarily the Christian or Islamic God?

You seem to be getting defensive over a curious question. First, allow me to answer your questions.

She is lost because she has not found God yet (or has chosen not to, whatever the case might be). And by this, I'm referring to the fact that she rejects His teachings, which is specifically that the hereafter exists and that mankind should live by the laws of God, something you should already know. She prefers a lawless existance by her own admittance. When I say lawless existance, I'm speaking of the laws of God, and not of mankind. She does not believe in law and structure in the hereafter and therefore leads a life devoid of Divine moral code and justice.

Now. When I ask what would Jesus do, I'm simply curious as to what you believe Jesus would have done if he had encountered such a person. Would he show appreciation for her words and encourage her to speak more about her beliefs, which are contradictory to what he was teaching? Or would he attempt to guide her? Again, this is a simple question and I hope you don't take it as anything more.

Salam.

who said Aino has no belief in God?

Should Aino 's God be necessarily the Christian or Islamic God?

Because to believe in God is to believe in Him alone, and anyone who believes in anything more does not have true faith in God. Is the "Christianity" on your profile not because you are a Christian? There is no such thing as "my God, your God, Aino's God". There is only One God, who has created us to worship Him alone. It'll be interesting to see a Christian dispute this in defense of a polytheist.

I'm not even sure why you would ask such a question. As a Christian, don't you believe that Aino should follow what Jesus taught?

Salam.

As a christian, I quite frankly do not personally believe that the Quran was divinely inspired. But I appreciate Islam, and I respect what it has accomplished. I think ths is the attitude that Forever Young has, Redeem.

Hi Redeem

no no , I was not getting difensive . Sorry if I seemed I was.

I just didnt understand why it sounds strange to you if I appreciate someone else 's belief.

She prefers a lawless existance by her own admittance. When I say lawless existance, I'm speaking of the laws of God, and not of mankind. She does not believe in law and structure in the hereafter and therefore leads a life devoid of Divine moral code and justice.

No , she did not say she has a lawless existance .

She said that she's free from your laws which does not mean she has no rules in her life.

She does not believe in law and structure in the hereafter and therefore leads a life devoid of Divine moral code and justice.[

Yes she does.

Tuonela is her hereafter, of course it's very different from the monotheistic hereafter .

Now. When I ask what would Jesus do, I'm simply curious as to what you believe Jesus would have done if he had encountered such a person. Would he show appreciation for her words and encourage her to speak more about her beliefs, which are contradictory to what he was teaching? Or would he attempt to guide her? Again, this is a simple question and I hope you don't take it as anything more.

Redeem , I really did not understand your question.

What would Jesus do?

I don't know but I can answer with his own words.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Jesus never forced anyone to follow him.

Peace

Edited by Forever Young

As a Christian, don't you believe that Aino should follow what Jesus taught?

Salam.

My dear Redeem.

As a Christian , I believe in freedom of faith.

As a christian, I quite frankly do not personally believe that the Quran was divinely inspired. But I appreciate Islam, and I respect what it has accomplished. I think ths is the attitude that Forever Young has, Redeem.

Indeed.

I do not believe in gods but I found Scandinavian mythology very fascinating.

I dont think there's something wrong with this. :sl:

Byzantine society was a very consevative christian one back in the middle ages, yet they still taught their children the Homeric Epic.

Byzantine society was a very consevative christian one back in the middle ages, yet they still taught their children the Homeric Epic.

Indeed.

P.S Russ are you going to accept Reagan's ( :sl:) invitation?

I'm really not criticizing her. I'm just, as I said, curious. I was interested in knowing the proper Christian response to a pagan? That's what I wanted to know, and I hope no one thinks I have any ulterior motives.

I've read a lot of mythology and religion in my time, and have always enjoyed them as I would any fiction. But if approached by a pagan, I couldn't bring myself to show admiration for their beliefs. I would feel very guilty.

Of course, this is all me and no one should be offended by it.

no no , I was not getting difensive . Sorry if I seemed I was.

I just didnt understand you it sounds strange to you if I appreciate someone else 's belief.

It doesn't sound strange at all. The only reason I questioned is because I wanted to understand your own reasoning. Personally, I can appreciate creativity and the human imagination. But I can't bring myself to appreciate anything beyond that. By showing appreciation, I would feel as though I'm condoning it. I hope this makes sense.

No , she did not says she has a lawless existance .

She said that she's free from your laws which does not mean she has no rules in her life.

Perhaps Aino herself can answer this, since it sounds as though she clearly stated that she is free of Divine laws of right and wrong. This is what I inferred from her comment "It really makes you do what you think is right just for the simple reason that it's right, not because you'll be tortured eternally for it in the fiery depths of hell by a god that supposedly loves you."

I'm sure she has laws that she follows, everyone does. But does she believe in the laws of gods/goddesses that dictate morality?

Yes she does.

Tuonela is her hereafter, of course it's very different from the monotheistic hereafter .

I concede this point.

Redeem , I really did not understand your question.

What would Jesus do?

I don't know but I can answer you with his own words.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Jesus never forced anyone to follow him.

But wasn't the point of Jesus' existance to guide people? I mean beyond the belief that he died for humanity's sins. I only wanted to know how Jesus would act if met with a pagan. If he would take this as an opportunity to guide the person (without force, of course), or simply show appreciation for pagan beliefs. I don't expect you to know this, I just wanted to hear your opinion. But I apologize if you feel like I'm putting you on the spot.

Indeed.

I do not believe in gods but I found Scandinavian mythology very fascinating.

I dont think there's something wrong with this. unsure.gif

It's not a matter of right and wrong, I just wanted to understand the situation better.

Salam.

Redeem , I was showing my appreciation for Scandinavian mythology . I did not say I believe in what Aino believes.

I also find Greek and Roman mythology very beautiful , but I know it's just mythology. I can never believe in the Olimpic gods.

I hope I clarified what I initially meant.

Redeem , I was showing my appreciation for Scandinavian mythology . I did not say I believe in what Aino believes.

I also find Greek and Roman mythology very beautiful , but I know it's just mythology. I can never believe in the Olimpic gods.

I hope I clarified what I initially meant.

Absolutely. :sl:

Salam.

Aino , do you also believe in all Norse gods?

I personally don't recognize the Norse gods, but some Finnish pagans do. Ukko has many similar characteristics with Odin and Thor.

Having no doubt in what is right and what is wrong, making goals and gaining endless satisfaction in achieving them, and living life as you are meant to live it--with a purpose-- isn't as constrictive as you seem to believe.

I, on the other hand, can't imagine how anyone can find happiness in a lawless and lost existance, which is what yours seems to be. I would also advice you to be careful about preaching your religious beliefs on the forum, as that is against the forum rules.

I'm not saying my life has no purpose; I'm just saying that there isn't one way that my life is "meant" to be, as you put it. And since you also asked whether the gods and goddesses dictate my morality to me in one of your later posts, they don't dictate it to me. There are sacred locations that I visit up here in Lapland where I worship them (mostly Ukko as he's the most important) and contemplate my life and what I believe, hopefully with some wisdom from the great Jumala.

P.S Russ are you going to accept Reagan's ( :sl:) invitation?

Did I miss a memo or something? :sl:

Edited by Russ of Vespuccia

Hyvää päivä!

Näkemiin!

sallam,

A heathen is defined as an irreligious , uncultured uncivilized person, a pagan who worships idols, so you love being uncultured and uncivilized?? I dont know how a person can live being uncivilized and uncultured, in fact you are a lie to your own belief. To use a computer is using what is part of the now culture but yet you claim that you are a heathen, to follow a belief a religion with Ukko is not irreligious it is religious but you love being a heathen? How is this form of worship you speak of not dogmatic?? How can Ukko Ylijumala help you gro spirtually when the end result is that you love being a Heathen you love being uncivilized you love being uncultured, How can an uncivilized uncultured irreligous person grow spirtually????

And ..

Can't I appreciate it?

I'm not a closed mind person and my passion for Scandinavian mythology has nothing to do with my beliefs.

Your passion should be for God and Jesus and nothing else you are not sticking to your belief, Thou shall take no other Gods before me!! I think you better check your passion

How can you say that Aino has a lawless and lost existence?

Well lol he is a heathen

How can an uncivilized uncultured irreligous person grow spirtually????

How can a bigoted close minded person understand and respect other's beliefs ?

Your passion should be for God and Jesus and nothing else you are not sticking to your belief, Thou shall take no other Gods before me!! I think you better check your passion

Thank you for your advice.

Well lol he is a heathen

Aino is a she .

Edited by Forever Young