Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jibrael

Who Is The Author Of The Qur'an?

Peace to all!

Throughout the western world's history, there has always been a conflict between religion and science. The conflict arises from the debate that the Bible, although it is the source of inspiration for many, contradicts the latest scientific findings in the universe. Not so much the idea that Moses (peace be upon him) can part the Red Sea, or that Jesus (peace be upon) could turn water into wine, but the fact that if the Creator would have written this book, it would contain information that was not known to the people who wrote it at that time. For example, if a kid in Grade 8 has to do a history report, and he got his older brother to do it, it should contain highly sophisticated words and be grammaticly creative. Which brings me to the topic at hand.

Muhammad :saas:, according to history, was illiterate, but, I'll give my non-Muslim guests the benefit of the doubt. Let's assume he was literate, not only that, but also the greatest scholar and scientist of his time. Remember, there were no telescopes, no microscopes, no GPS at that time. So, if Muhammad :saas: did in fact write the Qur'an himself, why would it contain verses such as this?:

"Do not the disbelievers know that the Heavens and the Earth were once joined together (as one united piece) and then We parted them? Then We made from water every living thing. Would they then not believe?"

(21:30)

Modern scientists are in agreement that the only rational and provable explanation of the beginning of the universe is The Big Bang. As you all know, right before the Big Bang, all matter in the Universe was as small as a golf ball, condensed. So that means your computer, yourself, the Sun, the moon, were all joined together. Who told the Prophet Muhammad :saas: this?

"Indeed, We have built the Heavens with might, and indeed We are expanding it." (51:47)

Again, scientists now know that the Universe is constanly expanding. Even Einstein thought the universe was static until Edwin Hubble, discovered that the stars and galaxies were moving away from each other. How could the Prophet Muhammad :saas: or anyone for that matter, know that the universe is expanding?

"And the Sun runs to it's resting place. That is the decree of the Almighty, the All-Knowing." (36:38)

The word resting place (mustaqarr) in Arabic, means a destination, or stopping point. Scientists have discovered that the Sun is moving in a particular orbit. Not only that, but there is a point in the Universe that the Sun is heading to, which is called the Solar Apex. From Wikipedia: "The general direction of the solar apex is southwest of the star Vega near the constellation of Hercules. There are several coordinates for the solar apex. The visual coordinates (as obtained by visual observation of the apparent motion) is right ascension (RA) 18h 28m 0s and declination (dec) of 30° North, and in galactic coordinates as 57° galactic latitude, 27° galactic longitude. The radioastronomical position is RA 18h 03m 50.2s and dec 30° 0′ 16.8″."

"Have We not made the Earth as a bed and the mountains it's pegs?" (78:6-7)

Here, Allah ta'ala is telling us that the mountains are like pegs. The word peg in Arabic (awtad) refers to the stakes that the Arabs used to make tents. The stakes would stick into the ground, allowing for the tent to be raised up. Geologists have recently discovered that mountains have a portion stretching downward as long as their visible portion. The mountains are usually sticking into the ground to connect tectonic plates. The function of mountains is to prevent constant earthquakes, which would make life very hard on Earth. The bigger the mountain, the more stable the sorrounding area is. This term is called Isostasy. From Britannica: "theoretical balance of all large portions of the Earth's crust as though they were floating on a denser underlying layer, about 110 km (70 miles) below the surface. Imaginary columns of equal cross-sectional area that rise from this layer to the surface are assumed to have equal weights everywhere on Earth, even though their constituents and the elevations of their upper surfaces are significantly different. This means that an excess of mass seen as material above sea level, as in a mountain system, is due to a deficit of mass, or low-density roots, below sea level."

"That He created the male and female, from a sperm-drop when it is lodged." (53:45-46)

Here, the Qur'an states that the gender of a baby is determinded by the male's sperm cells, and that the female's egg has no role in this process. This has been confirmed by modern science. The female sex chromosomes are XX, while the male's sex chromosomes are XY. Back in the middle ages, it was thought that a baby's sex was determined by the mother. This was why women were blamed when they gave birth to girls. However, 1400 years ago, the Qur'an clearly states that the sperm determines the baby's sex.

There are many more verses that talk about many different scientific fields, which I will post later on. So, I would like to hear some responses to my non-Muslim guests. Where did the Prophet Muhammad :saas: get this information from?

Edited by Jibrael

PropellerAds
Muhammad :saas:, according to history, was illiterate, but, I'll give my non-Muslim guests the benefit of the doubt. Let's assume he was literate, not only that, but also the greatest scholar and scientist of his time. Remember, there were no telescopes, no microscopes, no GPS at that time. So, if Muhammad :saas: did in fact write the Qur'an himself, why would it contain verses such as this?

That is mind boggling...But here are some possibilities.

First off illitrate doesn't mean incompetent...Even so the prophet couldn't read and write, he could still speak and understand. Maybe he was exceptionally intelligent, and being a merchant who travels...He was able to collect his wisdom verbally ...from China and other trading routes where the Smarty pants hung out.

"Do not the disbelievers know that the Heavens and the Earth were once joined together (as one united piece) and then We parted them? Then We made from water every living thing. Would they then not believe?"

(21:30)

This is a typical fuzzy match...we don' t know what is meant by "heavens"..whether it means a star, planet, galaxy, or the entire universe. The big bang is just a theory and if proven wrong tomorrow, I am sure the the interpretaion of the verse will adapt easily. :D

Modern scientists are in agreement that the only rational and provable explanation of the beginning of the universe is The Big Bang. As you all know, right before the Big Bang, all matter in the Universe was as small as a golf ball, condensed. So that means your computer, yourself, the Sun, the moon, were all joined together. Who told the Prophet Muhammad :saas: this?

Same source that told him that the world is flat , spread out like a carpet. :D

"Indeed, We have built the Heavens with might, and indeed We are expanding it." (51:47)

Again, U assume that "Heavens" mean universe.

Lke I pointed out on "Islam & Science Thread"...if it takes 2-4 days for god to make the earth..How can the entire universe take only 2-4 days also?

"And the Sun runs to it's resting place. That is the decree of the Almighty, the All-Knowing." (36:38)

It's also said that sun sets in the muddy springs. Again, I can find few conflicting scenarios in which the verse would make sense

that's it for now. :D

Peace

Edited by llogical

That is mind boggling...But here are some possibilities.

First off illitrate doesn't mean incompetent...Even so the prophet couldn't read and write, he could still speak and understand. Maybe he was exceptionally intelligent, and being a merchant who travels...He was able to collect his wisdom verbally ...from China and other trading routes where the Smarty pants hung out.

This is a typical fuzzy match...we don' t know what is meant by "heavens"..whether it means a star, planet, galaxy, or the entire universe. The big bang is just a theory and if proven wrong tomorrow, I am sure the the interpretaion of the verse will adapt easily. :D

The Arabic word here translated as Heavens is Samaaa. Samaaa means anything that is above the Earth. This is apparent in many verses. Allah will swear by the Samaaa, the Heavens and what it contains. "Was-Samaaa i thaatil buruuj" (By the Heavens that contains huge stars) "Was-Samaaa i wat-Taariq" (By the Heavens and the Night Star)

Same source that told him that the world is flat , spread out like a carpet. :D

No, the verse you are talking about is either (79:30) Wal arda ba'da thaalika dahaahaa. In Arabic this means that the Earth is smoothed over. It doesn't mean it's flat. An egg is smooth, is it not? dahaahaa is also from the root word dahiya, which means ostrich egg.

Again, U assume that "Heavens" mean universe.

Lke I pointed out on "Islam & Science Thread"...if it takes 2-4 days for god to make the earth..How can the entire universe take only 2-4 days also?

The word Yawm in Arabic can mean day or a period of time. Ayyam is the plural of day, or periods of time. It's not like English, where a day can only mean 24 hours. The Universe was made in 6 ayyam and the Earth in 2 ayyam. Scientists estimate that the Earth is 4.5 Billion years old, while the universe is around 13.5 Billion. That comes out to a 6:2 ratio.

It's also said that sun sets in the muddy springs. Again, I can find few conflicting scenarios in which the verse would make sense

that's it for now. :D

Peace

Even scientists refer to the sun as setting and rising. Of course we all know that the Sun is travelling through space and not revolving around the Earth. Allah ta'ala is saying this so that normal people will understand it. If He said "where the Earth slightly rotates at a point where the sun is no longer visible" the desert Arabs wouldn't have understood. The word Maghrib refers to the time when the sun is no longer visible. It's translated as "set" in English, but Maghrib is the common word for when the sun has "set".

Illogical, I find it funny that Atheists were once touting the Big Bang as the end of religion, and now that you know about Islam, you are waiting for it to be disproven! :D

Illogical, I find it funny that Atheists were once touting the Big Bang as the end of religion, and now that you know about Islam, you are waiting for it to be disproven! :D

Salaams

I'm Glad u find it funny...caz that's just me all about fun :D

But I am not an Atheist nor can Vouch for the Touting...Any scientist knows that Science is an ongoing process....new evidence, new theories etc...

BLast I checked, Big Bang was still a theory with Substancial Evidence....STILL A THEORY.

The point I was trying to make was that Science shouldn't be used to validate religion bcaz science changes..and religious teaching don't ......I fear what happens is that interpretations of interpretations of religious teachings change to keep up with science.

And that isn't useful Or fair.

that was all.

Peace :D

Salaams

I'm Glad u find it funny...caz that's just me all about fun :D

But I am not an Atheist nor can Vouch for the Touting...Any scientist knows that Science is an ongoing process....new evidence, new theories etc...

BLast I checked, Big Bang was still a theory with Substancial Evidence....STILL A THEORY.

The point I was trying to make was that Science shouldn't be used to validate religion bcaz science changes..and religious teaching don't ......I fear what happens is that interpretations of interpretations of religious teachings change to keep up with science.

And that isn't useful Or fair.

that was all.

Peace :D

Peace,

Well, so far, there hasn't been anything disproven in the Qur'an, and it's been 14 centuries. Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered the Cosmic Background Radiation left over from The Big Bang in 1964. Where did the CBR come from? But it's not just the big bang, there are literally hundreds of different fields of science that are intelligently known in the Qur'an. Not only that, but the Qur'an itself is mathematically amazing. Check this out...

The Word day is repeated 365 times in the Qur'an in singular

The word "days" it's dual and plural forms is repeated 30 times

The word "month" is repeated 12 times

The Word "world" is repeated 115 times

The Word "hereafter" is repeated 115 times

Life (Hayat) ---> 145

Death (Mawt) ---> 145

Say (Qul) ---> 332

They Said (Qaaluu) ---> 332

Cultivation (Harth) ---> 14

Agriculture (Zira'ah) ---> 14

Paradise (Jannah) ---> 77

Hell (Jahannam) ---> 77

Angels (Malaaika) ---> 88

Devils (Shaytaan) ---> 88

Alcohol (Khamr) ---> 6

Drunkenness (Suqar) ---> 6

Faith (Iman) ---> 25

Disbelief (Kufr) ---> 25

Man (Rijal) ---> 24

Woman (Imra'ah) ---> 24

Charity (Zakah) ---> 32

Blessing (Barakah) ---> 32

Land (Barr) ---> 13

Sea (Bahr) ---> 32

The number of times land and sea are both mentioned is 45. This is actually the exact ratio of Land to Water on Earth 32:13

Is it merely a coincidence that all of these words, placed in different areas in the Qur'an, coincide?

salaams

Well, so far, there hasn't been anything disproven in the Qur'an, and it's been 14 centuries.

Nothing's been disproven bcaz of below reaons

1.The Science mentioned in quran is mentioned too vague, and can be interpreted in anyway to coincide with science.

2. We examine the proofs holdong premise "Quran can never be wrong" as true.

Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered the Cosmic Background Radiation left over from The Big Bang in 1964. Where did the CBR come from?[/

What are my options? :D

Also u should check out Islam & science section :D

Peace

Comon people, the answer is a no brainer. The author is sum dude(s). Books don't write themselves.

Guest amani

^^^^

Say: if the mankind and the Jinn were to gather to produce the like of this Qur’aan, they cannot produce the like thereof even if they helped one another

17:88

And if you are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (i.e. the Qur’aan) to Our slave (Muhammad) then produce a Soorah (chapter) of the like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allaah, if you are truthful. But if you do it not, and you can never do it, then fear the Fire whose fuel is men and stones, prepared for the disbelievers

2:23-24

Say: if the mankind and the Jinn were to gather to produce the like of this Qur’aan, they cannot produce the like thereof even if they helped one another

17:88

Salaams

Ok, I've struggled to undserstand this for a while.. :D

What is meant by that?

I mean I can sit here and write my autobiography and then challenge the world/jinns/Aliens to write a book like mines and they would probably fails because they are not me.( No disrespect)

I mean if some one was to sit down and try to write a book like Quran (let's say he.she doesn't get struck by lightening :D) what is the criteria that needs to be met?

Example:

Must be in arabic.

Must Rhyme.

Must have 30 verses containing atleast 4 syllables.

Must have neat stuff about divine..etc

Peace

I mean I can sit here and write my autobiography and then challenge the world/jinns/Aliens to write a book like mines and they would probably fails because they are not me.( No disrespect)

:D

The incomparablity/uniqueness or whateva of Quran is not because of its tales. It miraculous comes mostly from its unreachable position of eloquence, not because of its infrequent stories or autobiographys. No one never ever can reach this position of literature.

I cant see any logic in your words. Your post up there is very very very absurd.

Edited by vdtwo

Comon people, the answer is a no brainer. The author is sum dude(s). Books don't write themselves.

3d, you probably just scrolled down and went to Add Reply without looking at my post.

:D

The incomparablity/uniqueness or whateva of Quran is not because of its tales. It miraculous comes mostly from its unreachable position of eloquence, not because of its infrequent stories or autobiographys. No one never ever can reach this position of literature.

I cant see any logic in your words. Your post up there is very very very absurd.

Eloquence:is fluent, forcible, elegant or persuasive speaking in public. It is primarily the power of expressing strong emotions in striking and appropriate language, thereby producing conviction or persuasion(wikipedia)

Let's see now...No one can write another quran because it's very convincing? :D

Here is what comes to mind..6 billion people....and 1.5 are convinced...

Comapred to a book about let's say claculus....6 billion people...6 billion convinced..

So...Ma brother, ur theory goes down the hooooooool :D

If a claim can't be tested then what's the use?

Peace

Eloquence:is fluent, forcible, elegant or persuasive speaking in public. It is primarily the power of expressing strong emotions in striking and appropriate language, thereby producing conviction or persuasion(wikipedia)

Let's see now...No one can write another quran because it's very convincing? :D

Here is what comes to mind..6 billion people....and 1.5 are convinced...

Comapred to a book about let's say claculus....6 billion people...6 billion convinced..

So...Ma brother, ur theory goes down the hooooooool :D

If a claim can't be tested then what's the use?

Peace

Illogical, if everyone was convinced, then the Qur'an would be wrong. And some people really don't know about the miracles in the Qur'an.

Assalam o Ala Manitaba Al Huda

The author of Quran is Allah swt. It was revealed unto Mohammed :D through the angel Jibrael alayhe Salam

The factoid that you have mentioned is concerning Rasul Allah :D and is half-truth. Rasul Allah :D married Ayesha :ra: when she was 6 years of age and consumated the marriage when she was 9 years of age. Marriage with girls of that age is not controversial nor taboo in Islam. However It is preferred that consumation be made only after the girl becoming mature.

It is only by way of secular influence that we tend to see this as an act of opression. consumation of marriage is with the consent of the woman so there is nothing obsecure in it.

:ws:

Edited by abuhajira

in other words you approve of men having sex with 9 year old children that are considered "mature"....it's amazing how low ppl would sink to defend some things :D

I suppose my disgust at your pedophelic leanings is due to this terrible secular influence?

Edited by 3dshocker

:D/Peace To All

I believe in ancient times, the vast majority, if not all cultures, had men marry young girls. It was the norm, back then.

As for now, the vast majority refuse to partake in such a marriage...

It is simple logic if one studies history and I know most people rather not listen at all and live by hate or ignorance.

The age of Aisha (ra) has always been disputed. According to the Brief History of Islam, she was around 20 years of age. Some believed she was 12 etc. However traditionally she was of age 9 when the marriage took place, so we'll look at that.

Muhammad (saw) lived in the 7th Century, not the 21st century, make sure you understand this as we continue...

Best thing to do is to look at some FACTS (please read them):

1. Jewish Maidens back two millenias ago were married off at the age of 12 and a half. Mary the mother of Jesus (as), historically was a maiden and would have married to Joseph the Carpenter at 12 and a half. She would have given birth a year or to be fair around when she was 14 (You can look it up, Catholic Encyclopedia also reports this).

2. Life Expentancy: What was the life expentancy of people living even a thousand years ago? Many boys and girls used to marry around 15 years of age, an average especially in the middle east. In the 21st Century, life expentancy is seen in the 80's (Western World mostly). Look it all up!

3. Who was this "9 year old girl"? Her name was Aisha (ra), daughter of Abu Bakr. Abu Bakr was the BEST FRIEND OF THE PROPHET MUHAMMAD (saw)-keyword is best friend-who agreed to the marriage when she was "old enough" and that was exactly what happened He was engaged to her but it did not mean he consumated as it would be cosnidered a sin before Marriage (consumation is only allowed AFTER MARRIAGE). She became one of the "Mothers of the Believers" to the point that people would travel all over the world just to learn from her. She became an important figure in history, a scholarly woman and one who accounted over 2,000 (if I can recall) reports of Hadiths. Is this sound of a person who was a "victim"?

4. Why did not any Muslim OR Non-Muslims at the time object to such as marriage at the time? Have you wondered about that?

5. Lets go into the future a bit, what is the difference between a 9 year old now and a 9 year old living in the 19th century? Is it not true that children were much more learned in their studies than now? They used to learn calculus in a VERY young age, now we learn it in either Grade 12 or in Univesity/College. Society has changed. Take a simple example, twenty years ago Homosexuality was seen as a psychological problem. Now it's been accepted in parts of the world, even to the point of marriage...

History has alot of answers my friend, and so does common sense.

the idea is that we know better then people of the past, this is what separates modern civilizations from primitive ones. Several thousand years ago, abortion was acceptable up to the point where the baby has not been named. Wonderful times eh?

the idea is that we know better then people of the past, this is what separates modern civilizations from primitive ones. Several thousand years ago, abortion was acceptable up to the point where the baby has not been named. Wonderful times eh?

It depends on what timeframe and yah some do seem primitive however some civlizations may have been far more advanced (Pyramids anyone? Some find it's better to believe in Aliens) that they are long gone, perhaps we feel we are superior because of our technological or scientific progress?

Or perhaps we aren't so modern? The 20th Century has made mankind more war-like than any other century, especially with the belief in "superiority" over other human beings. Two World-Wars, millions upon millions of innocent lives parrished in that century from war and hunger (alot has to do with mankinds greed, the pursuit of money).

I can critisize how far we have gotten but maybe we can learn from history, that perhaps we can achieve a greater future, one of peace and prosperity from learning. Knowledge is power....

when I say primitive I do not mean technology as thats a bit obvious, i'm refering to societies ethics. I'd say we have much better ones today then the people of past times....cept maybe the hippies.....they never cause any problems.

Wow, I really did think that was made up by someone who hated Islam.

I just gotta say though, maybe the Quran isn't as perfect as people say, when you would never find someone (especially a man of god) marrying nine year olds in this day and age?

because some people cant think beyond thier genitals they totally fail to realise that marraige is a contract, all them words that are exchanged in the ceremony are binding in a contract... now as ive mentioned before when i travelled to pakistan i met ladies who claimed they where only 22 when they clearly werent, what some people need to realise is that not every culture has a big thing about birthdays, in pakistan i've even met people who havent a clue how old they are and no they werent backwards people just people who couldnt care less about thier age and cared more about thier health....

Edited by shaidmahmood