Islamic Forum
diverdown

Iran Unveils Fighter Plane

(www.)"hosted.ap/dynamic/stories/I/IRAN_MILITARY?SITE=WHIZ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-09-06-03-47-45"]Link[/url]

Sep 6, 3:47 AM EDT

Iran Unveils Locally Made Fighter Plane

By NASSER KARIMI

Associated Press Writer

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Iran unveiled its first locally manufactured fighter plane Wednesday during large-scale military exercises, state-run television reported.

The report said the bomber Saegheh is similar to the American F-18 fighter plane, but "more powerful." It also said the plane was "designed, optimized and improved by Iranian experts."

State TV said the Iranian air force had commissioned the Saegheh plane after many test flights in the past year.

Television footage showed the airplane taking off and launching two rockets. The plane had a small ####pit and only one pilot.

"Saegheh is capable of launching both rockets and bombs," the report said.

General Karim Ghavami, commander of Iran's air force, told state-run television that the war games were being held "to show the trans-regional forces that we are ready to defend our country up to the latest drop of our blood."

The Islamic republic is concerned about the U.S. military presence in neighboring Iraq and Afghanistan at a time when the international community has threatened to impose sanctions against Tehran because of its disputed nuclear program.

During the war-games, which began Aug. 19 and have been dubbed "The Blow of Zolfaghar," Iran has test-fired short-range, surface-to-surface missiles, submarine-to-surface missiles, a new air defense system and laser bombs.

Iran's military also test-fired a series of missiles during war games in the Persian Gulf in March and April, including a missile it claimed was undetectable by radar and could use multiple warheads to hit several targets simultaneously.

After decades of relying on foreign weapons purchases, Iran now says it is increasingly self-sufficient, claiming it annually exports more than $100 million worth of military equipment to more than 50 countries.

Since 1992, Iran has produced its own tanks, armored personnel carriers and missiles, the government said. It announced in early 2005 that it had begun producing torpedoes. The government has not said how many warplanes it will build.

© 2006 The Associated Press.

Like an F-18, but 'more powerful'. Please !!! I'd love to see an F-18 go up against a half dozen of these death traps. Part of the idea of propaganda is to make it beleiveable. Iran failed cartoonishly.

PropellerAds

:D

Just wondering why you both think its not possible to make an aircraft more powerful than F18s??

"More powerful" is a very subjective term. It could simply mean that it has more firepower, but that it handles like a lead weight. Making some more powerful is easy, making something better in a fight is not.

One could say that the B-52 is more powerful than the F-18, but if you were to be in an airfight which would you choose?

I am certain to say this.

Iran's fighter plane cannot possibly exceed America's fighter plane...I mean USA has 50% of the WORLD'S TOTAL MILITARY BUDGET.........it would be a miracle to say the least.

Peace

I heard about the Saegheh a few years ago when it was being developed . Apparently Iran based the design on its old F5s (obtained before the revolution) which would leave it overmatched by most modern fighters and hopelessly outclassed by the latest F18s .

What's most significant is Iran being able to produce their own aircraft which is certainly better than continuing to rely on old US fighters like the F4/F5 and F14 which are obsolete even without Iran's inability to buy spare parts from the US .

The more interesting development is the Shafagh fighter which appears to be based on the Mig I-2000 design though whether it will still be competitive when Iran can produce it is another matter . The US,Russia and Europe all have much more experience in cutting edge fighter design not to mention much larger budgets for it so it's extremely unlikely that Iran could produce comparable aircraft without massive help .

it's extremely unlikely that Iran could produce comparable aircraft without massive help .

Exactly but they can continue working hard. Russia and china can help Iran to a significant extent.

I've got to see a picture of this!!

I bet it couldn't outrun a spitfire!

Why would they compare it favourably with an F18?! They're date now anyway, that's like saying "ah well now we've made a catapult we are militarily self sufficient". Come on, lets put them to the test, stop their nonsensical rhetoric once and for all and take control of their oil fields.

I've got to see a picture of this!!

I bet it couldn't outrun a spitfire!

stop their nonsensical rhetoric once and for all and take control of their oil fields.

Thats why Iran has been placed on the list of rogue states with a view to find an excuse and invade the country to get hold of its oil fields, as we have seen in the case of Iraq.

, stop their nonsensical rhetoric once and for all and take control of their oil fields.
:D/Peace To All

This is exactly the reason for the intervention, as was the reason for the invasion of Iraq.

All of our nonsensical rhetoric and excuse making was Just to deceive the domestic populace and the international community to our real objectives.

All the talk about liberating people from tyranny, saving them from massacres & torture, introducing democracy and possession of wmd's were outright lies!

:D/Peace To All

This is exactly the reason for the intervention, as was the reason for the invasion of Iraq.

All of our nonsensical rhetoric and excuse making was Just to deceive the domestic populace and the international community to our real objectives.

All the talk about liberating people from tyranny, saving them from massacres & torture, introducing democracy and possession of wmd's were outright lies!

If anybody was deceived then more fool them.

Of course it's about oil, it always will be about oil. We need it so we'll have it, else we'll be held to ransom by these crackpots forever more.

I say the USA should start mining for it's shale oil in Colorado, and to hell with the damned middle east.

As for Iran, I'm glad they can afford to make airfix planes, so long as the people don't go hungry. At least the US built their military as a result of hard work AFTER the people were able to fend for themselves.

If anybody was deceived then more fool them.

Of course it's about oil, it always will be about oil. We need it so we'll have it, else we'll be held to ransom by these crackpots forever more.

Finally someone who says it like it is without all the hypocritical moaning about democracy and human rights and liberation. It's about power, it's about energy, it is the way it has always been.

Finally someone who says it like it is without all the hypocritical moaning about democracy and human rights and liberation. It's about power, it's about energy, it is the way it has always been.

And the way it will be until we don't need them anymore.

One thing though, which is always forgotten with this type of argument, is that they are not giving oil away - they are making a fine profit out of it.

We gave them our trade, we developed their oil industry, we therefore have vested interests that we need to protect. That's why we go to war. If we didn't trade with them, if we didn't develop the industry, where would these people be? Crawling in the desert naked, begging for us to invade them and develop their oil industry so they could feed themselves.

Crawling in the desert naked, begging for us to invade them and develop their oil industry so they could feed themselves.

Being blunt is one thing, being deliberately offensive is another. You do yourself a discredit by saying this, it affects no one else but you and detracts from what is otherwise a succint analysis.

p.s. Crawling naked in the desert can be very uncomfortable...its not called SANDpaper for nothing you know.

Edited by Ozymandias

Being blunt is one thing, being deliberately offensive is another. You do yourself a discredit by saying this, it affects no one else but you and detracts from what is otherwise a succint analysis.

p.s. Crawling naked in the desert can be very uncomfortable...its not called SANDpaper for nothing you know.

Apologies, having re-read my post I could have chosen my words a lot better.

Disregard, if you will, the final sentence.

My point was that many middle eastern countries would be living in agrarian conditions had the West not invested in their oil and other industries.

My original point on this subject, was that the West should make moves to reduce it's reliance on middle east oil.

"My original point on this subject, was that the West should make moves to reduce it's reliance on middle east oil."

Well when we do it will no doudt be considered a deliberate attack on muslims by depriving them of money.

we therefore have vested interests that we need to protect. That's why we go to war.

So how far the strategy of getting vested interests fulfilled through war been successful in the world??????????????

Edited by Ahsan

:D

Missile accuracy and counter measures count for more than pilot skill, which was a major factor during WWII.

If Iran can mass-produce functional and reliable fighters, then good for them! Although their imported defence systems will be a bigger threat to any invading force.

Russia and China have their own motives for supplying Iran with military technology. Russia was no doubt pleased to see it's anti-tank missles rip through israel's 65ton tanks. How well will their latest SAM defence systems perform against US fighters?

Katami comes to New York , to practice his art of taqiyya :

(www.)"nypost/postopinion/opedcolumnists/lies_they_loved_at_harvard_opecolumnists_amir_taheri.htm"]nypost/postopinion/opedcolu...amir_taheri.htm[/url]

Just more lies from Iran .

But what do you expect ?

Let's see how smart the little preppies at Harvard truly are . :D

So how far the strategy of getting vested interests fulfilled through war been successful in the world??????????????

I'm sorry, you'll have to try writing that again, in generally accepted prose if you will.

....... Just more lies from Iran .

But what do you expect ?

Now the million dollar question is how are these "Iranian Lies" any different then US lies?

Oh yeah thats right, when Iran lies thousands of innocent people don’t die.