Sign in to follow this  
diverdown

U.s. Misses Golden Oppertunity

(www.)"philly/mld/philly/news/15512968.htm"]Link[/url]

Posted on Thu, Sep. 14, 2006

U.S. probing release of spy photo of Taliban

By Paul Garwood

Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan - The U.S. military said yesterday it was looking into the unauthorized release of a photo purportedly taken by an American drone aircraft and showing scores of Taliban militants at a funeral in Afghanistan.

NBC News claimed U.S. Army officers wanted to attack the ceremony with missiles carried by the Predator drone but were prevented under rules of battlefield engagement that bar attacks on cemeteries.

Lt. Tamara Lawrence, a spokeswoman with the U.S. military in Kabul, said the photo was released to NBC by someone who did not have the clearance to hand it out. "Inquiries are being made into how it was released," she said.

Lawrence declined to provide further details. It was not clear when the photo was taken or where the gathering took place. The black-and-white photo shows what NBC says are 180 militants standing near a vehicle in an open area. Gunsight-like brackets were positioned over the group in the photo.

The photo appeared on NBC correspondent Kerry Sanders' blog and never ran on TV, the network said yesterday. Sanders wrote that he was told the photo had been properly declassified but later received an "urgent request" from a U.S. Army colonel to pull it from the Web site.

"As a courtesy, and with an awareness of the danger U.S. forces are in, I had the photo pulled," he wrote. But he wrote yesterday that NBC was reposting it after a Pentagon spokesman said he was unaware of any official request to pull it.

NBC had quoted one unnamed officer involved with the spy mission as saying "we were so excited" that the group had been spotted and was in the sights of a drone. But the network quoted the officer as saying frustration set in after the officers realized they could not bomb the funeral under the military's rules of engagement.

Defense Department officials have said that while they try to be mindful of religious and cultural sensitivities, they make no promises that such sites can always be avoided in battle, because militants often seek cover in those and other civilian sites.

MAN !!! You HAVE to take that shot !!! The Taliban just killed an Afghan governor and then attacked his funeral with a homicide bomber. They aren't above attacking funerals and neither should the U.S. ! I'm sure that policy is 'under reveiw'. I wouldn't try that again if I were the Taliban. One 500 pounder and it's a 'grand slam' !! Next time..

PropellerAds
(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.philly(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mld/philly/news/15512968.htm"]Link[/url]

NBC News claimed U.S. Army officers wanted to attack the ceremony with missiles carried by the Predator drone but were prevented under rules of battlefield engagement that bar attacks on cemeteries.

no kidding. :D

I thought those kind of rules don't apply to them. :D

Edited by friend of all

no kidding. :D

I thought those kind of rules don't apply to them. :D

Yeah. It's policy, not law. I'm sure that'll change. Like I said, if I were Taliban, I wouldn't try that again. One 500 pounder and it's scrambled eggs all over. Next time.