Islamic Forum
diverdown

How Long Before Someone Takes A Shot At Benedict Xvi ?

(www.)"hosted.ap/dynamic/stories/M/MUSLIMS_POPE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT"]Link[/url]

Sep 18, 3:56 PM EDT

Iranian Leader Urges More Papal Protests

By LEE KEATH

Associated Press Writer

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- Al-Qaida in Iraq warned Pope Benedict XVI on Monday that its war against Christianity and the West will go on until Islam takes over the world, and Iran's supreme leader called for more protests over the pontiff's remarks on Islam.

Protests broke out in South Asia and Indonesia, with angry Muslims saying Benedict's statement of regret a day earlier did not go far enough. In southern Iraq, demonstrators carrying black flags burned an effigy of the pope.

Islamic leaders around the world issued more condemnations of the pope's comments, but some moderates in the Middle East appeared to be trying to put a damper on the outrage, fearing it could spiral into attacks on Christians in the region.

On Sunday, Benedict said he was "deeply sorry" over any hurt caused by his comments made in a speech last week, in which he quoted a medieval text characterizing some of the Prophet Muhammad's teachings as "evil and inhuman" and calling Islam a religion spread by the sword.

Benedict said the remarks came from a text that didn't reflect his own opinion, but he did not retract what he said or say he was sorry he uttered what proved to be explosive words.

The Vatican on Monday sought to defuse the anger, ordering papal representatives around the world to meet with leaders of Muslim countries to explain the pope's point of view and full context of his speech.

Roman Catholic leaders stepped forward to defend the pontiff. At an Italian bishops' conference, Cardinal Camillo Ruini underlined the bishops' "total closeness and solidarity to the pope" and said they deplored interpretations of the pope's comments "which attribute to the Holy Father ... errors that he has not committed and aim at attacking his person and his ministry."

Few in the Islamic world were satisfied by Benedict's statement of regret.

"The pope's words have caused a deep wound in the hearts of Muslims that won't heal for a long time, and then only after a clear apology to Muslims," Egypt's religious affairs minister, Mahmoud Hamdi Zaqzouq, wrote in a column in the government daily Al-Ahram on Monday.

An influential Egyptian cleric, Sheik Youssef al-Qaradawi, called for protests after weekly prayers on Friday, but maintained they should be peaceful.

Extremists said the pope's comments proved that the West was in a war against Islam.

Al-Qaida in Iraq and its allies issued a statement addressing the pope as "a cross-worshipper" and warning, "You and the West are doomed, as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere.

"You infidels and despots, we will continue our jihad (holy war) and never stop until God avails us to chop your necks and raise the fluttering banner of monotheism, when God's rule is established governing all people and nations," said the statement by the Mujahedeen Shura Council, an umbrella organization of Sunni Arab extremist groups in Iraq.

Another Iraqi extremist group, Ansar al-Sunna, challenged "sleeping Muslims" to prove their manhood by doing something other than "issuing statements or holding demonstrations."

"If the stupid pig is prancing with his blasphemies in his house," the group said in a Web statement, referring to the pope, "then let him wait for the day coming soon when the armies of the religion of right knock on the walls of Rome."

In Iran, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei used the comments to call for protests against the United States. He argued that while the pope may have been deceived into making his remarks, the words give the West an "excuse for suppressing Muslims" by depicting them as terrorists.

"Those who benefit from the pope's comments and drive their own arrogant policies should be targeted with attacks and protests," he said, referring to the United States.

The anger recalled the outrage earlier this year over cartoons depicting the prophet published by a Danish paper. The caricatures, which Muslims saw as insulting Muhammad, set off large, violent protests across the Islamic world.

So far, protests over the pope's comments have been smaller. However, there has been some violence: Attackers hurled firebombs at seven churches in the West Bank and Gaza Strip over the weekend, and a nun was shot to death in Somalia.

Some 200 Khamenei loyalists in the Syrian capital, Damascus, held a protest Monday at an Islamic shrine, dismissing the pope's apology. "The pope's sorrow was equivocal," read one banner.

Dozens protested outside the Vatican Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, and schools and shops in the Indian-controlled section of Kashmir shut their doors in protest.

"His comments really hurt Muslims all over the world," Umar Nawawi of the radical Islamic Defenders' Front said in Jakarta. "We should remind him not to say such things which can only fuel a holy war."

Islamic countries also asked the U.N. Human Rights Council to examine the question of religious tolerance. Malaysia's foreign minister, Syed Hamid Albar, said Benedict's apology was "inadequate to calm the anger."

In Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood said the anger should not be allowed to hurt ties with the Middle East's Christian minorities. But worries among Christians in the region are high.

Guards have been posted around some churches, and the head of Egypt's Orthodox Coptic Church, Pope Shenouda III, disassociated himself from Benedict's statements.

The Dominican mission in Cairo also criticized Benedict's words, saying he chose a text for his speech that "revived the polemics of the past."

"These comments, seen by many Muslims as hurtful, risk encouraging extremists on all sides," it said in a statement, "and put in danger all the advances in dialogue made in recent decades."

© 2006 The Associated Press.

Khamenei is a jerk !!! And somehow he blames the U.S. What else is new ? And what's the story with the 'protests' ? Is it a Muslim thing, or what ? These guys just love to jump around in the street, burning stuff and chanting 'Death To ...'. Don't these people work ? That's why the Middle East is so screwed up. They're always 'protesting' something when they should be a work, being productive. Thin-skinned crybabies, if you ask me.

PropellerAds
Attackers hurled firebombs at seven churches in the West Bank and Gaza Strip over the weekend, and a nun was shot to death in Somalia.

This is what comes from stoking the fires of hatred.

The Muslim leaders who raising such an outcry about a comment taken out of context knew events like this would occur. The smart ones are trying to calm everyone down before it goes too far.

There are Muslims that are out protecting Christian churches now to keep them from being attacked. Those men should be commended and they are the ones doing the most to promote dialogue between the religions, not the ones calling for protests.

So let me get this straight....

Drawing picture of muhammed = Mass insult, riots, international boycott and death threats.

Burning effigy of Pope = Acceptable behaviour. Any sort of adverse reaction from the Christian world would be seen as Islamophobic. Christians are not allowed to be insulted, and they certainly are not allowed to express their anger in a manner that would insult their highly strung muslim counterparts.

It's about time this scenario changed.

As for the 'Mujahedeen Shura Council', may i suggest napalm.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hosted.ap(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/dynamic/stories/M/MUSLIMS_POPE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT"]Link[/url]

Sep 18, 3:56 PM EDT

Iranian Leader Urges More Papal Protests

By LEE KEATH

Associated Press Writer

Your title doesn't match the original title of the article, kindly change it.

This particular title is direspectful to a religious figure & could be seen as hoping for an assassination attempt, or wrongfully attributing assassinations to Muslims...

Khamenei is a jerk !!! And somehow he blames the U.S. What else is new ? And what's the story with the 'protests' ? Is it a Muslim thing, or what ? These guys just love to jump around in the street, burning stuff and chanting 'Death To ...'. Don't these people work ? That's why the Middle East is so screwed up. They're always 'protesting' something when they should be a work, being productive. Thin-skinned crybabies, if you ask me.

I'd be very careful about Is it a Muslim thing, because your bordering on discrimination and slander.

Protests & riots, with whatever voilence & destruction that accompanies them isn't a Muslim phenomenon. There have been plenty of violent & destructive riots in the West, whose participants have been non-Muslims...

As for the 'Mujahedeen Shura Council', may i suggest napalm.

You're in violation of rule 18...

This particular title is direspectful to a religious figure & could be seen as hoping for an assassination attempt, or wrongfully attributing assassinations to Muslims...[/i]

I'd be very careful about Is it a Muslim thing, because your bordering on discrimination and slander.

I can think of one Somalian nun who may disagree with your assessment.

Protests & riots, with whatever voilence & destruction that accompanies them isn't a Muslim phenomenon. There have been plenty of violent & destructive riots in the West, whose participants have been non-Muslims...

Yep, they do happen everywhere. But it's usually over something substantial, like a Super Bowl victory, not the words of an old man. :D And they're certainly not directed at a certain group of people. :D

:D and Peace,

The behaviour of these Muslims is unacceptable. Burning effigies of anyone is not allowed. When the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was having rocks thrown at him until his feet bled, did he go in the streets and burn effigies or kill nuns? The mala'ika told him that he could squash the whole town between two mountains, but he said no. And he (peace be upon him) was being beaten nearly to death. One man says something ignorant, and we have to start burning religious symbols and kill innocent people? Unacceptable. No one can bear the sins of another person. In Somalia, they arrested 3 men in connection with the nun's murder. I hope Shariah will be applied and the murderers are executed. Not only did they kill an innocent person, a religious person (!), but they've started a wave of hate that is going to boil over in every town, city and country where Christians and Muslims live together.

And, I encourage all the brothers and sisters here to have some sort of dialogue with the Roman Catholic community in your area. We can't just live in a bubble. And stop trying to be macho and defend what some of our brothers are doing.

the behaviour of some muslims was terrible but if MR KAFIR wants me to get appologetic then they can stick thier thoughts where the sun dont shine... alright some people went OTT and then the media focused on them and said thats muslims for you but that does NOT mean the rest of us are like that, if you cant get that through your #### filled heads then i think you need to see a doctor as your obviously suffering something contagious...

Muslims will lose a holy war... wow... with all the weapons and might in the world you cant even take out a few old men with ak47's, turbans and flip flops.....

the behaviour of some muslims was terrible but if MR KAFIR wants me to get appologetic then they can stick thier thoughts where the sun dont shine... alright some people went OTT and then the media focused on them and said thats muslims for you but that does NOT mean the rest of us are like that, if you cant get that through your #### filled heads then i think you need to see a doctor as your obviously suffering something contagious...

Muslims will lose a holy war... wow... with all the weapons and might in the world you cant even take out a few old men with ak47's, turbans and flip flops.....

Calm down, it'll be ok. You're making matters worse with fowl language and making yourself look real bad.

Hey man, chill before you end up shooting a nun in the back. :D

or should that be i should chill otherwise your going to kill some randomn baby :D

what i cant understand is that why do you muppets expect us muslims to be appologetic for the actions of other muslims, for example how many priests have been locked up for kiddy fidling? do muslims say 'its a christian thing' or something along them lines? NO, we dont because we realise that there are idiots everywhere who will shed religion under a bad light...

now either you understand and are just out there to start another war or your just plain thick... whichever it is may someone help you

and also brother if you think im making myself look bad then your entitled to your opinion, i dont see why we should always answer for the mistakes of other muslims because if the kafir had to answer for thier mistakes then theyd never shut up!

Edited by shaidmahmood

Muslims claim to be part of the "Ummah". Do you see Christians make any claim like this? No. Christianity is a personal religion. Islam is like a collective. By definition, you are more responsible for the actions of other Muslims.

and also brother if you think im making myself look bad then your entitled to your opinion, i dont see why we should always answer for the mistakes of other muslims because if the kafir had to answer for thier mistakes then theyd never shut up!

You're saying because you're Muslim you make less mistakes than a non-Muslim?

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

You're in violation of rule 18...

Since when were Mujahedeen considered civilians, soldiers of god are they not?

You're saying because you're Muslim you make less mistakes than a non-Muslim?

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

no i didnt... i think you better read again.... dont throw accusations around if you cant understand something then ask and dont make your fowl judgements!

I'm not looking for a fight. I'm attempting to hold down a dispute from going over the edge. I see that my attempts are failing.

This topic was about the possibility of Muslims going as far as to kill the pope due to rage and unfortunately you're proving the existence of this rage with the mood you're setting.

not really bro you just misunderstood and accused me of something which aint true, but bro it dont matter lets put it behind us...

also im not setting any mood i just dont see why we are made to feel as if we should apologise for the actions of others all the time...

Muslims claim to be part of the "Ummah". Do you see Christians make any claim like this? No. Christianity is a personal religion. Islam is like a collective. By definition, you are more responsible for the actions of other Muslims.

So by siding with the USA are you personally more responsible for thier attrocities, rapes, murder, baby killings? Be sensible plz

So by siding with the USA are you personally more responsible for thier attrocities, rapes, murder, baby killings? Be sensible plz

The US has never claimed to be any sort of collective. There is no American "Ummah".

I don't think Muslims want a real holy war. They will lose, terribly.

Einstein, who won the crusades?? Not Christians. It was the Muslims who won.

And what about Watts, and other violence, the Rodney King? riots? What about that.

There have been many many, violent riots in America and the West, more then little Muslims riots about cartoons and the pope, that have caused more damage and killed more people so get your facts straight.

The US has never claimed to be any sort of collective. There is no American "Ummah".

So you forgot the shining beacon of light, the civilised west, your either with us or against us talk after 9/11?

There have been many many, violent riots in America and the West, more then little Muslims riots about cartoons and the pope, that have caused more damage and killed more people so get your facts straight.

Muppet, im not going to go into who's harder waffle as we can argue all day long and wont get anywhere

...I'd be very careful about 'Is it a Muslim thing' because your bordering on discrimination and slander...

Asking a question can NOT be slander. And '200 Taliban Martyred' wasn't my title, either. But I guess that's 'different.' The only person I see interpretting the title as condoning a killing is you. It does not. Way too much censorship going on on this site.

Edited by diverdown

You mean its actually not 'One nation, indivisible under God?' :D

So you forgot the shining beacon of light, the civilised west, your either with us or against us talk after 9/11?

That's Bush talk. Most Americans don't agree with him.