Islamic Forum
diverdown

How Long Before Someone Takes A Shot At Benedict Xvi ?

I have read this statement about ten times and still cannot figure out the meaning. What exactly do you mean by this Yasnov?

Well, that must be a wrong statement, I misunderstood his statement. I retract it. :D

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

PropellerAds
In that context I agree with you, although I'm all in favour of an 'eye for an eye' justice system. However, if the Pope forgave his would-be assasin then so be it. I was in favour of his execution in no small part due to the potential damage caused had this idiot actually succeeded.
"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind."

Greetings again, Ozy,

I forget who said it, but don't want to take credit myself. It speaks of a retributive justice heedless of consequences. By the time the vengeance takers have taken vengeance for the vengeance taken for the vengeance taken ... the spiral of responsibility becomes too tangled to unweave. Vengeneance itself is not a reasonable, or moral, goal if it does not lead to justice.

In this particular case, "an eye for an eye" would have been entirely inappropriate. It would result in executing the would-be assassin while leaving the covert ops KGB team free of any harm. Worse, the culture of the young man was one of poorly understood antagonism toward the Roman Catholics, and his death would then have likely been misrepresented as a martyrdom, making his execution worse than useless.

The true genius of the christian theology is a means for ending the cycle of retributive violence by "turning the other cheek." Of course, in practice, it's not observed, but it's still a brilliant concept — to look for a solution rather than contributing mindlessly to the problem. It was borrowed from other traditions, of course, as there is very little innovation even in newly founded religions. I'm unsure if there is an equivalent modality in sharia.

As ever, Jesse

"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind."

But I think that statement is flawed and absurd. Not everyone in this world will commit crimes that cost them an eye. It's only a tiny minority comitting it.

When 'an eye for an eye' is carried out, it must be based in accordance with the law. Not everyone can apply it.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

The Roman Catholic Church , at least in recent history ,has taken the position, that it opposes the death penalty , no matter who .

And that is a matter of fact .The pope [John23 ] accentuated that by forgiveness , even if there would have been a death penalty had the pope died of injuries recieved in that assasination , the church would have taken the same position .

I disagree with that however , due to the depravity and decietfullness of the human mind .

If murderers could somehow be totally removed from society , and any further influence on any segment of society totally removed , that is a total incommunicato accomplished ., then I would take the position of the church ....but at present that is impossible ....so , WHACK'em . :D

But I think that statement is flawed and absurd. Not everyone in this world will commit crimes that cost them an eye. It's only a tiny minority comitting it.

When 'an eye for an eye' is carried out, it must be based in accordance with the law. Not everyone can apply it.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Alaikum assalam, Yasnov,

I don't believe that's the spirit of the aphorism. It's in line with pointing out how creating blindness is not a cure for blindness. We hope our society will find methods to avoid violent actions, yet if we use violent actions in pursuit of the goal, we risk escalating conflict. In a world of multiple state actors, there is no real way to apply justice across multiple borders. There is no law that constrains all peoples, though in principle we can find goals held in common to perform the same function.

As ever, Jesse

Not everyone in this world will commit crimes that cost them an eye. It's only a tiny minority comitting it.

:D

Ummm...it's not meant to be taken completely literally.

:D

An eye for an eye , simply means the punishment should fit the crime .....and not exceed it .