Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Manuel-II-Palaiologos

Crusades?

What's the big deal? They were a defensive conflict, according to Muslims they somehow 'found themselves' in control of an Empire stretching from Southern Spain to India all through 'peaceful' means, right? Muslims attacked the Greek Roman Empire of the East first, then they struck back with Martel at Tours and the Byzantines at Constantinople in the 8th century and the Muslims don't like it? The crusades continued this and checked Muslim expansion.

I don't know about you but the second arab siege of constantinople, the battle of tours, the battle of vienna and the battle of lepanto are anniversaries of great importance to me.

PropellerAds

In the West, revisionist history is frowned up. The cases where it has happened, people have made an effort to restore our knowledge of the actual facts. This doesn't seem to be the case with Muslims when they talk about the Golden Age of Islam. They believe their Muslim empire was benevolent, as though a conqueror has EVER been benevolent. They believe the people they conquered WANTED to be conquered. They simply refuse to believe anything that could ever paint their former empires as human, like the rest of us.

Edited by The Real Mega

They simply refuse to believe anything that could ever paint their former empires as human, like the rest of us.

Not to burst your bubble but I think our Byzantine friend doesn't consider 'his' empires as human, like the 'rest of us'.

Not to burst your bubble but I think our Byzantine friend doesn't consider 'his' empires as human, like the 'rest of us'.

Then he's no better than the people he's railing against. /shrug

They believe the people they conquered WANTED to be conquered.

Yes, that part always cracks me up.

Muslims paint the old boring tale of 'Christians being allowed to worship openly', it gets old but it's also a lie.

There were times when it was acceptable, but way it was reminds me of a quote from Animal Farm: "Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others". Worshipping by non-Muslims had to be done in privacy most of the time, where it didn't bother Muslims, and that was for the "People of the Book". If you were a polytheist it was even tougher.

Islam doesn't stand a chance against the West.

*sighs*

Islam and the West? Are either Islam or the West monolithic entities? Not in my eyes. It's sort of like saying Buddhism can never overcome Greenland or Heinz tomato ketchup will destroy Microsoft. Oh and Livius don't consider this guy your ally. You're an urbane educated person with some very ingrained liberal ideals. He's not. And yes I can tell that from just a few posts...that's how good I am. In the long run the Byzantine here is a greater threat to you and yours than 'we' will ever be.