Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Okay Creationists, It's Time To Put Your Heads In The Sand

Remains of earliest child discovered in Ethiopia

By Patricia ReaneyWed Sep 20, 3:16 PM ET

A 3.3 million-year-old skeleton of the earliest child ever found shows the ancient ancestor of modern humans walked upright but may also have climbed trees, scientists said on Wednesday.

They found the well-preserved remains of a three-year-old girl of the species Australopithecus afarensis -- which includes the fossil skeleton known as "Lucy" -- in the Dikika area of Ethiopia, 400 kms northeast of the capital Addis Ababa.

"It represents the earliest and most complete partial skeleton of a child ever found in the history of paeleoanthropology," said Dr Zeresenay Alemseged, of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany.

The skull, torso and upper and lower limbs, including the hand, show both human and ape-like features. The state of the ancient bones suggest she was buried in a flood which may also have caused her death.

The remains provide the first evidence of what babies of early human ancestors looked like. The nearly complete skeleton will also provide information about the child's height and structure.

"This child will help us understand a lot about the species to which it belongs," said Alemseged, leader of the international team of scientists who reported the findings in the journal Nature.

"The lower part of the body, which includes the foot, the shin bone and the thigh bone clearly shows us that this species was an upright walking creature," he told Reuters.

But some of the features from the upper part of the body, including the shoulder blade and arms are more ape-like. The fingers are long and curved which suggest she might have been able to swing through trees.

"The finding is the most complete hominid skeleton ever found in the world," Zeresenay Alemseged, who is head of the Paleoanthropological Research Team, told a news conference in Addis Ababa.

He said the fossil was older than the 3.2-million-year-old remains of "Lucy" discovered in 1974 and described by scientists as one of the world's greatest archaeological finds.

"The new bones belong to a three-year-old girl who lived 3.3 million years ago, 150,000 years before Lucy," Zeresenay said.

The fossil has been named "Selam," which means peace in Ethiopia's official Amharic language.

JUVENILE "LUCY"

Dr Simon Underdown of Oxford Brookes University in England described it as a massively exciting discovery of a juvenile "Lucy." "This tremendous fossil will make us challenge many of the ideas we have about how and why we came to walk on two feet," he said.

An analysis of the sediment in which the remains were found enabled researchers to build a picture of the type of environment in which the child lived.

It was a lush area with flowing water, forests and grassland which was also affected by volcanic eruptions. The range of habitats was suitable for hippos, crocodiles and relatives of the wildebeest.

"We can see from the sediment that the region was very much characterized by a mosaic of environment that ranged from forests and woodlands near the rivers, to seasonally flooded grasslands to a flood plain that would have supported more open vegetation," said Dr Jonathan Wynn of the University of South Florida who dated the sediments surrounding the remains.

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

PropellerAds

salaams

As far as I see, The question mark that Lucy presented is still there.

This can only underscore the previous one.

I doubt if scholars care enough about anthropology to even give this a second thought.

MAybe carbon dating is a Fitna created by Satan :D

Peace

Well many muslims seem to take an old earth creationist view so they will just dismiss it as a prehistoric ape .

I have recently noticed a worrying increase among muslims of the idiocy that is young earth cretinism in which case they would dismiss it as a modern ape with deformities and ignore the age because they don't accept any radio-dating (unless it agrees with them of course)

Obviously as a godless heathen with an interest in evolution I find the discovery amazing though I expect to see much drivel from cretinists on other forums :D

WOW, a deformed, monkey, humaniod creature... very good tangible evidence of evolution.... bla bla

The only real life proof of evolution is what mitsubishi create....

WOW, a deformed, monkey, humaniod creature... very good tangible evidence of evolution.... bla bla

The only real life proof of evolution is what mitsubishi create....

Translation please? :D

Evilution sucks and Japanese make nice cars perhaps ? :D

Thanks for clarifying :D ..because what I understand was "Bla Bla Bla...I'm right and your're wrong".

Peace

Don't forget that God can have a place in Evolution!

Evolution says nothing concrete about ambiogenesis. That is, it doesn't know how life began in the first place. So there is a gap there where you can squeeze in whichever god you so chose!

Edited by Liberté

Don't forget that God can have a place in Evolution!

Evolution says nothing concrete about ambiogenesis. That is, it doesn't know how life began in the first place. So there is a gap there where you can squeeze in whichever god you so chose!

Ofcourse, this is true. The only reason that 'god' isn't mentioned in evolution theory is that god could be responsible for any number of things.

Since all evolution really says is that 'living things change slowly over time' + 'survival of the fittest principle' = development

You could insert god anywhere....at the beginning(amino acids first forming proteins, or the first DNA), in the middle(god creates the earth and basic plants and animals etc and then lets it all work automatically) or continuously(god is responsible for each individual change in DNA and the environment) or even at the end(god create the whole universe two seconds ago but also created all of the fossils etc to make it look as though evolution happens)

Ofcourse, I don't think that any discoveries are really going to change the creationists minds, just make them less vocal. They always say 'where is the missing link?' When we find yet another relative in between ape ancestors and modern humans, they say where's the link between that one and the rest?' and so on and so on. It's unfair to expect us to give a chain of fossils showing every step of our evolution. It's so rare for fossils to occur, its only likely that we can make such a chain with organisms that live in huge numbers, such as beetles or molluscs.

~Peace

~RN

Peace,

We're finished fellow believers! I fear our ancient scheme of convincing the atheists that a giant, glorious (male) mood-god has formed the cosmos with his bare hands has seemingly collapsed. Where to, I ask? I can almost sense the ghost of Charles Darwin dancing around us in delight in light of this historical discovery. The notion of Creation is doomed, damn you Charles! Damn you to what we call Hell!

As ever,

Avicenna