Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue of Music in Islam

Conclusion

Perhaps – for fair-minded and objective readers – this summary will make it clear that the view that music is permissible has no firm basis. There are no two views on this matter. So we must advise in the best manner, and then take it step by step and denounce music, if we are able to do so. We should not be deceived by the fame of a man in our own times in which the people who are truly committed to Islam have become strangers. The one who says that singing and musical instruments are permitted is simply supporting the whims of people nowadays, as if the masses were issuing fatwas and he is simply signing them! If a matter arises, they will look at the views of fuqahaa’ on this matter, then they will take the easiest view, as they claim. Then they will look for evidence, or just specious arguments which are worth no more than a lump of dead meat. How often have these people approved things in the name of sharee’ah which in fact have nothing to do with Islam!

Strive to learn your Islam from the Book of your Lord and the Sunnah of your Prophet. Do not say, So-and-so said, for you cannot learn the truth only from men. Learn the truth and then measure people against it. This should be enough for the one who controls his whims and submits himself to his Lord. May what we have written above heal the hearts of the believers and dispel the whispers in the hearts of those who are stricken with insinuating whispers. May it expose everyone who is deviating from the path of Revelation and taking the easiest options, thinking that he has come up with something which none of the earlier generations ever achieved, and speaking about Allaah without knowledge. They sought to avoid fisq (evildoing) and ended up committing bid’ah – may Allaah not bless them in it. It would have been better for them to follow the path of the believers.

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless and grant peace to His Messenger who made clear the path of the believers, and to his companions and those who follow them in truth until the Day of Judgement.

Summary of a paper entitled al-Darb bi’l-Nawa li man abaaha al-Ma’aazif li’l-Hawa by Shaykh Sa’d al-Deen ibn Muhammad al-Kibbi.

For more information, please see:

Al-I’laam bi Naqd Kitaab al-Halaal wa’l-Haraam, by Shaykh al-‘Allaamah Saalih ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan

Al-Samaa’ by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn al-Qayyim

Tahreem Aalaat al-Tarab, by Shaykh Muhammad Naasir al-Deen al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him)

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=5000&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...e&QR=5000&dgn=4[/url]

PropellerAds

Sunnipath reach this conclusion on Music and Singing

Conclusion

In the light of the above evidences from the Qur’an, sayings of our beloved Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give peace) and texts of the various Fuqaha, the following is the decisive ruling with regards to music:

Musical instruments that are solely designed for entertainment are unlawful, with or without singing. However, to play the tambourine (daf) at weddings (and other occasions according to some fuqaha) will be permissible.

As far as the songs are concerned, if they consist of anything that is unlawful or they prevent one from the obligatory duties, then they will be unlawful. However, if they are free from the abovementioned things (and they are not accompanied by instruments), then it will be permissible to sing them.

And Allah Knows best

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1786&CATE=142"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1786&CATE=142[/url]

:D

Now that you've read what scholars had to say about the issue, please feel free to discuss it here. We remind our dear members to show due respect to ALL scholars in whatever your discussion takes you. Any violation will be met strictly according to our forum rules.

:D for this thread/ room/ thing.

i feel it is like alcohol. when there is some good in it. but the harm far outstrips the good. the good being pleasure, and the harm being missing prayers acting like the singer. become obsessed with these things and the shaytaan will eventually drive you away. there is a hadeeth i think that says Shaytaan will try and make you commit shirk, if he cannot do that then he will make you leave the fardh, if he cannot do that then he will make you leave the sunnah.... etc.

reference please?

salaam

One of the common signs of approach of the Hour, which has spread all over the world, is the excessive use of musical instruments. Unfortunately, most of the Muslims consider the musical entertainment to be a legal practice. The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, had forewarned against such use of musical instruments and warned such entertainers from being transformed into monkeys and pigs. Extensive false accusations of unchastity, slander, and earth's settling and sinking down, as well as transformation of people into monkeys and pigs) would appear.

In an authentic hadith narrated by Ibn Majah, the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said:

Sahl ibn Sa`d reported that Allah's Messenger, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said, what means: "At the end of the world, the earth will settle, there will be false accusations of unchastity, slander and transformation of people into monkey and pigs." It was asked, "When, O Messenger of Allah?" He said: "When the musical entertainment and signers appear."

In another report related by Al-Bukhari, the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said:

Narrated Abu `Amir or Abu Malik al-Ash`ari that he heard the Prophet saying: "From among my Ummah, there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, wearing of the silk, drinking of alcoholic drinks and use of musical instruments as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening the (poor) shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something (to fulfill his needs), but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs, and they will remain so until the day of Resurrection."

TABLE OF CONTENTS

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#A"]Preface[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#B"]Chapter 1: Analysis of Quraanic Texts and Commentaries[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#C"]A. Verses Claimed to Indicate Legality of Music[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#D"] 1. The First Verse[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#E"] 2. The Second Verse[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#F"]B. Quraanic Verses Alleged to Indicate Prohibition of Music[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#G"] 1. The First Verse[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#H"] 2. The Second Verse[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#I"] 3. The Third Verse[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#J"]Chapter 2: Critical Analysis of the Hadeeth Literature[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#K"]A. The Traditions and their Degree of Authenticity[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#L"] 1. The Narration of Al-Bukhaari[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#M"] 2. The Narration of Ibn Maajah[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#N"] 3. The Narrations Ahamd bin Hanbal[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#O"] 4. The Narration of Al-Haakim and Others[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music1.html#P"] 5. The Narration of Abu Bakr Ash-Shaafi'ee[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#A"]Chapter 3: Consensus of the Companions, Taabi'een, Imams and other Fuqahaa[/url]

Edited by al-malabari

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#B"]A. The Position of the Companions on this Issue[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#C"]B. The View of the Taabi'een, Imams and Scholars after Them[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#D"] 1. Imam Abu Haneefah[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#E"] 2. Imam Maalik[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#F"] 3. Imam Ash-Shaafi'ee[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#G"] 4. Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#H"]C. Those Who Approved of Singing and Its Refutation[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music2.html#I"]Chapter 4: The Wisdom Behind Its Prohibition by the Divively-revealed Shari'ah[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#A"]Chapter 5: Exceptions to the Rule of Prohibition as Indicated by the Authentic Sunnah[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#B"]A. Examples of Occasions Specified by the Sunnah[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#C"] 1. Jihaad and Its Adjuncts[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#D"] 2. The Celebration of the two 'Eed Festivals[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#E"] 3. The Wedding Feast[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#F"] 4. The Arrival of a Respected Personality[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#G"]B. Other Occasions Agreed upon by Scholars[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music3.html#H"]C. Occasions Differed Upon by Scholars: A Critical Analysis and Refutati[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#A"]Chapter 6: Synopsis of Preceeding Shari'ah Texts along with Conclusions to be Drawn from Them[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#B"]A. Musical Instruments[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#C"]B. Singing (Ghinaa)[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#D"]C. Related Issues Proceeding from the General Rule of Prohibition[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#E"] 1. Dancing[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#F"] 2. Professions Connected with Music and Its Adjuncts[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#G"] 3. The Muslim's Duty Regarding It[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#H"] 4. The Varying Gravity of the Sinfullness of Music and Singing[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#I"]D. Some Acceptable Alternatives to Prohibited forms of Music and Singing[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#J"] 1. Recitation of and Listening to the Reading of Allah's Book[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#K"] 2. Singing and Listening to Islamic Songs[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#L"] 3. Remembrance of Allah (dhikr)[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#M"] 4. Healthy Physical Sports[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_members.tripod(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/oum_abdulaziz/music4.html#N"]Conclusion[/url]

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Dear al-Malabari

I did not realise this book by Abu Abu Bilaal Mustafa al-Kanadi was available online, I have the actual book in my library, and mashaa'Allaah what a good book it is, it leaves no room for anyone to doubt the truth or play with Allaah's Deen and make false ta'weel of ahadeeeth or seek to weaken them in order to strengthen their position in making halaal what Allaah has made haraam.

I hope that what you have posted is of benefit for those who desire the truth, as for those whose minds are already made up or only wish to follow their vein desires then I ask Allaah to expand their chests and open their hearts until they accept and submit to the truth, and that is that which was the understanding and consensus of the Sahaabah (radee Allaahu ‘anhum), amen!

Jazak’Allaahu khair!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I have formatted the various links brother al-Malabari posted (jazak'Allaahu khair!) into one Ebook for easier reading inshaa'Allaah, you can view / download it here:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.calltoislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=174&Itemid=28"]Music & Singing in Light of the Qur'aan & Sunnah[/url]

May it be a benefit to all of us, amen!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

:D brothers. I have downloaded the ebook, and shall read it :D. Ameen to the duas. May Allah :D Guide us and keep us on tawheed and away from things that He does not like.

Wassalam

PS : Got an error while downloading. Brother aboo_uthmaan please check.

As-salaamu 'alaikum

It is working fine for me, and I have checked all possibilities and everything seems set up and uploaded ok. If you still have problems then let me know inshaa'Allaah!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

I have formatted the various links brother al-Malabari posted (jazak'Allaahu khair!) into one Ebook for easier reading inshaa'Allaah, you can view / download it here:

:D brother!

Got an error while downloading.

I managed to successfully download

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Wa eyyakum sister!

If you are still having problems downloading the Ebook brother Abu Rafay then let me know inshaa'Allaah!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

the Hadith that everyone seems to be quoting surely only outlaws the playing of instruments? so surely it doesnt prohibit listening to music? so non-muslims could write music and muslims could listen to it?

in the same way, (in the Islamic and christian worlds) in the middle ages jews were used as bankers because Islam and christianity prohibited charging interest (i think)

i have gathered that there are also texts that prohibit/restrict singing, so where does instrumental (without vocals) music come in to the debate?

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I am sorry to say this but citing one hadeeth and then trying to prove by it that it only means we can't play musical instruments but we can listen to them is defunct logic.

There are numerous proofs about music, try not to be so selective (i.e. taking that which you believe to be for you; rather take it all and then submit to it) and read all the other proofs, including the Tafsir of the aayaat pertaining to this issue.

With Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

:D brother for the e-book.

w/salaam

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I am sorry to say this but citing one hadeeth and then trying to prove by it that it only means we can't play musical instruments but we can listen to them is defunct logic.

There are numerous proofs about music, try not to be so selective (i.e. taking that which you believe to be for you; rather take it all and then submit to it) and read all the other proofs, including the Tafsir of the aayaat pertaining to this issue.

With Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

yes i'm sure you are right - although i havent seen/read many other quotations relating to music. i was just referring to the one people seem to quote most often

"there are those who think............. the playing of musical instruments to be haram..." or something similar

Dear Ezkerraldean

I am sorry, when I responded to you I did not check and assumed you were Muslim, but it seems that you are not, right?

Which hadeeth are you referring to?

Regards

Aboo Uthmaan

Dear Ezkerraldean

I am sorry, when I responded to you I did not check and assumed you were Muslim, but it seems that you are not, right?

Which hadeeth are you referring to?

Regards

Aboo Uthmaan

it was this quote i was talking about:

"That he heard the Prophet saying “from amongst my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of mountain and in the evening their shepherded will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, ‘return to us tomorrow.’ Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

(Sahih Al Bukhari. Vol. 7. Book 69. Hadith 494B)

Assalamu alaikum,

The question of the permissibility of Music in Islam is a disputed matter. What we need to be careful is that taking a stand that it is prohibited in Islam is very dangerous. Because it is not a simple matter for men to declare something Haraam. It will tantamount to squeeze the freedom of humankind for all times, and that is why such authority is not given to anyone.

‘Say: who has forbidden the beautiful gifts of Allah, which he has produced for his servants and the things, clean and pure, (which he has provided) for sustenance? - (7:32)

Let me quote from Fatwa issued by Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi in this regard again in the beginning of this discussion.

In the light of the above, it is clear that the religious texts that stand as a basis for those who maintain that singing is haram are either ambiguous or inauthentic. None of the hadiths attributed to Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is valid as evidence on the judgment of prohibition. Moreover, all these hadiths are declared ‘weak’ by the followers of Ibn Hazm, Malik, Ibn Hanbal, and Ash-Shafi`i.
In his book, Al-Ahkam, Al-Qadi Abu Bakr Ibn Al-`Arabi says, “None of the hadiths maintaining that singing is prohibited are considered authentic (by the scholars of the Science of Hadith Methodology).†The same view is maintained by Al-Ghazali and Ibn An-Nahwi in Al-`Umdah. Ibn Tahir says, “Not even a single letter from all these Hadiths was proved to be authentic.â€
Ibn Hazm says, “All the hadiths narrated in this respect were invented and falsified.â€

Ar-Ruwaiyani narrates on the authority of Al-Qaffal that Malik Ibn Anas maintained that singing with musical instruments is permissible. Also, Abu Mansur Al-Furani quotes Malik as maintaining that playing the flute is permissible

Abu Al-Fadl Ibn Tahir narrates, “The people of Madinah never disputed over the permissibility of playing the lute.â€

Ibn An-Nahwi narrates in his “Al-`Umdahâ€: “Ibn Tahir said, ‘The people of Madinah showed consensus over this (issue). Also, all the Zahiriyyah maintained the same

Imam Ash-Shawkani says in his book “Nayl Al-Awtarâ€, “The people of Madinah and those who agreed with them from among the Zahiriyyah and the Sufis maintain that singing is permissible, even when it is accompanied by a musical instrument such as the lute or the flute. Abu Mansur Al-Bughdadi Ash-Shafi`i narrate that `Abdullah Ibn Ja`far saw nothing wrong in singing, and he, himself, used to compose the music for his own slaves who used to sing these melodies in his presence. This took place during the time of Commander of the Faithful, `Ali Ibn Abi Talib. Abu Ja`far Al-Bughdadi narrates the same after Al-Qadi Shurayh, Sa`id Ibn Al-Musaiyb, `Ata’ Ibn Abu Rabah, Az-Zuhri and Ash-Shi`bi.â€

We shall not put unnecessary restrictions in life unless with clear evidences. This kind of restrictions will only drive the people away from Islam.

Wassalam

Dear Ezkerraldean

Yes, I thought it was this hadeeth.

In the hadeeth you cited it stated that a people will come and consider music lawful, so what was music before these people who considered music lawful came? It was unlawful, and the hadeeth also mentions these peoples punishment, would they be punished for doing something that is lawful? Of course not!

Regards

Aboo Uthmaan

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Dear angelf

I urge you to read the following book:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.calltoislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=174&Itemid=28"]Music & Singing in Light of the Qur'aan & Sunnah[/url]

And in it you will find endless statements of the Sahaabah and Tabi'een which prohibit music, the concensus of the 4 Imaams, Aboo Haneefah, Maalik, ash-Shaafi'ee, Ahmed bin Hanal in that they prohibited music and singing and the numerous ahaadeeth and a discussion on them and their authenticity.

May it be a benefit to you, aameen!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Dear angelf

I urge you to read the following book:

(www.)"http://calltoislam/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=174&Itemid=28"]Music & Singing in Light of the Qur'aan & Sunnah[/url]

And in it you will find endless statements of the Sahaabah and Tabi'een which prohibit music, the concensus of the 4 Imaams, Aboo Haneefah, Maalik, ash-Shaafi'ee, Ahmed bin Hanal in that they prohibited music and singing and the numerous ahaadeeth and a discussion on them and their authenticity.

May it be a benefit to you, aameen!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

Wassalam,

Have you read the statements of the sahaabahs, tabi'een and scholars i quoted above??????? do you deny those statements????

wassalam